Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Squeaking BOA shoes.

So I bought last years model of the Puma spiked shoes with BOA (or disc as they call it). I have so far played 2 rounds in them and I am totally in love with walking in those shoes, but there is one problem.. they squeak when I walk, or move my feet at all. I don´t really get annoyed with it other then when going to putt. Any moving of my feet to adjust the stans will give a small noice that will mess with my concentration. So my question to all you BOA/Disc users out there.. have you had the same experience? Will it pass when they are a bit more broken in?

Put baby powder under the inner sole. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 minute ago, Gurra said:

I should probably have made it clear that the squeaking is coming from the strings from the BOA it self. The squeaking is gone if I loosen the BOA so my guess is that there is a sound when the tightened stings is rubbed against the plastic loops.

That sounds like what the issue is. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I have a few pair of spikes with BOA tech and they all sound as though I’m treading upon an endless sea of small furry creatures. In my case, the sound is not coming from the insole and has not improved over time. It’s definitely a downside of the BOA tension matrix, particularly if you prefer a snug fit.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

I have not had that issue with any of the BOA/Disc shoes.  I would try that baby powder idea though, the sound could still be the tongue of the shoe rubbing against the upper inside of the shoe.  The strings just put even enough tension over the whole thing to cause the squeak.  

Or call/email PUMA and see if they have any ideas.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

48 minutes ago, downlowkey said:

I have a few pair of spikes with BOA tech and they all sound as though I’m treading upon an endless sea of small furry creatures. In my case, the sound is not coming from the insole and has not improved over time. It’s definitely a downside of the BOA tension matrix, particularly if you prefer a snug fit.

Try Vaseline, WD40 gel, dishdetergent, etc.on the laces.

Jazz woods (Driver & Hybrids), TNT Silver Eagle Irons, PW & SW, Slotline Inertia putter. TopFlite Gammer.

2 hours ago, hckymeyer said:

I have not had that issue with any of the BOA/Disc shoes.  I would try that baby powder idea though, the sound could still be the tongue of the shoe rubbing against the upper inside of the shoe.  The strings just put even enough tension over the whole thing to cause the squeak.  

I wonder if disc placement has any effect on squeak potential. Footjoy made a deal with BOA around (2005?), that granted them exclusive license for placement on the heel. And although I haven't owned BOA FJs for a long time, I don't remember them being nearly as squeeky. The noise doesn't actually bother me, but I've had more than one playing partner mention it. I'll give the powder a try.

2 hours ago, viking said:

Try Vaseline, WD40 gel, dishdetergent, etc.on the laces.

It's probably not a good idea to put petroleum based lubricants within channels that cannot be occasionally accessed for cleaning, not to mention the stain factor. And dish detergent is technically an abrasive.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

10 hours ago, hckymeyer said:

I had two pair of Puma's (same model different colors) that had the squeek. It was the tongue rubbing against the upper inside of the shoe. I hit them with some WD40 and it went away. You just have to re-apply when the noise comes back. You could probably even try bees wax, it might last longer.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I will probably give the WD40 a go. The baby powder under the tongue deal I don´t see how that would work since the shoe does not have a tongue since it is all a single piece. I did send Puma a mail, will wait for there response before giving the WD40 a go.

Quick update on my issue. I have to admit I was wrong, it was actually the friction between the insole and shoe that made the noise even if it sounded like it came from the strings. I always use special insoles in my shoes and simply changed my golf insole for my regular insole and the noise was gone. Thanks for the input everyone! 

On 4/28/2020 at 2:29 AM, Gurra said:

I will probably give the WD40 a go. The baby powder under the tongue deal I don´t see how that would work since the shoe does not have a tongue since it is all a single piece. I did send Puma a mail, will wait for there response before giving the WD40 a go.

Know any sailors? If you do ask them if you could borrow a their can of Sailkote. It's a liquid paraffin wax that comes in a spray can. The real benefits in addition to being a lubricant is that it s"sits" on the surface rather than being absorbed so it lasts long and it doesn't stain. 

Edit; Opps I should have read your last post. Sounds like you've got it covered. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

If a shoe squeaks I don’t buy it.......

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I had a pair of DryJoys a few years ago that did this, but they were the lace up variety.  I think it was related to how tight I tied them and the type of laces.  I ties them a bit less tight and used unwaxed laces and it went away.

In my bag (for now):

Driver: :titelist-small: TS2 9.5 deg- HZRDUS Smoke 60G Stiff

3-wood: :titelist-small: TS3 15 deg- HZRDUS Smoke 70G Stiff

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H1 19 deg- Atmos HB Tour Spec- 85G

Irons: :callaway-small: Rogue Pro CF18 5iron - AW- True Temper XP105 Stiff

Wedge #1: :callaway-small: MD5 Jaws - 54-10S- Dynamic Gold 115

Wedge #2 :callaway-small: MD5 Jaws - 58.08C- Dynamic Gold 115

Putter: :odyssey-small: Triple Track Ten - 34.5 inch Stroke Lab

Bag: :callaway-small: 2020 Org 14

Ball: still being settled on, but most likely the Bridgestone B-X, also testing 2020 Chrome Soft and Titleist ProV1x (my go to for several years)

I had a pair of DryJoys a few years ago that did this, but they were the lace up variety.  I think it was related to how tight I tied them and the type of laces.  I ties them a bit less tight and used unwaxed laces and it went away.

It seems that all the FJ Green Joy” shoes sounded like a Cucaracha Band.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list