GolfSpy STUDque

2020 Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Training System

GolfSpy STUDque

Follow our testers' progress live at the following Google Sheet: CLICK HERE

Message added by GolfSpy STUDque

Our Sponsors

well, something new to report. My driver has become completely unhittable. Last week, my driver was the best club in my bag, I was hitting it farther and straighter then ever and today, I can barely hit it....not feeling great about it
I'm not that far down the rabbit hole but today I had a massive late turn right on my driver and 3 wood. Ended up having to go irons off the tee because of the trouble it was getting me into.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MALyons31 said:

well, something new to report. My driver has become completely unhittable. Last week, my driver was the best club in my bag, I was hitting it farther and straighter then ever and today, I can barely hit it....not feeling great about it

We warned you if you read through last year's reviews and threads. 🙂

What SuperSpeed sometimes calls a plateau feels like an out and out train wreck when you are going through it.  No worries it will pass.  I'm pretty sure that I would not have made it through the program had I not been a part of a testing community.  You will have ups and downs with your protocols and your swing and perhaps your body as well - most of us did the first time around.  Hang in there - the swing issues don't last long - less than two weeks and you will find your new normal - at first it won't be that you are hitting it that much farther, just that you are at the top of your range way more - if you can hang in there the farther comes towards the end of the second level beginning of the third.

• Like 8

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Since I haven’t hit a ball since I started the training (and now the injuries are delaying me indefinitely), I have a question. For those who have noticed their accuracy and/or confidence go south with driver, are you swinging all out like you would with a SuperSpeed stick/swing, or are you swinging your normal golf course driver swing?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

Instagram:  @_chasing_scratch

YouTube: Chasing Scratch

Facebook:  Chasing Scratch

:SuperSpeed: Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small: G400 LST 8.5* with HZRDUS SMOKE 6.5 70g 

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  Vokey SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4, 32.5", 1* loft

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Funny you should say that. The last two times I went out, my driver was the most inconsistent club in my bag. Normally I'm hitting the driver straight (I average 77% fairways). The last 2 times I was either topping it or skying the ball. Maybe I need to rethink how I'm hitting the sticks.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 6

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

1 hour ago, ChasingScratch said:

Since I haven’t hit a ball since I started the training (and now the injuries are delaying me indefinitely), I have a question. For those who have noticed their accuracy and/or confidence go south with driver, are you swinging all out like you would with a SuperSpeed stick/swing, or are you swinging your normal golf course driver swing?

I feel like I am dialing it back quite a bit. I took the PRGR out to the course with me a couple weeks ago and set it up for two drives and ended up with 107 and 106. Not quite what I've been maxing out at, but not as far off as I expected. Swings felt smooth, but they were both high slices. Since they opened the range at our league course, I plan on going early this week to try to sort things out.

• Like 5

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Ended week three with a slight improvement over weeks one and two. You can see the numbers in the link at the top of the page. Overall my best numbers were 87 - 91 - 86.  I was actually disappointed. While I made progress over previous weeks, I didn't make progress this week. My best numbers actually came from Week 3, Day 1. I've got to figure out what I did differently on day 1 vs 2 or 3. 

On a different but related note I was able to drive the ball today which was a problem the last 2 outings. I think I missed only 2 out of 18 fairways today and both of those were to the right vs. short. No topping, no sky balls, just my normal straight drives. I just have to separate my swing thoughts; driver vs. sticks. But OTOH don't ask me about the rest of my game 😡.

• Like 8

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

Stage 3 videos and wrap up being uploaded to my YouTube channel as i type this. My best numbers we on the final 3 swings with the super light yellow speed stick. Hit 95 mph a couple times. I seem to be finding the most speed with the middle green light stick.
My driver speed swings have been hovering around the 85 mph level the last couple weeks. I am seeing some driver issues on the course like a few others have reported.. seems like a few bad habits creep in. Never thought I’d say it, but thank goodness for my short game which is not great either.

Stoked for the continued progress I’m seeing and looking long term I think next spring after a winter of no golf , i will see the most gains.

Thanks again to MGS and Super Speed for this great opportunity

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 8

DRIVER -  Sim Max 10.5 lowered to 9.75-  

Woods -  Callaway Max 3 wood Evenflow Riptide 5.5r 60g  - loving this off the deck 

Taylormade Sim Max 3 wood - Ventus FW 5-r  5 wood-  Ventus 6r 

Rescue/Hybrid -  Sim Max Rescue  4 - 22*   Ventus FW 5-r 

IRONS -  Callaway Mavrik 5- PW, AW   Project X Catalyst 55g Lite Flex

WEDGES-  Cleveland Golf Smart Sole 4.0 Sand Wedge  58*   Cleveland Smart Sole 4.0 Chipping Wedge 42*

PUTTER-  Odyssey Stroke Lab double wide putter 35"

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

11 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Ended week three with a slight improvement over weeks one and two. You can see the numbers in the link at the top of the page. Overall my best numbers were 87 - 91 - 86.  I was actually disappointed. While I made progress over previous weeks, I didn't make progress this week. My best numbers actually came from Week 3, Day 1. I've got to figure out what I did differently on day 1 vs 2 or 3. 

On a different but related note I was able to drive the ball today which was a problem the last 2 outings. I think I missed only 2 out of 18 fairways today and both of those were to the right vs. short. No topping, no sky balls, just my normal straight drives. I just have to separate my swing thoughts; driver vs. sticks. But OTOH don't ask me about the rest of my game 😡.

Keep on keeping on. Not sure if there are dips in this usually. But I know with lifting and most exercises you will tend to see a dip while muscles recover! Either way keep it up!

• Like 3

Check out my review for the :ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal:

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60g

:adams-small: 2H & 4H VST Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW Project X 6.5 LZ 

:cleveland-small: 50, 54, 58 CBX2  Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

19 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

I finished Week 3 on Saturday. The week started well with a personal best driver speed of 117 mph on the first day. The rest of the week, I regressed somewhat. I know some peaks and valleys are to be expected, so I don't consider it a big deal. Especially since I did my session Saturday after running a chain saw for a couple hours (I was trying to be conscious of making sure I did it while I was still somewhat fresh, so I took a break and relaxed for a while, did the protocol, and then went back to cutting). I'll just keep chugging away at it. Here is a chart tracking Driver speed (before and after):

image.png.5c9234eca0e9e14949a5ec93cfe5ec25.png

I think the trend was really nice until sessions 8 and 9 get added, but I know that kind of progress is probably not sustainable.

To me, one of the most noteworthy results of the testing to-date is how good my back feels. It has been a struggle for me to find stretches that helped relieve pressure in a golf swing. It seems the combination of the dynamic warm-up and the protocols is doing exactly what I was looking for. There have been a couple times I've finished the sessions and felt some tightness, but as time goes on, I feel better and better after I'm done.

Your back feeling better is surprising; I hope I get that benefit!  I don't have back pain per se, but after deadlifts, rows, and squats during the week I get pretty stiff...very hard to limber up for a weekend round.

Does there seem to be a common trend as to when most people do the protocols?  I lift aggressively MWF, cardio on T & TH.  The MWF workouts have plenty of ab work, mostly planks and ab wheels.  So, last week (week 1 for me) I did the protocol around 8 pm when I felt reasonably fresh.  My workouts are o'dark-30, I don't know that I want to get up even earlier to do this before.

• Like 4

Driver: :callaway-small:Great Big Bertha Epic, 10.5, Project X HZRDOUS 55g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrid::tour-edge:CBX 119 3H, 18, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: California Monterey 1.5, Superstroke Flatso 1.0 grip

:SuperSpeed:

38 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

I finished Week 3 on Saturday. The week started well with a personal best driver speed of 117 mph on the first day. The rest of the week, I regressed somewhat. I know some peaks and valleys are to be expected, so I don't consider it a big deal. Especially since I did my session Saturday after running a chain saw for a couple hours (I was trying to be conscious of making sure I did it while I was still somewhat fresh, so I took a break and relaxed for a while, did the protocol, and then went back to cutting). I'll just keep chugging away at it. Here is a chart tracking Driver speed (before and after):

I think the trend was really nice until sessions 8 and 9 get added, but I know that kind of progress is probably not sustainable.

To me, one of the most noteworthy results of the testing to-date is how good my back feels. It has been a struggle for me to find stretches that helped relieve pressure in a golf swing. It seems the combination of the dynamic warm-up and the protocols is doing exactly what I was looking for. There have been a couple times I've finished the sessions and felt some tightness, but as time goes on, I feel better and better after I'm done.

This is great stuff! Also my back always feels better after making some swings. 
loosens things right up for me and back pain goes away. I think it’s a sign I need to workout more. 

• Like 4

#MGSCOBRA2020 #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4:  Follow Along here!

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Tensei Pro White 6X

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

:Arccos:

Those before and after coming together will happen periodically. I am not to proud to say I've had a couple before swings be faster then my after swings. Sometimes the workout just zaps me and by the last swings I'm on E.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, B.Boston said:

This is great stuff! Also my back always feels better after making some swings. 
loosens things right up for me and back pain goes away. I think it’s a sign I need to workout more. 

Prior to the pandemic, my wife and I usually made it to the gym 2-3 times per week. I tried to find a bunch of golf-specific exercises to strengthen my core, knowing I need more core strength to help relieve my back pain, but I never really felt like I was making progress. Prior to about two weeks ago, the dull pain/tightness was almost always there, no matter what I was doing, but especially after golf. Now, I barely feel anything in random day-to-day activities and the degree of tightness after golfing is definitely improved. I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

@Getoffmylawn - I aim for MWF to do the protocols, trying to be consistent and doing them around 7 PM, but have had to make a couple adjustments for weather.

• Like 8

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

On 5/10/2020 at 7:49 PM, ChasingScratch said:

@tony@CIC @ChasingScratch Long Drive Professionals can teach us a lot about how to hit the ball farther. Really fun to watch them! As you both mentioned their main goal is to create the maximum amount of speed and distance as possible and try to get one of those ball in the grid. Due to the length of their drivers at just under 49 inches and loft of the driver below 5 degrees this makes accuracy much harder. 

Technology has really helped faster swing speeds maintain accuracy in the normal game. The way the balls and heads are designed compared to 20 years ago drops spin and maintains launch much differently. You’re seeing guys like Cameron Champ and Bryson DeChambeau able to swing over 130 mph and keep the ball in play and win. 

Long drive competitions sometimes come down to who can hit the grid. I’ve seen lots of competitors lose because they simply never got a single ball in play.

It seems that the faster/farther you hit it (at the extreme levels), you potentially bring in more danger with misses.

• Like 3

On 5/12/2020 at 12:00 PM, ChasingScratch said:

@ChasingScratch Great point here Tony! All testers and anyone else, don’t be afraid to use a different grip on the non dominant side. It could be overlap interlock or even a ten finger grip. Also if not already try a glove on the non dominant side as well. It helps tremendously! 

That is encouraging lol. I need to adjust my grip on the no dominant side. My thumb is it having it.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 8:02 AM, tony@CIC said:

@tony@CIC we have recommended just to do the standing swings on the dominant side. The reason being we try to make things as simple as possible with the protocols and tracking. However if you feel comfortable you can add the non dominant swings as well. If you’d like to track the step change swings too that is fine but we don’t want to get you bogged down with tracking so much each session. Kind of up to you but it doesn’t hurt. 

Current and former testers along with @SuperSpeed Golf: I'm adapting @B.Boston spreadsheet for capturing data. The question I have is how important is it to capture data for each side (dominant/non-dominant) and for each exercise regular, step change, etc. Or do you just capture the highest SS number for each of the clubs per day. I'm data oriented but on the other hand don't want to spend time capturing data that won't provide value in the future.  

• Like 2

Really concerned about patterns I am seeing on the course after my round sunday (I shot 88, my worst round in probably 5 years) and my range session today.  I simply cannot square my face.  My hands are getting very disconnected from my body and it's causing in out to in swing path with an open face that I just can't get a hang of.  The speed gains on the radar or real, but the yardage on the course (especially with my irons) isnt there to show for it because I keep flaring everything to the left.

Unfortunately due to Covid, I cannot work with my instructor right now so it is extremely frustrating.  I havent hit a fade in over 6 years, but since beginning Super Speed training, my relatively neutral/draw flight has turned into fades and slices. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 Plus Ping 9* VA Nemesys 65FIVE
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* VA Vylyn 75FIVE
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49 F - 54 S - 59 D
:mizuno-small: M Craft I
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

Really concerned about patterns I am seeing on the course after my round sunday (I shot 88, my worst round in probably 5 years) and my range session today.  I simply cannot square my face.  My hands are getting very disconnected from my body and it's causing in out to in swing path with an open face that I just can't get a hang of.  The speed gains on the radar or real, but the yardage on the course (especially with my irons) isnt there to show for it because I keep flaring everything to the left.
Unfortunately due to Covid, I cannot work with my instructor right now so it is extremely frustrating.  I havent hit a fade in over 6 years, but since beginning Super Speed training, my relatively neutral/draw flight has turned into fades and slices. 
For me it took a while to get adjusted on the course with my driver and 3w. I use both off the tee and my 3w is supposed to be my accurate alternative. What I did was went back to old videos vs new videos to see where my difference was. For me it was coming out of my posture and swinging over the top. Had to just revert back to what I was doing well beforehand.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, jlukes said:

If I remember correctly you and I had some of the same swing faults (not open enough at impact). If I remember incorrectly then this doesn't mean anything.

I have found that as I get more open at impact the ball flight definitely changes because my path changes. More pronounced with the irons vs driver. Could it be something along these lines and it is just a timing issue?

• Like 3

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.5* (Ventus Black 6X) 45"

:taylormade-small:             M5 15* (Ventus Black 7x) 43"

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* (Tensei AV Blue 70 X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-AW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

On 5/15/2020 at 3:05 AM, YKodvavi said:

@YKodvavi the PRGR we sell doesn’t measure in meters per second. There was an old Japan version that had that and a calorie counter. 

we have a modification for those who don’t feel comfortable kneeling on our site. It’s a narrow stance standing swing.

I feel you! I breezed through Level 1 and made decent progress, but 1 week into the Level 2 Protocol and having to kneel got me to just give up. 

I just got myself a PRGR Launch Monitor and that's got me excited to start the program again and hopefully not give up this time around. 

Anyone here know how to change the unit on the PRGR? Change from MPH to M/S? I've been trying to figure it out but can't seem to find anything about that.