Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Specific Fitting Situation, Advice Appreciated

Hi All,

I am currently taking lessons at Golf Tec and have "earned" two fittings through my time there. Additionally,  (as a Bday gift) I received $200 towards a fitting at TrueSpec Golf  which I will use at the Doral location.  I have had my current irons (Ping K15's) for about 10 years and bought them on craigslist.  My Cobra F7 and Ping G 5-wood and 3H I also bought on Ebay and have never been fit for clubs before.

I assume TrueSpec has a larger selection of shaft options as well as Iron heads.  Should I do my iron fitting with True Spec and my Driver at GolfTec? Should I do an Iron fit and driver fit at both and see if I get similar recommendations? Not really sure how to approach it.

I would appreciate any insight or advice the MGS community has.

P.s. I am a high-handicapper, but am actively working to get better. I know that new clubs will not stop my shanks but still I have been saving for over a year and I am ready to upgrade my irons in the near future and likely my driver as well.

I personally would get the iron fitting done at true spec. Irons last longer than a driver, and are used for far more shots. Even if you get a driver perfectly fit for your game, you won’t see the benefit of a true spec fitting until you can hit it more consistently. I would think where your game is a golf tec fitting would fit the bill on the woods. Just my two cents, having gone through fittings at both!

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

Do you have a budget? Are you willing to spend the money on upgraded shafts? Do you just want best fit with stock shafts?

How much do you know about club fitting? Are you prepared to ask questions about you fitting or are you just going to have the fitter make a recommendation.

Are you not going to purchase and just want to learn?

Two fitters may come up with completely different results; there isn’t a single answer.

Golftec will probably fit you to more stock offerings and true spec will be more brand agnostic.

Depending on your strengths, I’d probably do driver at golftec and irons at true spec.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Personal opinion is I would avoid golf tec whenever possible, ive heard too many bad things from friends or forum members over the years.

as for your situation I would do true Spec. Iirc they have you hit either off grass or from a mat out onto the range. These options allow you to see ball flight and how the ball reacts to the club and strike. Nothing worse than getting on the course or practice range and you see a ball fight that doesn’t please your eye and now it’s second guess city. 

im assuming both places will provide you with your spec sheet so that if you choose to order from your favorite shop or online you have that info, so I would let wherever you go know what your intentions are and where your budget is even if it’s super high. This way they work around that to find you the best setup in your range.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The Golftec fittings will be free right?  Absolutely do those, it's not going to cost you anything so might as well see how the process works and gain some knowledge.

Then I would take that knowledge you gained and do both the driver and iron fittings at Truespec.  The advice from just about everyone here is going to be go to Truespec anyway, but there's no need to throw away free fittings from Golftec first.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

2 hours ago, hckymeyer said:

The Golftec fittings will be free right?  Absolutely do those, it's not going to cost you anything so might as well see how the process works and gain some knowledge.

Then I would take that knowledge you gained and do both the driver and iron fittings at Truespec.  The advice from just about everyone here is going to be go to Truespec anyway, but there's no need to throw away free fittings from Golftec first.

I think this is great advice.   Use the free Golftec fittings as a learning experience.  You'll see how and what a fitting generally encompasses.  Make sure and get as much info on your LM numbers and club recommendations as you can from them.    Ask questions before/during and after. 

Once you have digested that info and thought back on what you liked and didn't like about the fitting, use that to go into the True Spec Fitting.  Since you have the $200 credit, I  would go for he full bag fitting--split over two sessions if the extra cost is within your budget.  if not, then put priority on an iron fitting and you can always use the Goftec driver fitting results if you felt good about it. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

15 hours ago, jddaigneault said:

I personally would get the iron fitting done at true spec. Irons last longer than a driver, and are used for far more shots. Even if you get a driver perfectly fit for your game, you won’t see the benefit of a true spec fitting until you can hit it more consistently. I would think where your game is a golf tec fitting would fit the bill on the woods. Just my two cents, having gone through fittings at both!

Thanks very much.  Makes a lot of sense that the most performance per dollar will come from an Iron fitting seems to the consensus from other for my skill level.

7 hours ago, cnosil said:

Do you have a budget? Are you willing to spend the money on upgraded shafts? Do you just want best fit with stock shafts?

How much do you know about club fitting? Are you prepared to ask questions about you fitting or are you just going to have the fitter make a recommendation.

Are you not going to purchase and just want to learn?

Two fitters may come up with completely different results; there isn’t a single answer.

Golftec will probably fit you to more stock offerings and true spec will be more brand agnostic.

Depending on your strengths, I’d probably do driver at golftec and irons at true spec.

Thanks Very much.  

I am definitely planning to purchase after the fitting, and am likely going to purchase through the fitter (although being in South Florida some advantages that there are a few builders around here).

My main goal is to get the most performance per dollar. This would likely be in irons at my stage of the game. If substantial difference I would be willing to pay for the aftermarket shafts and build.  But like someone suggested, it probably makes sense for my budget and my skill level to purchase irons first and then driver.

6 hours ago, hckymeyer said:

Yes the fittings will be free with GolfTec.

Thanks this makes a lot of sense really. Also breaking up the iron fitting and the woods fitting into two fittings is a good idea. It will allow me to upgrade to a new set of irons which I am likely to strike more consistently than my driver  and therefore get more value  immediately. And will give me time to work on the driver swing while saving up for a driver/shaft combo.

4 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I think this is great advice.   Use the free Golftec fittings as a learning experience.  You'll see how and what a fitting generally encompasses.  Make sure and get as much info on your LM numbers and club recommendations as you can from them.    Ask questions before/during and after. 

Once you have digested that info and thought back on what you liked and didn't like about the fitting, use that to go into the True Spec Fitting.  Since you have the $200 credit, I  would go for he full bag fitting--split over two sessions if the extra cost is within your budget.  if not, then put priority on an iron fitting and you can always use the Goftec driver fitting results if you felt good about it. 

Thank you.  All of  the above posts have been very helpful in providing me guidance and also stopping the FOMO.  I am somewhat obsessed with TXG YT channel, so  I will make sure to be open minded and ask lots of questions during the initial GolfTec fittings. 

My personal opinion is, don't spend a load of money and expect a miracle from equipment fitting at this stage.

You'll need to upgrade your current bag, whether be brand new or another pick from used market.

Do the minimum like adjust the lie angle on the irons ( not the static adjustment from the wrist to ground measure , do the dynamic measure of how the irons contact the ground with your current golf swing , which is still evolving with your golf lessons ).  I wouldn't worry about the driver and the fairway woods except the right flex for your swing speed.

Play with the minimum adjustment for awhile until you get below an index of 13-15 consistently, then look for your first full equipment fitting.   A novice wine taster would not know the difference between a bottle of vintage to a regular table red, a golfer whom does not know his/her own golf swing could not benefit from an equipment fitting.  If I give the average Joe a Formula-One, he'd probably crash it during the first lap.

But if you enjoy the experience of being fitted and believe the fitting will help your golf game... then go for it.   Many of us don't have the time nor the patience for tomorrow.

Have fun through the journey and be prepared to ask questions and give feedback to your fitter, in order to maximize the whole experience.