TESTERS WANTED! ×

Range Finder vs. GPS

I'm sure this topic has been discussed ad nauseam but I'm going to give it a rip anyway. When playing a round of golf what do you prefer to use a Range Finder or GPS Unit whether it's a watch or handheld device? I play with a Range Finder but I have been entertaining the idea of switching over to a GPS unit. I really like the Garmin Approach S62. I was wondering if anyone as information on the Garmin Approach S62 or information on switching over? Or what y'all prefer to use. 

:ping-small: G400 SFT 

:taylormade-small: SLDR 3Wood

:ping-small: G400 4Hybrid

:ping-small: i210 Orange Dot 5-PW KBS Tour Stiff

:taylormade-small:Hi-Toe 52/56/58

:taylormade-small:Mullen 2 Putter

I'm sure this topic has been discussed ad nauseam but I'm going to give it a rip anyway. When playing a round of golf what do you prefer to use a Range Finder or GPS Unit whether it's a watch or handheld device? I play with a Range Finder but I have been entertaining the idea of switching over to a GPS unit. I really like the Garmin Approach S62. I was wondering if anyone as information on the Garmin Approach S62 or information on switching over? Or what y'all prefer to use. 

I find the range finder difficult to use and often throws me off rhythm. For most holes you have to shoot several different end points before getting the quantity and quality of information you get from a good gps system at a single glance. Whether you are a walker or rider you can watch your GPS as you move to your ball.

My pet peeve? A guy standing 40 yards from the pin with a range finder in hand.....

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I have only used a GPS system on the course and appreciate the ability to see multiple distances to various targets or hazards quickly compared to the need to shoot a range finder at each specific obstacle or target.

I would like to have a range finder for the driving range though. The GPS is useless there.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

47 minutes ago, palvord said:

I have only used a GPS system on the course and appreciate the ability to see multiple distances to various targets or hazards quickly compared to the need to shoot a range finder at each specific obstacle or target.

I would like to have a range finder fro the driving range though. The GPS is useless there.

That is a very valid point about having a range finder on the driving range.

1 hour ago, SteddyGolf said:

I find the range finder difficult to use and often throws me off rhythm. For most holes you have to shoot several different end points before getting the quantity and quality of information you get from a good gps system at a single glance. Whether you are a walker or rider you can watch your GPS as you move to your ball.

My pet peeve? A guy standing 40 yards from the pin with a range finder in hand.....

I am right there with you about seeing someone pull out a range finder from less than 50! Thank you for the feedback!

I used a range finder for years and was comfortable with it on the course. A couple of years age I really got to wonder if I was missing out not switching to a GPS. I got one of those that showed you an over view of the hole, would zoom in on the green when with in a specific distance. I have also tried one of those little GPS units that give you front, middle and back of the green. I used them both for 1 season and left the range finder to home.

For me the GPS units were more of a hassle for me than the range finder. The small GPS giving me front, middle and back was just to general, especially on large greens. The one with the over view of the entire hole was giving me the same info I could get from my range finder, the only issue was connecting with the satellite at times when it was cloudy out.  Not to mention if you forget to charge it before going to the course, My rangefinder can go an entire season on one battery.

So I'm back to my range finder exclusively, I can shot a distance just as fast as someone looking at a GPS unit and feel more confidence when shooting at the pin knowing exactly the distance to the pin itself.

I also keep track of the yardage markers (200, 150, 100 and such) located on the course and really only pull out the range finder when going at the pin, even inside 100 yards. I know I can shoot a distance under 5 seconds, and feel confident in that reading. I would agree that at times there are those who feel it necessary to shoot the distance multiple times or shoot distances at multiple objects, that can be frustrating when trying to maintain a pace of play. For par 3's I don't step up on the tee box to shoot the distance, that takes too much time as far as I'm concerned, I shoot it from my bag either on the cart or from the pull cart these days. That gets me a distance I can work with.

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

I've always preferred LRF over GPS for its accuracy. Problems with satellites, cloudy days and my course redesigns 1-2 holes every couple of seasons and most GPS units do their mapping with satellital images that haven't been updated in years.

But... I prepurchased the ShotScope V3 and look forward to testing both on the course.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I use both a range finder and gps in my samsung watch (via arccos). I think they compliment each other nicely. I can shoot the distance to the pin or hazard with the rangefinder and with my gps on a par 5 I glance at it to see if I have the chance to get to the green in 2 or not. Closer to the pin I use the rangefinder to get the exact distance to the pin, and if I can't see the green very well I use that number with my front/middle/back on the watch to see if the pin is close to front or back to adjust accordingly. Also I use it on the range to verify the distances from my exakt spot as the flags/distance markers can differ quite much depending on what spot on the range I stand at.

I use a GPS watch (Garmin S60).

My distance control is far from perfect, so knowing the 'exact' distance to the pin isn't really going to help me that much.

I like being able to just glance at my wrist and get good enough info to choose my club and shot.  I can use the 'map' easily enough if i need to know more details, and it's great on unfamiliar courses too.

I used phone GPS apps initially, but was forever fiddling with my phone.

Have you looked at the Garmin Approach G80?  It is kinda pricey, but it has a GPS function for the course and is a personal launch monitor.  Also, I am a GPS guy.  I have had rangefinders and while they are a bit quicker to use I like having distances to different targets.  Most GPS units allow a "demo" mode that I like to use to check out a course before I play it for the first time.  Can also sometimes help me determine bag setup in terms of whether I should carry a 5 wood or extra wedge.

In my bag (for now):

Driver: :titelist-small: TS2 9.5 deg- HZRDUS Smoke 60G Stiff

3-wood: :titelist-small: TS3 15 deg- HZRDUS Smoke 70G Stiff

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H1 19 deg- Atmos HB Tour Spec- 85G

Irons: :callaway-small: Rogue Pro CF18 5iron - AW- True Temper XP105 Stiff

Wedge #1: :callaway-small: MD5 Jaws - 54-10S- Dynamic Gold 115

Wedge #2 :callaway-small: MD5 Jaws - 58.08C- Dynamic Gold 115

Putter: :odyssey-small: Triple Track Ten - 34.5 inch Stroke Lab

Bag: :callaway-small: 2020 Org 14

Ball: still being settled on, but most likely the Bridgestone B-X, also testing 2020 Chrome Soft and Titleist ProV1x (my go to for several years)

Will be able to test my rangefinder out friday because now I can golf!! woooooo

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

12 hours ago, LeftyHawk said:

I used a range finder for years and was comfortable with it on the course. A couple of years age I really got to wonder if I was missing out not switching to a GPS. I got one of those that showed you an over view of the hole, would zoom in on the green when with in a specific distance. I have also tried one of those little GPS units that give you front, middle and back of the green. I used them both for 1 season and left the range finder to home.

For me the GPS units were more of a hassle for me than the range finder. The small GPS giving me front, middle and back was just to general, especially on large greens. The one with the over view of the entire hole was giving me the same info I could get from my range finder, the only issue was connecting with the satellite at times when it was cloudy out.  Not to mention if you forget to charge it before going to the course, My rangefinder can go an entire season on one battery.

So I'm back to my range finder exclusively, I can shot a distance just as fast as someone looking at a GPS unit and feel more confidence when shooting at the pin knowing exactly the distance to the pin itself.

I also keep track of the yardage markers (200, 150, 100 and such) located on the course and really only pull out the range finder when going at the pin, even inside 100 yards. I know I can shoot a distance under 5 seconds, and feel confident in that reading. I would agree that at times there are those who feel it necessary to shoot the distance multiple times or shoot distances at multiple objects, that can be frustrating when trying to maintain a pace of play. For par 3's I don't step up on the tee box to shoot the distance, that takes too much time as far as I'm concerned, I shoot it from my bag either on the cart or from the pull cart these days. That gets me a distance I can work with.

Chris

I do think that part of the preference may have to do with what you first use on a course. As it becomes a part of your routine, switching to anything else can be a hassle, especially if it does not give you the same information you are used to receiving.

I've only ever used a GPS watch, and now, Arccos. I find that my routine with Arccos has become quick and doesn't hamper my golf routine. I do wish that I didn't have to carry my phone around though. For that reason alone, I've been thinking of trying a rangefinder.

15 minutes ago, palvord said:

I do think that part of the preference may have to do with what you first use on a course. As it becomes a part of your routine, switching to anything else can be a hassle, especially if it does not give you the same information you are used to receiving.

I've only ever used a GPS watch, and now, Arccos. I find that my routine with Arccos has become quick and doesn't hamper my golf routine. I do wish that I didn't have to carry my phone around though. For that reason alone, I've been thinking of trying a rangefinder.

I have some cobra irons on order with Arccos.  I have talked to several people that use Arccos through an Apple watch and say they don't have to carry their phone.  I plan to try that.

In my bag (for now):

Driver: :titelist-small: TS2 9.5 deg- HZRDUS Smoke 60G Stiff

3-wood: :titelist-small: TS3 15 deg- HZRDUS Smoke 70G Stiff

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H1 19 deg- Atmos HB Tour Spec- 85G

Irons: :callaway-small: Rogue Pro CF18 5iron - AW- True Temper XP105 Stiff

Wedge #1: :callaway-small: MD5 Jaws - 54-10S- Dynamic Gold 115

Wedge #2 :callaway-small: MD5 Jaws - 58.08C- Dynamic Gold 115

Putter: :odyssey-small: Triple Track Ten - 34.5 inch Stroke Lab

Bag: :callaway-small: 2020 Org 14

Ball: still being settled on, but most likely the Bridgestone B-X, also testing 2020 Chrome Soft and Titleist ProV1x (my go to for several years)

3 minutes ago, bwclark174 said:

I have some cobra irons on order with Arccos.  I have talked to several people that use Arccos through an Apple watch and say they don't have to carry their phone.  I plan to try that.

If I had an Apple watch, I would probably be using that and leaving the phone tucked away for sure.

I am perfectly happy with a rangefinder. I started making my own yardage books for courses I play often, or if I'm going there for a tournament. Google maps has an interactive tool so you can find distances that way and make notes.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

21 hours ago, palvord said:

I would like to have a range finder fro the driving range though. The GPS is useless there.

Unless you're fortunate enough to practice on a range with retail golf balls (Pro V1s, etc), then a range finder won't do you much good out on the driving range. The typical range ball flies no where near what a retail golf ball would fly when struck...distance or accuracy. The limited flight range balls, scuffed range balls, water-logged range balls, all of which don't fly the distance or travel the line a ball in your bag would travel. So for that, does it really matter if the flag out on the range is lasered at 143 but the sign says 150 and now you're frustrated that your 8 iron, that normally carries 152, is coming up short? For me, I'm not too concerned on distance at the range. 

I will say that after using a range finder for years, I prefer my GPS watch (Garmin S60). I remember listening to Tom Watson challenge regular golfers to hit towards the middle of the green and see what happens to their scores. Unless I'm out on a course with large greens (>35 yards deep), then I'll just look at the watch and add 7 for back pin or subtract 5 for a front pin. My GIR % has improved a decent amount for playing a bit more conservative instead of trying to get cute with yardages. One added benefit to the Garmin S60 is being able to move the pin position on my watch to get a more accurate reading if I'm playing well and hitting the approach shots I want. I also found it speeds up play if I have all the yardage info on my watch instead of trying to laser the front of the green or a bunker. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty
Unless you're fortunate enough to practice on a range with retail golf balls (Pro V1s, etc), then a range finder won't do you much good out on the driving range. The typical range ball flies no where near what a retail golf ball would fly when struck...distance or accuracy. The limited flight range balls, scuffed range balls, water-logged range balls, all of which don't fly the distance or travel the line a ball in your bag would travel. So for that, does it really matter if the flag out on the range is lasered at 143 but the sign says 150 and now you're frustrated that your 8 iron, that normally carries 152, is coming up short? For me, I'm not too concerned on distance at the range. 
I will say that after using a range finder for years, I prefer my GPS watch (Garmin S60). I remember listening to Tom Watson challenge regular golfers to hit towards the middle of the green and see what happens to their scores. Unless I'm out on a course with large greens (>35 yards deep), then I'll just look at the watch and add 7 for back pin or subtract 5 for a front pin. My GIR % has improved a decent amount for playing a bit more conservative instead of trying to get cute with yardages. One added benefit to the Garmin S60 is being able to move the pin position on my watch to get a more accurate reading if I'm playing well and hitting the approach shots I want. I also found it speeds up play if I have all the yardage info on my watch instead of trying to laser the front of the green or a bunker. 

Spot on with the range ball analysis here! Range is for tuning in adjeustments IMO less about distance.

I prefer a range finder myself. Started out using a golf buddy gps that was fine but I like being able to laser anything I want and not just front middle back. It doesn’t take more than 10-15 seconds and I play fast enough as it is!

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

I am a Laser Guy now but am thinking of going to GPS. Why because I kind of doubt I am good enough to benefit from grater accuracy of the laser

Knowing front and Back green yardage’s will be of more help.

WITB:

Driver:  Taylormade  SLDR Fujikura XLR8 61 S RH.   

3 Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 3W

Hybrid: Ping G400 3 Hyb 19 degree S

Irons: Titleist 710 AP1 5-PW Aerotek Steelfiber i110 cw S RH standard lie 

Wedges: 50 Callaway MD 4, 54 Vokey SM5, 58 Callaway Forged

Putters: Ping Grayhawk Putter

8 hours ago, txgolfjunkie said:

I've found that a lot of ranges don't post the distance to all of the targets out on the range. A lot have one measurement only and it is taken from the center of the range. In that instance I always use my range finder to find out how far away the targets really are. When you have 30 or 40 bays set up and you are near one of the ends, aiming at the target on the left side may add 30 yards to the distance on the card. 

Knowing that I'm hitting range balls, I can do the adjustment in my  head when I come up 5-10% short, but when a flag isn't directly out in front of you it can be very difficult to estimate how far away it is.

I am perfectly happy with a rangefinder. I started making my own yardage books for courses I play often, or if I'm going there for a tournament. Google maps has an interactive tool so you can find distances that way and make notes.

Take Dead Aim

That sounds intriguing, maybe a separate thread on how to do that with google maps?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I have both. In 2005 I got the Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 with slope. It was either that or the handheld sky caddie. I’m glad I went with the laser because technology changed every year with gps and the cost of the unit was part 1 and the subscription was part 2. The Bushnell changed a lot because I started really knowing exactly how far I was hitting it.

Fast forward to 2014 I got a Bushnell GeoX gps watch. Radio Shack was selling them and I got a $100 gift card for Christmas. Front middle and back with no annual subscription. You had to register it online so it would update courses. But it was light and worked pretty well. Only problem is they stopped the updates for it and now if I go to a new course or if a course changed its name it’s useless.

Low and behold my Bushnell stopped accurately shooting past 100 yards. I contacted Bushnell and they offered me 50% off a new rangefinder. I now use the Bushnell ProXE. That thing is awesome. Line of sight is still a problem but the buzzing, magnet, and red led are all major upgrades. 

Both have advantages and disadvantages. While the watch worked well when updated if I didn’t charge it enough or it didn’t recognize the course it was useless.
The rangefinder is tough to beat. The Bushnell is accurate and I can use it anytime and anywhere. 

Taylormade Woods

Cobra Hybrid

Hogan Irons
HiToe Wedges

Spider Putter

Snell MTBX golf balls 

I carry and use both. The course I play has 4 dog legs with trees that block out your view of the flag unless you hit the perfect shot so a laser is not really an option, however it also has 3-4 holes where the greens are well above the height of the fairway and cannot see where the flag is located on the green which is where a laser is perfect.

I am not one to buy the latest and greatest, I am happy as long as they do the job. Hence I bought a Laser ($109 AUD) which has Pin Lock and no slope ( many cheap lasers have slope and it cannot be turned off so they cannot be used even in amateur competition) and I use a app on my phone called mScorecard which has GPS but also a scorecard that calculates Stableford.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

Before I got my rangefinder I would religiously use a GPS on my cell phone. but over time I found that I would get more distracted by my cell phone then actually focusing on golf. And for that reason I bought a rangefinder and I'm super glad that I did. For me I feel like it gives more accurate distances and I can find the range for whatever I want instead of whatever the GPS unit allows me to.

I have gone a slightly different GPS route.  I bought a Garmin Vivoactive 3 that was on markdown because I wanted the watch to be useful for more than just golf.  That aside, all I get from it is distance to the pin.  Not a terrible thing if I'm at my usual course where I know where to go already.  Haven't tried it somewhere I'm not familiar with as of yet.  The only thing I dont like about the version of the Garmin Golf app that is available for a non pure GPS Garmin watch is that I dont get anything but distance to pin.  I can't see hazards.  However, I can do all of the scorecard tracking I want.  I can also move the flag around the green on my watch depending on where it is on the green, but since my local course doesn't believe in setting all pins to the same general area for 18 holes, this becomes situationally useless at times.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

On 4/28/2020 at 9:36 AM, eschultz406 said:

Looks like I'll be the outlier here, I've only used a GPS once and the rest of the time I'm on a rangefinder.  Using the rangefinder has become a part of my preshot routine, so there's honestly a meditative quality to it.  With the GPS what I found was that if the system is not updated regularly, as when a course goes through a rehab, you can run into more problems than what it's worth.  I'd go with the rangefinder any day.  That said, I was looking into the Garmin Approach G80 as a launch monitor / GPS system, but ultimately went with a swing caddie as it was over $200 cheaper and I didn't know how much I'd really use the GPS system.  

I had the Garmin Z80 best for both worlds. A LRF with a GPS overlayed it inside the eyepiece. 

I got both readouts with one view.  Coupke logistical downsides to the Garmin.  It often goes to sleep and takes a bit to wake up.  

It's works off a charge vs battery so you have to keep an eye on the charging level. 

Over the winter I picked up a SX500 and so far really like all it has to offer.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

On 4/28/2020 at 12:26 PM, eschultz406 said:

I am right there with you about seeing someone pull out a range finder from less than 50! Thank you for the feedback!

I'm was (am) one of those guys.  But I'm still dialing in my game - especially within 100 yards. I haven't played much the last 8 years due to kids/work but am now getting back into it.  I've gone from a 28 index to a 15 in the past 18 months due in large part to the short game.  New Irons helped as well. As I've gotten used to the feel again I do pull the range finder out less within 50, but it will still happen depending on the situation and pin location.  If you are worried about pace of play, you should love to see my pull out the range finder and get a quick understanding. It saves a lot of time over finding a ball past the green or trying to get it out of the sand and all those extra shots!

But to the point of the thread:  I have the Pro XE and it is absolutely great. I play a hilly course so like others have stated sometimes a GPS would be better, but I find those clumsy when watching others use them.  The magnet on the XE makes it easy and fast to use while riding, and while walking it is not much slower.  The resolution of the XE is a big benefit - so much better than others I have looked through. I will sometimes use it to find my ball while waiting for others to hit or when I crest a blind hill and it's not where I expected it to be.

One consideration with the elements portion of the slope setting for the XE for those that play at altitude: since elevation and temp is factored into the slope, when you turn on that setting it can throw off your partners if you give them a slope reading that they are not used to.  But It's great if you go from FL to play a round in CO.

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5; Aldila Rouge White 130 MSI 60S

:titelist-small: TS2 15 Deg; Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 70g 

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19 deg; Atmos HB TS 8S

:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-gap; C-Taper lite 110S

:vokey-small: SM 8 56 08M and 60 12D

:Snell: MTB Black

Costco KS1

Bushnell Pro XE

I have a Sky Caddie Touch and a Busnell Tour4.  The SkyCaddie is really handy when I am playing cart path only so I know which clubs to carry onto the course.  Having the range finder is really nice on a new course of if the green view is obscured as I can quickly figure out the pin position in relation to the front and back.  I was given the SkyCaddie and originally thought it was overkill, but I really like having it on new courses.  It is nice for blind carries and cutting dog legs.   Plus it helps when a battery dies...LOL.

:ping-small:       Driver:  G410 LST 9 +1 Flat w/Tour AD DI 6X Orange

:taylormade-small:  3 Metal:   M2 13 degree w/Tour AD DJ 7X Orange

:titelist-small:          Hybrid:  818 21 

:mizuno-small:        4-PW:  MP 20  w/Dynamic Gold X100

:mizuno-small:        Wedges: 50-54-58: Mizuno MP T20 w/DG S400

:whitlam-golf-1:    Putter:  Joseph SS303 w/Super Stroke Fatso 5.0

:Snell:  Ball:  MTB Black

:1590477705_SunMountain: C130 S    🇺🇸    :skycaddie:

I use both as well. I have an older GPS watch that I leave attached to my bag and can use for quick yardages like lay up distances, par 4 yardages, etc., and a range finder that I use for shooting pins and specific landmarks like trees, bunkers, etc..  I think it saves me time this way and I like having access to the information. 

I use both.  It takes very little time to glance up at my GPS to give me the basics, front-middle-back of a green.  If I am on a course that I do not know or a course with very large greens, then I will use my Range Finder to hit the flag. So, I see where both are useful so I carry both.  Kind of like a police officer carrying a hand gun and a stun gun. Depends on the situation.  

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"