TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Training System

STUDque
Message added by STUDque

Follow our testers' progress live at the following Google Sheet: CLICK HERE

Not an MGS tester so I really don’t want to hijack the thread, but I just bought the Super Speed system last weekend, based largely on what I’m reading in this thread and the previous test thread.

Did my first Level 1 workout last night; my plan is to do it every MWF. That said, I am a little concerned about some of the feedback I’ve seen about spraying it once you actually tee it up, so I’m planning to do an Orange Whip session Tuesday and Thursday to try and preserve some tempo.

Is that a bad idea? Will Orange Whip practices in between neuter the brain reprogramming that Super Speed is trying to do? I certainly don’t go all out with the Orange Whip, I just would like to still keep it in bounds when I play while working through the Super Speed protocols. But, I also don’t want to render the protocols worthless.

Thoughts? (Again, hope this is okay to post here, don’t want to hijack anything.)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

53 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Not an MGS tester so I really don’t want to hijack the thread, but I just bought the Super Speed system last weekend, based largely on what I’m reading in this thread and the previous test thread.

Did my first Level 1 workout last night; my plan is to do it every MWF. That said, I am a little concerned about some of the feedback I’ve seen about spraying it once you actually tee it up, so I’m planning to do an Orange Whip session Tuesday and Thursday to try and preserve some tempo.

Is that a bad idea? Will Orange Whip practices in between neuter the brain reprogramming that Super Speed is trying to do? I certainly don’t go all out with the Orange Whip, I just would like to still keep it in bounds when I play while working through the Super Speed protocols. But, I also don’t want to render the protocols worthless.

Thoughts? (Again, hope this is okay to post here, don’t want to hijack anything.)

I think you will see a little more dispersion off the tee when you first start out.  I did in the earlier test, but it doesn't last very long.  Don't give up if you see it!!  At some point you will be more comfortable with the swings and have better control.  It's like swinging with the non-dominant hand.  It feels really awkward at first, and your speed is much slower.  But keep doing it and that swing becomes less awkward.  I actually got to the point where my fastest speeds were with my non-dominant hand!!

The Orange Whip sessions should be fine.  I used my Skilz Gold Flex before every round I played, and even played in the afternoon after a morning protocol.  The only issue raised by SuperSpeed Golf was to NOT play golf prior to performing the protocol, if possible.

During the last testing we had several members that were not part of the testing jump in and shared their experiences.  I don't think it's hijacking.  Everyone welcomes participation when the goal is to provide input to members of the forum about products.  

Best of luck with your training!!  Love the forum name!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I think you will see a little more dispersion off the tee when you first start out.  I did in the earlier test, but it doesn't last very long.  Don't give up if you see it!!  At some point you will be more comfortable with the swings and have better control.  It's like swinging with the non-dominant hand.  It feels really awkward at first, and your speed is much slower.  But keep doing it and that swing becomes less awkward.  I actually got to the point where my fastest speeds were with my non-dominant hand!!
The Orange Whip sessions should be fine.  I used my Skilz Gold Flex before every round I played, and even played in the afternoon after a morning protocol.  The only issue raised by SuperSpeed Golf was to NOT play golf prior to performing the protocol, if possible.
During the last testing we had several members that were not part of the testing jump in and shared their experiences.  I don't think it's hijacking.  Everyone welcomes participation when the goal is to provide input to members of the forum about products.  
Best of luck with your training!!  Love the forum name!!

Great feedback, thank you!

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

@getoffmylawn I was also in the first test group - one of the goals of these testing threads is entire forum participation. Occasionally OEMs weight in as well so questions or observations are good.

One of the benefits that I found from the SuperSpeed program was improved ball striking consistency -

That can come from lessons too - those sometimes cause a step back to take a step forward. I’m sure the Orange whip is fine but if your going to truly see a benefit from SuperSpeed you are going to need some turbulence as your swing takes off and you get faster.

Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Does everyone do the protocol on grass or concrete? I dont really have a very flat area in my grass so I often do it on concrete but the other day did the protocol in the grass and my numbers were down across the board by about 5mph. Wondering if I should start doing it in the grass more in order for a more realistic training or does swinging harder on concrete better prepare the neural pathways.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

10 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

In my opinion, you are welcome to throw your observations/results in this thread - we like additional participation and prior participants have added invaluable content to the thread, so why not another "unofficial" contributor?

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

7 minutes ago, tchat07 said:

Does everyone do the protocol on grass or concrete? I dont really have a very flat area in my grass so I often do it on concrete but the other day did the protocol in the grass and my numbers were down across the board by about 5mph. Wondering if I should start doing it in the grass more in order for a more realistic training or does swinging harder on concrete better prepare the neural pathways.

I did my first session on grass, but it was not an absolutely flat lie (the only flat area of my yard is very swampy right now) so every subsequent session has been on my deck with a turf-like doormat to protect my driver and the superspeed sticks from inadvertent contact. I did not see any obvious differences between the two.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

@getoffmylawn I was also in the first test group - one of the goals of these testing threads is entire forum participation. Occasionally OEMs weight in as well so questions or observations are good.

One of the benefits that I found from the SuperSpeed program was improved ball striking consistency -

That can come from lessons too - those sometimes cause a step back to take a step forward. I’m sure the Orange whip is fine but if your going to truly see a benefit from SuperSpeed you are going to need some turbulence as your swing takes off and you get faster.

Good luck

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

Still taking GolfTec lessons (infrequently) as well, I'm just not terribly patient with myself and it bugs me to shoot bad scores, even if I'm creating my own "turbulence" that will turn out to be for the good in the end.  If improved consistency is to be found in the program along with clubhead speed then I am REALLY psyched.  The Me and My Golf guys in their YouTube review of SuperSpeed also spoke to that...that the training seems to improve overall sequencing.

53 minutes ago, tchat07 said:

I did most of it in my backyard wearing golf shoes, and tore up the grass in one spot.  I tried to move around as much as possible, but my yard only had a few flat spots.  When the weather was bad, I did the protocol on my patio wearing sneakers.  I did see a small drop in speed but nothing significant, probably because of loss of traction and not being able to rotate as well under control.  I think you get the same effects, just a different baseline.

If you do it on concrete, you should place something like a rubber mat in the area where you are swinging.  I found that you can hit the concrete (or grass) occasionally.  Not an issue on grass, but concrete...  🙄   ... or the radar unit...  😢

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, tchat07 said:

I'll do mine on the grass, unless its wet then I'll do it on the concrete.  I didn't notice much difference in my speeds.  I'm looking for some turf or something that I can use because I tear up a lot of grass doing the workouts.  Even in sneakers I'm just about down to dirt by the time I finish.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

20 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

I'll do mine on the grass, unless its wet then I'll do it on the concrete.  I didn't notice much difference in my speeds.  I'm looking for some turf or something that I can use because I tear up a lot of grass doing the workouts.  Even in sneakers I'm just about down to dirt by the time I finish.

I have several noticeably bare spots in my backyard from the last two year's worth of training, and I only use sneakers so I'm sure it'd be worse with spikes.

During the winter I do the protocols in the garage on concrete. I've made some pretty spark showers before bouncing the sticks off the concrete.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

2 hours ago, tchat07 said:

I have a commercial grade driving range mat that I do my protocols on 

Generally I do mine on grass in my back yard with soft spikes - I have a spot that's worn down and its hard to grow grass there anyway.  I've used the driveway while keeping the radar and swing area on grass and that worked fine. 

I've also tried the gym at church - I lost speed on that surface.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

4 hours ago, tchat07 said:

It's basic physics at this point.  The softer ground will absorb more energy and reduce reaction of pushing off.  In staying consistent with the super speed system, I would argue to continue to practice on concrete to allow your body to relearn at this increased speeds.  This will mostly likely provide improved speed when you tee it up.  And if I'm totally wrong here someone please tell me!

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

It's basic physics at this point.  The softer ground will absorb more energy and reduce reaction of pushing off.  In staying consistent with the super speed system, I would argue to continue to practice on concrete to allow your body to relearn at this increased speeds.  This will mostly likely provide improved speed when you tee it up.  And if I'm totally wrong here someone please tell me!

There’s got to be some trade-off with grip too. If you loose a bit of traction in sneakers on the driveway vs spikes on the grass that might eat up all if not more than the gain you get from firmer ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

28 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

There’s got to be some trade-off with grip too. If you loose a bit of traction in sneakers on the driveway vs spikes on the grass that might eat up all if not more than the gain you get from firmer ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Word! Man... science is cool.  

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

5 hours ago, tchat07 said:

And to answer,  I've been doing to protocol's on concrete the whole time and haven't noticed a drop in speed on the course vs in my garage.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I definitely like seeing the higher speeds so probably going to stick to my concrete swings. I do agree I have seen a few spark shows going that route. I put a turf mat to protect the sticks haha.

The paint on our deck has sand in it - very good grip in tennis shoes, but what prompted me to use a door mat was after sparks flew off my driver. Nice little scuff on the bottom now. Yes, I'm an idiot.
I followed the 18 version pretty much for the entirety and will say that it seems to be a right of passage to hit the ground at least once or twice or the poor (pre-PRGR) "radars" that you put straight in front of your swing.

Not sure if it was the heat and humidity or recovery from the Memorial Day weekend - but yesterday's swings were lower with all of the sticks - most in the 3-4 mph range. Will be interesting to see what tomorrow brings, hopefully the numbers will be back up. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

New personal record with the driver after training today 
IMG_20200528_085002.thumb.jpg.f46c09a6ed01e521ad591b61bee98a93.jpg

Hit 117, 119 and 119 on three consecutive swings 

Yeah buddy!

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

Not sure if it was the heat and humidity or recovery from the Memorial Day weekend - but yesterday's swings were lower with all of the sticks - most in the 3-4 mph range. Will be interesting to see what tomorrow brings, hopefully the numbers will be back up. 

I have noticed variations as well based on time of day and how much fun work was that day or what I was doing prior to swings. With the nicer weather I have been running again so I am working on how I schedule the swings.

Overall I have seen consistent gains.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

16 hours ago, cnosil said:

I started doing the protocols during last years testing and stopped due to pain in my fingers but the 2020 thread inspired me to get started again.  The big question was where to start;  I was through 19 weeks so my thought was to start protocol 3 over again but I would judge based on numbers from my first session.  Having done most wanted driver testing,  I knew my swing speed on GC Quad was generally in the 106-108 range when making a normal shot.   Took a before number and swung at 108.   Started the protocol and my initial numbers were just under where I stopped last year so I think I am starting at a good place.   

Very quickly my fingers starting hurting like they were last year.  I thought that maybe I was holding the club to tight so I loosened my grip a little which helped with the pain but will be something I continue to monitor.    

Did a driver speed test after the session and recorded a top speed of 117.   

Thanks to all the people participating in the thread to help get me motivated to get started again!

I had the same problem with the fingers.  I've been double gloving for the training and really working on relaxing my hands. This has really helped me and relaxing the hands improved my swing speed and I had better ball striking on the course. 

Now that you guys are getting deeper in the training, what are you finding on the course?

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

5 hours ago, twyatt700 said:

I had the same problem with the fingers.  I've been double gloving for the training and really working on relaxing my hands. This has really helped me and relaxing the hands improved my swing speed and I had better ball striking on the course. 

Double rain gloves is the only way for me with the protocols, especially because of the lefty swings