TESTERS WANTED! ×

What shot do you need to quit trying?

sirchunksalot

18 hours ago, revkev said:

The 300 yard drive - it hurts my back and still only goes 235 when I catch it on the screws just like when I take a normal swing. 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Yup Yup Yup   that's me to a tee!

216332613_TigervsBarkley.jpg.a0a89dce8861972ff1cce2a05d6b0ca2.jpg

:cobra-small: SpeedZone Pars and Stripes 9.5* Driver 14gm weight in back, VENTUS Blue 6-R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway, 22.5* Fairway.  All with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:titleist-small:  816H1 27* Hybrid w/ Diamana Blue Board 70 HY Stiff Shaft

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 5 + 6   KBS Tour 80 R

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 7, 8, 9  KBS Tour 90 R                                     

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE P, G, S  KBS Wedge

:cobra-small: King Black ONE 60*  VO8*      True Temper Dynamic Gold Black

Lamkin Crossline Cord Connect Black Mid-size plus 2 wraps

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip               :Arccos:                                                                                                                                                               

:titleist-small:  -ProV1x  Align XL  

All in a :cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag  or  SpeedZone stand bag

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                

BirdieBall Outdoor Putting Green                                 

I gotta stop trying to hit the crazy par saving shot that 95% of the time brings double into play. Just need to take my medicine and be okay with bogey.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

On 4/27/2020 at 8:23 AM, Pingistheanser said:

Flop shot. 

I'm in a similar boat. I can't tell you how many times I try to get too cute when I short-side myself. I really need to learn to get it on the green and two putt rather than trying to land a little flop shot in exactly the right spot, coming up short, leading to a second chip.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

On 4/27/2020 at 3:27 AM, sirchunksalot said:

I was thinking about this the other morning and thought I would see if anyone else had the same problem. Is there a shot you just need to tell yourself "Don't do it!" and go for the safer, more sensible route?

For me, it's hitting 3 wood when the ball is above my feet. It never turns out good, I usually hit a low hooky shot that might go 120. I know better, but if I'm on a par 5 I'm usually grabbing the 3 and trying to advance it as far as I can, no matter the lie. I can't help myself, even though I could pull a shorter iron and probably be in better position for my third shot. 

This is a tricky shot so there's no shame here. I have a bag-full of ludicrous shots I attempt. For me it's a mental deficiency and not accepting where I have put myself on the course. 

As for this 3wood shot, this would be my tip sheet;

1) Choke down on the 3 wood.

b) The practice swing must be a choke-down practice on as close a lie as you can. I would forget to do this and chunk it sometimes. It gives you the feeling of the shot you're going to play. Make your practice swings as close to the real thing as possible. Keep swinging until your brushing the top of the ground the way you want to. Don't get embarrassed and lose your mental focus if you take a divot with a practice swing. 

iii) Finally, and this is just for me. I find ball position is one of the over-riding elements to shot shape for me with my 3 wood. Further forward promotes the draw and further back promotes the fade. In this case a little further back might help so you're catching the ball before the face has closed which may lead to the low duck hook. Again, incorporate the ball position into your practice swing.

I wouldn't give up on this shot yet. If you can get it right,  and be able to trust it, you could lower your scores. 

Keep the faith Dude.👍🏼 

10 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

I'm in a similar boat. I can't tell you how many times I try to get too cute when I short-side myself. I really need to learn to get it on the green and two putt rather than trying to land a little flop shot in exactly the right spot, coming up short, leading to a second chip.

Its tough.  I started watching a lot of Golfsidekick's Youtube videos lately and learned a lot from that.  He talks a lot about playing holes from the green back and planning your shots to get you into an approach shot range that your comfortable with and always playing full shots into greens.

Its made me realize that I dont always need to hit driver on a par-4 and on par-5s I dont need to try to hit the green in 2.  I can lay up to 100-150 yards for my 3rd shot and hit an easy wedge or short iron onto the green.

Since Ive stopped trying to play the hero shot and playing smarter golf instead, Im now to the point of shooting in the 80s on a regular basis, even on days when Im feeling like I dont swing the club very well.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

On 4/27/2020 at 10:59 AM, Tsmithjr9 said:

Advice for everyone- don't stop trying any of your shots.

However, practice them before you take it to the course. If you never practice a draw, why try to hit it on the course? Practice downhill or side hill lies to gain the confidence. Would Drew Brees call a play they never practice? Practice leads to confidence and then the confidence conquers the fear.

I agree wholeheartedly with this however I am always 100% confident in every shot and more often then not I do not execute! LOL I do need to practice more real life scenarios instead of just blasting away at the range. I feel this is a common problem with average golfers. When you have limited time to play I think the tendency is to want to see and feel yourself hitting good shots so its hard to buckle down and have a few disappointing sessions where you work on shots you are terrible at to improve long term. 

For me I need to stop trying any shot that I stand over the ball and say " This is a terrible idea"  

:taylormade-small: Driver M6 9 Patterson Kinect 

:755178188_TourEdge: Tour Edge Exotic EXS 3 Wood 15 degree 

:taylormade-small: Rescue 3 fairway/hybrid wood 17 degree

:ping-small:  irons i-500 4-W Project X LZ 5.5 

:taylormade-small: Wedges,  Mill Grind 2- 50 degree, 56 degree, 60 degree HI-Toe

:cameron-small:  Scotty Cameron Newport 2 putter Super Stroke grip

:Snell: MTB-X optic yellow

VESSEL  bag Player stand 2.0 

Confidence is key and you have that. You're a lot further along than most.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

For me it's trying to punch out of the rough on the right side of the fairway on a par 5. I always want to go too aggressive with a long iron and gain some yardage when I should just play it smart and use a short iron to get into good position on the fairway. Less aggressive shots and more smart, safe shots.

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° SW & 58° LW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

The miracle recovery shot to make up for one bad shot. When I try "that" (hybrid through trees, flopping over tree, low stinger, etc) shot it usually ends up taking 2 or 3 more shots to get where I needed vs taking the smart shot (low punch in to the fairway) which cost me 1 extra

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

On 5/6/2020 at 7:14 AM, Apes44 said:

The miracle recovery shot to make up for one bad shot. When I try "that" (hybrid through trees, flopping over tree, low stinger, etc) shot it usually ends up taking 2 or 3 more shots to get where I needed vs taking the smart shot (low punch in to the fairway) which cost me 1 extra

Same here with the recovery shot. I see maybe a window that I can fit it through to try and save par on a par 4 after a bad drive, but usually it is the exact opposite and I either hit it straight into a tree or chunk it 10 yards further. If I would just take my medicine and hit it out into the fairway, I’d probably have a higher percentage of making a decent shot and trying to save par from the green. We think we are pros in the woods and gotta find the green on the second shot...

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

On 4/29/2020 at 10:10 AM, YYCRed said:

Any shot with my lob wedge. It either goes 10 yards or 75 - nothing in between, and I never know which distance it's going to be. I have started using my 56 degree wedge with much better success, but my ego still makes me want to try that 60. 

I only use my 60* when I’m short sided with a trap between and there’s really no other choice. But it’s supremely satisfying when I catch it just right with my 60*. Unfortunately that probably happens less than half the time (blade or chunk), especially on my regular course which is mostly tight lies - but I can’t quit trying it either. My 56* was chosen for sand, too much bounce for tight lies on turf.

I’d love to quit LONG putts, but the solution has eluded me for 55 years so far.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Hitting a draw is what I need to quit trying to hit.
One day I'll figure it out 🤞

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

• Guests
Guest Delete

The biggest mistake I make is trying to take something off of my swing. I can usually execute a 90% shot no problem but when I say to myself I can hit a 75% shot I usually miss my yardage. I would be better off clubbing up and swinging committed. 

12 hours ago, TimoTe said:

The biggest mistake I make is trying to take something off of my swing. I can usually execute a 90% shot no problem but when I say to myself I can hit a 75% shot I usually miss my yardage. I would be better off clubbing up and swinging committed. 

Practice more of these shots ?

There is a shot I had never been able to consistently executed, for me it is the high draw with the driver , or with any of the long sticks.  I can practice for years and still not better than 50/50 with this shot pattern.  Not a shot I would try when something is on the line. Love my 5-8 yard fade, worse it could happen when I get a little tired is going straight. 

• Guests
Guest Delete
5 minutes ago, release said:

Practice more of these shots ?

There is a shot I had never been able to consistently executed, for me it is the high draw with the driver , or with any of the long sticks.  I can practice for years and still not better than 50/50 with this shot pattern.  Not a shot I would try when something is on the line. Love my 5-8 yard fade, worse it could happen when I get a little tired is going straight. 

Practicing that shot more is not the issue I have. It's the feel to get accurate yardages. I already hit 2000 balls a month and about 40-50% are short game. I found I can hit yardages more often with closer to full swings.

On 5/10/2020 at 2:09 PM, BigtazzGolf said:

Hitting a draw is what I need to quit trying to hit.
One day I'll figure it out 🤞

6 weeks ago I would totally agree!! Could not hit a draw with any club to save my life, but I can for sure cut it, even with a wedge - though people have told me AFTER Ive done it "You can't cut a wedge..." silly people...

Anyways, with all this lockdown stuff going on, I have been working on some swing path things at my house and when I finally went out and played last week for the first time in a while low and behold A DRAW! Constantly. My friend I played with actually said I was drawing it too much now. Now I need to learn to control my draw! 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

1 hour ago, TimoTe said:

Practicing that shot more is not the issue I have. It's the feel to get accurate yardages. I already hit 2000 balls a month and about 40-50% are short game. I found I can hit yardages more often with closer to full swings.

You have access to a practice area other than the driving range ?

Many of the golf courses will have area between the holes or in the back that is closely mowed.  I like to pick out a spot and pace off 40-60-80 yards and bring a shag bag full of old golf balls to practice.   First check with the head pro and/or the greenskeeper to get permission to do so.

You'll find practice in a more natural setting will enhance your senses.  Basically your eyes will tell your hands and body of the distance and quiding the shot to perform.  It is different than just hitting range balls.  Whether it's off the mats or grass.

On 4/27/2020 at 8:05 AM, palvord said:

The punch shot through the narrow window that I see in the trees, that totally exists and is a legitimate way to get the ball closer to the hole.

I did better near the end of last year of just taking my medicine and playing out sideways, but my ego will still say that it sees a path for me to get through all the trees and shrubbery onto the green.

This... I'll pull it off once in a while, but most of the time I either clip the tree or hit the middle of it.  I know better, but I hate punching out sideways

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Taylor Made 300 Mini 11.5º w/ Fuji Ventus TR Red

Hybrids: Callaway Super Hybrid 17º w/ Tensei Orange

Titleist 816 H1 21º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil

Irons (6-43º): Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º SM8, 60º Tour Issued Hand Ground Vokey

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

Trying to intentionally hit a cut. I just can't do it. Draw yes, cut no. The only other thing I try to "avoid" is the flop, but I've been working on that and feel I can pull it off when I NEED to - if other options are available, I'll try to play for something a bit more safe and predictable.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

• Guests
Guest Delete
8 hours ago, release said:

You have access to a practice area other than the driving range ?

Many of the golf courses will have area between the holes or in the back that is closely mowed.  I like to pick out a spot and pace off 40-60-80 yards and bring a shag bag full of old golf balls to practice.   First check with the head pro and/or the greenskeeper to get permission to do so.

You'll find practice in a more natural setting will enhance your senses.  Basically your eyes will tell your hands and body of the distance and quiding the shot to perform.  It is different than just hitting range balls.  Whether it's off the mats or grass.

That's a great idea!

For me, its not so much a shot, but a concept. I've always heard the when the ball is below your feet on a side hill, its going to want to move right, so aim left of the target. And when the ball is above your feet, its going to want to move left, so aim to the right. Do I have this right? Well in either case the ball seems to go the opposite for me and I miss bad to the side I was aiming.

I'm pretty sure that I make a subconscious adjustment, where if they ball is below my feet I swing more over the top to reduce the chance of hitting it fat, and I pull the ball left, while always aiming left - not good. And if it is above my feet, I attack from the inside and push the ball right while also aiming right - not good. 

Essentially, I am finding this to be completely untrue for me. 

image.png.8c5938bde5474977ccee7d5ba0fc6ddf.png

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

1 hour ago, scooterhd2 said:

For me, its not so much a shot, but a concept. I've always heard the when the ball is below your feet on a side hill, its going to want to move right, so aim left of the target. And when the ball is above your feet, its going to want to move left, so aim to the right. Do I have this right? Well in either case the ball seems to go the opposite for me and I miss bad to the side I was aiming.

I'm pretty sure that I make a subconscious adjustment, where if they ball is below my feet I swing more over the top to reduce the chance of hitting it fat, and I pull the ball left, while always aiming left - not good. And if it is above my feet, I attack from the inside and push the ball right while also aiming right - not good. 

Essentially, I am finding this to be completely untrue for me. 

image.png.8c5938bde5474977ccee7d5ba0fc6ddf.png

OK, I have no golf teaching experience but will give throw two cents at this anyway. Yes, you are right they should move that way as the pictures indicate. You could be subconsciously correcting your swing to compensate. There's a couple of things you could do. Firstly, just aim straight, if the ball is going where you're aiming, try that. It sounds stupid and obvious but if it works great, if not, at least you tried. My guess is you will start to miss on the opposite side to your present miss, i.e. as per picture. Then you can gradually move your target to adjust. As an aside, your miss is viewed as a good player's miss. I remember the commentary on Ernie missing the 13th green right (and in the creek) at Augusta with the ball above his feet. It happens. When looking up YouTube videos, take note of ball position for these shots. This will determine the open/closed face angle at impact. The other thing I would do is work on visualisation. See a good shot in your mind before you hit it, don't allow your mind to wander back to the old misses. And when you hit your first good shot on a sloped lie, replay it in your head. Go over it and over it again in your head for the next few days after. Embed a good memory so the mind goes back to that next time you are in that situation. 

• 2 weeks later...

I need to quit trying to drive 300 yard par 4 greens especially over water.... today I flew the water only to have it bounce towards the green and hit a rock. Couldn’t find it, and never saw in go in the water. Bogeyed that hole, should have been a easy par or birdie opportunity. 

WITB Cobra F9 Speed Back w/Fujikura Atmos x70 black, Cobra 🐍 Fly Z Pro Irons 4-PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60.04L(thanks MGS for the lesson), Ping Ketsch Putter, Ping Pioneer Bag, Tri Swivel II Cart. 

Flop shot, If I can bump and run I have a greater chance of success. But i'd be lying if I didn't say its extremely satisfying do drop a perfect flop infront of your mates.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