2020 Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Training System

Message added by GolfSpy STUDque

Follow our testers' progress live at the following Google Sheet: CLICK HERE

Our Sponsors

1 hour ago, RollingGreens said:

Wanted to pose a question to testers using the super speed training system, is anyone experiencing an increasing in low back pain or any other joint related pathology since beginning the training protocols? I am a physical therapist and am interested in learning more about protocols and how I can apply it to my patients in the future

I am one who has seen a lot of relief in my lower back. For the past few years, I have had near constant pain/discomfort of varying degrees, especially in the right-side SI area. I have seen chiropractors, done a variety of stretches, and started going to the gym regularly with the goal of strengthening my core and improving flexibility. While there has been some relief, the combination of the warm-up and protocols has given me, by far, the most relief. If I gained no speed, I would still be happy with the program for this reason alone.

Like @cnosil, my hands are pretty sore, but I don't think it is protocol-specific, rather related to the fact that I believe I am developing minor arthritis and the shear number of swings I am taking in a week when you combine the protocols with my usual amount of golf.

• Like 5

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all! We wanted to thank everyone for the huge response the previous forum thread has received since 2018. We will be on this new one to answer questions and assist however we can. We look forward t

May 11th - Introduction & Initial Impressions My name is Joe, I turn 36 in June and I am from New Jersey.  At the end of 2019 my handicap was around 3.9 My typical well-struck driv

Hey guys! Thanks for all the sweet words and suggestions. I am soooo excited to get started and have been looking to buy some of these for my birthday coming up. So the fact I was chosen is the best e

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

I am one who has seen a lot of relief in my lower back. For the past few years, I have had near constant pain/discomfort of varying degrees, especially in the right-side SI area. I have seen chiropractors, done a variety of stretches, and started going to the gym regularly with the goal of strengthening my core and improving flexibility. While there has been some relief, the combination of the warm-up and protocols has given me, by far, the most relief. If I gained no speed, I would still be happy with the program for this reason alone.

Like @cnosil, my hands are pretty sore, but I don't think it is protocol-specific, rather related to the fact that I believe I am developing minor arthritis and the shear number of swings I am taking in a week when you combine the protocols with my usual amount of golf.

Would you contemplate switching to a larger grip with the swing speed protocols to combat the arthritic changes since the swing volume is so high

• Like 3

:titelist-small: TS3 8.5 D Hazardous Smoke Black

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-GW Nippon Modus 120

:vokey-small: SM7 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold

:odyssey-small:  Double Wide Stroke Lab 2019

:Snell: MTB-X Golf Ball

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

15 hours ago, tchat07 said:

100% agree. This is actually a question for the whole group, at what point in the program should I go get fitted? 1st jump, 2nd jump, at an extended plateau?

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Great question!  In my case, I'm really still a novice, so inefficiency in my ball striking is probably as big a factor for someone like me as speed.  I kinda think getting my technique in a bit better shape is probably a better focus before a fitting, but would be interested in what more experienced players have to say about that.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, RollingGreens said:

Would you contemplate switching to a larger grip with the swing speed protocols to combat the arthritic changes since the swing volume is so high

That's sounds like a pretty good idea. Even though I wear medium gloves, I have gone to midsize grips on my clubs because it is more comfortable to my hands. I will consider changing the grips after the official review is done and see if that helps. My hands never really hurt after all the swinging, it's more a stiff feeling. I am strongly considering trying some CBD oil/cream just to see if that helps.

I also need to get some rain gloves - I switch gloves through the protocols, but my hands get so sweaty that i feel like I am death-gripping the clubs at times so I don't launch a stick into the woods. I'm planning on getting some tonight after work.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tchat07 said:

100% agree. This is actually a question for the whole group, at what point in the program should I go get fitted? 1st jump, 2nd jump, at an extended plateau?

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

To me, it would make the most sense when we hit an extended plateau. If I had a pile of money to burn, it would be an interesting exercise to see how the fit changes throughout the process - before, first jump, second jump, plateau.

• Like 1

Wanted to pose a question to testers using the super speed training system, is anyone experiencing an increasing in low back pain or any other joint related pathology since beginning the training protocols? I am a physical therapist and am interested in learning more about protocols and how I can apply it to my patients in the future

I actually had an injury in my lower back.  I honestly think that it was a combination of doing too much.  I was on a low calorie fat-loss plan, working out 5 days per week (lifting weights and rowing) and doing the SuperSpeed training.  I think it was overuse. 

• Like 4

Instagram:  @_chasing_scratch

YouTube: Chasing Scratch

Facebook:  Chasing Scratch

:SuperSpeed: Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small: G400 LST 8.5* with HZRDUS SMOKE 6.5 70g 

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  Vokey SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4, 32.5", 1* loft

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV

11 hours ago, twyatt700 said:

I would do it at the extended plateau. Also keep in mind that dry swings/range speed takes longer to translate to the course. At least it did for me. There is a memory our body has and I think off the tee takes the longest translate. I tend to swing softer on the course to ensure the accuracy given I play on a lot of wooden/tight courses. I think if you keep at it you’ll see a big improvement in the overall game. @ChasingSratch is spit on those. I switched shafts to a x and was about 10-15 yard farther.

Added the bold for emphasis because I'm finally seeing the speed increases transfer to the course and it's been something like 16 months since I did my first SuperSpeed workout.

I do suspect that if you have a pretty reliable swing, the results will translate faster. I've been taking lessons since November and that has dramatically helped my confidence level, which in turn lets me feel a little more freedom in my swing to increase the speed.

• Like 7

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.7 (Last Updated Nov. 27, 2020)

Driver: cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 Hybrid Stiff
19° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone 4 Iron, 2° Flat, 39.75", X-Caliber Rapid Taper 75g Stiff
22° Hybrid:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING F8, 38.5", Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff
5-GW:  
maltby_logo.png.c889f4bebd3ab94fe9c37e77ba6c0c55.png Maltby PTM Chrome, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" (54°), -1/4" (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3°
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos / Cobra Connect
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Being 58, everything is a bit more ache-y than it used to be 😉 .  But I have to say I haven't experienced any new soreness directly related to the SS protocols, I think because when I went through them before (Dec '18 - May '19, Oct '19 - Jan '20) I had been going to the gym on a regular basis, so it didn't seem like I was adding much additional stress.  I started up again a couple of weeks ago after having halfheartedly been doing some body-weight exercises at home for about a month, but had been hitting balls into a net as well (maybe 40-50 a day, 3 or 4 days a week - having to work from home full time has been a great opportunity to practice a bit between rounds).

Anyway, my left (non-dominant side) shoulder blade/upper arm area has been a bit sore, but that started with hitting balls in the backyard before starting the protocols.  It hasn't gotten any worse from the protocols, and isn't bad enough to stop - I mainly feel it at night because I sleep on my side.  One thing that helps is using a lacrosse ball to hit the tight spots between my shoulder blades (by lying on it).  Hope that's useful.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, edingc said:

Added the bold for emphasis because I'm finally seeing the speed increases transfer to the course and it's been something like 16 months since I did my first SuperSpeed workout.

I do suspect that if you have a pretty reliable swing, the results will translate faster. I've been taking lessons since November and that has dramatically helped my confidence level, which in turn lets me feel a little more freedom in my swing to increase the speed.

You make a great point about how confidence level is a big part of this; for me, that's one of the biggest things I've learned from going through the protocols.

• Like 3

I’ve not had any issues and I’ll be honest .... I don’t do the entire warm up all the time as I usually do this after I run or have worked out recently so I feel good to go. I could certainly see where doing this cold could really hurt

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 6

DRIVER -  Sim Max 10.5 lowered to 9.75 Ventus Red 5 S  shaft 

Woods -  Taylormade Sim Ti 3wood - Diamana reg 65

Taylormade  5 wood-  Ventus 6r 

Rescue/Hybrid -  

IRONS -  Callaway Mavrik 6- PW, AW   KBS 80 R steel 

WEDGES-  Vokey SM 8   50/54/58 

PUTTER-  Odyssey Stroke Lab Bird of Prey. 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

Played 9 holes last night and really struggled with the driver again. Was not the best conditions out but really felt off on form and seen a few bad habits creeping back in. Going to try and get into a lesson over the next couple days and see if I can get the speed and the control working for good again and not evil.

