Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

HEAVY or LIGHT shafts which and why???

Zen Snake

5 hours ago, krusher74 said:

you must clean the area you are going to put it with something, mineral spirits etc.  then i warm the lead tape with a fan heater to warm the glue, once its on and set i use knife handle of something the rub along it to really press it on hard. 

Cool thanks.  I will try it next time

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

As you age you will find lighter shafts are of benefit. Once your over 65, you'll be loving them. Am 74 and that's all I use.

Yup, I’m 73 and driver is 55 gr & irons 60 gr. Occasionally the driver “feels” light but that maybe Tempo issue.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• 2 weeks later...

I was always on the heavier side till I did a 3 weight shaft study. 85, 95 and 105g shafts. I had 8 better players including me. Every one of them swore they couldn't hit the 85 at all. Yet every one of them. Hit it farther. Hit it straighter. Hit it more consistently.
They still said they preferred their heavier weighted shafts but couldn't explain the better performance away.
Many golfers are convinced they must play heavier shafts.
Right now the Xcaliber 75g Rapid Tapers are being produced and I'm doing a lot of player testing. I simply hand them the club and won't tell them what it weighs. They marvel at the feel, launch and the near perfect spin numbers without ballooning. They will tell me it does feel lite, they can feel the club head, it is responsive and controlled. When they hear how much it weighs they make a funny face and say its too light. Then they hit another 10 shots down range straight as an arrow.
The less weight obviously doesn't do well for better player when you get to wedges. But slower swings do exceptionally well.
Players are slowly realizing that shafts built today don't have to be 130g to perform.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I tend to do better with heavier shafts.  Its easier for me to control tempo.  I have a swing speed at about 110MPH average with my driver.  I can't control the club head as easy with lighter shafts.  Believe it or not I feel comfortable swinging harder with the heavier shaft because subconsciously I know I can control my club head better.

I guess if I were a pro I'd be focusing on how to dial all that in with a lighter shaft.  But there is just something to be said about being a worm burner occasionally.  It gives me the chance to laugh and enjoy golf instead of focusing on being perfect. 

The biggest thing I've learned about shafts is that I know very little about them, and I go into a fitting as a blank slate and let the fitter do his/her magic. 

Edited by Hadi05
Spelling errors

Mavrik Max 9 degree loft w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Maverick Max 3W, 5W w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Mavrik Max 3H, KBS tour prototype 70/80 X-Stiff 80g

Speedblade 4-PW, AW, SW KBS Siff 85g

Ghost Sypder putter

bourbon to be drank neat

An update to my earlier post, still frickin love the Smoke Green 60 (actual full length weight of the 6.5 TX is 65 gr).  I trimmed a 1/2" off for a total of 44 3/4" driver now with swing weight at D3.  I'm hitting some bombs that Phil would salute to and much, much better dispersion.  I have the 80 gr version in my 3 wood, but I like the extra heft there.  I think I mentioned it in my first post on this thread, but this is the only sub 70 gr driver shaft I've ever gotten along with.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

I tend to do better with heavier shafts.  Its easier for me to control tempo.  I have a swing speed at about 110MPH average with my driver.  I can't control the club head as easy with lighter shafts.  Believe it or not I feel comfortable swinging harder with the heavier shaft because subconsciously I know I can control my club head better.

I guess if I were a pro I'd be focusing on how to dial all that in with a lighter shaft.  But there is just something to be said about being a worm burner occasionally.  It gives me the chance to laugh and enjoy golf instead of focusing on being perfect. 

The biggest thing I've learned about shafts is that I know very little about them, and I go into a fitting as a blank slate and let the fitter do his/her magic. 
Like anything, once you get some time with lighter shafts you quickly get used to how they feel. Now when i swing a 125 or a 130g shaft it feels like a cinder block.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

125 to 130g is a cinder block!  Lol.

Im at

70g 1W, 3W, 5W

80g 3h

85g on irons (I've hit a few with 105g and like those too, but haven't been fitted for my irons)

Mavrik Max 9 degree loft w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Maverick Max 3W, 5W w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Mavrik Max 3H, KBS tour prototype 70/80 X-Stiff 80g

Speedblade 4-PW, AW, SW KBS Siff 85g

Ghost Sypder putter

bourbon to be drank neat