TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Training System

STUDque
Message added by STUDque

Follow our testers' progress live at the following Google Sheet: CLICK HERE

5 hours ago, BLW15 said:

Does anyone have a recommendation on how to combine the superspeed training protocol and the orange whip training? Would they compliment each other or somehow counteract? Would it be wise to use both on the same day or to alternate? I guess the overall goal would be to get the speed improvements from the superspped and the tempo/balance benefits of the orange whip.

I have an OW. For now, I am not doing anything off the course with it. I still use it at the course (in place of the red stick in the dynamic warmup). 

After I posted some videos over the last couple weeks, Kyle suggested (paraphrasing) that it looked like I was struggling to get weight transferred to my left leg. After some tests to see if it was hip or ankle tightness, he graciously sent me a few stretches to try to loosen my hips (left, in particular). Tonight, for some reason I could really feel myself not getting my left hip open fast enough. I have no issue transferring and rotating onto my right leg during left-handed swings and the LH speeds are catching up, even though they still feel awkward as all get out. I just started the hip stretches last week, so we'll see where it goes.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Got my set back out for the first time in about 6 months. I am wanting to get back into it, and they recommend I pickup where I left off and add week. Also, has anyone tried the counterbalanced one as a stand alone trainer? B9ECF094-FAB6-4390-8DE8-356F824706BF.jpeg.3564bdcaabfe36e1f747acfba50c4972.jpeg

:taylormade-small: STEALTH 2+ 10.5* FUJIKURA VENTUS TR BLACK 6X

:srixon-small: ZX MKII 3W 15* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX U.S.A. 8TX

:taylormade-small: Stealth+ 19 Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 85TX

:srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW KBS $Taper 130 BLACK PVD

:cleveland-small: RTX 6 Zipcore 50/54.10 Full Project X 6.0

:ping-small: GLIDE 4.0 60.10S DYNAMIC GOLD TOUR ISSUE S400

:EVNROLL: ER2v MIDLOCK 40”

:maxfli: TOUR X

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope 

:SuperSpeed:

A little disappointed total. Did a driver test after testing irons for
Most wanted. Swing speed was 105-108. The disappointment is because that is what I was swinging earlier this year during most wanted driver testing.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

A little disappointed total. Did a driver test after testing irons for
Most wanted. Swing speed was 105-108. The disappointment is because that is what I was swinging earlier this year during most wanted driver testing.

We all have our ceilings my friend. I hope yours gets north of 108. But I still love where you are at!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

50 minutes ago, revkev said:

We all have our ceilings my friend. I hope yours gets north of 108. But I still love where you are at!

I really can't complain about 108,  but I have seen the occasional 110/111 so I was hoping to see a few of those.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 7/26/2020 at 3:39 PM, Jbmullin said:

Another week of testing wrapped up and continuing to see small gains through the protocol and on the course.

Speeds seem to be holding steady / stalled around 103mph with the yellow stick, and reaching 100 occasionally with the green.

I have started to become somewhat concerned with the poor form that is creeping into my swing on courses the last few weeks. Really trying not to overthink the drive but it’s getting tougher as I really want to mash the accelerator but that is leading to wayward shots. Just another wrinkle in the game.

Still keen and excited for the progress made up to date and think the real benefit will he in the winter for me when there is no golf for months.

Edit to add some data from Arccos, noticed in the blog post a lot of folks were asking about results or gains made from the super speed testing. 

Fairways hit is a significant improvement for me, even after complaining above that I am struggling with form. GIR is up from last year , I believe I was just under 25% , the leaving it short is something I keep focusing on. My round yesterday I hit 39% GIR but left 72% short. I keep trying to pull one more club.

image.png.cf9391c0068fdb597f9b69741fd85edb.png

image.png.9bc127bcf926369bbade1d54671d852d.png

image.png

@Jbmullin great to see the progress! Some contact drill may help you to sort through the kinks. Give some of these a shot and let us know if they help.

https://www.strikespray.com/pages/drills

On 7/26/2020 at 10:23 PM, zrumble said:

It is so hard to not kick that left hip out and drop down under the plane! 
But PRGR made a liar out of me tonight on a quiet Sunday evening range session. 5 swings in a row of 116mph clubhead speed. Just got amped up a bit, got the heart rate up, then really threw the club back HARD. Contact was not good, but sustaining a new PB for a few minutes was worth it. 

@zrumble sometimes that is what it takes to break through to the next level. Then you prove to your body it can move that fast and the reigns come off. Really common with Olympic lifters where they will use breathing and other techniques to amp the nervous system to hit that personal best. Nice work!

11 hours ago, BLW15 said:

Does anyone have a recommendation on how to combine the superspeed training protocol and the orange whip training? Would they compliment each other or somehow counteract? Would it be wise to use both on the same day or to alternate? I guess the overall goal would be to get the speed improvements from the superspped and the tempo/balance benefits of the orange whip.

I had a similar question/concern that I posted earlier in this thread.  I also have an OW and bought the SuperSpeed system; I’m currently 4 weeks in to Level 2.

As it seems you know, SuperSpeed and OW have different training objectives.  SuperSpeed wants to reprogram your brain for faster clubhead speed, while (the original) OW is a tempo training aid and NOT a speed training device.  I wanted to use OW while in SuperSpeed training primarily to tone down the potential for gross mishits resulting from newfound speed.

I’ll defer to the SuperSpeed folks that I suspect will chime in on this (they are great about paying attention to this thread and answering questions), but I would recommend using OW for tempo training only on “off” days from SuperSpeed, and even then only do the the one-handed OW drills and not the full swings.  (And, of course, continue to use it as a pre-round warm-up.). SuperSpeed  is reprogramming your brain...why throw another variable into the equation?

Just my two cents...

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

12 hours ago, BLW15 said:

@BLW15 @Mike Lambert for the original orange whip we would recommend alternating days due to the weight of it. It is somewhat confusing to the nervous system if you do it on the same day as speed training due to the overall weight. We have seen it work best for those who have trouble separating the pelvis from the torso during transition. It forces the pelvis to lead which is the proper sequence. This in turn also can assist in creating better lag. It is promoted as tempo and rhythm but we often forget a good tempo and rhythm doesn’t necessarily have to do with a swing that looks smooth or slower. A fast looking swing may have a great tempo just with the parts moving quicker. 

How exactly do you post a video? Do you have to upload to YouTube and create a link?

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That is the best way to post a video

Hey everybody! 
Sorry I’ve been MIA the last couple weeks! 
My wife gave birth to our baby boy a couple weeks ago, so we have been adjusting to that.

The training has been going well. I actually took last week off because the radar they sent me crapped out. It started throwing crazy numbers and just wasn’t accurate anymore. So I had to order another off amazon. It just came in, so I will be proceeding today. 
Week one of level two I got a start swing speed of 107, which is a 5-6 mph increase from level one. Again, my regiment number haven’t really increased, but my beginning swing speed has gone up. I’m seeing at the moment that my end of regiment swing speed is staying about the same also. I’ll end the regiment at about 107-110. About the same as level one. 

When it comes to my game, I’m hitting the ball really well. I’m getting great distance. I’m already seeing what I wanted out of this which is to have a nice pure smooth swing where I don’t feel like I’m over swinging or swinging faster to get longer distances. For example, I feel a good 85% 7 iron will carry 170ish. That is plenty of distance in my opinion. 

Im feeling good! 
Hope all is well with everybody!

Elizabeth City, North Carolina

Right Handed

Handicap: 18

Driver: Taylor Made Sim MAX D-type 9.5 / VA composites Vylyn Shaft 65G Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metals / KBS C-Taper Shafts Regular

16 hours ago, cjeffs12 said:

Got my set back out for the first time in about 6 months. I am wanting to get back into it, and they recommend I pickup where I left off and add week. Also, has anyone tried the counterbalanced one as a stand alone trainer? B9ECF094-FAB6-4390-8DE8-356F824706BF.jpeg.3564bdcaabfe36e1f747acfba50c4972.jpeg

This is the radar I just bought off of amazon? Haven’t used it yet. Do you like it? 
I read that it may not be accurate without a ball. Is that true?

Elizabeth City, North Carolina

Right Handed

Handicap: 18

Driver: Taylor Made Sim MAX D-type 9.5 / VA composites Vylyn Shaft 65G Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metals / KBS C-Taper Shafts Regular

14 minutes ago, MALyons31 said:

This is the radar I just bought off of amazon? Haven’t used it yet. Do you like it? 

I have got some where it will flash the same number as the swing before, like it did not pick up the swing. Other than that when I use the red club its speed is much like my driver speed when I hit on a monitor. I only use it to track my superspeed swings, so that I know I am getting faster or not. For example, my 125 on this is 125, it may not be on a different LM, but as long as this is the one I am always using the next time I swing I am trying for 126. When I purchased it, it was 30 dollars on amazon, and it has worked for me, just by trying to swing faster than my last swing or last session. 

Congrats on the baby boy btw! 

:taylormade-small: STEALTH 2+ 10.5* FUJIKURA VENTUS TR BLACK 6X

:srixon-small: ZX MKII 3W 15* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX U.S.A. 8TX

:taylormade-small: Stealth+ 19 Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 85TX

:srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW KBS $Taper 130 BLACK PVD

:cleveland-small: RTX 6 Zipcore 50/54.10 Full Project X 6.0

:ping-small: GLIDE 4.0 60.10S DYNAMIC GOLD TOUR ISSUE S400

:EVNROLL: ER2v MIDLOCK 40”

:maxfli: TOUR X

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope 

:SuperSpeed:

I have got some where it will flash the same number as the swing before, like it did not pick up the swing.

First congrats on the new baby.

That is the radar that was originally used for the superspeed protocol and is what I use. It doesn’t require a ball.

When the number flashes it
Means the speed was identical to the prior swing. If you match it a third time it will stop blinking.

52 minutes ago, MALyons31 said:

Hey everybody! 
My wife gave birth to our baby boy a couple weeks ago, so we have been adjusting to that.

Congrats!

Now you can join @jlukes in doing the protocols sleep-deprived!

Hey everybody! 

The training has been going well. I actually took last week off because the radar they sent me crapped out. It started throwing crazy numbers and just wasn’t accurate anymore. So I had to order another off amazon. It just came in, so I will be proceeding today. 

Week one of level two I got a start swing speed of 107, which is a 5-6 mph increase from level one. Again, my regiment number haven’t really increased, but my beginning swing speed has gone up. I’m seeing at the moment that my end of regiment swing speed is staying about the same also. I’ll end the regiment at about 107-110. About the same as level one. 

When it comes to my game, I’m hitting the ball really well. I’m getting great distance. I’m already seeing what I wanted out of this which is to have a nice pure smooth swing where I don’t feel like I’m over swinging or swinging faster to get longer distances. For example, I feel a good 85% 7 iron will carry 170ish. That is plenty of distance in my opinion. 

Im feeling good! 

Hope all is well with everybody!

Congrats!

That's the same radar that I use and like said before I am not basing any metrics off the speed just whether or not its improving with what I am currently doing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Finished up Level 2 week 1 today. My wife and I left town for a few days last week to celebrate our 10yr anniversary, so I had delayed my last day of week 1.

I felt really fast today. Sticks slicing through the air like ninja throwing stars. No records on the PRGR, but felt fast.

We’ve come to the conclusion that I am not going to worry about what the numbers say and just focus on GC Quad post testing for the future. In theory, my dry driver swings on PRGR should be faster than hitting a ball, but for whatever reason I can’t seem to consistently get above 120mph, even though that is slower than my slowest speed on GC Quad.

It will be fun to see if I can get another 2-3mph out of this body by the end of this Level 2 protocol.

The double step swings are quite fun. You really get the feel of momentum.

Review video coming soon!

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

2 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

Finished up Level 2 week 1 today. My wife and I left town for a few days last week to celebrate our 10yr anniversary, so I had delayed my last day of week 1.

I felt really fast today. Sticks slicing through the air like ninja throwing stars. No records on the PRGR, but felt fast.

We’ve come to the conclusion that I am not going to worry about what the numbers say and just focus on GC Quad post testing for the future. In theory, my dry driver swings on PRGR should be faster than hitting a ball, but for whatever reason I can’t seem to consistently get above 120mph, even though that is slower than my slowest speed on GC Quad.

It will be fun to see if I can get another 2-3mph out of this body by the end of this Level 2 protocol.

The double step swings are quite fun. You really get the feel of momentum.

Review video coming soon!

Is your back holding up okay?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

Is your back holding up okay?

Yes thank you! Reduced my weight lifting and rowing some so that is helping (not as much overuse happening).

WITB:

A little help @SuperSpeed Golf please. As background my protocol coincided with our club championship today. I ended up doing the protocol a couple of hours after playing 18 so pretty warmed up and back felt good even after playing the 18 and doing the protocol - but I found that my non-dominant side was quite a bit faster (6-7 mph) than my dominant side. Didn't matter if it was step or kneel. Is this normal? . 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

49 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

A little help @SuperSpeed Golf please. As background my protocol coincided with our club championship today. I ended up doing the protocol a couple of hours after playing 18 so pretty warmed up and back felt good even after playing the 18 and doing the protocol - but I found that my non-dominant side was quite a bit faster (6-7 mph) than my dominant side. Didn't matter if it was step or kneel. Is this normal? . 

Time to buy clubs and hit from the correct side as God intended? 😬

1 hour ago, MaxEntropy said:

Time to buy clubs and hit from the correct side as God intended? 😬

I might have to try that - left hand golf balls have been really hard to find recently. 🤣

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

19 hours ago, SuperSpeed Golf said:

@cnosil can you post a down the line and face on of driver? Would love to see if we can help. Thanks!

@SuperSpeed Golf must have been the day;  I took my driver today and speed was  much better.    Hit 115 on a later swing but didn't take a photo.  

40705861_IMG_0552(2)(Small).JPG.1c605ad84ad219cc3ca46b509f78ae19.JPG917513872_IMG_0553(2)(Small).JPG.588daab7130062b99fcc7dfae18d19fb.JPG

Anyway,  here is a down the line and face on view if you see anything.    

I'm curious to see what @SuperSpeed Golf says, but to me it looks like the upper body shifts forward at the start of the downswing vs hanging back a little bit.

Imagine in your left shoulder would hit into a wall on the downswing vs staying behind the wall (if that makes any sense).

Edited by ChasingScratch

WITB:

2 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

Yep,  I do that;  have done it for a long time and could never seem to break that habit.  Had one instructor tell me to try to keep a dot on the back of the ball visible.   But if fixing that will get me to 120;  I'll make another effort to fix 🙂

Yep,  I do that;  have done it for a long time and could never seem to break that habit.  Had one instructor tell me to try to keep a dot on the back of the ball visible.   But if fixing that will get me to 120;  I'll make another effort to fix

Might recommend more heel stomp drills and/or make dry swings against a wall without a club. Don’t let your lead shoulder hit the wall on the downswing. But that’s just one amateur to another talking. Do with it what you will.

WITB:

I find it really accurate. You definitely need to be within 6 inches in my opinion, I have the Garmin G80 for on the range or when hitting into a net. When I’ve set them side by side it’s pretty much the same speed. If anything it’s just a barometer for each swing to track progress. In the end the number last actually don’t matter it’s the change over time and the ability to track from swing to swing.

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

I did some digging around in Arccos over lunch today and a trend is becoming clear. Prior to adopting the faster backswing (which is still a bit of a work-in-progress), here is my dispersion off the tee. Yeah, it's pretty brutal. About a 140 yards wide with near equal left/center/right percentages. Even though the pattern is centered, I was typically aiming to the left side playing for a fade. Based on the "centeredness" I would say I was picking a decent spot, but my execution sucked about 2/3 of the time.

image.png.7a2a90354cfd4fa8ed88c2c841b1eca2.png

I mentioned last week that it seemed like the faster backswing has all but eliminated the two way miss. If I filter Arccos to just the last couple weeks, here is my dispersion:

image.png.cba8fa17cee4421cc0d95ffb2e2d0210.png

While I am still prone to the right miss, it is much less pronounced and the three pink dots to the right were high flares and I know what needs to happen to avoid them (doing it is a different issue, of course). Since the center is 10-ish yards left of the middle, maybe I need to get comfortable aiming down the middle or perhaps even a little right, but knowing a high flare is lurking makes it hard to actually do it. The better alternative may be to sort out my timing and get back to my normal fade.