• Like 5

DRIVER -  Sim Max 10.5 lowered to 9.75 Ventus Red 5 S  shaft 

Woods -  Taylormade Sim Ti 3wood - Diamana reg 65

Taylormade  5 wood-  Ventus 6r 

Rescue/Hybrid -  

IRONS -  Callaway Mavrik 6- PW, AW   KBS 80 R steel 

WEDGES-  Vokey SM 8   50/54/58 

PUTTER-  Odyssey Stroke Lab Bird of Prey. 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

Just finished my 3rd session of the Level 1 Week 4 protocol.

I tried moving the PRGR to where ball position would be but just couldn't get it it read anything.  Maybe I was swinging too high above it, will need to play around with the height.

Still felt really fast on quite a few swings today.  I know that I "feel" faster, but again, the numbers stay the same.

Hope to have the review video posted tonight or tomorrow sometime. 

• Like 4

WITB:

Here are some downswing photos for fun:

Level 1 - Week 4 - Day 3 - Driver

downswing1.png.43bcd50130f4f0b12c7b8b8620f418d0.png

downswing2.png.abacced8bb99faeafa018752592dde71.png

downswing3.png.23b883412004d5e16a9f8f9842ce8a57.png

downswing4.png.cab381422915e5bd3697ca43e3f19c22.png

downswing5.png.16d3ecc9265c24c1b047da1f6bf52ad9.png

downswing6.png.fc666b2f41928d66fcd83f6ed7a63533.png

downswing7.png.76d0ab1382cc46c96a25ec9b25b8c449.png

I'm going to play around with raising the PRGR up higher.  I noticed as I was putting together my review video that I was swinging way above it when I tried to place it at ball position.

• Like 3

WITB:

10 hours ago, ChasingScratch said:

I tried moving the PRGR to where ball position would be but just couldn't get it it read anything.  Maybe I was swinging too high above it, will need to play around with the height.

Are you talking about putting the radar face-on instead of down the line? I messed around a little bit tonight. Since I do my swings on my deck, I tried setting the radar on the step leading into your house and it seemed to pick things up better. I'm going to try it ahead of ball position tomorrow and see what happens.

• Like 3

Are you talking about putting the radar face-on instead of down the line? I messed around a little bit tonight. Since I do my swings on my deck, I tried setting the radar on the step leading into your house and it seemed to pick things up better. I'm going to try it ahead of ball position tomorrow and see what happens.

Yes, face on off my left foot, just where a ball tee’d up would be if I was hitting driver.

I couldn’t get it to read that way, but I think I may have been swinging too high over it.

The rationale for moving it is that the fastest part of the swing is at or just after the ball, so I may be getting the same readings over and over because it is not catching the fastest part of the swing. But who knows, maybe I’m just not any faster.

• Like 5

WITB:

23 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

I'll chime in on this, too, though I'm not an official tester. 

I haven't had any pain resulting directly from use of the sticks, but as I'm getting older I'm finding that swinging all out really causes some soreness in my upper and lower back the next day. This happens whether I'm using the sticks or hitting a bunch of drivers at the range, however, so like I said above, it's not just the sticks.

I think next offseason I need to work more on my upper back to allow it to support more of these swings. Deadlifts, rows, etc.

In the past two seasons I've also tweaked some muscles in my upper back (rhombus/trap? - both sides), but that happened with regular golf swings. Last year I did have to take a break from the protocols for about a month though while I let it rest. I was at least still able to golf.

Otherwise, I've split the tip of my right middle finger a few times, but that's the result of my right ring finger being crooked (baseball injury) and rubbing against the middle finger during the swing. 

• Like 5

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.7 (Last Updated Nov. 27, 2020)

Driver: cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 Hybrid Stiff
19° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone 4 Iron, 2° Flat, 39.75", X-Caliber Rapid Taper 75g Stiff
22° Hybrid:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING F8, 38.5", Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff
5-GW:  
maltby_logo.png.c889f4bebd3ab94fe9c37e77ba6c0c55.png Maltby PTM Chrome, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" (54°), -1/4" (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3°
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos / Cobra Connect
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

23 minutes ago, edingc said:

I think next offseason I need to work more on my upper back to allow it to support more of these swings. Deadlifts, rows, etc.

***This!!!***  

• Like 4
23 hours ago, ChasingScratch said:

I actually had an injury in my lower back.  I honestly think that it was a combination of doing too much.  I was on a low calorie fat-loss plan, working out 5 days per week (lifting weights and rowing) and doing the SuperSpeed training.  I think it was overuse. 

I've been there.  So easy to over-do it, but if you're training that hard, make sure to eat enough!  It's always been hard for me to get stronger and leaner simultaneously. 

Per Bryson, no less than 12 Protein shakes a day!

• Like 3

:honma: 💣Driver: Honma TR20 440 8.5° w/ Vizard FP-7X SHAFT - REVIEW POSTED 💣

:adams-small:3 Wood:  Adams TightLies Titanium 3+  - Shaft Bassara E55 x5ct

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 2.  16.5°-  Stock Shaft- Stiff

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

:odyssey-small:Putter: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth- Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip

:taylormade-small:Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Lifestyle Carry bag- Houndstooth

I've been there.  So easy to over-do it, but if you're training that hard, make sure to eat enough!  It's always been hard for me to get stronger and leaner simultaneously. 
Per Bryson, no less than 12 Protein shakes a day!

I think that was exactly it. Just too much at one time with a huge caloric deficit. I wasn’t concerned about strength, just had the fat loss goal. I just pushed too hard for too long.

My wife is a certified personal trainer and I taught strength training at Texas A&M during my graduate work, so I know better, but when your eye is on the prize it is easy to do things you know you ought not to.

• Like 4

WITB:

A little late to the party on Protocol ! mini-review, but as they say better late then never. As many of you are aware I'm at the low end of swing speed as it would be expected at 73, but that hasn't deterred me from working on increasing it. At the same time I'm reminded of a quote "careful what you ask for". The reason being, that like other aspects of life, this requires a commitment to stay with the program. I will say that being an Official Tester" is an additional motivator, since I don't want to let down my fellow testers and readers.  If I wasn't an 'Official Tester' there might be a  day or two where I would have skipped the workout - just sayin.😎

For most readers, my stats might be a bit boring since I'm not swinging these sticks at 125, or even 100 mph. I started at a lowly 70's with a commitment to get into the mid to high 90's (driver speed). So instead of showing absolute numbers, the following table shows percentage increase from the start of the program to the end of protocol 1. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the progress and surprisingly the non-dominant hand is coming on strong. 

percentage_p1.jpg.50be4fa8ecf5232e2b595482343d6c46.jpg

The actual speed graph looks a bit schizophrenic with wild ups and downs, however, there is an upward trend line. I'm not sure if those ups and downs are part of the normal process or a function of when I did the program or how I felt. 363939412_Superspeedgraph_p1.jpg.783af281ec458456e6deb693341625e4.jpg

I haven't taken the LM to the course for actual driver SS measurements, but I know it's longer just by gauging where my ball lands on the course I play regularly. Some other observations: about halfway through the program, I was topping the ball with my driver - a few trips to the range and adjustments to how I swing the sticks, corrected that. Also, lately, I've found myself slicing the ball (my power fade 😁), that was a grip/alignment issue which I fixed this week. 

After a week in Protocol 2, I've found that I'm still somewhat plateaued, however, today I actually saw my non-dominant hand #'s higher than dominant. There might be some right handed clubs in my future? Naw just kidding!

Can't wait for the 'jump' - onward and upward - 90's Driver SS here I come! 

• Like 8

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy