Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Pxg are they making money?

tjyorke

First, they have dropped prices and are very competitive with many of their products. Second, I don't think Parson's cares! PXG is a hobby for him.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

On 4/27/2020 at 11:47 AM, tjyorke said:

They have been out long enough. Anyone if they are making money ?   Tough market at their price point. 

They are likely doing well enough to keep operating.  While they can be pricy, the gen 2 I have are very nice and I’d stick with them when it’s time for a new set. 

49 minutes ago, Vicnuts said:

No

Tell me you haven’t read anything about pxg’s financial success without telling me you haven’t easy anything about their financial success.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

27 minutes ago, Taos said:

They are likely doing well enough to keep operating.  While they can be pricy, the gen 2 I have are very nice and I’d stick with them when it’s time for a new set. 

The only thing that’s “pricey” are the Gen 4 irons but that’s been the case for every new release. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

To me buying PXG's is like buying a Rolls Royce.  It is a classy name and brand, it has a high ticket association.  But you can buy a car that has just as much luxury, performance and options at a lower price point that works just as well.  I see PXG's in a guy's bag and think, 'He paid an extra few hundred bucks for a logo'.

On 4/27/2020 at 8:47 AM, tjyorke said:

They have been out long enough. Anyone if they are making money ?   Tough market at their price point. 

People will always have money for what they want or "need" I remember in the middle of the pandemic when people were getting laid off that shopping would be down. Then I took a photo of the line outside the Louis Vuitton store. People will still and always find the money for the things they want.

I tell my staff that with my business. Everyday people buy Ford and Chevy, also everyday people buy Ferrari and Lamborghini. 

Edited by Fenix

35 minutes ago, bobsarobot said:

To me buying PXG's is like buying a Rolls Royce.  It is a classy name and brand, it has a high ticket association.  But you can buy a car that has just as much luxury, performance and options at a lower price point that works just as well.  I see PXG's in a guy's bag and think, 'He paid an extra few hundred bucks for a logo'.

Where the analogy falls apart is that you can find the performance, options, and lower price you’re talking about without leaving the PXG brand. Just go with the 0211 line or Gen 3 instead of Gen 4.

If you were to look in someone’s bag and say he/she paid an extra few hundred bucks for a logo, you could be way off.

On 4/27/2020 at 10:11 AM, Jmikecpa said:

I have a full PXG bag...and I would also say I am neither as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but not in the bag for 2022?

PXG Gen 4 Driver, 3W and 3H

PXG Gen 2 XF Irons 5-G

PXG Gen 2 54/58

PXG One and Done

:srixon-small: Q-Star 

:Arccos:

While no doubt their equipment is good, their commercials sound like they are pushing used cars or mobile homes. The voiceover by Mr. Parsons sounds cheap and desperate. Your mileage may vary.

Wilson D7 driver, 13-degrees, A-flex UST Mamiya Helium

Wilson LaunchPad 3-wood, 5 wood, 4-hybrid

Cobra F-Max 5-7 hybrids

Cobra Max 8-9-PW irons

Cleveland CBX 48-54-60

Some Odyssey putter

2 hours ago, bobsarobot said:

Have you look and at any pricing of the pxg irons lately. The 0211 line is some of the best performing product on the market and is cheaper than a lot of if not every main stream brand. The Gen 4 woods and hybrids at regular price are inline with or slightly cheaper than the mainstream brands and are currently on sale for less than all of them. The irons currently on sale for about $12/more iron than some other brands current releases.

The gen 2 and 3 stuff can be had for a steal right now 

For all those who haven't looked recently, PXG now has a whole bunch of price points, from Rolls Royce (as per a previous writer) all the way to Kia or VW.  Parsons is a self (?) made milionaire so let him spend or charge as he wants.  I see a decent number of pros, men and women, in PXG.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

33 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

All Hogan sets are more expensive than 0211s and nearly all are more than the 0311 gen 3. I think some of you guys haven't looked at pxg prices for ages. 

PXG 0211 ST $1,700 on a discount retailer website here in Australia, while the PXG GEN4 0311 P Irons are $3,600. [All in Aussie Dollars].

Yep - cheap as chips! Hogan Icons = $1,224

I'll take the Icons anyday!

Edited by DrRob1963
Defined currency as Australian Dollars.

14 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

Fair enough. Here the 0211dc can be had for 600,st for about 670, including shipping. 0311 gen 3 about 900. Hogans go from about 700 to about 900, but with much more limited custom options, so a lot of extra cost if you want different shafts, grips, etc. 

There's also the matter of ease of use. From the reviews I've read, not sure I would be comfortable playing any of the hogans. I went to pxg for lower launch and spin. All the hogans look to be for more traditional style (some would say better) players. I appreciate companies that try to suit all levels and styles of play. 

I have played "player's irons" since I was a Junior [48 years!], and play off a handicap now of 5-7 [mostly]. I really like the feel and look of bladed clubs, and enjoy the challenge of controlling ball flight & spin. I've tried the bigger cavities, but they usually have a lot of offset, do not suit my eye and feel clunky - I like that feeling of a quality blade hit from the sweet spot! My handicap has been no different either way, so I play the type of clubs I like to play - blades.

A few golfing friends tried playing blades - some liked them, some didn't, but one hit 3 shanks out of 4 and walked away muttering unrepeatables!

Basically, I think the vast majority of golfers should play what gives them most enjoyment on the golf course. For you that may be the PXG 0211s, for me it's a quality blade!

14 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

Our handicaps are identical. I played blades when I was younger. At this point in my life, I don't generate the swing speed to carry long irons far enough with blades. 3-6 all bunch up within 10 yards of each other. With stronger lofted, hollow irons, I have consistent gaps and I hit the 5 far enough that I can then fill the long distances with a hybrid and 2 woods. And with the foam in the 0211dc, the feel is actuality pretty darn good. I play a lot of low shots that release and roll. Many players with our handicap would be embarrassed with my current style of play, but for me it's always been how many, not how. Just shows there's more than one way to play this game (relatively) effectively. 

It's the way I've been playing for 10 years now.  Reminds me of the old f@rts that I used to play with when I took up this crazy game.  In the winter they played low run-up shots to the greens because the ground was frozen; the were very good at it.  They should be... that's how they played all year long!!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

30 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

Our handicaps are identical. I played blades when I was younger. At this point in my life, I don't generate the swing speed to carry long irons far enough with blades. 3-6 all bunch up within 10 yards of each other. With stronger lofted, hollow irons, I have consistent gaps and I hit the 5 far enough that I can then fill the long distances with a hybrid and 2 woods. And with the foam in the 0211dc, the feel is actuality pretty darn good. I play a lot of low shots that release and roll. Many players with our handicap would be embarrassed with my current style of play, but for me it's always been how many, not how. Just shows there's more than one way to play this game (relatively) effectively. 

I'm hearing you! My longest iron is 5-iron nowadays.

I will never buy PXG equipment.  Parsons is the reason we are all paying $500 plus for most companies' drivers and higher prices for irons.  When he first came out with his clubs, they were extremely high priced.  The other companies saw what he was getting away with and jumped on the bandwagon.  Now I am buying second-hand clubs or looking on eBay for better deals.

Will echo what others have said about PXG fitting. Was in Scottsdale in December for the Day Job and scheduled a fitting and tour at the PXG HQ.  My fitter was very thorough, and while he wanted to get me into the Gen 4 irons, it was pretty clear there wasn't all that much difference between those and the 0211 irons. I told him "you guys made these too good!" He agreed. 

We tried but couldn't come up with a combo to beat the driver I brought with me (new XXIO X), but I did get a Gen4 2-wood and hybrid, along with the irons. We tried every shaft imaginable but couldn't come up with anything better than the no-upcharge Elevate. 

As for business, since it's Parsons owned, he doesn't answer to anyone, so he can run his business the way he wants. I will tell you the assembly area was running like a finely tuned machine. They had 12 work pods and each would build up 8 custom orders at a time - very well organized for maximum efficiency. One area would pick the materials for the orders and place them on carts, which would then be wheeled to one of the 8 pods. There a team would build the order in an assembly line. 

They wouldn't let me take pictures in the warehouse, but Parsons read the pre-lockdown tea leaves perfectly. He saw that one result of the pandemic could be a global supply chain mess, so he stocked up on damn near everything - and his warehouse is still packed. That's why PXG can turn around a custom order in about a week or so, while others are 3 to 6 months out. 

And pricing? When you have high-end product like the Gen4, you don't have to have big market share to make money. Let's say they have a 15% margin on both the 0211s and the Gen4s (I don't know what the margin really is, just making a point), would you rather have 15% margin on $600 or $2500? In Bob's case, he'll take both, especially since he doesn't share any of it with retail accounts. 

Additionally, their PR/Marketing person told me PXG will be opening up several new fitting centers in major cities in 2022. Basically they'll be PXG branded stores where you can get fit and buy other PXG accessories and apparel. Even more are planned for 2023. 

So yeah, I'd say they're doing okay. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

11 hours ago, DrRob1963 said:

I would hate to see a situation where PXG [super expensive clubs] thrives, while a maker of highest quality, but cheaper clubs goes bust - such as the Ben Hogan clubs.

Well since PXG isn’t super expensive brand and if you think they don’t have high quality you may be slightly biased.

I guess you would hate Miura’s success because they are an expensive brand.

Its as much about business models as it is the product. Would you prefer ben hogan succeed more than sub 70 or new level? 

22 minutes ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Will echo what others have said about PXG fitting. Was in Scottsdale in December for the Day Job and scheduled a fitting and tour at the PXG HQ.  My fitter was very thorough, and while he wanted to get me into the Gen 4 irons, it was pretty clear there wasn't all that much difference between those and the 0211 irons. I told him "you guys made these too good!" He agreed. 

