Shorter Shafts??

Our Sponsors

Hey guys - 

Considering shortening my golf shafts. I'm short 5'4" and currently use standard length shafts. What would happen to my distance if I shorten the clubs. I am a 12-14 handicapper and hit an 8 iron about 155. I would gladly give up some distance if I would see an increase in accuract (which I expect). I just don't want to lose a full club. My thought is cutting 1/2 inch off. - Thanks.

• Like 2

Sub70 699Pro: 5&6 Irons

Sub70 639CB: 7-PW

Driver: Taylor Made M2

3-Wood: Callaway Rogue

Ball: ProV1

Putter: Groove PH

2 minutes ago, Pupini said:

Hey guys - 

Considering shortening my golf shafts. I'm short 5'4" and currently use standard length shafts. What would happen to my distance if I shorten the clubs. I am a 12-14 handicapper and hit an 8 iron about 155. I would gladly give up some distance if I would see an increase in accuract (which I expect). I just don't want to lose a full club. My thought is cutting 1/2 inch off. - Thanks.

You might gain distance or you might lose distance.    Do you hit the sweetspot of the clubs consistently?  If shorting the clubs results in better contact you may get more distance even with a slower swingspeed.  For an idea of how it might work,  choke down on your club.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My contact is pretty decent. My wear mark is more like a quarter instead of a dime, and it is a little I little high on the club face towards the toe. I know that will improve because trimming the shaft will make the club a little flatter, or so I've read.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pupini said:

My contact is pretty decent. My wear mark is more like a quarter instead of a dime, and it is a little I little high on the club face towards the toe. I know that will improve because trimming the shaft will make the club a little flatter, or so I've read.

If you are that consistent in hitting the same spot,  I probably wouldn't change anything. 

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

If you are that consistent in hitting the same spot,  I probably wouldn't change anything. 
Gotta agree with this. If you are that consistent, why would you want to change anything?
My guess (and it is only a guess knowing nothing about your swing or you other than your height) would be that you would lose distance.
If all you do is cut a 1/2" off the clubs, you will alter them severely. Lighter swing weight, flatter lie, etc. Obviously they can be adjusted but I would take cnosil's advice and try choking down first.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

Or you could try it on 1 club. Have a local fitter / builder make you a 7 or 8 iron, have it built exactly how you want it, and see how it plays compared to your current gamer.

• Like 1

grip down half an inch for awhile before doing anything drastic. 

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Thanks for the advice guys.

• Like 1

As already pointed out by others, impact location determines playing length. If you hit the ball well, don't change playing length. If you have issues with the contact, you can start with some adjustments. The advice to grip shorter is your first starting point, if you want to feel it out.

Cheers,
Michael

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I cut my driver down to 44.5" and picked up some distance and more consistency.  A couple of friends did the same (I have Mitchell equipment in my basement..LOL) and shaved strokes of their handicap.  I recommend it to most folks.

• Like 1

:ping-small:       Driver:  G410 LST 9 +1 Flat w/Tour AD DI 6X Orange

:taylormade-small:  3 Metal:   M2 13 degree w/Tour AD DJ 7X Orange

:titelist-small:          Hybrid:  818 21 

:mizuno-small:        4-PW:  MP 20  w/Dynamic Gold X100

:mizuno-small:        Wedges: 50-54-58: Mizuno MP T20 w/DG S400

:whitlam-golf-1:    Putter:  Joseph SS303 w/Super Stroke Fatso 5.0

:Snell:  Ball:  MTB Black

:1590477705_SunMountain: C130 S    🇺🇸    :skycaddie:

On 4/27/2020 at 7:03 AM, therod said:

Or you could try it on 1 club. Have a local fitter / builder make you a 7 or 8 iron, have it built exactly how you want it, and see how it plays compared to your current gamer.

That's the route I would go before cutting all my irons down.

• Like 1

I agree with most choking down is the best way to test it out if you want to ok make sure it's the right change. Put some masking tape on the top of the grip so not only is it a visual reminder but you will likely feel the texture difference when you grip it full for a reminder.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
3W:  Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 2
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50º: Maltby TSW

56º:  Cleveland RTX-2 
60º: Maltby Tour Grind MG
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot RX 2-ball

Ball: Snell MTB X
Other: Game Golf Live
Handicap: 5.9  -  Best Score: 73 (1 over) Bryan Park - Players Course, Greensboro NC -2020

2020 MGS Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 4/26/2020 at 11:05 AM, Pupini said:

Hey guys - 

Shortening the shaft will make the lie more upright, lower the swingweight, make the club slightly lighter, and could make it play a fraction stiffer. 

Being short usually means making the lie flatter with standard length clubs.

If you feel you have to make adjustments to get good strikes, have perfect timing, or just feel inconsistent, then getting fitted for shorter shafts may help. 

On good way to know a club is to long is how you stand. If you feel like you have to stand almost straight up and swing out to the ball, only to have the toe of the club sticking up in the air at impact then the clubs are too long.

Also, checking your divot for the heel digging in will show you. The goal is the divot to have the club enter and exit as square as possible. 

32 minutes ago, TimoTe said:

Shortening the shaft will make the lie more upright

All good points in your post except this one. Shortening the shafts will make the lie angle flatter with no adjustments. It is the reason I play shorter shafts but have to go 1* upright to compensate. 

• Like 1

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

• Guests
Guest Delete
1 hour ago, blackngold_blood said:

All good points in your post except this one. Shortening the shafts will make the lie angle flatter with no adjustments. It is the reason I play shorter shafts but have to go 1* upright to compensate. 

That's right. I was thinking that you would need to make the shorter club more upright because it sits more flat naturally after it has been shortened.  

Usually the person playing standard clubs that are too long already have the club too upright anyways.

Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for correcting me. 

I've done shorter driver lengths for people (and myself) as mentioned here.  And as mentioned typically find better control, with minimal to no loss of distance as the center of the clubface is found more consistently.  Finally convinced my brother to go this route, and now he's hitting it past me.  He's thrilled, I'm disappointed.  Love working with the adjustable heads that have all the various weight options, so we can try different swingweights once we get the length in the ballpark.  As a side benefit to better contact, increasing the weight of the head results in higher MOI and a more forgiving club as well.

• Like 1
On 5/9/2020 at 10:46 AM, pozzit said:

Put some masking tape on the top of the grip so not only is it a visual reminder but you will likely feel the texture difference when you grip it full for a reminder.

Great suggestion!

:ping-small:       Driver:  G410 LST 9 +1 Flat w/Tour AD DI 6X Orange

:taylormade-small:  3 Metal:   M2 13 degree w/Tour AD DJ 7X Orange

:titelist-small:          Hybrid:  818 21 

:mizuno-small:        4-PW:  MP 20  w/Dynamic Gold X100

:mizuno-small:        Wedges: 50-54-58: Mizuno MP T20 w/DG S400

:whitlam-golf-1:    Putter:  Joseph SS303 w/Super Stroke Fatso 5.0

:Snell:  Ball:  MTB Black

:1590477705_SunMountain: C130 S    🇺🇸    :skycaddie:

as a fellow 5'4 golfer when I was fit we went 1/4 short, but also 2-3 degrees flat which makes them essentially play "regular length."

I will say that I play with a 44.5-45 inch driver and that is light years better for me than the current "stock" lengths for drivers.  

Were you fit for your set?  Taking a little off could get you strike more to center if you favor the toe.. but that's just in theory.  Try choking up as other suggested and giving that try for a round or two.  If you think you'll forget use some tape to remind yourself to grip below it.

Either way let us know what you end up doing! 

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6X

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S vs :titelist-small: 818 H1 - Tensei Blue 70s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x vs :Snell: MTB-X vs :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

#cuetheduckboats

Anything is possible, but i've seen going shorter help more people than it hurt. Most of us hit the ball better when choking down. Im 6'1 and while I play my irons at standard length, I've shortened my hybrids by as much as 1 inch. Helps with contact, and the flatter lie reduces the hooks. 

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

• Driver: :ping-small: G410 Plus 9*, Oban Gold
  • Hybrids::adams-small:  Super XTD 17* Hybrid Fubuki AX:callaway-small:,  Apex 20* AD-DI 85S, Apex 23* Oban Purple
  • Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120s
  • Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 50, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter: :EVNROLL:  ER3 @ 33"

So I decided to cut down my 9 iron 1/4 inch and played a round on Sunday. I have to say that my strikes with that iron were very good. Playing another round on Friday and will see how it goes. Originally I tried chocking down, but it didn't have the same feel. Another two rounds are probably needed to make a decision unless a range opens up soon.  Thanks everyone.