TESTERS WANTED! ×

My name is David and I'm a hooker

Most every shot I take I plan to hit a draw, putting notwithstanding. If I set up for a fade, I draw the ball. I get away with most shots and the hook does show up. Looking for tips from those that have tamed their draw/hook into something to write home about and whisper "Yes, Ben, I know how you feel." Setting up square to my desired line, ball off left heel, and fairly neutral grip.

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

2 hours ago, Titleist87 said:

Most every shot I take I plan to hit a draw, putting notwithstanding. If I set up for a fade, I draw the ball. I get away with most shots and the hook does show up. Looking for tips from those that have tamed their draw/hook into something to write home about and whisper "Yes, Ben, I know how you feel." Setting up square to my desired line, ball off left heel, and fairly neutral grip.

do you understand the ball flight laws and how to achieve the different ball flights?   When you say you setup for a fade,  what do you do differently?  Do you change clubs path or face angle in relation to path and target line?  

On the other hand,  what is hitting a draw a bad thing?   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

15 hours ago, Titleist87 said:

What is your something to write home about?  I've tamed my miss of a massive hook.  

16 hours ago, cnosil said:

do you understand the ball flight laws and how to achieve the different ball flights?   When you say you setup for a fade,  what do you do differently?  Do you change clubs path or face angle in relation to path and target line?  

On the other hand,  what is hitting a draw a bad thing?   

Absolutely. Been playing this game for 40+ years. I think it was Lee Trevino who said "you can talk to a fade but a draw just will not listen." I'm doing something to go back to draw/hook characteristics. I really need to see a teaching pro to work things out. 

A draw is not bad thing when the hole is setup for such flight. Thankfully, most doglegs on courses I play are favorable to a draw.

Ben Hogan fought a draw throughout is golfing career so I am in good company.

Edited by Titleist87

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

I've always found Butch Harmon's advice to be best:  if you're trying to get away from a certain ball flight, go to the range and grind until you can consistently produce the opposite.  In your case, set up open, move the ball forward, swing more upright/steeply, path more out to in, and try to come into impact with your upper-body more open (shoulder pointing down third base line for a right-hander) at impact.  Finding a spot to hit balls with the ball below your feet is great practice.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

1 hour ago, Titleist87 said:

Absolutely. Been playing this game for 40+ years. I think it was Lee Trevino who said "you can talk to a fade but a draw just will not listen." I'm doing something to go back to draw/hook characteristics. I really need to see a teaching pro to work things out. 

A draw is not bad thing when the hole is setup for such flight. Thankfully, most doglegs on courses I play are favorable to a draw.

Ben Hogan fought a draw throughout is golfing career so I am in good company.

Then why due a vast majority of professionals play a certain shape or a less than normal shape on all holes regardless of the layout of the hole?  

1 hour ago, edteergolf said:

Then why due a vast majority of professionals play a certain shape or a less than normal shape on all holes regardless of the layout of the hole?  

I know, I know 😉🤣

This game is hard enough, eliminate variables, pick one thing and do it well and your scores will improve. If it's a fade play it, if it's a draw play it. Almost exclusively without regard to what's in front of you. 

Tiger is well known for his 9 shots, but he is probably the only one that should be doing this. Am's trying this or attempting to master it are not helping themselves. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

31 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I know, I know 😉🤣

This game is hard enough, eliminate variables, pick one thing and do it well and your scores will improve. If it's a fade play it, if it's a draw play it. Almost exclusively without regard to what's in front of you. 

Tiger is well known for his 9 shots, but he is probably the only one that should be doing this. Am's trying this or attempting to master it are not helping themselves. 

Eliminating variables that have no place and exploiting ones that do is a great strategy.  This still doesn't solve a shot that you don't want to see or the magnitude of the miss.  I believe my players have some bias built in that makes on shot easier than the other.  Let's identify the root cause of the big or costly miss that also improves the desired shot.  That effort should produce a predictable start line, shape, and distance with adequate precision for the task.  You still have something to solve but it isn't the ability to play both ways.  I ask my college team to have a stock shape, reduced shape, normal trajectory, sightly lower trajectory, & a head high trajectory.  There are some distance requirements  but they aren't relevant when controlling and overly curving golf ball.