TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Training System

STUDque
Message added by STUDque

Follow our testers' progress live at the following Google Sheet: CLICK HERE

Interesting discovery yesterday.  I shot my worst round in two months, after playing twice a week since June.  Looking back on the reasons I sucked, it was not my putting or sand rescues.  Those were actually better than normal.  It just seemed, and my ARCCOS post round data substantiated, that my 2nd and 3rd shots were consistently off by both distance and dispersion.  On the 17th, a playing partner also commented that my 54 degree wedge shot that bounced over the green was solidly hit, just too little feel for the shot.   I did my normal 5 shots per club warmup, although I was sweating a lot as it was upper 80s and high humidity at my 8:30 start time.  The only distance was I had gone thru my Week 12 SuperSpeedGolf exercises at 7 that morning.  I looked at my handicap scores and compared them with my exercise spreadsheet and discovered an amazing coincidence.  My four worst rounds since April have been April 28, May 5, May 19 and July 28.  Those were also the only four days where I did SuperSpeedGolf exercises and played on the same day.  Moral of the story:  I will continue to do the warmup exercises prior to playing, but, will not do the complete exercises prior to playing!

Ranny

1 hour ago, MaxEntropy said:

I did some digging around in Arccos over lunch today and a trend is becoming clear. Prior to adopting the faster backswing (which is still a bit of a work-in-progress), here is my dispersion off the tee. Yeah, it's pretty brutal. About a 140 yards wide with near equal left/center/right percentages. Even though the pattern is centered, I was typically aiming to the left side playing for a fade. Based on the "centeredness" I would say I was picking a decent spot, but my execution sucked about 2/3 of the time.

image.png.7a2a90354cfd4fa8ed88c2c841b1eca2.png

I mentioned last week that it seemed like the faster backswing has all but eliminated the two way miss. If I filter Arccos to just the last couple weeks, here is my dispersion:

image.png.cba8fa17cee4421cc0d95ffb2e2d0210.png

While I am still prone to the right miss, it is much less pronounced and the three pink dots to the right were high flares and I know what needs to happen to avoid them (doing it is a different issue, of course). Since the center is 10-ish yards left of the middle, maybe I need to get comfortable aiming down the middle or perhaps even a little right, but knowing a high flare is lurking makes it hard to actually do it. The better alternative may be to sort out my timing and get back to my normal fade.

Funny how the same training program can impact two players differently.  Since beginning Super Speed I have all but eliminated the left miss off the tee.  My miss is now favoring the right side, which I am very okay with.  My FIRs are trending higher, too.  I need a few more rounds with Shotscope before I start posting some charts and data, but the differences are noticeable even with only a quick glance at a limited data set (and by what I see on the course and at the range)

5 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Funny how the same training program can impact two players differently.  Since beginning Super Speed I have all but eliminated the left miss off the tee.  My miss is now favoring the right side, which I am very okay with.  My FIRs are trending higher, too.  I need a few more rounds with Shotscope before I start posting some charts and data, but the differences are noticeable even with only a quick glance at a limited data set (and by what I see on the course and at the range)

That's great and it'll be interesting to see the data as you get more. I'm just happy it looks like I am settling into a one-way miss, I don't really care which way as long as it becomes a little more predictable. The two-way miss started a couple years ago and led to me benching the driver at various times because the 3W was at least more consistent.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Interesting workout today - one of those sessions where I wasn’t warmed up at first. But I hit 115 with the blue stick which is a record for me with that one during step backs.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

It will remain to be seen if I am actually at the second jump, but I had PB's in 5 different swings tonight. Max'd out green stick at 130 at the end (I knew it was fast, but I don't know if it was real, we'll see if I reach it again) and had "after" driver swings of 117, 119, 117, 119, 110. I tried too hard on the last one - it wasn't good. For reference, I've reached as high as 115 with driver once (maybe twice, I'll have to check my spreadsheet) since we started.

20200729_175141.jpg.19dc4d095abaaee942f89ecbaaf40eae.jpg

20200729_175454.jpg.5215951815d40a3005b418bc59dde0fe.jpg

It will remain to be seen if I am actually at the second jump, but I had PB's in 5 different swings tonight. Max'd out green stick at 130 at the end (I knew it was fast, but I don't know if it was real, we'll see if I reach it again) and had "after" driver swings of 117, 119, 117, 119, 110. I tried too hard on the last one - it wasn't good. For reference, I've reached as high as 115 with driver once (maybe twice, I'll have to check my spreadsheet) since we started.
20200729_175141.jpg.19dc4d095abaaee942f89ecbaaf40eae.jpg
20200729_175454.jpg.5215951815d40a3005b418bc59dde0fe.jpg

That’s awesome! We’re going to have to put you up in the high swing speed group!

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

Played today and all my drive were 10-20 yards longer than my last time out at the beginning of the month!

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

Played 18 today and continued to struggle with driver (finding the middle of the face). Good news is that I shot 75. Short game really saved my butt on the front nine.

I just need to spend some time hitting balls into a net or on the range with some foot spray to figure out the contact issue. Frustrating to be swinging so fast to hit drives terribly. 3 wood was phenomenal though. I was pin high in two on a 590yd par 5 today.

Speed without control is pretty useless. That’s what makes Bryson and Finau so amazing. Long drive professionals are lucky to get a few balls in the grid in a tournament. These PGA Tour guys are doing it every single round of competition.

I did hit one bomb though. Granted it was blowing 15mph downwind, but it went 375yds!

IMG_6921.PNG

WITB:

Played 18 today and continued to struggle with driver (finding the middle of the face). Good news is that I shot 75. Short game really saved my butt on the front nine.

I just need to spend some time hitting balls into a net or on the range with some foot spray to figure out the contact issue. Frustrating to be swinging so fast to hit drives terribly. 3 wood was phenomenal though. I was pin high in two on a 590yd par 5 today.

Speed without control is pretty useless. That’s what makes Bryson and Finau so amazing. Long drive professionals are lucky to get a few balls in the grid in a tournament. These PGA Tour guys are doing it every single round of competition.

I did hit one bomb though. Granted it was blowing 15mph downwind, but it went 375yds!

IMG_6921.PNG.4dcb29be2072eda4987f98adb7d958cb.PNG

Damn bro!!! That’s legit. I’m basically going with the mindset of train to get my body to be as fast as possible and on the course swing at 80% for good contact. That said, today I hit some ropes! I mean I only had a 270 drive but still coming from 240 on my average I’m pleased with the progress! I think if you just focus on making any easy swing to hit it solid and straight, you won’t really be leaking much speed.

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

On 7/28/2020 at 12:44 PM, tony@CIC said:

A little help @SuperSpeed Golf please. As background my protocol coincided with our club championship today. I ended up doing the protocol a couple of hours after playing 18 so pretty warmed up and back felt good even after playing the 18 and doing the protocol - but I found that my non-dominant side was quite a bit faster (6-7 mph) than my dominant side. Didn't matter if it was step or kneel. Is this normal? . 

@tony@CIC typically one big reason people struggle with the non dominant side is they just are more physically restricted in that direction never having really accelerated hard rotating both ways. So being more warmed up could definitely impact this.

Another thought is that you were more fatigued from playing than you may have realized but since you didn’t play left handed that motor pattern was quite fresh leading to higher speeds.

Curious to see if this replicates itself if you didn’t the protocol in the same fashion again. 

On 7/28/2020 at 6:08 PM, cnosil said:

@SuperSpeed Golf must have been the day;  I took my driver today and speed was  much better.    Hit 115 on a later swing but didn't take a photo.  

40705861_IMG_0552(2)(Small).JPG.1c605ad84ad219cc3ca46b509f78ae19.JPG917513872_IMG_0553(2)(Small).JPG.588daab7130062b99fcc7dfae18d19fb.JPG

Anyway,  here is a down the line and face on view if you see anything.    

@cnosil @ChasingScratch thanks for the videos here. Tony is spot on about the upper body. It looks like your having trouble separating the pelvis from the torso during transition leading to your upper body leaning towards the target too soon. During transition the upper body should still be rotating back while the pelvis is beginning to move in the opposite direction towards the target. This is what is referred to as the X Factor stretch and is highly correlated to club head speed. 

Without a physical assessment these drills from private players of ours should give you some things to work on.

https://app.coachnow.io/posts/c2ac0b761ae64e2cae804021e7f257e4

https://app.coachnow.io/posts/28e1d7a35a7f48668a846a3d7eb40cad

https://app.coachnow.io/posts/bb4c9fb048224eecb9d465501f9c12c3

On 7/27/2020 at 11:32 PM, SuperSpeed Golf said:

@BLW15 @Mike Lambert for the original orange whip we would recommend alternating days due to the weight of it. It is somewhat confusing to the nervous system if you do it on the same day as speed training due to the overall weight. We have seen it work best for those who have trouble separating the pelvis from the torso during transition. It forces the pelvis to lead which is the proper sequence. This in turn also can assist in creating better lag. It is promoted as tempo and rhythm but we often forget a good tempo and rhythm doesn’t necessarily have to do with a swing that looks smooth or slower. A fast looking swing may have a great tempo just with the parts moving quicker. 

Thanks for the feedback!  I had been a little hesitant to use the orange whip during SS training (I haven't swung it since starting the SS training a few weeks back), thinking that it might work at cross-purposes with the speed training.  On the other hand, I do struggle a little with sequencing, and know exactly what you mean about it forcing the hip to lead, that's what I like about it.

@SuperSpeed Golf I’m a few weeks in to the third protocol, and I’ve been playing a lot of golf. My hands are sore, like I just completed an extremely hard workout, and my swing speed is down 7-8mph. I was thinking of taking a few days rest, but not sure where to resume the program. If I take 3-4 days, can I jump back in where I left off?

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

20 minutes ago, zrumble said:

@SuperSpeed Golf I’m a few weeks in to the third protocol, and I’ve been playing a lot of golf. My hands are sore, like I just completed an extremely hard workout, and my swing speed is down 7-8mph. I was thinking of taking a few days rest, but not sure where to resume the program. If I take 3-4 days, can I jump back in where I left off?

Good question; I have a similar question of @SuperSpeed Golf.  In 3 weeks I'm going to wrap up Level 2, but then immediately have 2 weeks of vacation and bringing the sticks with me won't be an option. When I come back, my plan was to jump back in by doing 1 "extra" week of Level 2, and then move on to Level 3, but I'm wondering if that's the recommended way to go.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

It's going to be a perfect evening for speed - forecast in mid 80's with lower-than-normal humidity. Let's see if I can produce similar numbers to Wednesday ....

9 hours ago, SuperSpeed Golf said:

@cnosil @ChasingScratch thanks for the videos here. Tony is spot on about the upper body. It looks like your having trouble separating the pelvis from the torso during transition leading to your upper body leaning towards the target too soon. During transition the upper body should still be rotating back while the pelvis is beginning to move in the opposite direction towards the target. This is what is referred to as the X Factor stretch and is highly correlated to club head speed. 

Without a physical assessment these drills from private players of ours should give you some things to work on.

https://app.coachnow.io/posts/c2ac0b761ae64e2cae804021e7f257e4

https://app.coachnow.io/posts/28e1d7a35a7f48668a846a3d7eb40cad

https://app.coachnow.io/posts/bb4c9fb048224eecb9d465501f9c12c3

thanks.  When I try to access those links on coachnow,  I get an error that I don't have enough permissions. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

thanks.  When I try to access those links on coachnow,  I get an error that I don't have enough permissions. 

Same for me, says you need a login.

WITB:

1 hour ago, ChasingScratch said:

Same for me, says you need a login.

I have an account as that is where my coach and I exchange information;  so it is more than just being able to log in.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just finished week 3 of level 2...overall, speed is down a little the past couple of weeks, but I think that could be a combo of hot days and humidity, plus I've been back at the gym the past 4 weeks, so maybe a little fatigue there as I transition back from being a slug.

Couple of interesting things I'm noticing:

• My non-dominant (left) step-change swings feel great - really smooth and a nice transition from back-swing to down-swing - since I shortened my step and are quite a bit faster than dominant side swings.  Now if I can re-create that on the right side, I'll be cookin'
  • The last knuckle on my left pinkie has been sore and a bit swollen for a few weeks now, I was getting worried that it might be arthritis starting.  But I think I just figured it out:  I've been using a baseball swing due to some tendinitis in my left thumb, and apparently my pinkie is gripping too tightly and getting mashed a bit when I swing.  Funny how compensating for one little thing can cascade to another thing.

Also wanted to add that I've keep learning things from everyone's posts, that's been really helpful too.  Thanks everybody!

Level 2 - Modified - Week 1 Summary video is now live:

I'm going to be really focusing on a squat/jump move this week (think Bubba and Justin Thomas) to see if I can't continue to work on vertical ground forces vs horizontal pushing. 

Hope you all are doing well and pushing yourselves to the limit!

Edited by ChasingScratch

WITB:

8 hours ago, cnosil said:

@cnosil 

9 hours ago, zrumble said:

@zrumble drop the training down to 2 days per week with more rest in between sessions. Make sure you’re wearing a glove on each hand. 

Also, grip strength is highly correlated with club head speed so some grip strength exercises may really benefit you. 

9 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Good question; I have a similar question of @SuperSpeed Golf.  In 3 weeks I'm going to wrap up Level 2, but then immediately have 2 weeks of vacation and bringing the sticks with me won't be an option. When I come back, my plan was to jump back in by doing 1 "extra" week of Level 2, and then move on to Level 3, but I'm wondering if that's the recommended way to go.

@Getoffmylawn yes we’d recommend doing exactly as you stated.

1 hour ago, ChasingScratch said:

Level 2 - Modified - Week 1 Summary video is now live:

I'm going to be really focusing on a squat/jump move this week (think Bubba and Justin Thomas) to see if I can't continue to work on vertical ground forces vs horizontal pushing. 

Hope you all are doing well and pushing yourselves to the limit!

@ChasingScratch these are looking so much better! Much less slide and it looks faster. 

It was another good night tonight. Not as fast as Wednesday, but still faster than pretty much every other session. I did have a pretty exhausting week, so that may have contributed. "After" driver was still in the 113-117 range for all 5 swings as opposed to 109-111 for the last month, or so. "Before" speeds were a little quicker than Wednesday, so I'm going to assume the second jump is here and that before and after will start converging.

Will have updates shortly. Made the move across the pond to mountain land and of course gold clubs and Superspeed sticks were priority and would have come carry on if they could have! These sticks have done some travel in their short time and don't a lot of good for my swing speed too!

Promise I will also get some of those videos too.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

18 hours ago, SuperSpeed Golf said:

@zrumble drop the training down to 2 days per week with more rest in between sessions. Make sure you’re wearing a glove on each hand. 

Also, grip strength is highly correlated with club head speed so some grip strength exercises may really benefit you. 

That sounds like a plan. I’ve read a bunch of official reviews threads and @SuperSpeed Golf has THE best service. Love how you guys are always here for the MGS community, and I’m not even an official tester. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

For this Level 2 protocol, my main focus is to increase vertical ground forces. Today, I worked on slamming the lead heel and then jumping off the ground (that’s the feel). I even got to where my lead foot was coming off the ground then turning like Bubba.

Check out the slow swing below:

WITB:

I’m not a tester but wanted to update again. After a few weeks off due to vacation and work craziness i started the third protocol today and wow! It seems I haven’t missed a beat and hit a PR across the board! Even hit 125 with a drive dry swing after the workout! The biggest takeaway I’ve seen however is my accuracy has greatly improved, I’m swinging easier on the course and still hitting it farther than my max out swings. Last time I played I didn’t have a single big right miss which I usually have 2-3 around!

Here are my numbers from the start of protocol 3! 🏌🏼‍♂️IMG_2635.thumb.JPG.0864414545befad8860abea877bfd000.JPG

IMG_2121.JPG

Left handed with the blue stick. I had to post it. I’ve been only doing maintenance sessions this summer due to heat indexes around 110 every day. I will get back to level 3 in earnest in September when it’s a it cooler in the evening at least.

My swing speed and distance on course are holding up nicely, unlike last summer when I stopped training altogether

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD