Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Pxg are they making money?

tjyorke

They have been out long enough. Anyone if they are making money ?   Tough market at their price point. 

Family , golf , fitness , tournaments, and yes work. Golf junky.  

15 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Tough Market at their price point?  I see it as the opposite.  They have actually created a market in which the other OEMs are starting to play (Titleist Concept irons, TMaG P790ti, etc)

Very true look at honma etc. Lots of snobby richy richs out there.

Jazz woods (Driver & Hybrids), TNT Silver Eagle Irons, PW & SW, Slotline Inertia putter. TopFlite Gammer.

2 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I have a Honma driver....... Not snobby, or rich.

Also, the new TR20 irons are $1200 a set. That’s on par with Callaway, TaylorMade, Titleist, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry just being sarcastic. Honma seems good except for those golf clubs that cost $20k?

$1200 a set is crazy anyway you look at it though.

Jazz woods (Driver & Hybrids), TNT Silver Eagle Irons, PW & SW, Slotline Inertia putter. TopFlite Gammer.

2 hours ago, tjyorke said:

They have been out long enough. Anyone if they are making money ?   Tough market at their price point. 

They are making money and have been rated by inc 500 as one of the fastest growing businesses. 

They are in the high end niche market and there is always a market for that. Despite that they have a comparable or better market share in irons as some well know mainstream brands. Theres been a market for Miura and other high end jdm. Most don’t see it at their everyday muni and most public courses but it’s there.

As jlukes mentioned they brought enough attention with their sales that other brands have jumped on it some with some success and others maybe not as much. Titleist did it with TMB and Concpt irons. The tmb were a good driving iron and didn’t sell much in the full set and titleist moved into and went with the u500/510. The cncpt irons they make in a small batch of about 1000 sets at a premium price and sell out.  Callaway tried with the epic forged rons and to my knowledge it wasn’t that successful. We will see if they do another release for those as a replacement set or if they move on

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Sorry just being sarcastic. Honma seems good except for those golf clubs that cost $20k?
$1200 a set is crazy anyway you look at it though.

Those are the Beres clubs. Yeah, crazy expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

My post was more i simply didn't know. My thoughts are if you can afford them go for it. No one should care , just like the guy playing a 10yr old driver who cares. Too many judge by clubs.  

The PXG offerings are intriguing to me. I’d like to get my hands on LH demos to see if they are better for me than what I’m playing now.
I think it’s a great looking club thru the lineup.
As far as making money I believe they are.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

10 minutes ago, Rickp said:

The PXG offerings are intriguing to me. I’d like to get my hands on LH demos to see if they are better for me than what I’m playing now.
I think it’s a great looking club thru the lineup.
As far as making money I believe they are.

The heroes program crushed the second had market prices for gen1 and gen2 after they were released. You could probably find a single club on eBay for a decent price and last time I checked $1200 was max price for a like new set. When I sold my Gen2 last year I squeaked our $1k locally for them and they only had maybe 7-8 rounds on them.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

The heroes program crushed the second had market prices for gen1 and gen2 after they were released. You could probably find a single club on eBay for a decent price and last time I checked $1200 was max price for a like new set. When I sold my Gen2 last year I squeaked our $1k locally for them and they only had maybe 7-8 rounds on them.

I’ve seen 2 right hand sets in the wild and they are really good looking clubs.
Putters were on sale last week for $125 then $175 but I didn’t pull the trigger.

Rick

Left Hand, 

39 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I’ve seen 2 right hand sets in the wild and they are really good looking clubs.
Putters were on sale last week for $125 then $175 but I didn’t pull the trigger.

I think lots of people were taking advantage of the heroes program and flipping for a small profit. They had Somme good deals on putters too including free ones with 0211 iron purchase iirc. It’s nice they are a brand that offers everything in LH but like most there aren’t many in the wild 

On 4/27/2020 at 12:54 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

They are making money and have been rated by inc 500 as one of the fastest growing businesses. 