We tried but couldn't come up with a combo to beat the driver I brought with me (new XXIO X), but I did get a Gen4 2-wood and hybrid, along with the irons. We tried every shaft imaginable but couldn't come up with anything better than the no-upcharge Elevate. 

As for business, since it's Parsons owned, he doesn't answer to anyone, so he can run his business the way he wants. I will tell you the assembly area was running like a finely tuned machine. They had 12 work pods and each would build up 8 custom orders at a time - very well organized for maximum efficiency. One area would pick the materials for the orders and place them on carts, which would then be wheeled to one of the 8 pods. There a team would build the order in an assembly line. 

They wouldn't let me take pictures in the warehouse, but Parsons read the pre-lockdown tea leaves perfectly. He saw that one result of the pandemic could be a global supply chain mess, so he stocked up on damn near everything - and his warehouse is still packed. That's why PXG can turn around a custom order in about a week or so, while others are 3 to 6 months out. 

And pricing? When you have high-end product like the Gen4, you don't have have big market share to make money. Let's say they have a 15% margin on both the 0211s and the Gen4s (I don't know what the margin really is, just making a point), would you rather have 15% margin on $600 or $2500? In Bob's case, he'll take both, especially since he doesn't share any of it with retail accounts. 

Additionally, their PR/Marketing person told me PXG will be opening up several new fitting centers in major cities in 2022. Basically they'll be PXG branded stores where you can get fit and buy other PXG accessories and apparel. Even more are planned for 2023. 

So yeah, I'd say they're doing okay. 

Wish I could like this x1000

Its not only big cities but in smaller ones near big cities. I drove by the one in King of Prussia, PA not that far from Philly.

Iirc there were close to 25 listed on their career site 

I've grazed this thread and I have just one question.

How many people here have a strongly held opinion about PXG AND have swung them in an actual fitting?  I think we all know the answer but I still figure it's worth mentioning.  

Last week I went for an iron fitting and threw in a Callaway X Forged UT head thinking there was no way this was even worth my time.  One swing later and it was "uhhh, this thing is legit."  A club I never ever thought would contend was the legit #2 among 5 heads.  

Keep an open mind people...the best club for your game just may be a PXG...

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I bought PXG irons and like them. They were on sale (I believe they were $89 a club) and were cheaper than TaylorMade, titleist, or Ping at the time. 

i like them, but am not thrilled with the “elite $” brand. Kind of douchey to see the full PXG bag player wearing the hat.  I just wanted good irons at a good price and they fit the bill. I keep the “brand” on the down-low. 

👍🏻

Edited by 63to69
Typo

17 hours ago, RATOUR7 said:

Not a fan of there sharp edge robot mechanical looking design.. I like the smoother looking lines of design in  aerodynamics  in a golf club ..

Then you should look at the 0211 irons

14 hours ago, roberthd said:

While no doubt their equipment is good, their commercials sound like they are pushing used cars or mobile homes. The voiceover by Mr. Parsons sounds cheap and desperate. Your mileage may vary.

I agree. The clubs feel good and perform but those screws on the irons are not a good look. Worst golf equipment commercials……

4 hours ago, bens197 said:

How many people here have a strongly held opinion about PXG AND have swung them in an actual fitting?  I think we all know the answer but I still figure it's worth mentioning.  

Keep an open mind people...the best club for your game just may be a PXG...

... And add to that the 0311 Gen3 P's and T's are $903 which is a good $400-500 less expensive than many OEM's comparable irons. Looking for a players distance iron, I hit them and I was going to order a set of 0311 Gen3 P's but the visual offset was just too much for my personal tastes. If the offset does not bother you or even better, you like a little offset, I can't imagine a better bargain right now than the 0311 P's or XP's. If I were not playing King Tour irons and very happy with them I would have ordered the 0311 T's with $60 MMT shafts for the same $903 but performance was virtually identical to my Cobra's. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

A few of years ago I was looking for some new irons. I never really considered PXG because of the price. Then they introduced The for Heroes program. I purchased a set of Gen 1 0211 irons for $665 and a Gen 1 0341 3 wood with a Project X EvenFlow Blue shaft for $95. I have zero regrets. The 3 wood is the best 3 wood I’ve ever played.

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:PXG: 0311 Black Ops 8° w/Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 60

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 4 w/Mitsubishi Tensei Blue

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

Back in December a club addict I know had a new set of PGX, recommended I get a set as they were 'only' $600 a set of irons. From research I had done in the past, I was not interested; maybe they have better designed clubs now, but I am happy rotating through my 712MB's, AP2's, T-MB's, 681's, 962B's, 990b's, 670's, 680's, and many others that have never met their promise of more distance, better accuracy. Would be interested in Titleists custom irons for pros,  reduced offset, made to order sole grinds, profiles and more. Would be interested in a true fitting of all product from Titleist made USA and Japan forgings. Titleist email me here or my email on file with TT.