Range Finder vs. GPS

Our Sponsors

I've been using a free app on the phone that basically gives yardage to the middle of the green. That would normally be sufficient for me, especially with some other landmarks around. However, I recently won a gift card to PGA Superstore, and considering I just refreshed all of my clubs, I couldn't think of anything to buy except for a rangefinder. I must say that I quite enjoy having it. I didn't realize how useful it would from the teebox. Knowing the distance to carry fairway bunkers, or the distance to a tree to try to cut the corner on a dogleg. Even used it on people a few times to see if it was safe to hit. On par 3s, the slope feature is particularly useful, especially since I play some courses that have dramatic elevation changes and your not sure if its a 6 iron or an 8 iron hole. And as mentioned, its great to have on the range. My home course has a nice driving range, but the yards are all measured from the sidewalk near the hitting area, and of course they move the hitting area up and down a good 50 yards or so to keep the grass fresh. So the flag marked at 150 could easily be 100. Knowing exactly what distances the flags are really lets me dial in my distances. Especially since I just got new clubs. I dont think its a must have, but it is a nice luxury item. 

Glad your happy with it. I always compare golf accessories like a range finder to air conditioning: you got along fine before you got it but once you get it you can't live without it

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra F Max 5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unless you're fortunate enough to practice on a range with retail golf balls (Pro V1s, etc), then a range finder won't do you much good out on the driving range. The typical range ball flies no where

I use both a range finder and gps in my samsung watch (via arccos). I think they compliment each other nicely. I can shoot the distance to the pin or hazard with the rangefinder and with my gps on a p

Will be able to test my rangefinder out friday because now I can golf!! woooooo

Range finders are fine on an open course, but if you have doglegs or are blocked by trees and the green is not available visually they don't work. The GPS units are not accurate to the yard on the green but I find them accurate enough for the average golfer. If it is a few yards off most golfers don't hit the exact yardage anyway. even when I was playing to a mid single digit handicap I could not hit the exact yardage I wanted most of the time. Even the pros when they have a yardage don't hit it stiff every time. That being said, if you want a RF or a GPS find out what all the pros and cons are before you buy either one. There are a lot of reviews out there about what the good and bad is about each type of equipment. I like the GPS because it gives me the general yardage I need immediately. 

• Like 1

I like the rangefinder. It is very useful when laying up on par 5s and playing strategically to your numbers for approach shots. If you have your yardages dialed in, it is nice to know the exact numbers that you're playing to, especially when you get close to the green.

:callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero, 9.5*, VA Nemesys 75, Golfpride MCC Align Midsize

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max Fairway Wood, 15*, Stock shaft, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:titelist-small: Titleist U500 21*, Hzrdus Smoke Stiff, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:benhogan-small: 2020 Ben Hogan Icon Irons 8-PW, Project X LZ, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:benhogan-small: 2020 Ben Hogan PTxPro Irons 4-7, Project X LZ, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:titelist-small: Vokey SM8 50*, 54*, 60*, Stock vokey shaft, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:cameron-small: Scotty Cameron California Mid-Mallet

12 minutes ago, Letthebigdogshunt said:

Range finders are fine on an open course, but if you have doglegs or are blocked by trees and the green is not available visually they don't work. The GPS units are not accurate to the yard on the green but I find them accurate enough for the average golfer. If it is a few yards off most golfers don't hit the exact yardage anyway. even when I was playing to a mid single digit handicap I could not hit the exact yardage I wanted most of the time. Even the pros when they have a yardage don't hit it stiff every time. That being said, if you want a RF or a GPS find out what all the pros and cons are before you buy either one. There are a lot of reviews out there about what the good and bad is about each type of equipment. I like the GPS because it gives me the general yardage I need immediately. 

This is also a good point. I think there are definitely advantages to both an kinda depends on the course you are playing. 

:callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero, 9.5*, VA Nemesys 75, Golfpride MCC Align Midsize

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max Fairway Wood, 15*, Stock shaft, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:titelist-small: Titleist U500 21*, Hzrdus Smoke Stiff, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:benhogan-small: 2020 Ben Hogan Icon Irons 8-PW, Project X LZ, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:benhogan-small: 2020 Ben Hogan PTxPro Irons 4-7, Project X LZ, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:titelist-small: Vokey SM8 50*, 54*, 60*, Stock vokey shaft, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:cameron-small: Scotty Cameron California Mid-Mallet

I've used GPS for years, to me a rangefinder is a nice to have, but not necessary. Rangefinders don't work without line of sight, GPS always works. Rangefinders take longer to get a reading IMO with other players using them. Rangefinders may/not give you a distance for hazards or doglegs, a GPS always will. If money was no object I'd have both, but I prefer GPS.

• Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° 9.5°D & 3W
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • and 14th club - Mizuno CLK 3H 19° OR MP-20 HMB 3i 19°
  • Snell MTB-X (replaced Black)
4 hours ago, Letthebigdogshunt said:

I disagree. I like having the exact number to the pin even if i'm not going to hit to that exact number it gives me confidence to go after it vs having to guess. Also when you're playing on a course with large greens the difference between the middle and the back pin locations can be a full club length. For Dog legs I use the arccos app on my phone to calculate the distance and get a recommendation of what to hit.

:taylormade-small: M6, 9.0, Tensei CK Orange 60, Stiff

:taylormade-small: M6, Rocket 13.0, Atmos Red 60, Stiff

:taylormade-small: RocketBallz, 4H 22.0

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Tour, 4-PW, True Temper Dynamic gold S300

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 4, 52.0, 56.0, 60.0 - S grind

:taylormade-small: Spider Mini

:bridgestone-small: Tour-RX

:Arccos: Smart Sensors

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, PowerFadetoaslice said:

I disagree. I like having the exact number to the pin even if i'm not going to hit to that exact number it gives me confidence to go after it vs having to guess. Also when you're playing on a course with large greens the difference between the middle and the back pin locations can be a full club length. For Dog legs I use the arccos app on my phone to calculate the distance and get a recommendation of what to hit.

That is why everyone has an opinion they get to agree or disagree. If you need exact yardage then you have the  correct device. Have you ever thought about one of the hybrid range finders that have both GPS and RF? 

Edited by Letthebigdogshunt
23 hours ago, PowerFadetoaslice said:

GPS gives you front, middle and back yardages - so it's easy to judge what distance to play for unless you can't see the pin. I can't remember the last course I played where I could not see the pin on approach - tee yes, approach no. And many of the greens I play have a two or more club length distance front to back, one club length would be very unusual IME. I can't remember the last approach I hit around a dogleg...tough course you're playing.

• Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° 9.5°D & 3W
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • and 14th club - Mizuno CLK 3H 19° OR MP-20 HMB 3i 19°
  • Snell MTB-X (replaced Black)

Been a user of rangefinder. it's pretty accurate unless of course you have aimed in the wrong spot.

If it does give readings which your hunch thinks it's weird and incorrect, re-set and re-focus. 

Out of focus or when cross hair hits other than your main target, will give you a questionable readings.

Haven't used GPS so I can not comment on this.

• 2 months later...

The S62 got me to move away from Rangefinder and phone setup, I found everything was getting a little clunky with my routines

Check phone app for yardage off the tee, click track club, get to ball, choose what I hit, check yardage on phone to bunkers, front middle and back, pull out range finder, see yardage to the pin (Which then auto puts me in hit it at the pin mode) hit shot, chip and putt, put scores in on my phone, repeat. 

The watch has allowed me to trust the process and not go pinseeking, I am habitually looking at bunker yardages at a glance and front middle back easily. If its a big green I will move the pin. My distance control is good enough to need yardages, but I haven't felt myself missing a rangefinder. 

I then input club selection at the end of the round or at home. 

No phone, 30 second routine at most and the benefits of a smartwatch! 

WITB 2020 

:titelist-small: TS3 9.5 Degree - Tensei White 70X

:titelist-small: TS3 18 Degree - Tensei White 80X

:mizuno-small: MP18 MMC Fli Hi 20 Degree - Project X Hzrdus 6.5 

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour - 4 - PW - X100 

:titelist-small: SM8 RAW 52, 56, 60 - S400 

:scotty-small: Special Select Newport 2.5 

:titelist-small: ProV1x Ball