They are in the high end niche market and there is always a market for that. Despite that they have a comparable or better market share in irons as some well know mainstream brands. Theres been a market for Miura and other high end jdm. Most don’t see it at their everyday muni and most public courses but it’s there.

As jlukes mentioned they brought enough attention with their sales that other brands have jumped on it some with some success and others maybe not as much. Titleist did it with TMB and Concpt irons. The tmb were a good driving iron and didn’t sell much in the full set and titleist moved into and went with the u500/510. The cncpt irons they make in a small batch of about 1000 sets at a premium price and sell out.  Callaway tried with the epic forged rons and to my knowledge it wasn’t that successful. We will see if they do another release for those as a replacement set or if they move on

You can't throw a rock without hitting a set of PXGs at my club.  They aren't common at muni's and public courses like you said, but they are definitely all over a lot of private courses.

DRIVER: PXG Proto 0811 X - Graphite Design Tour AD GP7x +1/2"

3W: Taylormade SIM Rocket - Graphite Design Tour AD GP6s

HYBRID: PXG 0317X 17* - PX HC Hzrdus Black 6.5 (shelved)

IRONS: PXG Gen 3 0311T 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1" | PXG Gen 2 0311P 3-4 - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1"

WEDGES: PXG Forged 54, PXG Sugar Daddy 58 - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1"

PUTTER: Taylormade MySpider X - 36.00" 3* Loft 71* Lie

You can't throw a rock without hitting a set of PXGs at my club.  They aren't common at muni's and public courses like you said, but they are definitely all over a lot of private courses.

Huh, interesting. Their like seeing a Unicorn in our part FL. In 4 years I’ve seen 2 sets. They are definitely easy to spot.

Rick

Left Hand, 

The No Putts Given Podcast said PXG were discounting up to 50% during April to boost online sales during the Coronavirus Pandemic. Would this not really annoy someone who forked out full price for an iron set pre-discount? They hiked the prices and created this niche market. It's a more exclusive brand. The problem I see is that this move will dilute that exclusivity and the people who bought these irons because they could afford them may not continue to buy them if everyone can afford them (at discounted prices). Have PXG removed the "U" in their "USP"?

I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on this. 

Edited by jaybeemaestro

The No Putts Given Podcast said PXG were discounting up to 50% during April to boost online sales during the Coronavirus Pandemic. Would this not really annoy someone who forked out full price for an iron set pre-discount? They hiked the prices and created this niche market. It's a more exclusive brand. The problem I see is that this move will dilute that exclusivity and the people who bought these irons because they could afford them may not continue to buy them if everyone can afford them (at discounted prices). Have PXG removed the "U" in their "USP"?

Having been fit and bought an entire PXG bag in February the answer is no. They had full bag deals before the price cuts that were less than what the current specials are. I just for fun built my entire bag with the new pricing and without the upgraded shafts that I have and the bag that was included I was still about $600 under the current pricing. Also the pricing they have now is essentially the Heroes pricing that they always have just extended to the mass populous. If anything I think it will build some brand equity and get more people into their gear that normally would not play it.

I do agree with the podcast in that their sales model gave them a better chance to move product with most retailers closed. Also the model Ben Hogan uses and they just launched new product today that will get some traction in the coming days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

53 minutes ago, jaybeemaestro said:

Not at all. I bought Gen2 before they were out on the heroes program and wasn’t bothered by it at all.

Most people who are buying them aren’t concerned with the price they have to pay. This discount is no different than active duty, military vet or first responders getting better pricing than those without that status.

29 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

Having been fit and bought an entire PXG bag in February the answer is no. They had full bag deals before the price cuts that were less than what the current specials are. I just for fun built my entire bag with the new pricing and without the upgraded shafts that I have and the bag that was included I was still about $600 under the current pricing. Also the pricing they have now is essentially the Heroes pricing that they always have just extended to the mass populous. If anything I think it will build some brand equity and get more people into their gear that normally would not play it.

I do agree with the podcast in that their sales model gave them a better chance to move product with most retailers closed. Also the model Ben Hogan uses and they just launched new product today that will get some traction in the coming days.

OK, cool. I was just wondering. PXG does not have that big of a footprint here in the Ireland. PXG sets are few and far between (as the saying goes) this side of the Atlantic. I'd say most purchases are online. If any of the retailers have, and I can't recall seeing them, they would not be doing the "heroes" offer.

23 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Not at all. I bought Gen2 before they were out on the heroes program and wasn’t bothered by it at all.

Most people who are buying them aren’t concerned with the price they have to pay. This discount is no different than active duty, military vet or first responders getting better pricing than those without that status.

So essentially they were hitting the public at the "heroes" offer anyway. They seem like nice clubs. Glad you like them. Would love to try them some day but not really available here and I think I'll get fit for my next iron set.

On 4/27/2020 at 10:11 AM, Jmikecpa said:

I have a full PXG bag...and I would also say I am neither as well.

Have you had sets from the traditional brands?  Are the PXGs noticeably different from those?

:ping-small:  G410+  9° Stiff
:cobra-small:  F9 3W
:ping-small:  i210 4-Pw Stiff
:ping-small:  3H
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 52, 56, 60
:ping-small: Sigma
:srixon-small: Zstar

5 minutes ago, SnoopMatty said:

Have you had sets from the traditional brands?  Are the PXGs noticeably different from those?

Noticeably is a subjective aspect like when people talk about significant differences or gains between models years. What is noticeably for one may not for the other.

In my experience with the gen1 and gen2 irons they have been longer and more consistent dispersion than some other brands with similar designs. The feel for me in the pxg is better than ping, Taylormade and Callaway irons. The overall performance was better as well. Only reason I dumped my gen2 was I put Miuras back in the bag and the pxg weren’t going to see much course time

I have heard the pro's didnt like the early sets due to getting jumpers. Interesting the prices have now fallen below everyone else for certain pxg. 

47 minutes ago, tjyorke said:

I have heard the pro's didnt like the early sets due to getting jumpers. Interesting the prices have now fallen below everyone else for certain pxg. 

What's a jumper?

:ping-small:  G410+  9° Stiff
:cobra-small:  F9 3W
:ping-small:  i210 4-Pw Stiff
:ping-small:  3H
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 52, 56, 60
:ping-small: Sigma
:srixon-small: Zstar

1 minute ago, SnoopMatty said:

What's a jumper?

It’s a ball that goes further than expected. It’s something that’s been noted in clubs like the Callaway Apex cf16, p790s for some, i500 for some. 

I have not heard about that or seen it with pxg. The cf16 were the only clubs I’ve experienced it happening with 

Name a brand, I have owned it and played it. My bag prior to PXG was all Titleist and they were fine for me. The TS woods are solid, same with the 818 hybrids. Loved the look of the TMB irons but struggled to strike them well consistently at times (mainly due to shaft) and loved the SM7 wedges.

Are PXGs better, can’t say yes and can’t say no. I will say the fitting was the best and most thorough that I have ever been through and the clubs were all fit with a purpose. The shafts in my irons would not have been my first choice but they perform. We stayed with wood and iron shafts that I am familiar with but changed to a more forgiving driver head. So far they are doing exactly what they were built to do and I am striking the ball better than I have in years. That being said I am not sure I would be in the market for a second bag once these run their course and get worn out just based on price.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

• 1 year later...

As the saying goes, it it the shaft that drives the irons/drivers/fairways/hybrids.  Was looking at PXGs irons the other day with KBS or Project X shafts and with my Veterans Discount a set would cost me almost $1500, which means retail would be $3000.  Guess you can get them cheaper with their stock shafts.  Their prices are up there with the other manufacturers except the exotics made for the Japanese market.  They have no problem moving them across the ocean.  PXG has not middle man nor retail accounts.  You can only get them thru them direct.  Figure their ROI is pretty good.   

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE