TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Training System

STUDque
Message added by STUDque

Follow our testers' progress live at the following Google Sheet: CLICK HERE

Played an interesting course Saturday, Southers Marsh in Plymouth, MA - it built around working cranberry bogs - also, it's an executive course, so pretty short (but plenty of opportunity to lose balls in the cranberries).  Anyway, didn't have a lot of chance to "take off the governor" because I was having a terrible round for the first 9 or 10 holes (topping the ball all over the place), but eventually got straightened out enough where I felt comfortable letting 'er rip - and hit what I think was my longest drive yet (about 220, which is a neighborhood I'd be happy to live in, at least for now 😀). I forgot to start my Arccos, but one of the guys I was playing with had one, so I'm estimating based on his distance).  So I'm glad I saw @revkev mention the other day Daisy's challenge to him last year; gonna keep it up now.

Edited by Mike Lambert

11 hours ago, ChasingScratch said:

Ok, Level 1 Week 4 Day 2 done.

I felt like I really grasped the "heel pressure" concept today (thanks Kyle).  Felt like I could get a ton of ground forces vertically by really pressurizing that heel.

That being said, I felt insanely fast today.  I was holding on for dear life on some swings.  However, the PRGR didn't seem to show any differences from when I feel slow.  Jury is still out for me on that one.  I mean when you hear the stick sounding like a whip cracking through the air and you look down and see the same speeds as when it sounds normal, I just don't know.

Unfortunately the wind was blowing like crazy today, so I'll have to mute the swing audio in the video (have to love Texas winds...).

@ChasingScratch when you are using the PRGR and feeling like you were faster than it is reading try moving it to the side of where ball position would be for driver or even a few inches forward toward the target. You may be producing those higher speeds a little more out front of the ball and they just aren’t catching on the launch monitor at their peak speed. 

6 hours ago, SuperSpeed Golf said:

@ChasingScratch when you are using the PRGR and feeling like you were faster than it is reading try moving it to the side of where ball position would be for driver or even a few inches forward toward the target. You may be producing those higher speeds a little more out front of the ball and they just aren’t catching on the launch monitor at their peak speed. 

Good tip, thanks @SuperSpeed Golf  I have the Speed Radar unit and sometimes have trouble getting swings to register, mostly on my non-dominant side with the step change - I'll give this a try.

[mention=86896]ChasingScratch[/mention] when you are using the PRGR and feeling like you were faster than it is reading try moving it to the side of where ball position would be for driver or even a few inches forward toward the target. You may be producing those higher speeds a little more out front of the ball and they just aren’t catching on the launch monitor at their peak speed. 

I was wondering if that could be the case. Fastest part of the swing should be after the ball, so it would make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

Numbers were pretty solid today but I am still not seeing the translation to the course. My distance off the tee is actually down from last year, which for me hurts because that was one of the strongest portions of my game. I might have flipped a switch though with my irons because on my 16th hole the other day I scorched a 9 iron through the green. I dropped another ball and went PW and dropped it pin high. The distance was clearly my stock 9iron distance but with how it hit both shots I feel like that might be changing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

54 minutes ago, tchat07 said:

Numbers were pretty solid today but I am still not seeing the translation to the course. My distance off the tee is actually down from last year, which for me hurts because that was one of the strongest portions of my game. I might have flipped a switch though with my irons because on my 16th hole the other day I scorched a 9 iron through the green. I dropped another ball and went PW and dropped it pin high. The distance was clearly my stock 9iron distance but with how it hit both shots I feel like that might be changing.

I think one of the things we have to consider with on-the-course driving distance is the shaft/head/loft combo.  If we don't change it and are substantially faster, it could result in more spin which could lower distance.  Might need to go see a fitter for a tune up.

WITB:

I think one of the things we have to consider with on-the-course driving distance is the shaft/head/loft combo.  If we don't change it and are substantially faster, it could result in more spin which could lower distance.  Might need to go see a fitter for a tune up.
100% agree. This is actually a question for the whole group, at what point in the program should I go get fitted? 1st jump, 2nd jump, at an extended plateau?

12 minutes ago, tchat07 said:

100% agree. This is actually a question for the whole group, at what point in the program should I go get fitted? 1st jump, 2nd jump, at an extended plateau?

Extended plateau for me. This for me is a longer goal. I plan on continuing this for a long time and using it to really push my game forward. 

Plus I am still driving the ball well and not seeing any negatives yet.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

A interesting article about back swing for any of those interested.

https://golf.com/instruction/driving/faster-backswing-driver-hit-ball-longer/

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

So I think @ChasingSratch is rubbing off on me. Was racing my wife yesterday at the football field while we let the kiddos run around on the turf and I pulled my groin! So unfortunately after hitting 110-112 consistently at the range earlier in the day I’m going to have to take a few week hiatus. The good new is I beat her in our 30 yard sprint prior to said injury (this is impressive cause she was an all-America long jumper in college). Glad to see everyone’s progress though! Keep it up! When I’m healed up I’m on to the third phase!

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

I would do it at the extended plateau. Also keep in mind that dry swings/range speed takes longer to translate to the course. At least it did for me. There is a memory our body has and I think off the tee takes the longest translate. I tend to swing softer on the course to ensure the accuracy given I play on a lot of wooden/tight courses. I think if you keep at it you’ll see a big improvement in the overall game. @ChasingSratch is spit on those. I switched shafts to a x and was about 10-15 yard farther.

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

4 hours ago, Apolloshowl said:

Extended plateau for me. This for me is a longer goal. I plan on continuing this for a long time and using it to really push my game forward. 

Plus I am still driving the ball well and not seeing any negatives yet.

This.  I have every intention of a full year or more of SuperSpeed (and then some) and then revisiting my numbers at GolfTec.

This Honma test should be telling actually.  i worked it out with my GolfTec coach to come in and treat it like a driver fitting, but I'll actually just get numbers against my current gamer, other OEMs, etc., for purposes of the test.  But the way the timing will work out, it will be after 2 weeks into the Level 2 protocol...I'm hoping/praying to catch a jump that shows up in the fitting session.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

So I think @ChasingSratch is rubbing off on me. Was racing my wife yesterday at the football field while we let the kiddos run around on the turf and I pulled my goin! So unfortunately after hitting 110-112 consistently at the range earlier in the day I’m going to have to take a few week hiatus. The good new is I beat her in our 30 yard sprint prior to said injury (this is impressive cause she was an all-America long jumper in college). Glad to see everyone’s progress though! Keep it up! When I’m healed up I’m on to the third phase!

nooooooo!! As we age we have to be smarter and warm up before we do anything! A few years ago, some of my college students were talking trash so we lined it up for a race. I had them all beat by a long shot for the first 60 meters..... then my left glute seized up and then went by me. They said, “Dang Doc, you were lightning for a little while.” LOL

WITB:

Just finished a Level 1 workout.  One more on Friday, then on to Level 2 baby!

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wanted to pose a question to testers using the super speed training system, is anyone experiencing an increasing in low back pain or any other joint related pathology since beginning the training protocols? I am a physical therapist and am interested in learning more about protocols and how I can apply it to my patients in the future

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

Wanted to pose a question to testers using the super speed training system, is anyone experiencing an increasing in low back pain or any other joint related pathology since beginning the training protocols? I am a physical therapist and am interested in learning more about protocols and how I can apply it to my patients in the future

No low back pain, but do experience pain/stiffness in my fingers. Can’t specifically point to superspeed as I also make a lot
of swings doing testing for MGS,
But when I stopped last year I did get Some relief.
Based on suggestions in this thread I have switch to a baseball style grip for superspeed which has minimized the discomfort but not 100% eliminated.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

34 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

Not an "official" MGS SuperSpeed tester, but if you look through this thread there are actually reports of the training helping to alleviate back pain and stiffness, and while I was skeptical of that it's actually had that benefit for me as well.  I suspect the training just increases overall mobility in that area, maybe?

Interesting reports of improvement. Unless the suspected areas of limitation have improved mobility vs causing the other regions that typically compensate to become overworked/stressed. I think it would be something that would be interesting to pay attention to over the long term. Large example I would be thinking of is Tiger Woods after his low back fusion and the continued stress with his high swing speeds

Titleist ProV1

1 hour ago, RollingGreens said:

Nothing with my lower back and the only discomfort I've felt has been with off hand swings. The warm up before is very important and will help prevent any of those issues. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

2 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

Interesting reports of improvement. Unless the suspected areas of limitation have improved mobility vs causing the other regions that typically compensate to become overworked/stressed. I think it would be something that would be interesting to pay attention to over the long term. Large example I would be thinking of is Tiger Woods after his low back fusion and the continued stress with his high swing speeds

You will know more then I will, but much with my last post I think it's essential to warm up the body before this and golf or really any other physical activity. 

Especially as we get older, I know over the past few years I definitely feel my body not quite being able to do what I use to and need that extra time to warm up for any activity I do. I can feel stresses on my body (especially knees and back) and work hard to be more active on daily life to keep up that mobility and flexibility. I've even gotten into a routine of doing their dynamic warm up on off days.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

I am one who has seen a lot of relief in my lower back. For the past few years, I have had near constant pain/discomfort of varying degrees, especially in the right-side SI area. I have seen chiropractors, done a variety of stretches, and started going to the gym regularly with the goal of strengthening my core and improving flexibility. While there has been some relief, the combination of the warm-up and protocols has given me, by far, the most relief. If I gained no speed, I would still be happy with the program for this reason alone.

Like @cnosil, my hands are pretty sore, but I don't think it is protocol-specific, rather related to the fact that I believe I am developing minor arthritis and the shear number of swings I am taking in a week when you combine the protocols with my usual amount of golf.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

2 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

I am one who has seen a lot of relief in my lower back. For the past few years, I have had near constant pain/discomfort of varying degrees, especially in the right-side SI area. I have seen chiropractors, done a variety of stretches, and started going to the gym regularly with the goal of strengthening my core and improving flexibility. While there has been some relief, the combination of the warm-up and protocols has given me, by far, the most relief. If I gained no speed, I would still be happy with the program for this reason alone.

Like @cnosil, my hands are pretty sore, but I don't think it is protocol-specific, rather related to the fact that I believe I am developing minor arthritis and the shear number of swings I am taking in a week when you combine the protocols with my usual amount of golf.

Would you contemplate switching to a larger grip with the swing speed protocols to combat the arthritic changes since the swing volume is so high

Titleist ProV1

15 hours ago, tchat07 said:

Great question!  In my case, I'm really still a novice, so inefficiency in my ball striking is probably as big a factor for someone like me as speed.  I kinda think getting my technique in a bit better shape is probably a better focus before a fitting, but would be interested in what more experienced players have to say about that.

1 minute ago, RollingGreens said:

Would you contemplate switching to a larger grip with the swing speed protocols to combat the arthritic changes since the swing volume is so high

That's sounds like a pretty good idea. Even though I wear medium gloves, I have gone to midsize grips on my clubs because it is more comfortable to my hands. I will consider changing the grips after the official review is done and see if that helps. My hands never really hurt after all the swinging, it's more a stiff feeling. I am strongly considering trying some CBD oil/cream just to see if that helps.

I also need to get some rain gloves - I switch gloves through the protocols, but my hands get so sweaty that i feel like I am death-gripping the clubs at times so I don't launch a stick into the woods. I'm planning on getting some tonight after work.

15 hours ago, tchat07 said:

To me, it would make the most sense when we hit an extended plateau. If I had a pile of money to burn, it would be an interesting exercise to see how the fit changes throughout the process - before, first jump, second jump, plateau.

I actually had an injury in my lower back.  I honestly think that it was a combination of doing too much.  I was on a low calorie fat-loss plan, working out 5 days per week (lifting weights and rowing) and doing the SuperSpeed training.  I think it was overuse. 

WITB:

11 hours ago, twyatt700 said:

I would do it at the extended plateau. Also keep in mind that dry swings/range speed takes longer to translate to the course. At least it did for me. There is a memory our body has and I think off the tee takes the longest translate. I tend to swing softer on the course to ensure the accuracy given I play on a lot of wooden/tight courses. I think if you keep at it you’ll see a big improvement in the overall game. @ChasingSratch is spit on those. I switched shafts to a x and was about 10-15 yard farther.

Added the bold for emphasis because I'm finally seeing the speed increases transfer to the course and it's been something like 16 months since I did my first SuperSpeed workout.

I do suspect that if you have a pretty reliable swing, the results will translate faster. I've been taking lessons since November and that has dramatically helped my confidence level, which in turn lets me feel a little more freedom in my swing to increase the speed.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Being 58, everything is a bit more ache-y than it used to be 😉 .  But I have to say I haven't experienced any new soreness directly related to the SS protocols, I think because when I went through them before (Dec '18 - May '19, Oct '19 - Jan '20) I had been going to the gym on a regular basis, so it didn't seem like I was adding much additional stress.  I started up again a couple of weeks ago after having halfheartedly been doing some body-weight exercises at home for about a month, but had been hitting balls into a net as well (maybe 40-50 a day, 3 or 4 days a week - having to work from home full time has been a great opportunity to practice a bit between rounds).

Anyway, my left (non-dominant side) shoulder blade/upper arm area has been a bit sore, but that started with hitting balls in the backyard before starting the protocols.  It hasn't gotten any worse from the protocols, and isn't bad enough to stop - I mainly feel it at night because I sleep on my side.  One thing that helps is using a lacrosse ball to hit the tight spots between my shoulder blades (by lying on it).  Hope that's useful.

1 minute ago, edingc said:

Added the bold for emphasis because I'm finally seeing the speed increases transfer to the course and it's been something like 16 months since I did my first SuperSpeed workout.

I do suspect that if you have a pretty reliable swing, the results will translate faster. I've been taking lessons since November and that has dramatically helped my confidence level, which in turn lets me feel a little more freedom in my swing to increase the speed.

You make a great point about how confidence level is a big part of this; for me, that's one of the biggest things I've learned from going through the protocols.

I’ve not had any issues and I’ll be honest .... I don’t do the entire warm up all the time as I usually do this after I run or have worked out recently so I feel good to go. I could certainly see where doing this cold could really hurt

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe