TESTERS WANTED! ×

Range Finder vs. GPS

Using a rangefinder the last couple of weeks playing golf has made the game so much easier. I just point and click and immediately get a yardage. It makes choosing a club so much easier as I know the one in my hand is the right one with the distance.

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

I have always used a rangefinder when comparing to a GPS. When I’m about to hit into the green, I’ll hit the flag and the go off feel on whether I should attack the flag or be cautious based off the pin location. Knowing exactly the front and back of the green gets in my head and makes me second guess my selection of clubs. That’s just me though, I have 3 of my buddies I play with regularly that use GPS. They like to pinpoint exactly where they want to hit the bal. I just try to see the number and then hit the number (obviously, that doesn’t always work out). 

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

I use a rangefinder most of the time. If playing a course I'm not as familiar with I'll use app called skydroid. Even then I'll use rangefinder to confirm things if I can.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I use both. I have Golfshot GPS that helps me plan the hole by giving me options to hit the fat part of the fairway and know what I will be leaving myself into the green. I like to leave a full club in rather than deal with partial shots. Then I switch to the rangefinder to zero in on the pin for my second/third shot.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB:
pxg-small.jpg 0811 Prototype Driver: (10.5 / s-flex)
image.png.cb4b01bb138fdc7ddf4f5e9396a76d82.png   Sub 70 Pro Tour Fairway 3W (15 / s-flex)
pxg-small.jpg 0341 Prototype, 5W (18, s-flex)
pxg-small.jpg 0311, 4-PW, (+1/2" / +2 up) ProjX LZ 6.0
pxg-small.jpg 0311 wedges, 52, 56, 60 degree
TommyArmour.jpg.d3c9da7d74a401e95b625f92af834200.jpg Impact No.3, Putter 35"

Dexterity: Right-handed

I've never used a range finder.  I use a GPS app on my phone, or even go old school and pace of the distance from the yardage marker.  Not sure whether I would like a range finder or not.

Cobra Speedzone 9.0*, Graphite Design Tour AD-MT 6x shaft

Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour 14.5* 3 wood, Graphite Design Tour AD-GT 7x shaft

Titleist TS2 19* hybrid, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95x Hybrid shaft

Mizuno MP20 HMB 3 iron, KBS $-Taper 120 shaft

Srixon Z565 4 iron, Srizon Z765 5 iron - PW,KBS C-Taper 120 shaft

Callaway MD5 Jaws 50*/10 S grind

Callaway Jaws Full Toe 56*

Scotty Cameron Futura 5w

Srixon Z-Star XV balls

I think both have their place although I only use a GPS.  I have a small GPS (Bushnell Phantom) that I use on the cart which also can link to my phone.  I basically just use the front, center, back numbers and if I need a specific target I'll use my phone for a layup or cover number.  The only time I really feel like I need a range finder is when I'm at the practice range and not sure how far away the targets are.  

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :callaway-small:                    

PXG 0211 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik 21* 7W
Taylormade RSi1 5 Iron
Taylormade RSi2 6-PW
Taylormade PSI 50*
Callaway Jaws 54* C Grind
Wilson Staff Infinite Southside
Maxfli Tour

I use the arccos caddie app which is great to give me the options of the clubs I should used for my next shot and I love it think its great, but I feel like the range finder is so much more accurate when you can locate the flag. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Had a Garmen Approach for many years and was pretty happy with it - best Christmas present my wife ever got me.  Unfortunately it gave up the ghost and was beyond the fix dates for Garmen.  Garmen offered a small discount on the newest high-end models so I thought it would bea good time to check things out.  I ended up going with a NXP Pro laser rangefinder.  I never really used a bushnell or leopold so I don't really know the optics and target finding differences but I would say it is very easy to use and finds pins even when a bit shaky so you can do it pretty quickly. It works a bit quicker when the flags have those reflector things but still finds 'em without.  You do need line of sight which was the Garmen''s big advantage. However you just have to pick the closest line of sight as you are walking to the ball and if you still can't see the flag you don't really have a shot anyway so just punch out.  Overall I think the Garmen was a bit easier to use - just a quick glance gave you most of what you need.  you can drag/slide the pin to approximate real pin positions. However in that time I could have read the pin many times over with the NXP Pro.  Garmen did a better job with distances to open landing areas or distance to the corner on a dogleg, and getting distances to the front of hazards (water, trap) for layups or to see if that water is really in play or not. That is tough with the NXP.  You can get the carries reasonably well with NXP (provided you can clearly see the far bank) but sometimes you just gotta layup and it's nice to know the max.  The NXP gives slope (switchable mode), and maybe the new Garmen's do as well, but quite honestly I don't need a range finder to tell me if it is up hill or down.  There is something nice about seeing the whole hole overview that the Garmen gives. From an accuracy standpoint I think the laser is better (and I am always within a +-yard of any other partner's laser) which give you confidence but in general I am not playing to half yards so that is not a super big deal.  

I don't know if all that is helpful.  Overall I was pretty happy before and I am pretty happy now. 

However if one of those could accurately read the line for my putt....

Jim

Golfer in Summer, Curler in Winter

TM  Stealth  Ventus shaft

Callaway Epic Flash 5 adjusted to 4.

TM SIM 7 wood

TM M1 3 hybrid adjusted to 4

Callaway Apex 4 - P

Vokey 52, 56, 60

Odyssey 2 Ball with Black Line

I will mostly use a Laser range finder for my green approach shot decisions. However, I bought the GolfLogix app for my phone to give me overviews of holes I am not familiar with or if there is a shot with an obstruction that makes the range finder hard to use. My issue with using a GPS unit has to do with accuracy of pin placement on approach shots. For a Sand trap that doesn't move, I trust the info, but if I need to place the pin location by hand I can be off by several yards when guessing where the pin is from the fairway (hopefully) and end up leaving myself a more difficult shot than necessary had I had the correct yardage. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

I've been using a free app on the phone that basically gives yardage to the middle of the green. That would normally be sufficient for me, especially with some other landmarks around. However, I recently won a gift card to PGA Superstore, and considering I just refreshed all of my clubs, I couldn't think of anything to buy except for a rangefinder. I must say that I quite enjoy having it. I didn't realize how useful it would from the teebox. Knowing the distance to carry fairway bunkers, or the distance to a tree to try to cut the corner on a dogleg. Even used it on people a few times to see if it was safe to hit. On par 3s, the slope feature is particularly useful, especially since I play some courses that have dramatic elevation changes and your not sure if its a 6 iron or an 8 iron hole. And as mentioned, its great to have on the range. My home course has a nice driving range, but the yards are all measured from the sidewalk near the hitting area, and of course they move the hitting area up and down a good 50 yards or so to keep the grass fresh. So the flag marked at 150 could easily be 100. Knowing exactly what distances the flags are really lets me dial in my distances. Especially since I just got new clubs. I dont think its a must have, but it is a nice luxury item. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!
I've been using a free app on the phone that basically gives yardage to the middle of the green. That would normally be sufficient for me, especially with some other landmarks around. However, I recently won a gift card to PGA Superstore, and considering I just refreshed all of my clubs, I couldn't think of anything to buy except for a rangefinder. I must say that I quite enjoy having it. I didn't realize how useful it would from the teebox. Knowing the distance to carry fairway bunkers, or the distance to a tree to try to cut the corner on a dogleg. Even used it on people a few times to see if it was safe to hit. On par 3s, the slope feature is particularly useful, especially since I play some courses that have dramatic elevation changes and your not sure if its a 6 iron or an 8 iron hole. And as mentioned, its great to have on the range. My home course has a nice driving range, but the yards are all measured from the sidewalk near the hitting area, and of course they move the hitting area up and down a good 50 yards or so to keep the grass fresh. So the flag marked at 150 could easily be 100. Knowing exactly what distances the flags are really lets me dial in my distances. Especially since I just got new clubs. I dont think its a must have, but it is a nice luxury item. 

Glad your happy with it. I always compare golf accessories like a range finder to air conditioning: you got along fine before you got it but once you get it you can't live without it

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Range finders are fine on an open course, but if you have doglegs or are blocked by trees and the green is not available visually they don't work. The GPS units are not accurate to the yard on the green but I find them accurate enough for the average golfer. If it is a few yards off most golfers don't hit the exact yardage anyway. even when I was playing to a mid single digit handicap I could not hit the exact yardage I wanted most of the time. Even the pros when they have a yardage don't hit it stiff every time. That being said, if you want a RF or a GPS find out what all the pros and cons are before you buy either one. There are a lot of reviews out there about what the good and bad is about each type of equipment. I like the GPS because it gives me the general yardage I need immediately. 

I like the rangefinder. It is very useful when laying up on par 5s and playing strategically to your numbers for approach shots. If you have your yardages dialed in, it is nice to know the exact numbers that you're playing to, especially when you get close to the green.

:callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero, 9.5*, VA Nemesys 75, Golfpride MCC Align Midsize

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max Fairway Wood, 15*, Stock shaft, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:titelist-small: Titleist U500 21*, Hzrdus Smoke Stiff, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:benhogan-small: 2020 Ben Hogan Icon Irons 8-PW, Project X LZ, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:benhogan-small: 2020 Ben Hogan PTxPro Irons 4-7, Project X LZ, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:titelist-small: Vokey SM8 50*, 54*, 60*, Stock vokey shaft, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:cameron-small: Scotty Cameron California Mid-Mallet

12 minutes ago, Letthebigdogshunt said:

Range finders are fine on an open course, but if you have doglegs or are blocked by trees and the green is not available visually they don't work. The GPS units are not accurate to the yard on the green but I find them accurate enough for the average golfer. If it is a few yards off most golfers don't hit the exact yardage anyway. even when I was playing to a mid single digit handicap I could not hit the exact yardage I wanted most of the time. Even the pros when they have a yardage don't hit it stiff every time. That being said, if you want a RF or a GPS find out what all the pros and cons are before you buy either one. There are a lot of reviews out there about what the good and bad is about each type of equipment. I like the GPS because it gives me the general yardage I need immediately. 

This is also a good point. I think there are definitely advantages to both an kinda depends on the course you are playing. 

:callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero, 9.5*, VA Nemesys 75, Golfpride MCC Align Midsize

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max Fairway Wood, 15*, Stock shaft, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:titelist-small: Titleist U500 21*, Hzrdus Smoke Stiff, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:benhogan-small: 2020 Ben Hogan Icon Irons 8-PW, Project X LZ, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:benhogan-small: 2020 Ben Hogan PTxPro Irons 4-7, Project X LZ, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:titelist-small: Vokey SM8 50*, 54*, 60*, Stock vokey shaft, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:cameron-small: Scotty Cameron California Mid-Mallet

I've used GPS for years, to me a rangefinder is a nice to have, but not necessary. Rangefinders don't work without line of sight, GPS always works. Rangefinders take longer to get a reading IMO with other players using them. Rangefinders may/not give you a distance for hazards or doglegs, a GPS always will. If money was no object I'd have both, but I prefer GPS.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys
4 hours ago, Letthebigdogshunt said:

I disagree. I like having the exact number to the pin even if i'm not going to hit to that exact number it gives me confidence to go after it vs having to guess. Also when you're playing on a course with large greens the difference between the middle and the back pin locations can be a full club length. For Dog legs I use the arccos app on my phone to calculate the distance and get a recommendation of what to hit.

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 10.5, Motore X F1 60 X-Stiff

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 14, Motore X F1 60 Stiff

:taylormade-small: M6, 4H 22.0

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro, 4-PW, Nippon Modus 105

:taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60, SB - Black

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #7

Vice Golf Pro Plus

:Arccos: Smart Sensors

22 hours ago, PowerFadetoaslice said:

I disagree. I like having the exact number to the pin even if i'm not going to hit to that exact number it gives me confidence to go after it vs having to guess. Also when you're playing on a course with large greens the difference between the middle and the back pin locations can be a full club length. For Dog legs I use the arccos app on my phone to calculate the distance and get a recommendation of what to hit.

That is why everyone has an opinion they get to agree or disagree. If you need exact yardage then you have the  correct device. Have you ever thought about one of the hybrid range finders that have both GPS and RF? 

Edited by Letthebigdogshunt
23 hours ago, PowerFadetoaslice said:

GPS gives you front, middle and back yardages - so it's easy to judge what distance to play for unless you can't see the pin. I can't remember the last course I played where I could not see the pin on approach - tee yes, approach no. And many of the greens I play have a two or more club length distance front to back, one club length would be very unusual IME. I can't remember the last approach I hit around a dogleg...tough course you're playing.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Been a user of rangefinder. it's pretty accurate unless of course you have aimed in the wrong spot.

If it does give readings which your hunch thinks it's weird and incorrect, re-set and re-focus. 

Out of focus or when cross hair hits other than your main target, will give you a questionable readings.

Haven't used GPS so I can not comment on this.

• 2 months later...

The S62 got me to move away from Rangefinder and phone setup, I found everything was getting a little clunky with my routines

Check phone app for yardage off the tee, click track club, get to ball, choose what I hit, check yardage on phone to bunkers, front middle and back, pull out range finder, see yardage to the pin (Which then auto puts me in hit it at the pin mode) hit shot, chip and putt, put scores in on my phone, repeat. 

The watch has allowed me to trust the process and not go pinseeking, I am habitually looking at bunker yardages at a glance and front middle back easily. If its a big green I will move the pin. My distance control is good enough to need yardages, but I haven't felt myself missing a rangefinder. 

I then input club selection at the end of the round or at home. 

No phone, 30 second routine at most and the benefits of a smartwatch! 

WITB 2020 

:titelist-small: TS3 9.5 Degree - Tensei White 70X

:titelist-small: TS3 18 Degree - Tensei White 80X

:mizuno-small: MP18 MMC Fli Hi 20 Degree - Project X Hzrdus 6.5 

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour - 4 - PW - X100 

:titelist-small: SM8 RAW 52, 56, 60 - S400 

:scotty-small: Special Select Newport 2.5 

:titelist-small: ProV1x Ball 

• 3 months later...

Initially this year I started with just using a range finder. Worked fine. I then started using google earth and the grint to look at GPS and course layout. I became enamored with using GPS. I plotted holes and had strategy going in to lost round. Sounds great, right?? It became a downfall of my game, it was frustrating knowing all the details of a course and not being able to take full advantage. Golf was becoming less enjoyable. Got rid of the GPS. Stuck to the trust range finder, playing courses and shots as I could view the directly. Scores were positively impacted as well. I know my story isn’t typical but I’m sure their are a few people in the same position I was

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

Hello everyone! Does anyone have experience using Nikon Coolshot 40i? I am new to this and I had no idea that you can even use something like this. Anyway, I read that 40i is easy to use. Thanks for your help!

I had an older Coolshot that I really liked and bought another one for my traveling bag. However, when I bought it I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the model designation and ordered the one without pinseeker technology. Don't make that mistake, the pinseeker is critical especially if you have lots of trees around the green.

As to my preferred laser that I keep in my golf cart, it's the PrecisionPro NX9 Slope. It has not only the pin seeker but also a slope feature. Just saw an ad on line $220.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I currently have the shot scope v3 and love it.  My wife bought me a ranger finder for my birthday, I used it one and returned it.  There are very few times when I want to know the distance to an o.b. area.  The shot scope will highlight water and bunkers, and I value convenience.  

I can appreciate the value of a range finder but think a GPS is more convenient for a ready golf play style.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik Max 9° neutral weight setting - Shaft: Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60S, length 44.75"

Wood:  :cobra-small: Cobra King SZ 3 wood 13° - Shaft: (Stock) Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: Cobra King SZ 19°-21° - Shaft: (Stock) UST Recoil 480 ESX F4

Irons: :cobra-small: 5-PW Cobra King SZ - Shaft: Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 105

Wedges: :vokey-small: Titleist Vokey SM8 54°, 58° - Shaft: (Stock) Wedge Flex

Putter:  :scotty-small: Scotty Cameron X12, length 34"

:Clicgear: Rovic RV1S

I have a Bushnell V4 range finder without slope and love it.  Also use Arccos for statistics, club tracking.  The caddie feature on Arccos is a benefit when playing an unfamiliar course for the first time. Used to use Golflogix phone app for GPS and Shot tracking but it was cumbersome.  Have found inconsistencies with most GPS systems and course maps due to course renovations, etc.  Range finder is quicker and easier.  The benefit of GPS is when clubbing for a shot based on the middle or back yardage of a green since most amateurs’ misses are short. 

Tour Edge C723 8.0 MCA Tensei AV Blue Xlink 65S

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Tour Edge E723 21 degree MCA Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid Fujikura Fuel 85g Stiff

Corey Paul - 5-PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos

Bushnell V4

• 1 year later...
On 5/17/2020 at 8:07 PM, chadwzimm said:

I've never used a range finder.  I use a GPS app on my phone, or even go old school and pace of the distance from the yardage marker.  Not sure whether I would like a range finder or not.

Update:  I bought a rangefinder and can't imagine playing without it anymore.  Use my phone GPS off the tee to pick a club/line, but then use my range finder for approach shots.

Cobra Speedzone 9.0*, Graphite Design Tour AD-MT 6x shaft

Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour 14.5* 3 wood, Graphite Design Tour AD-GT 7x shaft

Titleist TS2 19* hybrid, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95x Hybrid shaft

Mizuno MP20 HMB 3 iron, KBS $-Taper 120 shaft

Srixon Z565 4 iron, Srizon Z765 5 iron - PW,KBS C-Taper 120 shaft

Callaway MD5 Jaws 50*/10 S grind

Callaway Jaws Full Toe 56*

Scotty Cameron Futura 5w

Srixon Z-Star XV balls

I have and use both.  I use the GPS to determine carry distances off the tee, layup yardages and to identify hazards that my not be visible while standing on the tee or fairway. I also play very quickly so I will usually use the GPS to get a general yardage to the pin, or a carry number if the pin is tucked somewhere that requires an understanding of yardage depth. The rangefinder is used for shots under 140. That's where I am expected to knock it close and want a more precise yardage.

For me, it makes no difference knowing if the shot is 185 or 190 so the general yardage from the GPS is just fine. 

ping.png.7c5862342023c35b77c4616604806e90.png - Driver: 425LST w / KBS TD60 X-Stiff

callaway-golf-logo-4603BD0EB6-seeklogo_com.png.95cd038f8e27b84c978a567dbe7027d3.png- 3-Wood: Callaway Rogue

Screenshot2024-03-24at9_19_26PM.png.0e838ce6cbc9de2df6485dcfda986883.png - Mkii ZX5 irons - 5-pw True Temper Dynamic Golf Tour Issue

596048109_ScreenShot2021-02-28at3_28_30PM.png.6dfa8b67ed327055667700b4ef19afd1.png - Hybrid - 939X: with Proforce V2 Stiff

1884238425_Titleistlogo.png.90c97c2fbcb19171e8ef7dc60bee0fc4.png - SM7 50* & 56*

Screenshot2024-03-24at9_26_28PM.png.6ca0d107c42a18066bd1852fc547613b.png - ER10 Mallet

vicegolf_logo.png.26dae2f1802c046450d6ce62d44baf39.png - Pro Plus

I use laser range finder almost exclusively.  I will resort to GPS (phone) when the flag is obscured.  I will also use GPS when I’m laying up.  

• 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Max LS 11.5° (10.5°+1) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6 stiff
  • 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Flash 3 Wood 17° (15°+2) w/ Project X Even Flow Green 60 stiff
  • 943183396_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.391f8ed5e36869c949eb3a241d2a750d.jpgSuper Hybrid 21° (20°+1) w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 80 stiff
  • 518011180_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.f52e8c7ce28e9a854c65b04b28450163.jpgRogue Hybrid 5 (24°) w/ Aldila Synergy 60 HYB Graphite stiff
  •   Screenshot 2021-12-24 002411.jpg2021 P790 Irons 5-AW (1° flat, weakened lofts) w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95 cw regular
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgCBX2 Wedges 54°, 58° w/ True Temper DG 115 Wedge flex
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgOdyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab, 33 in
  • 1360869533_Screenshot2021-12-24002835.jpg.38d6fb8915a5bd0b37b4bbec950f4c64.jpgPro V1
  • bushnell_launchpro_logos_medium.jpg.7df9dcd404a46928e3850d1e1335e4e3.jpgBushnell Launch Pro

I use a Garmin GPS watch and my wife uses a Bushnell range finder.  She gives me exact yardage on par 3's, but I still like to know yardage to cover the front of the green and what yardage is going off the back.

This week while playing, my wife's laser battery died on the first hole and she had given her backup battery to a friend a month ago and didn't replace it.  I always make sure my GPS battery is charged enough for a round; I can get 4-5 rounds on it before charging.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”