Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Playing with better golfers

tony@CIC

You're 100% right. Happens all the time. You're supposed to play the course, but you get into a groove and start just kinda going around with the buds. Then improvement stops and the groove becomes a rut. The cure is a game with better players. At least to shake it up.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I’ve played with a number of mini tour guys this year. It’s been a blast. They are playing from the tips, I from my regular tees. When I’ve had them at my home course that means they are playing a course they aren’t so familiar with from 7200 yards, course rating of 75, slope 144 while I’m at 6,100 71.7, 131. I’ve beaten them a couple of them under that scenario.

To put it in perspective my handicap would go from 5 on my tees to 10 on theirs according to the USGA app and I know the course like the back of my hand.

I played with one of the guys last Saturday on his course. He from the tips me from up a set - 6700 73.7 138 for him. 71.7, 130 for me. It’s my buddy’s course so I play there a lot but these guys play there every day. He also had a year on the web.com and is coming back from a serious injury.

His 63 blew my 75 out of the water. He followed that 63 up with another one the next day. He’s anxious for golf to be back. He’s going to try and make a go of it on the Hooters tour this year. Trying to make his way back.

I’ve learned a lot about the short game from him. That and playing angles.

It’s fun.

My handicap is low enough that I get to play with a lot of very good players.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

2 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

The majority of the guys in our group play from the bronze tees (5700 yds slope rating 123) and average handicap is around 22. Recently a few guys decided to join our group that are low to mid teens. The first time I joined them they told me while they were playing from the whites (6100 yds slope rating 131), and I could play from the bronze if I wanted. I decided to play from the whites with them and ended up playing well In fact I probably played better with them than with my regular group. And I had more fun

Sounds weird, but I think playing with guys my handicap or worse is making me a bit complacent. Any else have the same reaction/result?

BTW an added benefit is I pick up 3 strokes on the course handicap.

It's definitely not weird.  Any golfer will benefit from playing with better players.  It pulls you out of your comfort zone, and you tend to focus better than playing with your usual buds.  You get to watch how better players play the course and certain shots.  Your brain is taking all this in and wants you to play better too.

I've been on both ends of this phenomenon.  When I first took up golf, I played in the men's gangsome (teams of 4 players with an A, B, C, and D player; A was either a pro or a scratch... I was the D 🙄).  I was waaaay out of my league, but it was an excellent learning experience and I improved from a 28 to a 16 with no other instruction.

When I moved to a different course, I played with fairly new players and players that have been 20+ handicaps for years.  I enjoyed the people but it dragged my game down to nearly their level.  I searched out some better players and while I still occasionally played with the "old guys", I enjoyed playing with single digit players.  Now that I am one of the "old guys" and after many lessons to get better, I don't really care who I play with and tend to just focus on the course; not the players.  Some days it's GOLF... some days it's FLOG.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Totally normal. I play my best golf with certain people. My cousin who’s close to scratch and @B.Boston I play my best golf and others that are single digit handicappers. It’s not necessarily high handicaps that have me playing worse but certain people.

example a group of my friends are just not good golfers, they go out to drink and lose golf balls lol. I play terribly with them typically shooting in the low 90s which is awful for me. I think it’s because I’m worried about A) pace of play and B) because they can get pretty rowdy on the course which is usually fun and a good change of pace but when you’re on a nice course where that isn’t really accepted you get in your head and start worrying about other things besides what you need to do to make a certain shot or reading a putt correctly.

i go out knowing I am probably not going to play all that well with them.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I definitely think playing with better players makes you shoot better. For me, it's motivation - I see what those golfers do to prepare on their shots and how they approach different situations, and I want to learn from that to get better. Some guys, as noted above, just want to advance the ball somewhere close to the green while drinking beers and complaining about their wives. 

I honestly think that's a natural reaction. I know when I've jammed with other musicians who are way better than me, I up my listening and my concentration level. You're better off rising up (or doing your best to) than dropping to a lower level, even if that drop is subconsciously. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

It always seems that I play to the level of my partners. If they are better than me, I usually end up having better than average rounds. If they are worse than me, I usually play worse.

TaylorMade M5 driver, M2 3 wood

Mizuno JPX921 blend - Hot Metal Pro 4-6, Forged 7-PW

Cleveland CBX ZipCore Wedges - 48, 52, 58

Scotty Cameron Squareback putter

No doubt it makes you better. Been playing with a buddy of mine for 7 years and have only beaten him once (I’m around an 8 and he’s a 2). Gives me a goal to go for every time we play.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

I generally play better when I play with better players or when a few bucks in on the line to keep the game interesting. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

The majority of the guys in our group play from the bronze tees (5700 yds slope rating 123) and average handicap is around 22. Recently a few guys decided to join our group that are low to mid teens. The first time I joined them they told me while they were playing from the whites (6100 yds slope rating 131), and I could play from the bronze if I wanted. I decided to play from the whites with them and ended up playing well In fact I probably played better with them than with my regular group. And I had more fun

Sounds weird, but I think playing with guys my handicap or worse is making me a bit complacent. Any else have the same reaction/result?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Actually I think it’s common. I know I prefer to play w better players than me (which is easy to find). Everyone wants to play at a higher level and playing with lower handicap than yourself you concentrate a bit more on the little things that can add up quickly.
Have fun, that’s what it’s all about

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

... I enjoy playing with golfers that truly love the game and give it all their concentration, so their handicap is irrelevant as long as they have a positive attitude. I have found more really good players can be a PITA when struggling on the course because they are in such a negative mind frame, although there is that high index group that never seem to hit a good shot yet complain about every bad shot like it isn't their norm. I also love playing with better players that have something I can either lean from or just admire. I have played with several Mini Tour and DI college players and really enjoyed the experience, although I could learn nothing from them or their game.

... I joined a MT player in Orlando at Champions Gate on the second hole and he had already teed off and asked if I wanted to join him. My tees were about 50 yds in front of his and I hit a really nice drive. Our balls were about the same yardage on a par 5 with 245 left to the flag but a dogleg just before the hole guarded by trees. I hit a nice hybrid to the far side of the fairway about 225 and leaving me a pitch to an unobstructed pin. I watch this 24 yr old pull a 4 iron and figure he is laying up too. He aims right for the flag which has a 230 carry over the trees guarding the green and hits a towering 4 iron that ended up just over the green on the back fringe. He says "I think a 5 might have got me close but my first priority was clearing the trees which are taller than they look". LOL, nothing about anything he did had any relevance to my game so nothing to learn or pick up but I enjoyed the experience because he was a good guy and a joy to watch swing a golf club. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I always enjoy playing with better players if nothing else its fun to watch good golf.  I've also learned from playing with better players that you don't have to hit it 280 to play good golf.  One of my good friends is probably a 3 hndcp and he only hits it 230-240 off the tee.  However he's always down the middle and rarely makes mistakes and has a good short game.  It does seem like it raises your game to a different level also.  Another big bonus is you don't have to chase everyone else golf ball all over the place. One of my best friends who I play with often is a 15, and he hits it all over the place and i get tired of looking for his ball every hole.  You can also learn things to improve your own game by playing with better players.

10 minutes ago, Jfontes said:

I always enjoy playing with better players if nothing else its fun to watch good golf.  I've also learned from playing with better players that you don't have to hit it 280 to play good golf.  One of my good friends is probably a 3 hndcp and he only hits it 230-240 off the tee.  However he's always down the middle and rarely makes mistakes and has a good short game.  It does seem like it raises your game to a different level also.  Another big bonus is you don't have to chase everyone else golf ball all over the place. One of my best friends who I play with often is a 15, and he hits it all over the place and i get tired of looking for his ball every hole.  You can also learn things to improve your own game by playing with better players.

Cant agree more, It is so much fun to see someone playing a GOOD clean round. 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

The majority of the time I play with guys much better than me. I have learned so much about the game, course management, how to deal with setbacks etc. It exposes the weaknesses in your game in a good way that gives you hope and encourages you to improve. It has made me better and I learn something new every time out. I do find it much more fun. On the other hand when I go to play with people on my level or worse I usually have my worst rounds. Its funny how this works. I almost feel bad when I play with people better than me that I am not pushing them to be better of offering anything but then I realize the money I donate and entertainment I provide is more than enough. 

:taylormade-small: Driver M6 9 Patterson Kinect 

:755178188_TourEdge: Tour Edge Exotic EXS 3 Wood 15 degree 

:taylormade-small: Rescue 3 fairway/hybrid wood 17 degree

:ping-small:  irons i-500 4-W Project X LZ 5.5 

:taylormade-small: Wedges,  Mill Grind 2- 50 degree, 56 degree, 60 degree HI-Toe

:cameron-small:  Scotty Cameron Newport 2 putter Super Stroke grip

:Snell: MTB-X optic yellow

VESSEL  bag Player stand 2.0 

4 minutes ago, BelowParGolf said:

The majority of the time I play with guys much better than me. I have learned so much about the game, course management, how to deal with setbacks etc. It exposes the weaknesses in your game in a good way that gives you hope and encourages you to improve. It has made me better and I learn something new every time out. I do find it much more fun. On the other hand when I go to play with people on my level or worse I usually have my worst rounds. Its funny how this works. I almost feel bad when I play with people better than me that I am not pushing them to be better of offering anything but then I realize the money I donate and entertainment I provide is more than enough. 

Its nice to be asked sometimes "what am I doing here, what do you suggest out of here" it's helping someone get better, we have all been there (and still are) pointers when asked are great!

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

See I agree with alot of you guys. The guys who were the better players in our group have stuck at their private course and I honestly think my game has suffered for it. 

Hopefully soon I can find a better group or join a league somewhere else where I can play more. We'll see.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

As in all other competitive events, sports or otherwise; always have a chance to observe/participate with higher standard than yourself if possible.

As a golfer, you will pick up something from a better player if you pay attention.  May that be the rhythm, timing, accelerate through the golf ball....... I picked up quite a few tips from competitive golfers while playing a round with them.  The first lesson I picked up quite some time ago was how the better golfer can stop the bleeding on a bad hole, their ability to scramble for par after a bad tee shot.  Looking back, I had benefited when I witness others score lower than 70 with a not so spectacular round of golf.  Patience with the pars and a few birdies that came along, that's all.

I would grab any chance to golf with the better golfers than I am, any time.

Edited by release

Another perspective I found recently:  the 'relativity' of the score per hole. I found when I'm playing with others that are same or worse then me. When we approach the green and they're putting for a bogie and get a double. Then I get a bogie, I'm saying to myself "well that wasn't so bad - at least I did better than their doubles" . On the other hand playing with guys better than me I'm looking for birdies or pars. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Another perspective I found recently:  the 'relativity' of the score per hole. I found when I'm playing with others that are same or worse then me. When we approach the green and they're putting for a bogie and get a double. Then I get a bogie, I'm saying to myself "well that wasn't so bad - at least I did better than their doubles" . On the other hand playing with guys better than me I'm looking for birdies or pars. 

Never thought about it but makes sense.

Rick

Left Hand, 

4 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Never thought about it but makes sense.

Guess it's all about managing expectations - just like Life. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

... I played with a guy playing his first round since last fall. He hit two in the weeds off the first tee and finally topped one straight. I hit a nice drive in the fairway. Embarrassed he said he hopes his awful play doesn't ruin my round. I told him with Covid 19 keeping us indoors for months now, getting out to play golf in fresh air is it's own reward. We have 2somes only with tee times 15 minutes apart and no carts, we have allllllll the time in the world. To my slight surprise he smiled and said "Ok then" and he never complained about another bad shot and he hit many probably losing a dozen balls. I had my own problems as this was only my second round and winds were around 20 mph. I had 6 bogies and 12 pars without even sniffing a birdie. 73 yesterday for my first round and 78 today for my 2nd round. Like my partner, whose name was Sammy having moved here from India 15 years ago, I kept up a good attitude in the face of poor play.  

... He hit a decent drive on 18 (after putting his first in the water) and I hit my best drive of the day. He then said to me I had done something he wants to do very badly and could I guess what it was. 9 pars in a row? No. Hit solid fairway woods? No. Call your shot then pull it off? No. I said I give up. He smiled and said one time in my life I would like to play a round of golf with the same ball I started playing on the first hole. LOL, I would have never guessed that. He was playing shag bag balls of every brand along with orange, yellow and pink. I reached in my bag and pulled out a brand new TP5x with my markings and said to him "Take this ball, it's a premium ball played by lots of guys on tour and many single digit players. Take it out on one hole with no water or weeds and play that hole. Then put it back in your bag and your next 18 play it another hole. Do this one hole every round and after 18 rounds you will still have the same ball you started out playing! THEN since you know you can do it, keep that confidence and carry it over to one single round". Thankfully he did not do that dance of "No I can't take a new ball of yours" and instead said "Thanks, I'm gonna do it!" 

... With a playing pard like that, how can you not have a good time regardless of what anyone shot.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Yes totally agree. I think sometimes playing golf with better players has you focus more and in turn improves your score/game. Fun is the most important thing though!

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

10 hours ago, chisag said:

... I played with a guy playing his first round since last fall. He hit two in the weeds off the first tee and finally topped one straight. I hit a nice drive in the fairway. Embarrassed he said he hopes his awful play doesn't ruin my round. I told him with Covid 19 keeping us indoors for months now, getting out to play golf in fresh air is it's own reward. We have 2somes only with tee times 15 minutes apart and no carts, we have allllllll the time in the world. To my slight surprise he smiled and said "Ok then" and he never complained about another bad shot and he hit many probably losing a dozen balls. I had my own problems as this was only my second round and winds were around 20 mph. I had 6 bogies and 12 pars without even sniffing a birdie. 73 yesterday for my first round and 78 today for my 2nd round. Like my partner, whose name was Sammy having moved here from India 15 years ago, I kept up a good attitude in the face of poor play.  

... He hit a decent drive on 18 (after putting his first in the water) and I hit my best drive of the day. He then said to me I had done something he wants to do very badly and could I guess what it was. 9 pars in a row? No. Hit solid fairway woods? No. Call your shot then pull it off? No. I said I give up. He smiled and said one time in my life I would like to play a round of golf with the same ball I started playing on the first hole. LOL, I would have never guessed that. He was playing shag bag balls of every brand along with orange, yellow and pink. I reached in my bag and pulled out a brand new TP5x with my markings and said to him "Take this ball, it's a premium ball played by lots of guys on tour and many single digit players. Take it out on one hole with no water or weeds and play that hole. Then put it back in your bag and your next 18 play it another hole. Do this one hole every round and after 18 rounds you will still have the same ball you started out playing! THEN since you know you can do it, keep that confidence and carry it over to one single round". Thankfully he did not do that dance of "No I can't take a new ball of yours" and instead said "Thanks, I'm gonna do it!" 

... With a playing pard like that, how can you not have a good time regardless of what anyone shot.  

Love this!

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

I definitely agree that playing with better golfers helps you throughout the course of the round.

1) it challenges you to go for shots that you might not typically go for to try and compete with the better golfers. It might not work out every shot, but when you do but that tough shot, it gives you confidence for the next time

2) those better golfers might give you tips and tricks to slightly help out something you struggle with.

3) you get in a groove with everybody hitting decent shots. You don’t really have to wait around for people looking for their balls getting you out of rhythm. You feed off people doing good, you want that feeling, gives you hope/want to drain that putt for birdie/par.

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

At first the change to me plays a big difference. I often play with my father or brother in law, 2 golfers who normally shoot in highs 90s or low 100s. Then one day I was playing with a couple college golfers and the first 3 holes I was trying to stick with them but flat out couldnt. Kid was hitting PW into a 160 par 3 and I was going 8 iron or well should have I went 9 because no way he had 2 clubs on me Haha. Then once realization set in I started playing my game and I ended the 9 4 strokes back and the 18 6 strokes back.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Love playing with those better than me. I mean I know they're going to beat me but there are those miraculous rounds that make it so much fun. Also you can learn from those better than you just by watching. 

The only time I hate playing with someone better is when its a stranger who is just a pure jerk about you being worse. (rushing you, making snide comments, etc) 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

• 2 weeks later...

I pretty much block everything out and play the course. I always try to play my best no matter if I'm playing with a scratch golfer or a 25 handicap.  I cant say I play better either way.  But I do drop a couple strokes when I get out of rythm helping to find someones ball  constantly. 

I played with someone once in a charity event and he lost almost two dozen balls in 18 holes. Yes I helped find quite a few  but there was a lot of water on the course and his balls liked to swim! I felt bad for him. It was a four man scramble and he got to drop by the best ball and still lost that many. But even though he was a nice guy and he kept apologizing, it was hard to stay focused that day.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

On 4/28/2020 at 8:36 PM, tony@CIC said:

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I think a lot has to do with attitude.  I play with some guys who are mediocre golfers, but expect the world. They get very angry about shots or misses that someone at that level will hit, and they bend the rules.  But then there is a 75 your old guy who absolutely loves golf and doesn't care how he does, just happy to be out there, but I play better with him. 

I think a lot has to do with attitude.  I play with some guys who are mediocre golfers, but expect the world. They get very angry about shots or misses that someone at that level will hit, and they bend the rules.  But then there is a 75 your old guy who absolutely loves golf and doesn't care how he does, just happy to be out there, but I play better with him. 

We have an entire area, The Villages where you’ll meet a lot of the happy to be out playing 75 year olds

Rick

Left Hand, 

6 hours ago, Erik-M said:

Golf is definitely depends on attitude. Blow up hole? better forget it or more are coming. Just need to get out there and have fun, make up for that bad hole on the next one...or just have a drink either way!

Check out my reviews:

WITB: