TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Training System

STUDque
Message added by STUDque

Follow our testers' progress live at the following Google Sheet: CLICK HERE

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

It’s so embarrassing these days! I used to be somewhat flexible. That’s out the window after a day working in the yard these days 😟

Seriously! I used to go the trainings after my workouts so my body would be warmed up and didn't have to worry about all that. Whole different story now... 😔

:SuperSpeed: Training: 

Initial Driver Speed: 90 MPH

WITB: Fitting Location: Club Champion - Houston, TX 

Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 10.5 w/Tensei Orange 60 - Stiff

3 Wood/ 4 Hybrid: :taylormade-small: RBZ w/Aldila NV

4-PW: :titelist-small: T-100 w/ KBS Tour V - Stiff 

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM7 Vokey Wedges - 50, 54, 58 

Putter: :odyssey-small: O-Works #1

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B

Rangefinder: Bushnell Pro X2 

6 hours ago, Nunfa0 said:

Mate it could be worse, I can't bend my left hip past 90 degrees or I risk dislocating the shiney new one I just got 🤣

I thought getting a new one you'd be able to open your legs like a snakes jaw now...🤣

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

46 minutes ago, MattF said:

I thought getting a new one you'd be able to open your legs like a snakes jaw now...🤣

So you've watched videos of the operation then 😜

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Ok testers I have a question. I see you all talking about warm ups and flexibility. Do any of you think this regime will have a benefit for your overall fitness and strength? Can you feel parts of your body being worked that haven't worked this hard in years?

Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

2 minutes ago, Nunfa0 said:

Ok testers I have a question. I see you all talking about warm ups and flexibility. Do any of you think this regime will have a benefit for your overall fitness and strength? Can you feel parts of your body being worked that haven't worked this hard in years?

Honestly I don't think it's really any sort of standalone workout that would have any longterm fitness benefits.  The program is really about rewiring your brain and muscles more than making them bigger, increasing flexibility or anything like that.

I think swinging faster and harder than we normally do causes stress points on muscles and joints that we normally aren't hitting in normal workouts, so one can definitely feel sore in certain areas after a protocol session.  Personally, I haven't felt any post workout pain or soreness following protocols, but that is likely due to the fact that I do regular stretching and full body workouts outside of the SuperSpeed training so my body is better prepared to handle the stress of such violent swings

4 minutes ago, Nunfa0 said:

I don't think the SuperSpeed warm-ups contribute a lot to strength, however, I feel they are important to developing added flexibility. They exercises are also very fitting for a pregame warm-up. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

9 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I don't think the SuperSpeed warm-ups contribute a lot to strength, however, I feel they are important to developing added flexibility. They exercises are also very fitting for a pregame warm-up. 

I'm going to second this. I've been doing the warm up at home despite not having the sticks yet just to get into a routine and it is helping with some flexibility and a overall routine.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

My obliques were very clearly sore after the first training session (as were my forearms). But after that, no more soreness specifically related to the training.

As others have said, it is about the brain more than the muscles’ strength. Even in our video conference with SuperSpeed they acknowledged that there is more to how fast a golfer can swing than just their program.

Strength, flexibility, technique, and equipment properly fitting the golfer’s swing all play large roles. This type of speed training just happens to be something most golfers don’t train.

There is a reason why most of the professional male long drivers are over 6ft tall and look like bodybuilders. Those long levers add speed just because they are longer than someone who is 5’6”.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

If I remember correctly I think Bucky from the '18 test was doing a weight lifting regime that went along with the Speed sticks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I feel like the off-hand swings were a real benefit to stretching me out. I feel a lot better after making some swings in both directions. They’re certainly not lying about preparing the body to slow down a faster swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

OK, NOW I'm starting to get really convinced. Here are the week over week Day 1 numbers. BTW I'm using the 'Senior' sticks (explains the color difference).  If I can make this kind of progression weekly...hmmm.. FYI, my wife is getting similar increases as well and she's just as excited. 

numbers.png.42988d4ef81d73cc076516bb51e031ba.png

Yeah buddy!!! Your buddies are going to make you move back a tee box next time you play with them.

WITB:

I have a VERY loaded question for the testers, or actually anyone who might have an opinion. My question goes to your thoughts on the efficacy of the SuperSpeed Training System vs. other simpler (read: less expensive) methods.  

Hank Haney says making a golf swing 50 times a day will dramatically improve your swing. So just being bored this winter, along with hoping to do something to improve my swing speed for the season, I started swinging my driver in my living room every day. I started off with a top speed of 89 mph as indicated by my PRGR device. After several weeks of swinging & doing the left swing/right swing drills other on-line coaches suggest, my top speed was routinely in 99 to 100 range topping out at 102 a few times when all the stars aligned & my body cooperated. At the driving range my swing speed seems to top out at about 96 mph, but now I’m concentrating on hitting it straight rather than purely swinging faster. I don’t know what my swing speed was when hitting a ball before starting this exercise.

SuperSpeed doesn’t cite specific speed increases, at least from what I read, after the initial 5%, just that you’ll continue to see improvements as you continue the program. I’m a soon-to-be a 69-year-old guy and I’ve already increased my swing speed in the 11%+ range. So my question is: do you think there would be much of an advantage to the SuperSpeed Training System for someone like me?

Thanks,

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X w/ LINQ M40X 6F3 Shaft, or Motore X F35R, or Newton 3-Dot

:srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft

:srixon-small: ZX MK II 23 deg Hybrid Iron

:mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts

:titleist-small: SM9 54D & 58M deg wedges

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1 Putter w/Stroke Lab shaft or :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice

I have a VERY loaded question for the testers, or actually anyone who might have an opinion. My question goes to your thoughts on the efficacy of the SuperSpeed Training System vs. other simpler (read: less expensive) methods.  

Hank Haney says making a golf swing 50 times a day will dramatically improve your swing. So just being bored this winter, along with hoping to do something to improve my swing speed for the season, I started swinging my driver in my living room every day. I started off with a top speed of 89 mph as indicated by my PRGR device. After several weeks of swinging & doing the left swing/right swing drills other on-line coaches suggest, my top speed was routinely in 99 to 100 range topping out at 102 a few times when all the stars aligned & my body cooperated. At the driving range my swing speed seems to top out at about 96 mph, but now I’m concentrating on hitting it straight rather than purely swinging faster. I don’t know what my swing speed was when hitting a ball before starting this exercise.

SuperSpeed doesn’t cite specific speed increases, at least from what I read, after the initial 5%, just that you’ll continue to see improvements as you continue the program. I’m a soon-to-be a 69-year-old guy and I’ve already increased my swing speed in the 11%+ range. So my question is: do you think there would be much of an advantage to the SuperSpeed Training System for someone like me?

Thanks,

You can increase speed by swinging your driver with a radar unit. But that isn’t over speed training. If you search for over speed training there are protocols that just use lightweight sticks; saw one that used a driveway marker (couple of dollars at a home improvement store) and another just using the middle stick from superspeed. There are also lower cost sticks similar to the superspeed sticks and some people have done DIY to save costs.

If you are seeing I improvements in swingspeed doing what you are doing then great, but I can’t speak to how permanent the results will be. The advantage of superspeed is that they have designed protocols and has done research about maintaining the speed gains.

Everyone sees different results based on their body and how they are currently swinging.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

58 minutes ago, MIgregb said:

Thanks,

I can't answer your question since I haven't seen side by side results with two identical people - one doing he SuperSpeed protocol and the other doing a 'just swing faster' driver training. However, what I do believe SuperSpeed brings to the table are: a discipline (protocol) and metrics for achieving results.

Over this past winter winter i started a total body fitness program - working both upper and lower body (alternating each day), I also spent a fair amount of time at our heated driving range swinging my long clubs. I was using a SC200 LM to track progress. Even though I consider myself in an above average fitness level,  when our course opened up in April  I saw little swing speed progress. Was that because I'm a year older (I'm 73) and my swing speed would have been lower if I didn't do those things? Or could it be that I wasn't doing the right things the right way?  What I can tell you is that after one week, both my wife (75) and I have seen more swing speed progress then with the winter workouts. 

Can you make them at home? Of course. Can you buy knockoffs, yup. I'm for a good deal anytime, all the time, however, the cost includes the intellectual property associated with the SuperSpeed clubs, And they're also a supporter of MGS.  

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

You can increase speed by swinging your driver with a radar unit. But that isn’t over speed training. If you search for over speed training there are protocols that just use lightweight sticks; saw one that used a driveway marker (couple of dollars at a home improvement store) and another just using the middle stick from superspeed. There are also lower cost sticks similar to the superspeed sticks and some people have done DIY to save costs.

If you are seeing I improvements in swingspeed doing what you are doing then great, but I can’t speak to how permanent the results will be. The advantage of superspeed is that they have designed protocols and has done research about maintaining the speed gains.

Everyone sees different results based on their body and how they are currently swinging.

I had similar questions myself. The concept is not a new one; sprinters put elastic bands around their waists and have others basically slingshot them to where they have to run faster than before (overspeed) to avoid falling over.

So the science is sound. As another member said, the thing here is overspeed training. Swinging a driver only can improve speed, but it is it going beyond what your body could do before hand that makes overspeed different than becoming more efficient (if that makes sense).

I am one who felt as though I was already at my upper limit. While I do have concerns that the PRGR is struggling to measure some of my swings accurately (I’m going to post a video demonstrating this later), I do visually see faster swings and hear faster swings than my pre-testing.

WITB:

Just finished my Week 2 day 1 training. I think I hit a PR on two of the exercises, but just 1mph faster for both.

Here’s the thing. I wonder if the PRGR struggles at faster swings. Reason being is I couldn’t get anywhere over 121mph with dry driver swings at the end of my session. So for fun I decided to try a “cruising swing” speed (85%) and a "golf course speed" (what I would swing on the course on a real golf hole). I was hitting 117ph, 118mph, and even 119mph with what felt like 85% effort and my golf course swings. Then I’d try all out effort and couldn’t get over 121mph (which I only hit twice, most were 118 or 119).  Recall that I have hit 130mph (just once) and 126mph.

Looking at the video (which I’ll post below) seems like there is substantial difference in speed (visually and sound), but only 2mph faster.  Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't want to just go off of "feel" when I could have objective data to go by.

Let me know if you all think the hard swing is more than 2mph faster than the others.  Maybe I'm crazy...

Edited by ChasingScratch

WITB:

1 hour ago, ChasingScratch said:

Just finished my Week 2 day 1 training. I think I hit a PR on two of the exercises, but just 1mph faster for both.

Here’s the thing. I wonder if the PRGR struggles at faster swings. Reason being is I couldn’t get anywhere over 121mph with dry driver swings at the end of my session. So for fun I decided to try a “cruising swing” speed (85%) and a "golf course speed" (what I would swing on the course on a real golf hole). I was hitting 117ph, 118mph, and even 119mph with what felt like 85% effort and my golf course swings. Then I’d try all out effort and couldn’t get over 121mph (which I only hit twice, most were 118 or 119).  Recall that I have hit 130mph (just once) and 126mph.

Looking at the video (which I’ll post below) seems like there is substantial difference in speed (visually and sound), but only 2mph faster.  Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't want to just go off of "feel" when I could have objective data to go by.

Let me know if you all think the hard swing is more than 2mph faster than the others.  Maybe I'm crazy...

Watching it - I couldn't tell the difference. Do you have access to a different type monitor where you could evaluate them side by side? If our weather decides that sunshine is better than rain, I 'm going to test the PRGR against my SC200 just for giggles.

BTW  anything in yourt speed range just blows my mind. . 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Watching it - I couldn't tell the difference. Do you have access to a different type monitor where you could evaluate them side by side? If our weather decides that sunshine is better than rain, I 'm going to test the PRGR against my SC200 just for giggles.

BTW  anything in yourt speed range just blows my mind. . 

The only thing I plan to do is get on GC Quad with my fitter at the end. I don’t have another launch monitor to compare to aside from that. I do need to try hitting balls and see if that helps it at all.

Thanks for the kind words. I just can’t fathom the huge differences I get at times.

WITB:

2 hours ago, ChasingScratch said:

Could it be that it feels like you are going harder but the body mechanics aren't allowing the club head to move any faster? Personally my best distance with driver comes when my swing is smooth not when I'm making maximum effort.

By the way I'm loving this test guys, you're all putting in great efforts and answering our questions really well 👏👏👏😁😎

Ok as a follow up question to my last do the testers (definitely including our last group as well) think that you would benefit more from this system if you also incorporated a fitness or strength training regimen to go with it?

2 minutes ago, Nunfa0 said:

Could it be that it feels like you are going harder but the body mechanics aren't allowing the club head to move any faster? Personally my best distance with driver comes when my swing is smooth not when I'm making maximum effort.

By the way I'm loving this test guys, you're all putting in great efforts and answering our questions really well 👏👏👏😁😎

I certainly agree there is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to speed/effort.  I just know that on the "golf course swing" I wasn't trying hard at all.  On the ones where I hit 130mph and 126mph in the past, it felt like I almost blacked out and the swing was over.  I can just tell a difference and it is hard to justify grading a training system based on what I 'feel' (if that makes sense).

WITB:

Just now, ChasingScratch said:

I certainly agree there is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to speed/effort.  I just know that on the "golf course swing" I wasn't trying hard at all.  On the ones where I hit 130mph and 126mph in the past, it felt like I almost blacked out and the swing was over.  I can just tell a difference and it is hard to justify grading a training system based on what I 'feel' (if that makes sense).

It will be really interesting to see your speed on another system but the true measure will be when you start bending iron hostels, cracking drivers and hitting 350 every drive!!

3 hours ago, ChasingScratch said:

You definitely look fast with the all out and obviously that’s the intention for this but remember 85% swing 100% distance! I notice these too and when hitting a ball I read higher to but Definitely not my ball speed.My all out swings don’t read even close. I think for me anyway the most accurate reading is actually hitting a ball With these radars 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

13 minutes ago, Nunfa0 said:

It will be really interesting to see your speed on another system but the true measure will be when you start bending iron hostels, cracking drivers and hitting 350 every drive!!

Many you got me laughing over here! LOL

WITB:

12 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

You definitely look fast with the all out and obviously that’s the intention for this but remember 85% swing 100% distance! I notice these too and when hitting a ball I read higher to but Definitely not my ball speed.My all out swings don’t read even close. I think for me anyway the most accurate reading is actually hitting a ball With these radars 

For sure.  With increased swing speed also comes more spin (more offline on misses and more backspin).  So unless the driver loft and shaft also get upgraded to match the speed, it is spinning your wheels at a certain point.  That's what is so interesting about long drivers.  They'll have some swings where their ball speed is crazy fast, but the spin is too high and it goes nowhere.  All the variables must match their optimum numbers to get the most distance out of any speed.

I think the encouraging thing and the way I know I'm faster is that I was hitting 119 with max effort during the pre-test but now it feels like a regular swing.  That is moving in the right direction! 

Edited by ChasingScratch

WITB:

Ok as a follow up question to my last do the testers (definitely including our last group as well) think that you would benefit more from this system if you also incorporated a fitness or strength training regimen to go with it?

In my case I definitely feel that a fitness program is important - but again keep in mind I'm coming from a different age category than most everyone here. I'll also add that while a fitness program is important having a flexibility program is important as well.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

In my case I definitely feel that a fitness program is important - but again keep in mind I'm coming from a different age category than most everyone here. I'll also add that while a fitness program is important having a flexibility program is important as well.

To reach one’s peak potential in any athletic endeavor, I firmly believe that a strength and flexibility program is essential. Look at any modern professional or collegiate athlete. They almost all do strength and flexibility training. Even those who don’t look like they do. The SuperSpeed team acknowledged that overspeed training is just a part of swing speed.

WITB:

28 minutes ago, Nunfa0 said:

Personally, I believe lessons would help me hit longer and straighter drives. 😂 But on a serious note, yes. I think a strength and fitness routine would be beneficial along with SuperSpeed. @edingc has incorporated fit for golf's specially designed system for complimenting SuperSpeed and has made extraordinary gains.

I know for me personally, an added strength regimen especially to strengthen the lower body would help. I have what I like to call "scrawny chicken legs" and believe some extra gains could be made by promoting them to just chicken legs would compliment SuperSpeed nicely. 

I'm not saying SuperSpeed isn't an excellent program, I just know that by increasing my potential ground forces it would add to the results. 

I have what I like to call "scrawny chicken legs" and believe some extra gains could be made by promoting them to just chicken legs would compliment SuperSpeed nicely. 

Maybe you can get Michelson to put together a super calf program for you

Left Hand orientation