Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

DIY GOLF – “How To Hand Stamp Your Own Golf Clubs!�

• SPY VIP

diy-banner-2.jpg

Article written by: Shane Smith

Today's DIY GOLF project comes to you from one of the MGS readers…Shane Smith.  He wants to teach the MGS readers how to hand stamp your own golf clubs by using some simple and cheap tools that any of you can pick up at your local hardware stores.  If you have a DIY project you would like to post on MyGolfSpy, simply send us an email to [email protected].

Simply submit your idea to [email protected] and we will email you the DIY guidelines. Every published DIY author will receive a prize from MyGolfSpy! (cash, equipment & apparel prizes to be awarded)

DIY- Hand Stamping Golf Clubs (w/Paint Fill)

Tools Needed:

• Masking Tape

• Ball pin or standard hammer (not rubber mallet, must be of good weight – 4lbs)

• Steel Stamps (1/8”) – Available at most Ace Hardware or similar stores. (Letters are about $25 and numbers are about $10)

• Sturdy, flat surface.

• Model Paint (about $8 at most hobby stores- Hobby Lobby, Michael's) or Tamiya Paint

• Acetone (paint thinner, finger nail polish remover)

• Q-Tips

• A-West Needle Applicator or Golf Tees

step1.jpg

Step-By-Step Process

(STEP 1:) – Apply masking tape to both the face of the club as well as the surface in which you will be working on. This will help keep the club in place as it tends to jump after you strike the stamp with the hammer. Also, apply a piece of masking tape over the area you wish to stamp.

(Tip:) – You can use a pen and free hand what you want to mark. However, it does not have to be perfectly straight. The uneven, dancing look is the true essence of a hand stamp.

step2.jpg

(Step 2:) – Hold the desired stamp over the area and strike with the hammer 5-10 times. The reason the strikes vary in number is because clubs vary in hardness. This Cleveland CG 14 that I stamped took a lot more hits than the Titleist. With a Ping wedge, I needed safety goggles cause it took quite a bit of effort and I thought the stamp was going to break. Once your first round of strikes is complete, you should see a stamp through the tape and on the club.

step3.jpg

You can see the first round of strikes going through the tape and making a shallow stamp.

step4.jpg

(Step 3:) – If your first round of strikes have not made a deep enough stamp (depth similar to those made by the manufacturer), remove tape and place the stamp in the existing mark and continue stamping in repetitions of five.

(Step 4:) – Once proper depth has been achieved, you may paint fill the stamp with a color of your choice. I prefer Testor's Model Paint. I have used Testor's on all my fills and the paint has held up even on wedges that I use out of bunkers (you can also use Tamiya Paint). You can apply the paint using a golf tee or A-West Needle Applicator. Allow a drying time of 4 hours. However, I have used a hair dryer on cool air to help speed the process. Anything on high heat will heat the club and cause the paint to set incorrectly.

step5.jpg

(Step 5:) – Once paint has dried, use q-tips dipped in acetone to remove any excess paint that has spilled over the stamp. Here is the final result:

step7.jpg

(TIP:) – As with any DIY golf project, practice makes perfect. These wedges were old back-ups. It's best to hone your skills before marking up your gaming set. If you are wanting to use multiple colors for paint fill, it is best to do one at a time.

Want to post your own DIY project on MyGolfSpy?  Simple send your idea to [email protected] and we will email you the DIY guidelines. Every published DIY author will receive a prize from MyGolfSpy! (cash, equipment & apparel prizes to be awarded)

Article written by: Shane Smith

Today's DIY GOLF project comes to you from one of the MGS readers…Shane Smith.  He wants to teach the MGS readers how to hand stamp your own golf clubs by using some simple and cheap tools that any of you can pick up at your local hardware stores.  If you have a DIY project you would like to post on MyGolfSpy, simply send us an email to [email protected].

Simply submit your idea to [email protected] and we will email you the DIY guidelines. Every published DIY author will receive a prize from MyGolfSpy! (cash, equipment & apparel prizes to be awarded)

#TruthDigest

A few tips I have about this.

1. Use double sided tape instead of regular masking tape on both the face and vice's anvil portion as well as where the stamps will go. It helps it stay in place much better.

2. Write your ideas in pencil on the tape to give you a guide as to where to put the stamps. It helps with alignment.

3. As for paintfilling, I don't like using qtips because you introduce cotton particles. I prefer to use either a toothpick, or even better, the needle tipped bottled I have. A-West manufactures some great ones that work perfectly. It's much faster and easier IMO.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I've done two sets of wedges, and I have a couple thoughts.

Tips #1, #2, & #3: Start with old wedges! Start with old wedges! Start with old wedges! The first one is, unless you are very lucky/talented, going to look bad.

Use a heavy enough mallet and swing hard.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

The cool thing about hand stamping is that it doesn't have to be perfectly straight. The dancing letters or slight imperfection gives it a pretty cool look.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Just reading this article made me fear for the potential wounding of my clubs. Maybe I'll get fancy shaft bands instead.

LOL. Right on.... I want to make my clubs custom just as much as the next guy. But, one ill fated swing with that hammer could put me out several hundos.

I'm always hesitant to do this kind of stuff because I know I will eventually want the shiny, new wedge next year and personalizing your clubs in this way really kills resale on the Bay. :(

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I'm always hesitant to do this kind of stuff because I know I will eventually want the shiny, new wedge next year and personalizing your clubs in this way really kills resale on the Bay. :)

you sell your old clubs??? thats like selling your children into slavery... with the exception of putters.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• 2 years later...

I've had the best results instead of a standard mallet, using a heavy dead blow hammer. Less bounce back and chance of the punch slipping. Definitely glad I practiced on older clubs first.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

The best results for me are with high quality stamps (I like CH Hansen Rhino or Young Bros) and a heavy mini sledge (3 lb is my preference). One to two solid strikes and you're done.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Archived