2020 Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Training System

Message added by STUDque

Follow our testers' progress live at the following Google Sheet: CLICK HERE

Our Sponsors

6 hours ago, TaketheCannoli said:

Great post!

Speaking of injuries, has anyone had some persistent lower back pain start while using the Super Speed sticks?

I had a lower back injury two weeks into the training.  It set me back a few weeks.  To be fair, and I documented this throughout the forum, but I was doing a lot all at once:  rowing daily, weight lifting daily, SuperSpeed, and lowered calories for fat loss..... so it was mainly just overuse for me.

• Like 5

Instagram:  @_chasing_scratch

YouTube: Chasing Scratch

Facebook:  Chasing Scratch

:SuperSpeed: Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small: G400 LST 8.5* with HZRDUS SMOKE 6.5 70g 

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  Vokey SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4, 32.5", 1* loft

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all! We wanted to thank everyone for the huge response the previous forum thread has received since 2018. We will be on this new one to answer questions and assist however we can. We look forward t

May 11th - Introduction & Initial Impressions My name is Joe, I turn 36 in June and I am from New Jersey.  At the end of 2019 my handicap was around 3.9 My typical well-struck driv

Hey guys! Thanks for all the sweet words and suggestions. I am soooo excited to get started and have been looking to buy some of these for my birthday coming up. So the fact I was chosen is the best e

Posted Images

18 hours ago, ChasingScratch said:

I had a lower back injury two weeks into the training.  It set me back a few weeks.  To be fair, and I documented this throughout the forum, but I was doing a lot all at once:  rowing daily, weight lifting daily, SuperSpeed, and lowered calories for fat loss..... so it was mainly just overuse for me.

FWIW, I read an article about managing lower back pain today, and it stressed activity. Based on that I did my session of protocol 1. My speeds were down a bit from early this week, but magically my back feels much better! 

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/8/4/15929484/chronic-back-pain-treatment-mainstream-vs-alternative?utm_campaign=vox.social&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=voxdotcom&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR2doCVoqe-OgBs6X9NfHI2thJue1bPtP_JRkrGn8a0uRYPcZCbsuZzTKg0

I also tried the "McGill Big Thee Back Exercises"

Mods, please accept my sincere apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

• Like 4

It looks like a good day to play golf!

Since I drove 9.5 hours yesterday, it took me a while to warm up today. I started a little on the slow side, but finished well. After driver swings were 116, 116, 119, 119, 117. I really felt like I was going to crack the 120 barrier, but at least i was fairly consistent.

• Like 7

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

17 hours ago, TaketheCannoli said:

FWIW, I read an article about managing lower back pain today, and it stressed activity. Based on that I did my session of protocol 1. My speeds were down a bit from early this week, but magically my back feels much better! 

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/8/4/15929484/chronic-back-pain-treatment-mainstream-vs-alternative?utm_campaign=vox.social&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=voxdotcom&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR2doCVoqe-OgBs6X9NfHI2thJue1bPtP_JRkrGn8a0uRYPcZCbsuZzTKg0

I also tried the "McGill Big Thee Back Exercises"

Mods, please accept my sincere apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

Interesting article!  I've been very fortunate in that I've never had any issues with lower back pain, just really some occasion discomfort from sitting too long in a bad chair, that kind of thing.  I've always found that some exercise involving my lower back helps when that happens, so I think my experience matches up with the article.  I know a couple of guys that swear by deadlifts for lower back pain, as long as your form is correct.

• Like 2
Since I drove 9.5 hours yesterday, it took me a while to warm up today. I started a little on the slow side, but finished well. After driver swings were 116, 116, 119, 119, 117. I really felt like I was going to crack the 120 barrier, but at least i was fairly consistent.

Have you gotten on a launch monitor to see if your driver spin has increased drastically? Could be missing out on lots of distance if your shaft/head combo isn’t low spin enough at those speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Had a good day today - speed back into the 90's - it's amazing what a good nights sleep and cooler weather can do.  

• Like 7

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Had a decent night. Seems like I am settling in a bit. Not getting those super high numbers, but do feel a bit stiff. Been a long week and not surprised at the numbers being where they are. Another hot day here so wore two gloves which helped. Did a full video which I'll edit and post in the next couple days when I have a decent internet connection!

• Like 3

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)

The kids wanted to see how fast they could swing. So naturally I grabbed one of their clubs and tried to see how fast I could swing it

• Like 5

WITB:

On 8/14/2020 at 8:34 PM, ChasingScratch said:

How is your back now? 

• Like 2

2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag Official tester

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

MGS Fantasy football league

Unofficial - Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme

Unofficial Review - Honma TR21 4 Wood by xOldBenKenobiX

Instagram tagging contest Crew

Drivers :titelist-small:  - TS2 10.5*, :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5

Woods :titelist-small: TS2 3HL. :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60 shaft.

Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes: a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

Right Handed, Southeast Michigan

Honk If you see these plates around. 

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I'm always driving around Michigan. 

The Ohio and Pennsylvania's turnpike as well as around Baltimore, Maryland. 

Grip it and rip it my friends. 

How is your back now? 

Much better. I still get some tightness every now and then, but it’s not like it was when I let really couldn’t move without it seizing up. Still need stretching and rehabilitation exercises to keep it linger and strong.

• Like 1

WITB:

8 hours ago, ChasingScratch said:

Have you gotten on a launch monitor to see if your driver spin has increased drastically? Could be missing out on lots of distance if your shaft/head combo isn’t low spin enough at those speeds.

I have not. My biggest concern about my driver since the Bridgestone test a couple years ago has been the high launch and high spin. I've only had it on a LM once a while back. We didn't get fit for those, just a few no-upcharge shafts to pick from. I'm just guessing, but I feel like launch is even higher now, so it's definitely something I need to sort out as time goes on.

• Like 2

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

On 8/14/2020 at 8:34 PM, ChasingScratch said:

What did you do to heal it? How do you feel now?

18 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Had a good day today - speed back into the 90's - it's amazing what a good nights sleep and cooler weather can do.  

That's awesome Tony. You keep proving there is hope for us old guys!

• Like 4

What did you do to heal it? How do you feel now?

Rest at first until I could actually move a bit. I saw a chiropractor a day or so after the initial injury. Then it was light weight rehab exercises for a few weeks. I did a lot of leg raises to strengthen glute and lower back where it was hurt.

• Like 2

WITB:

On 8/14/2020 at 8:08 PM, MaxEntropy said:

I'm actually the opposite. For the last five-ish years my lower back has been a bit of a mess. I believe the combination of the dynamic warmup and protocols have very beneficial for my particular issue. Obviously your mileage may vary.

Funny you say that. After reading that article, I began exercising my back. I did my Super Speed protocol 1 sessions Saturday and today. Both times it immediately loosened my back and the pain went away. Saturday my speeds were slow, but today I reached a couple of new highs. Of course my highs- mid 90s are slower than most of the testers starting point 🙂

Edited by TaketheCannoli
  • Like 4

On 8/12/2020 at 6:16 PM, MaxEntropy said:

Since @ChasingScratch posted the @SuperSpeed Golf chart, I've been doing some thinking....

Perhaps SuperSpeed can chime in (and anyone else who may have an idea, of course).

My recollection was the second jump typically happened late in the second protocol. Since that was clearly wrong and it's more like late third/early fourth protocol (I'll be starting level 3 next week), what is going on with me? Is it possible that my swing was so out of whack mechanically that I'm still experiencing the first jump and it's just taking me longer to sort out the mechanical components required to go faster? What I had interpreted as the plateau seemed more like the regression that @revkev mentioned, so I had assumed the second jump was here. Here is an up-to-date chart for my driver speeds since the beginning. Since there have been some peaks and valleys, this data is a 5-session moving average to try to smooth out some of the noise. For the last 3-5 weeks, there has been a pretty steady climb. Is it possible I am at the second jump a little early? I suppose a third alternative is that things have finally settled down some so this is really just the first plateau?

image.png.afd8f0ead672fb6f52aa5b4a15c6d065.png

Here is the raw data, before averaging.

image.png.ba3495e59c2a222d21c4fd28cc9e51fd.png

@MaxEntropy agree with what @ChasingScratch said here about this. The peaks and plateaus chart we put together is the average we see after logging thousands of golfers over a 7 year period. That is also the same with the average speed percentage increases we see. However there are always outliers. It’s great that you’re seeing another nice jump happing now. 

Did you test yourself yet on the Advanced Speed Drills?

• Like 2