Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

X flex graphite in players clubs?

Welshy

Hey I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a X flex graphite iron shaft? I'm looking at getting something a little softer on my wrists (have a few issues going on there). Wondering what success anyone has had with graphites in a top end players club ie. Mizuno Mp20 etc. Looking forward to hearing from you all

They are all good and it comes down to what fits the person best. Typically faster/stronger players prefer steelfiber. Many like the feel of the recoil including myself and think the steelfiber are harsh feeling. TGI has good reviews. PX/True Temper have some out as does Accra and Mitsubishi.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Steelfibers appear to be fairly similar to DG.  The i95 Stiff profile is rather close to DGS.  The i110 is a little stiffer in the bottom half, while the butt section is still pretty close to DG.  I've added an image of Wishon Shaft Profile data I've saved over the last few years, with DGS, KBS Tour, and the Steelfiber models.  I included RIP Tour 115, though they're almost impossible to find these days.  The 36" measurement comes in low, but I believe it's due to the length of the shaft, you can't get a full 5 inches clamped with them and still have a 36" beam length.  I've not hit them, but the data below shows they've earned their rep of playing a flex stiffer; if you could find RIP 115 Tour in Stiff, you'd meet your goal of Xstiff graphite.  🙂

Some folks swear by the Recoil Proto shaft, which is said to be a stiffer tipped version of the retail Recoil shaft (possibly stiffer overall?).  If my memory is working, that is.  Mitsubishi has recently put out the MMT iron shaft, which is getting good reviews, it appears it may be similar to the Steelfiber.  There's also the Fuji Pro in various weights, you'd probably want the Tour Spec version, and Project X has the Catalyst shaft.

image.png.fa1ccbd1834235e90867ed9acc48bf91.png

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

Harry from MGS has put the fujikura graphite shafts in his irons and loves them. I tried them but they were a bit too stiff for me To provide any thoughts.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

An additional note....

The Recoil vs Steelfiber discussion seems to be similar to that surrounding Dynamic Gold.  Players with smoother swings, those who don't like DG shafts, seem to almost universally dislike the Steelfiber shafts.  Those who like DG shafts seem to like Steelfibers.  Normal caveats about gross generalizations apply, of course.  

I've heard hints that the Catalyst shaft may be PX-like.  If true, it's an addendum to the above, and adds a graphite flavor to the DG vs PX discussion.  

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

I have Recoil 110 F5s in my Hogan Ft Worth’s and liked them a lot. Really not issue in going from steel to them at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

• 8 months later...
On 4/27/2020 at 8:15 AM, NRJyzr said:

Steelfibers appear to be fairly similar to DG.  The i95 Stiff profile is rather close to DGS.  The i110 is a little stiffer in the bottom half, while the butt section is still pretty close to DG.  I've added an image of Wishon Shaft Profile data I've saved over the last few years, with DGS, KBS Tour, and the Steelfiber models.  I included RIP Tour 115, though they're almost impossible to find these days.  The 36" measurement comes in low, but I believe it's due to the length of the shaft, you can't get a full 5 inches clamped with them and still have a 36" beam length.  I've not hit them, but the data below shows they've earned their rep of playing a flex stiffer; if you could find RIP 115 Tour in Stiff, you'd meet your goal of Xstiff graphite.  🙂

Some folks swear by the Recoil Proto shaft, which is said to be a stiffer tipped version of the retail Recoil shaft (possibly stiffer overall?).  If my memory is working, that is.  Mitsubishi has recently put out the MMT iron shaft, which is getting good reviews, it appears it may be similar to the Steelfiber.  There's also the Fuji Pro in various weights, you'd probably want the Tour Spec version, and Project X has the Catalyst shaft.

image.png.fa1ccbd1834235e90867ed9acc48bf91.png

Sorry to bring up an old topic but I've been in a deep dive the last couple of days. I need to transition to graphite shafts or quit playing. Obvious choice there. I've seen you post that chart a couple of times and wanted to make sure I'm reading it correctly. The higher the number, the 'stiffer' it is in that section correct?

I currently play KBS Tour X (have for 10 years). I look at the comp between the Tour S and Steelfiber 110 and it looks pretty darn close. I could probably roughly estimate what the numbers on the Tour X would be and I've have to think they would be very close to the same profile as the SF 110x. That sharp turn up in stiffness in the tip section has me a bit concerned though. I have played DG s300's in a pinch before and they are fine. Never really tried an x100 though. From what I tell, the x100 actually has a softer tip compared to the s300. However the s300 has a much softer upper tip/lower mid section. 

On 1/26/2021 at 5:59 PM, 300threewood said:

Sorry to bring up an old topic but I've been in a deep dive the last couple of days. I need to transition to graphite shafts or quit playing. Obvious choice there. I've seen you post that chart a couple of times and wanted to make sure I'm reading it correctly. The higher the number, the 'stiffer' it is in that section correct?

I currently play KBS Tour X (have for 10 years). I look at the comp between the Tour S and Steelfiber 110 and it looks pretty darn close. I could probably roughly estimate what the numbers on the Tour X would be and I've have to think they would be very close to the same profile as the SF 110x. That sharp turn up in stiffness in the tip section has me a bit concerned though. I have played DG s300's in a pinch before and they are fine. Never really tried an x100 though. From what I tell, the x100 actually has a softer tip compared to the s300. However the s300 has a much softer upper tip/lower mid section. 

Yes, the higher the number, the stiffer the shaft is in that section.  It's a frequency measurement designed to be an attempt to show shaft profiles.  The beam lengths are listed across the top.

I've wondered if the Recoil shaft (retail version) might be a better analogue for the KBS Tour?  The KBS TGI Tour is said to be pretty close.  I'm afraid i have profile data for neither of these.

Because I like DG, I've tended to focus on shafts that are reasonably close to that profile.

Edited by NRJyzr

14 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Yes, the higher the number, the stiffer the shaft is in that section.  It's a frequency measurement designed to be an attempt to show shaft profiles.  The beam lengths are listed across the top.

I've wondered if the Recoil shaft (retail version) might be a better analogue for the KBS Tour?  The KBS TGI Tour is said to be pretty close.  I'm afraid i have profile data for neither of these.

Because I like DG, I've tended to focus on shafts that are reasonably close to that profile.

Any idea on balance points between the Steelfiber and Recoil? I will be playing overlength (likely 1", certainly in the wedges/short irons). I really wish there was more "lab" data for the Recoils. I've found some on the Prototype but they are nearly twice the price. This is a somewhat budget build and I'm just in the testing phase

2 minutes ago, 300threewood said:

Any idea on balance points between the Steelfiber and Recoil? I will be playing overlength (likely 1", certainly in the wedges/short irons). I really wish there was more "lab" data for the Recoils. I've found some on the Prototype but they are nearly twice the price. This is a somewhat budget build and I'm just in the testing phase

I think it may be a good point to make a directed bump to Brother @chisag🙂

Steelfiber but in S flex. It gets a good amount of use on the tour, but almost everyone is playing stiff and not x. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!