Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Wedges - Vokey vs Ping

djaxgolf21

On 4/26/2020 at 11:48 PM, djaxgolf21 said:

Anyone have any head to head tests? is it all just preference? any REALLY preform better than others?

I think you need to know what you want from your wedges. What shots do you need from them? What grind suits you best taking into account your angle of attack and predominant course conditions. 

The data I would prioritise in your testing would be distance (helps with gapping), distance consistency and spin consistency. 

Personally, I have 52/56/60 split and I prefer lower grind wedges in the 56 and 60 for versatility. I use my 52 for full shots and low, back in the stance skiddy checkers of around 50 yards. It's a shot I need on holes with tiered greens when I don't want to fly it all the way there. 

If you play in wet conditions I think both Ping and Mizuno did well for maintaining spin.

Otherwise, whatever you get, enjoy them. Have fun practising with them and getting the feel of them. Wedges are my favourite club to buy. For me, the optimism fades quicker with putter and driver purchases. They're clubs I feel will ultimately let me down but I never get this feeling buying a wedge.  

On 4/29/2020 at 10:20 AM, jaybeemaestro said:

I think you need to know what you want from your wedges. What shots do you need from them? What grind suits you best taking into account your angle of attack and predominant course conditions. 

The data I would prioritise in your testing would be distance (helps with gapping), distance consistency and spin consistency. 

Personally, I have 52/56/60 split and I prefer lower grind wedges in the 56 and 60 for versatility. I use my 52 for full shots and low, back in the stance skiddy checkers of around 50 yards. It's a shot I need on holes with tiered greens when I don't want to fly it all the way there. 

If you play in wet conditions I think both Ping and Mizuno did well for maintaining spin.

Otherwise, whatever you get, enjoy them. Have fun practising with them and getting the feel of them. Wedges are my favourite club to buy. For me, the optimism fades quicker with putter and driver purchases. They're clubs I feel will ultimately let me down but I never get this feeling buying a wedge.  

100% agree. The kind of wedges you need to get is totally dependent on where and when you play. Any wedges from the major OEMs will perform well, it's just a matter of what fits you and your game.

I currently have a 52/58 setup with some older SM6s I got used, but I think my ideal split would be like yours. I hardly ever play when it's wet since I'm in the central valley of California, so it's generally hot and dry. Thus, I didn't need to worry about the hydrophobicity of the PING of Mizunos as much.

I agree with what others have said,  wedges are personal and dependent on the conditions you play under.  With that being said, I have never really liked Vokey Wedges.  I don't know why but the grinds I have tried just don't work for me.  I really like the new Ping Glide 3.0 wedges and have used each of the other Glide wedges.  Its a great mixture of forgiveness and feel

Ping G425 LST 10.5* - Rogue White 130

Ping G425 LST 14.5 - Rogue White 130

TaylorMade SIM 19* Tensei Pro White

Srixon ZX5 4&5 iron Modus 120

Srixon ZX7 6-AW Modus 120

Vokey SM8 54* 60* Modus 125 wedge

EvnRoll ER5B

• Guests
Guest Delete

There are so many options in both that the answer is to get fit or just try them out. 

My 60* lob wedge is a low bounce, players head, c grind type sole which is a totally different club from my 54* sand wedge with a full sole and lots of bounce. Both clubs use different flex shafts and different weights.

My point is that how you want to use the club determines what works for you. Stores with a great exchange policy are the best for being able to actually game your purchase and try something else within a 45 day period until you land on something that sticks. 

My wedge gamers are Maltby M+ sand and 60* tour grind lob. My Gap and pitching are ping from the iron set

• Guests
Guest Delete
6 hours ago, Granata13 said:

I agree with what others have said,  wedges are personal and dependent on the conditions you play under.  With that being said, I have never really liked Vokey Wedges.  I don't know why but the grinds I have tried just don't work for me.  I really like the new Ping Glide 3.0 wedges and have used each of the other Glide wedges.  Its a great mixture of forgiveness and feel

Ditto.

I find it hard to play any full swing club unless it has lots of bounce. Only my lob is low bounce. 

I found a lot of Vokeys in the used bin are on the low bounce side. I might feel different if I tried a high bounce Vokey. Ping usually has more bounce.

I have been using Ping wedges for the past 3 years.  Before that, I was playing Callaway MD2 wedges.  The Glide wedges are just a little bit more forgiving on full shots and that really helps me.  Around the greens they perform about the same as the MD2.  I really like the looks of the Vokey and Callaway wedges but it is hard to give up that little bit of forgiveness.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

Not sure about the Pings, but I've been hitting Vokeys for a while.  Tried the Callaways and hated them.  I'm kind of attached to my Vokeys.

:ping-small:  G410+  9° Stiff
:cobra-small:  F9 3W
:ping-small:  i210 4-Pw Stiff
:ping-small:  3H
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 52, 56, 60
:ping-small: Sigma
:srixon-small: Zstar

On 5/12/2020 at 4:53 PM, SnoopMatty said:

Not sure about the Pings, but I've been hitting Vokeys for a while.  Tried the Callaways and hated them.  I'm kind of attached to my Vokeys.

I liked the Callaways until I had a 56 with too much bounce. Moved to Cleveland RTX4s and love them. Still have a 52 Callaway. It's awesome you have wedges you like. I am never one to say such a wedge is better than another. We each are bringing so many individual variables to what wedges we play;

1) Where we come from in the world determines course conditions and,

2) Our differing angles of attack across all the different types of wedge shots you play. 

The one thing I would say is the ball we use can get forgotten in the wedge conversation. When you find the ball you like, stick with it. The wedge you like, with the ball you like can be a sweet, sweet combo.

Great to hear you like the Pings. It doesn't matter that I've heard great things about them, you like them, they suit your game. That's all that matters. Wedges are scoring clubs, if we all find what suits us, the shots will drop off our cards.

I just switched from  50 degree ping wedge to a  Vokey wedge !!   Love the Vokey  !!!! Glad I switched to all Vokeys now ... Only other wedge I like is Cleveland .

Golf In the morning, Golf at Noon and Golf in the Evening !!

I tried Vokey wedges at a fitting day and honestly couldn’t figure out what all the fuss was about. It felt incredible hard off the face which really turned me off. I’ve used Callaway MD forged for several years so maybe my opinion is prejudiced through experience. At $169 each three wedges cost quite a bit.

Best wedge ever was a Cleveland 588 chrome in 51 degree. I was money with that thing from anywhere inside of 120 yards.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I play Vokey as well and do feel the are clickier than my wife's Mizzys. But their grind options is really what caught my attention.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT