TESTERS WANTED! ×

What shot do you need to quit trying?

sirchunksalot

Knowing when to hold them and know when to fold them. Or knowing when to leave the big stick in the bag and work my way around the course from the short grass more often.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

Nope... I try them all, and probably always will.  Sometimes I get lucky and pull off a difficult shot, and that builds my confidence up to keep doing it.  

Probably the most difficult shot for me is ball below my feet, but there is no way out of not hitting hit.  Ball goes right... or left, maybe straight sometimes, and I have better luck with a hybrid than anything with a hosel.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Trying to hit a fade with a driver equals double crosser

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Lately? Anything off a downhill lie. It’s just chunks, chunks, and more chunks.

Otherwise, it comes down to poor decision making than lack of execution. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Lately? Trying to hit cuts... end up pulling them big time.

Or hitting 3W on the second shot of a Par 5. Could perfectly go driver iron iron, but nooo let's try to hit it as far as possible and end up with a weird yardage. Or top the ball and advance it 20 meters.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I think there are a few, but I think especially for when I do get back to golf it's to not try and overpower anything for a while and simply ease my way back... So in short be smart and play safe. Haven't been on a course in a while so at the moment I don't have just one.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Flop shot.  I recently stopped trying it because it seldom works out.  I used to love when I was in the greenside rough pulling out the lob wedge, laying the face wide open and chopping under the ball to pop it straight up into the air and straight down onto the green.

The only problem was its so difficult to tell just how hard you need to hit the ball, just how much to open the face, just where to aim and its difficult to judge where you want the ball to land.  Why do all that when I can just pull out a short iron or a gap wedge, bump the ball with a putting stroke and roll the ball up next to the flag?

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

The delicate pitch from 20-30 yards out that lands soft. I need to just bump and run in those situations but I always end up trying for the softie and it always turns into a bladey-past-the-greenie.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

For me like many from the sounds of it - it would be my driver.  If i don't feel comfortable or I know I don't have room for a miss, i tend to steer the ball too much and can end up hitting misses both ways.  This in turn starts to creep into other clubs and I just have a terrible round of golf.  Continue to just play my game only and I may have to hit 4 iron off more tees but at least I won't put it in a hazard or OB where the big number creeps in.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

For me, it's hitting 3 wood when the ball is above my feet.

Ball above my feet is a tough shot for me; especially 3 wood. Like you,
It ends up being a pull hook.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The punch shot through the narrow window that I see in the trees, that totally exists and is a legitimate way to get the ball closer to the hole.

I did better near the end of last year of just taking my medicine and playing out sideways, but my ego will still say that it sees a path for me to get through all the trees and shrubbery onto the green.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

There are definitely a lot of risk/reward shots out there, the flop, trying to hit a gap in trees, the driver, and anything delicate around the green. I actually tried a bump and run the last round I played with the 7 iron and ended up on the other side of the green. It's just something I've really never practiced and got bit by a lack of distance control. The only tricky shot I can play with consistency is a low runner with the 4 or 5 iron, I've practiced to WAY too much. 

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Ball above my feet is a tough shot for me; especially 3 wood. Like you,
It ends up being a pull hook.

I have always been told to aim more to the right (for rightys) because the ball is supposed to go left.  For me... sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, so I just aim straight.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

26 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

There are definitely a lot of risk/reward shots out there, the flop, trying to hit a gap in trees, the driver, and anything delicate around the green. I actually tried a bump and run the last round I played with the 7 iron and ended up on the other side of the green. It's just something I've really never practiced and got bit by a lack of distance control. The only tricky shot I can play with consistency is a low runner with the 4 or 5 iron, I've practiced to WAY too much. 

Sometimes those risk/reward shots are the only option.  That's why I practice all kinds of shots, typically during practice rounds.  When faced with that shot when it counts, I feel more confident that I can pull it off.  I was always worried about flop shots over a bunker to a tight pin, because I wasn't that good of a bunker player.  As my bunker play improve, I didn't worry so much about that anymore.  Sure, I can still screw it up but I make a better swing with my 60º so my chances are better.

As for your bump and run shot, I don't judge the rollout distance that well on our greens which is why I prefer a wedge closer to the hole with a little rollout.  I will use the bump and run for certain lie conditions, but it's not my goto shot.

Advice for everyone- don't stop trying any of your shots.

However, practice them before you take it to the course. If you never practice a draw, why try to hit it on the course? Practice downhill or side hill lies to gain the confidence. Would Drew Brees call a play they never practice? Practice leads to confidence and then the confidence conquers the fear.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

All of them...

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I have always been told to aim more to the right (for rightys) because the ball is supposed to go left.  For me... sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, so I just aim straight.

Heard a couple of schools of thought on this and even a test you are supposed to take to help determine how you deliver the club. Ball above my feet is my nemesis in general; just inconsistent when I am in this position.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 hours ago, Kenny B said:

So, when are you quitting golf?  😆

As my FIL says, I'll take two weeks off then quit...

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

The 300 yard drive - it hurts my back and still only goes 235 when I catch it on the screws just like when I take a normal swing. 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 4/27/2020 at 11:42 AM, sixcat said:

A 4-iron draw off the 18th tee at my home club!!!!!  The past year of my life has been spent pitching out of the left trees. 

Great news!  I set up on the far left side of the 18th tee last night and hit a power-fade into the right side of the fairway.  Worked to perfection.  Not a freakin clue why I haven't tried this approach before.  Probably speaks to my stubbornness.

While I am it, add the hero shot out of the rough to the list.  It used to be, when I was in light rough I would just pull out a 5-iron or 5-wood and bash the ball but I would usually either duff it or top the ball and it would go about 50 yards.  Now, I plan a shot that gets me back into the fairway, even if that means I only hit a wedge.

Lately what Ive been doing is if Im in light rough I will hit a 7-iron and plan something that advances the ball 150ish yards and ends up back in the fairway and if its heavy rough, I may just pitch it back into the fairway with a sand wedge or gap wedge.  Ive found that its better off to just get back in the fairway and regroup, rather than trying to be a hero.

Another is driver off the tee on every single hole.  Ive realized recently that if its a 350 yard par-4, I dont need to hit driver.  Why hit driver, trying to get within 100 yards of the hole and put the rough in play when I can just hit a 5-wood, get it to 120-140 yards in the fairway and hit a 9-iron or an easy 7-iron.  To me, thats a lower stress shot than trying to hit a wedge out of the rough from 100-130 yards, which can be a difficult shot the judge and a difficult shot to put spin on.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Any shot with my lob wedge. It either goes 10 yards or 75 - nothing in between, and I never know which distance it's going to be. I have started using my 56 degree wedge with much better success, but my ego still makes me want to try that 60. 

TaylorMade M5 driver, M2 3 wood

Mizuno JPX921 blend - Hot Metal Pro 4-6, Forged 7-PW

Cleveland CBX ZipCore Wedges - 48, 52, 58

Scotty Cameron Squareback putter

Forcing a three wood off of a bad lie!  Take your punishment and hit the 6 iron and get it back in play!

Driver:  Callaway Epic Flash, Fujikura Pro 2.0 stiff

3 wood:  Callaway Epic Flash

7 wood: Titelist TSi2, Kurocage 55 reg

Irons:  5 iron -PW PXG 0211, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff

50 degree wedges:  Callaway JAWS Chrome

56 & 60 degree wedge:  Callaway JAWS Gray, Full Face

Putter:  TaylorMade 

•  

The shot over the water...Sorry to say it's generally too long to carry over for me...Oh well, a lost ball for me...a gain for someone else😉

a. Ladies Flex/10-12 degrees loft/25"-27" (male equivalent)

b. Adjustable/Ladies Flex (male equivalent)

c. Right-Handed

d. San Diego

e. -18