2020 Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Training System

Message added by STUDque

Follow our testers' progress live at the following Google Sheet: CLICK HERE

Our Sponsors

1 hour ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to prove a point...I'm still doing the non-dominant swings too, largely because I have to believe SuperSpeed has some legitimate reasons to make them part of the protocols.  Just thought it was a worthwhile addition to the conversation.

I truly appreciate the fact that you posted it - we should have these types of counter discussions - I love the way people talk about science as if its absolute - science posses a theory and then asks questions to test the theory, those theories are often in flux as more data comes in.  Great stuff - thanks!

• Like 2

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all! We wanted to thank everyone for the huge response the previous forum thread has received since 2018. We will be on this new one to answer questions and assist however we can. We look forward t

May 11th - Introduction & Initial Impressions My name is Joe, I turn 36 in June and I am from New Jersey.  At the end of 2019 my handicap was around 3.9 My typical well-struck driv

Hey guys! Thanks for all the sweet words and suggestions. I am soooo excited to get started and have been looking to buy some of these for my birthday coming up. So the fact I was chosen is the best e

Posted Images

On 2/11/2021 at 1:32 PM, Getoffmylawn said:
Are you doing all 3 of the Orange Whip protocols as part of your warm up?
I've had a really hard time getting loose for SS myself, largely because it's in the negatives temperature wise and I'm doing SS in an unheated garage.  I do the SS warm-up protocol faithfully but I'm thinking I'm going to add a little OW work too to try and really loosen up, at least the first torso-turning OW drill, and then maybe the one-arms.

I don't use a specific OW protocol - just swinging it about 50 times starting out slowly and then accelerating progressively. I found that just using the SS without it screwed up my driver swing - the OW helps me maintain it. 

• Like 3

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Picked up another set of Speed Sticks and I'm jumping back in. Now that we sold our condo and moved back in with my mom while we try to find a house, I have a backyard and can actually take swings without having to travel anywhere.

tenor.gif?itemid=4552859

• Like 6

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Motore X F3 5S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue 75S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Modus 3 115 Wedge

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1, 34.5", BGT Stability Tour, 71* lie angle, Press II 3* Grip

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

17 minutes ago, yungkory said:

Picked up another set of Speed Sticks and I'm jumping back in. Now that we sold our condo and moved back in with my mom while we try to find a house, I have a backyard and can actually take swings without having to travel anywhere.

tenor.gif?itemid=4552859

image.png.ef3553b6664884920dbcf00db2664c78.png

Good luck with the training I have enjoyed them so far.

• Like 4

:SuperSpeed: Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

:cobra-small: Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:Hogan: Equalizer 52° (at 54°)/ 56° (at 58°) KBS Tour V 110 Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small:  Cleveland SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

:ping-small: Hoofer Bag

Right Handed

I searched the thread for "PRGR" and couldn't find an answer so here goes...

I noticed in a few of the reviews, like @jlukes's for example, the PRGR was on a little tripod. Was this recommended to you by @SuperSpeed Golf? How high off the ground if so? Going to start (for the second time in 2 years) the protocols tomorrow. Thanks everyone!

• Like 3

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1, 34.5", BGT Stability Tour, 71* lie angle, Press II 3* Grip

4 hours ago, yungkory said:

I noticed in a few of the reviews, like @jlukes's for example, the PRGR was on a little tripod. Was this recommended to you by @SuperSpeed Golf? How high off the ground if so? Going to start (for the second time in 2 years) the protocols tomorrow. Thanks everyone!

What most of us found that was if there was grass or anything close to in front of the PRGR it would give inconsistent readings. I simply put mine on the box it came in and that was sufficient enough, however it is good to have it raised to a level where anything on the ground won't intercept any readings. 
You may have looked or noticed that the setup of it can take some time and be a little tricky, where I have a bit more of a inside out swing I had to place it appropriately for that (I also had the speed radar so I could compare). It looked a bit of a odd spot, but I got good readings from it in that specific spot which were consistent.  
A little tripod would be great, I believe the one jlukes had was the adjustable legs? Either way a great solution to raise it up, but again a simple solution is just using the box.. or cutting the grass? haha

• Like 2

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)

6 hours ago, yungkory said:

I did all my protocols on a range mat I have, so I made sure the monitor was raised up so it was above the range mat level

• Like 4

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 59D
:scotty-small: Phantom X 5.5 (2021)
:titelist-small: ProV1
6 hours ago, Apolloshowl said:

What most of us found that was if there was grass or anything close to in front of the PRGR it would give inconsistent readings. I simply put mine on the box it came in and that was sufficient enough, however it is good to have it raised to a level where anything on the ground won't intercept any readings. 
You may have looked or noticed that the setup of it can take some time and be a little tricky, where I have a bit more of a inside out swing I had to place it appropriately for that (I also had the speed radar so I could compare). It looked a bit of a odd spot, but I got good readings from it in that specific spot which were consistent.  
A little tripod would be great, I believe the one jlukes had was the adjustable legs? Either way a great solution to raise it up, but again a simple solution is just using the box.. or cutting the grass? haha

4 hours ago, jlukes said:

I did all my protocols on a range mat I have, so I made sure the monitor was raised up so it was above the range mat level

Thanks dudes!

1 hour ago, yungkory said:

Thanks dudes!

Here's a pic of the small tripod I use for the PRGR monitor. Works great since it's compact and I can easily take it to the range for driver work or back yard for SS work. IMG_7898.JPG.13b1b496db0496bcf27c166feb141224.JPG

• Like 4

Left Hand orientation

Cobra King F-9  5 wood

So, I've opined on this thread that, in my opinion, while it was helpful it wasn't absolutely necessary to have a radar to successfully pursue SuperSpeed training.  It's only right that I eat some crow, apologize to a few like @tony@CIC, and admit I was wrong...dead wrong.

My theory that I could make up for lack of a measuring device with effort and persistence did not appear to hold water.  If anyone has followed my offseason training thread you'll know I've beat the hell out of myself in the weight room, and have worked my way up to Level 4 SuperSpeed protocols, but did the latter absent a speed measuring device despite the sage wisdom of many on here.  

To say I've wasted my time would be inaccurate, but the speed gains have not been commensurate with the time or effort invested, so much so that I'm going back to the drawing board and starting all over at Level 1, plus a C Club protocol.  (I am trying to figure out how to work in some Single Arm work, but that's another conversation.)  This time, I have a radar.

Let this be a lesson to any other stubborn jack@sses like myself...get the damn radar.

Having gotten that off my chest...I did want to ask a question...many of you have described the benefit of the radar as helping you to identify what produces a fast swing versus simply a harder swing.  Can any of describe exactly what it was/is tangibly that you learned in your swing to produce greater speeds?  I keep waiting for the epiphany or realization to hit me, but for now I'm searching.  Case in point, on my C Club Max Out swings this morning at the end of the protocol, I had a 10 mph variance from the first swing to the second, and I can't honestly tell you what I physically did different at all.  Searching a bit.

• Like 7

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :titelist-small: TS3 3 & 4H, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER7B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

12 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

So, I've opined on this thread that, in my opinion, while it was helpful it wasn't absolutely necessary to have a radar to successfully pursue SuperSpeed training.  It's only right that I eat some crow, apologize to a few like @tony@CIC, and admit I was wrong...dead wrong.

My theory that I could make up for lack of a measuring device with effort and persistence did not appear to hold water.  If anyone has followed my offseason training thread you'll know I've beat the hell out of myself in the weight room, and have worked my way up to Level 4 SuperSpeed protocols, but did the latter absent a speed measuring device despite the sage wisdom of many on here.  

To say I've wasted my time would be inaccurate, but the speed gains have not been commensurate with the time or effort invested, so much so that I'm going back to the drawing board and starting all over at Level 1, plus a C Club protocol.  (I am trying to figure out how to work in some Single Arm work, but that's another conversation.)  This time, I have a radar.

Let this be a lesson to any other stubborn jack@sses like myself...get the damn radar.

Having gotten that off my chest...I did want to ask a question...many of you have described the benefit of the radar as helping you to identify what produces a fast swing versus simply a harder swing.  Can any of describe exactly what it was/is tangibly that you learned in your swing to produce greater speeds?  I keep waiting for the epiphany or realization to hit me, but for now I'm searching.  Case in point, on my C Club Max Out swings this morning at the end of the protocol, I had a 10 mph variance from the first swing to the second, and I can't honestly tell you what I physically did different at all.  Searching a bit.

I'm all in on this post. As I've suggested elsewhere, if I had to choose between having sticks and having a radar to gain speed, I'd likely go with the radar.

Here's a couple of things that have been crucial for me, as I'm trying to learn the difference between mere effort and speed:

• Get my hands pulled as high as possible on the backswing. My thought here is taken from a Fit For Golf workout: I imagine an elastic band anchored at the ball position, and on the backswing, I'm turning and pulling up and away, pulling that "band" as tight as I can.
  • Then (at least for me): wait. This is the biggest thing the radar taught me. I'm not talking a Hideki-class pause. But I have to feel the shaft and head finish their backswing before pulling down. If I start early, I'm fighting the club. I'll pull really hard, but I will never get my fastest speeds like this.
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 X
:callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 15°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 S
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 18.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:adams-small: XTD Proto dHy 21°, Aldila Green NV Hybrid 105 S
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab EXO Seven Mini, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Full WITB with pictures

19 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I have found that personally the effort does not line up. When I try to swing hard I usually lose a few more mph than when I feel the focus is speed.

Also for another feel it's getting the energy from the ground to the swing earlier. If you get some drive into the ground getting that to a vertical force earlier than you think gets the best results. Mark Crossfield on YouTube dices into this on some of hit work since he has a force plate.

• Like 3

:SuperSpeed: Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

:cobra-small: Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:Hogan: Equalizer 52° (at 54°)/ 56° (at 58°) KBS Tour V 110 Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small:  Cleveland SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

:ping-small: Hoofer Bag

Right Handed

After spending a month (after this Friday) back in the gym, I've finally got a radar ordered.  Plans are to be joining the fun either the end of this month or first of March. 

• Like 6

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:ping-small: G410+, Tensei Orange
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w, Evenflow Riptide
:nike-small: Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

13 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

.I did want to ask a question...many of you have described the benefit of the radar as helping you to identify what produces a fast swing versus simply a harder swing.  Can any of describe exactly what it was/is tangibly that you learned in your swing to produce greater speeds?  I keep waiting for the epiphany or realization to hit me, but for now I'm searching.  Case in point, on my C Club Max Out swings this morning at the end of the protocol, I had a 10 mph variance from the first swing to the second, and I can't honestly tell you what I physically did different at all.  Searching a bit.

Glad you're sold on the radar. A couple of my wife's friends started SS and gave up about halfway through protocol 2 - most likely because they didn't think it added to their swing speed (hence no motivation to continue).  How would they know since they didn't use a LM.

As to your question - I've watched a number of instructional videos on improving swing speed, but can't seem to implement with the sticks. Maybe it's because I'm an "old dog that can't learn new tricks" so I just try swinging harder. Note: I am using ground forces as @ejgaudette mentioned.   My dilemma is that I'm swinging them pretty fast for me (high 80's low 90's)  and can't imagine swinging them another 10 mph faster. Maybe that's a mental block or a physical limitation? Regardless, I'd be interested in other's thoughts  

• Like 5

Left Hand orientation

Cobra King F-9  5 wood

So, I've opined on this thread that, in my opinion, while it was helpful it wasn't absolutely necessary to have a radar to successfully pursue SuperSpeed training.  It's only right that I eat some crow, apologize to a few like [mention=68414]tony@CIC[/mention], and admit I was wrong...dead wrong.

I’m going to guess this will be different for different people. I know for me that sequencing matters - my top speeds come when the timing is just right, likewise with my best real swings - in reflex this may be my of talking about the pause that mpr reflects upon.

Also using the ground helps add a few mph and clearly the left hip leads to solid ball striking as well as speed.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 6

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

14 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Can any of describe exactly what it was/is tangibly that you learned in your swing to produce greater speeds?

I'm glad you came to this realization - I couldn't imagine trudging along with the only real measure of success being on the course (with the ball-striking issues many of us encountered at times).

To me, the thing that became apparent (through the help of @SuperSpeed Golf) was that tempo does not equal timing. Like @GolfSpy MPR, I get myself in trouble by starting my downswing before I finish my backswing. Thanks to these protocols and the radar for feedback, I can really feel when I do it. By increasing the speed of the backswing, my timing becomes better and I have less of a tendency to fight the club at the top. The only downside for me is I need more range time to get a more repeatable swing doing it as that is a non-trivial change for a mid-teens handicap to make.

• Like 5

Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 10.5* (set at 8.5*) Tensei CK Orange
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 58*
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

23 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Can any of describe exactly what it was/is tangibly that you learned in your swing to produce greater speeds?  I keep waiting for the epiphany or realization to hit me, but for now I'm searching.  Case in point, on my C Club Max Out swings this morning at the end of the protocol, I had a 10 mph variance from the first swing to the second, and I can't honestly tell you what I physically did different at all.  Searching a bit.

I experiment with feels or swing thoughts. I haven't to video'd to see if the feel was real... And sometimes old thoughts don't work during a certain session. Here's a few to play with:

* loose grip/wrists (help maximize wrist hinge)
high hands (max hand path, reach as far from ball as possible - I even tested with a measuring tape)
* stomp lead heel (I lift lead heel on nearly all full swings)
jump/push up with lead leg (often preceded by bump hips toward target) 
rip lead glute back from target (open hips)
whip lead knee toward trail knee (max hip turn) 

* are favourites and help me most often

I'm not 100% confident in the ability of a $300 unit to accurately capture max speed every swing. I'm sure it is taking a "snapshot" at a point along the swing arc which may not always be your max depending on release timing. Averages, max speeds, and trends over time should be the focus compared to your slowest swing of the day. The first swing is seldom the fastest, your body needs to figure out timing as all these clubs are different weights and load different. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/5H

:ping-small: G410 4-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:EVNROLL: ER2.2

Question for the group and possible superspeed folks. When you do the step change, is your lead foot supposed to end on where you normally take your stance for best results? I find I really "jump" forward and extend myself and was not sure if that's best.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, tchat07 said:

Question for the group and possible superspeed folks. When you do the step change, is your lead foot supposed to end on where you normally take your stance for best results? I find I really "jump" forward and extend myself and was not sure if that's best.

I tried to maintain a normal Position, but I also focus on staying a bit more upright for my swing mechanics... Weather is warming up so about time to fire it all up again!!

• Like 3

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)

19 minutes ago, tchat07 said:

We were asked to send videos of our step change when I was taking part in the original step group.  The one suggestion that I received was to keep the stride at the length of my hips - so as close to normal stance as possible while still being aggressive.  

There is a model video of step changes on the SuperSpeed website, you might review that also.  

I hope that helps.

• Like 5

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5