sirchunksalot

What shot do you need to quit trying?

Our Sponsors

I have always been told to aim more to the right (for rightys) because the ball is supposed to go left.  For me... sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, so I just aim straight.

Heard a couple of schools of thought on this and even a test you are supposed to take to help determine how you deliver the club. Ball above my feet is my nemesis in general; just inconsistent when I am in this position.
  • Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'll try any shot. I don't do well with the ball above my feet...lol. I choke down, but I still manage to excavate a lot of land...lol.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, MattF said:

All of them...

So, when are you quitting golf?  😆

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

10 hours ago, Kenny B said:

So, when are you quitting golf?  😆

As my FIL says, I'll take two weeks off then quit...

• Like 2

In the bag:
:taylormade-small: M5 Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Fairway: Sub 70 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 119 19° hybrid Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 4-GW UST Mamiya Recoil 680 F4
:cleveland-small: Smartsole S
:yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

image.png

The 300 yard drive - it hurts my back and still only goes 235 when I catch it on the screws just like when I take a normal swing. 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

On 4/27/2020 at 11:42 AM, sixcat said:

A 4-iron draw off the 18th tee at my home club!!!!!  The past year of my life has been spent pitching out of the left trees. 

Great news!  I set up on the far left side of the 18th tee last night and hit a power-fade into the right side of the fairway.  Worked to perfection.  Not a freakin clue why I haven't tried this approach before.  Probably speaks to my stubbornness.

• Like 1

While I am it, add the hero shot out of the rough to the list.  It used to be, when I was in light rough I would just pull out a 5-iron or 5-wood and bash the ball but I would usually either duff it or top the ball and it would go about 50 yards.  Now, I plan a shot that gets me back into the fairway, even if that means I only hit a wedge.

Lately what Ive been doing is if Im in light rough I will hit a 7-iron and plan something that advances the ball 150ish yards and ends up back in the fairway and if its heavy rough, I may just pitch it back into the fairway with a sand wedge or gap wedge.  Ive found that its better off to just get back in the fairway and regroup, rather than trying to be a hero.

Another is driver off the tee on every single hole.  Ive realized recently that if its a 350 yard par-4, I dont need to hit driver.  Why hit driver, trying to get within 100 yards of the hole and put the rough in play when I can just hit a 5-wood, get it to 120-140 yards in the fairway and hit a 9-iron or an easy 7-iron.  To me, thats a lower stress shot than trying to hit a wedge out of the rough from 100-130 yards, which can be a difficult shot the judge and a difficult shot to put spin on.

• Like 5

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 15*

Hybrid: Tommy Armour 845 19*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Any shot with my lob wedge. It either goes 10 yards or 75 - nothing in between, and I never know which distance it's going to be. I have started using my 56 degree wedge with much better success, but my ego still makes me want to try that 60. 

• Like 1

Forcing a three wood off of a bad lie!  Take your punishment and hit the 6 iron and get it back in play!

• Like 3

Driver:  Callaway Epic Flash, Fujikura Pro 2.0 stiff

3 wood:  Callaway Epic Flash

3 Hybrid:   TaylorMade M2

4 Hybrid:  TaylorMade M2

Irons:  5 iron -PW PXG 0211, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff

50 and 54 degree wedges:  Callaway MD3

58 degree wedge:  Callaway PM grind

Putter:  TaylorMade Ardmore 3

•  

The shot over the water...Sorry to say it's generally too long to carry over for me...Oh well, a lost ball for me...a gain for someone else😉

• Like 2

a. Ladies Flex/10-12 degrees loft/25"-27" (male equivalent)

b. Adjustable/Ladies Flex (male equivalent)

c. Right-Handed

d. San Diego

e. -18

18 hours ago, revkev said:

The 300 yard drive - it hurts my back and still only goes 235 when I catch it on the screws just like when I take a normal swing. 🤣

Yup Yup Yup   that's me to a tee!

216332613_TigervsBarkley.jpg.a0a89dce8861972ff1cce2a05d6b0ca2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!  Follow me on Twitter and Instagram and Facebook #TeamCobraONE

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 10.5* Driver 14gm wieght in back, 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway   All with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 21.5* Hybrid Project X CATALYST 80 6.0

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 5 + 6   KBS Tour 80 R

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 7, 8, 9  KBS Tour 90 R                                     Lamkin Crossline Cord Connect Black Mid-size plus 2 wraps

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE P, G, S  KBS Wedge

:cobra-small: King Black ONE 60*  VO8*      True Temper Dynamic Gold Black

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip                                                                                

:bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS  Align XL    All in a :cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag  or  SpeedZone stand bag

:titelist-small: Staff Bag  Full set of :titelist-small: Clubs on sidelines for at least 8 weeks of COBRACONNECTCHALLENGE4 #MGSCOBRA2020

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                         

:Arccos:                                                                                                                                                                      697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

19 hours ago, revkev said:

Might be those 17 flights of stairs, I get winded thinking about that. 

I gotta stop trying to hit the crazy par saving shot that 95% of the time brings double into play. Just need to take my medicine and be okay with bogey.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

On 4/27/2020 at 8:23 AM, Pingistheanser said:

Flop shot. 

I'm in a similar boat. I can't tell you how many times I try to get too cute when I short-side myself. I really need to learn to get it on the green and two putt rather than trying to land a little flop shot in exactly the right spot, coming up short, leading to a second chip.

• Like 3

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

On 4/27/2020 at 3:27 AM, sirchunksalot said:

I was thinking about this the other morning and thought I would see if anyone else had the same problem. Is there a shot you just need to tell yourself "Don't do it!" and go for the safer, more sensible route?

For me, it's hitting 3 wood when the ball is above my feet. It never turns out good, I usually hit a low hooky shot that might go 120. I know better, but if I'm on a par 5 I'm usually grabbing the 3 and trying to advance it as far as I can, no matter the lie. I can't help myself, even though I could pull a shorter iron and probably be in better position for my third shot. 

This is a tricky shot so there's no shame here. I have a bag-full of ludicrous shots I attempt. For me it's a mental deficiency and not accepting where I have put myself on the course. 

As for this 3wood shot, this would be my tip sheet;

1) Choke down on the 3 wood.

b) The practice swing must be a choke-down practice on as close a lie as you can. I would forget to do this and chunk it sometimes. It gives you the feeling of the shot you're going to play. Make your practice swings as close to the real thing as possible. Keep swinging until your brushing the top of the ground the way you want to. Don't get embarrassed and lose your mental focus if you take a divot with a practice swing. 

iii) Finally, and this is just for me. I find ball position is one of the over-riding elements to shot shape for me with my 3 wood. Further forward promotes the draw and further back promotes the fade. In this case a little further back might help so you're catching the ball before the face has closed which may lead to the low duck hook. Again, incorporate the ball position into your practice swing.

I wouldn't give up on this shot yet. If you can get it right,  and be able to trust it, you could lower your scores. 

Keep the faith Dude.👍🏼 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

I'm in a similar boat. I can't tell you how many times I try to get too cute when I short-side myself. I really need to learn to get it on the green and two putt rather than trying to land a little flop shot in exactly the right spot, coming up short, leading to a second chip.

Its tough.  I started watching a lot of Golfsidekick's Youtube videos lately and learned a lot from that.  He talks a lot about playing holes from the green back and planning your shots to get you into an approach shot range that your comfortable with and always playing full shots into greens.

Its made me realize that I dont always need to hit driver on a par-4 and on par-5s I dont need to try to hit the green in 2.  I can lay up to 100-150 yards for my 3rd shot and hit an easy wedge or short iron onto the green.

Since Ive stopped trying to play the hero shot and playing smarter golf instead, Im now to the point of shooting in the 80s on a regular basis, even on days when Im feeling like I dont swing the club very well.

• Like 5

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 15*

Hybrid: Tommy Armour 845 19*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

On 4/27/2020 at 10:59 AM, Tsmithjr9 said:

Advice for everyone- don't stop trying any of your shots.

However, practice them before you take it to the course. If you never practice a draw, why try to hit it on the course? Practice downhill or side hill lies to gain the confidence. Would Drew Brees call a play they never practice? Practice leads to confidence and then the confidence conquers the fear.

I agree wholeheartedly with this however I am always 100% confident in every shot and more often then not I do not execute! LOL I do need to practice more real life scenarios instead of just blasting away at the range. I feel this is a common problem with average golfers. When you have limited time to play I think the tendency is to want to see and feel yourself hitting good shots so its hard to buckle down and have a few disappointing sessions where you work on shots you are terrible at to improve long term. 

For me I need to stop trying any shot that I stand over the ball and say " This is a terrible idea"  

• Like 3

:taylormade-small: Driver M6 9 Patterson Kinect 

:755178188_TourEdge: Tour Edge Exotic EXS 3 Wood 15 degree 

:taylormade-small: Rescue 3 fairway/hybrid wood 17 degree

:ping-small:  irons i-500 4-W Project X LZ 5.5 

:taylormade-small: Wedges,  Mill Grind 2- 50 degree, 56 degree, 60 degree HI-Toe

:cameron-small:  Scotty Cameron Newport 2 putter Super Stroke grip

:Snell: MTB-X optic yellow

VESSEL  bag Player stand 2.0 

Confidence is key and you have that. You're a lot further along than most.

Take Dead Aim

• Like 1

For me it's trying to punch out of the rough on the right side of the fairway on a par 5. I always want to go too aggressive with a long iron and gain some yardage when I should just play it smart and use a short iron to get into good position on the fairway. Less aggressive shots and more smart, safe shots.

• Like 2

:callaway-small: FT Optiforce 460 10.5*

:callaway-small: FT Optiforce 3W, 5W

:callaway-small: X2 Hot 5-PW

:callaway-small: MD4 52/56/60

:odyssey-small: White Hot RX #7

:taylormade-small: TP5

The miracle recovery shot to make up for one bad shot. When I try "that" (hybrid through trees, flopping over tree, low stinger, etc) shot it usually ends up taking 2 or 3 more shots to get where I needed vs taking the smart shot (low punch in to the fairway) which cost me 1 extra

• Like 2

Driver  :titelist-small: TS 2, Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff 9.5* Setting, A2

Fairway Wood:   :ping-small: G30 Stiff Shaft

Hybrid:   :titelist-small: TS2 19* Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff shaft

Irons:     :titelist-small: 718 AP1 (4-PW) AMT Red Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX4 52* 56*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA