TESTERS WANTED! ×

Club or Ball Technology - what do you think has had the biggest impact.

For me I feel the ball is the major contributing factor. I tested a 50 deg pitching wedge from circa 1960's iron set against one of my modern gap wedges (50 deg) with near "like" reg flex TT steel shaft, identical lengths. Hit new urethane balls with both, no appreciable distance loss or accuracy issues. Did same test with Titleist balata balls. Major loss or lack of distance control w/both wedges, much higher ball flight. But I did prefer balata feel better than urethane ProV1. I realize my little test was not scientific or large enough sample size (only attempted 100 and 75 yard shots). In conclusion at this moment I think I could game old irons w/new ball but not new or old clubs w/balata ball) .

Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

13 hours ago, aerospace_ray said:

For me I feel the ball is the major contributing factor. I tested a 50 deg pitching wedge from circa 1960's iron set against one of my modern gap wedges (50 deg) with near "like" reg flex TT steel shaft, identical lengths. Hit new urethane balls with both, no appreciable distance loss or accuracy issues. Did same test with Titleist balata balls. Major loss or lack of distance control w/both wedges, much higher ball flight. But I did prefer balata feel better than urethane ProV1. I realize my little test was not scientific or large enough sample size (only attempted 100 and 75 yard shots). In conclusion at this moment I think I could game old irons w/new ball but not new or old clubs w/balata ball) .

Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I mean no offense, but it's not a good comparison, even if it's anecdotal.  The balata balls you've got are 20 years old or more (unless you lucked into Asian market product manufactured this century), and in that time, they've lost significant performance.  

So, of course they're squirrelly compared to a new ball.

I managed to be lucky several years ago and find a small stash of relatively recently manufactured HT-100s that appeared to have been made in Japan.  When I put these closer to new balls in play, I found there to be surprisingly little difference.  I mixed and matched both types of balls with wood and Ti with very similar results.

Had a sleeve left of those HT-100s that I put in play earlier this year, and saw some of the "squirrelliness" (is that a word?) you describe.  Only 6-8 years later.  I can imagine what another dozen-plus years would add, or subtract, depending on how you look at it.

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

4 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

I mean no offense, but it's not a good comparison, even if it's anecdotal.  The balata balls you've got are 20 years old or more (unless you lucked into Asian market product manufactured this century), and in that time, they've lost significant performance.  

So, of course they're squirrelly compared to a new ball.

I managed to be lucky several years ago and find a small stash of relatively recently manufactured HT-100s that appeared to have been made in Japan.  When I put these closer to new balls in play, I found there to be surprisingly little difference.  I mixed and matched both types of balls with wood and Ti with very similar results.

Had a sleeve left of those HT-100s that I put in play earlier this year, and saw some of the "squirrelliness" (is that a word?) you describe.  Only 6-8 years later.  I can imagine what another dozen-plus years would add, or subtract, depending on how you look at it.

Totally agree with you. My little personal experiment was just see what would happen for me with combo's of old and new.

Ball Ball ball ballballballballl

B...bbb...bbb...BALL

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Surprised no one posted this TXG video. Seems like the ball has a pretty big impact

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 8/27/2020 at 12:37 PM, cnosil said:

Surprised no one posted this TXG video. Seems like the ball has a pretty big impact

How old is the ball?  A 20 year old wound ball is going to be so degraded the test isn't really worth doing.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

3 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

How old is the ball?  A 20 year old wound ball is going to be so degraded the test isn't really worth doing.

Show me the proof.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Brief mention in this, for a start.

On 8/29/2020 at 9:19 AM, NRJyzr said:

... Good to see when MB's or Balata balls are mentioned you are still like a dog with a bone Ed! 🤣  I know better than to debate these issues with you. 👍

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I'm going with Clubs.  Technology has made clubs with more feel and forgiveness, is amazing.  the stronger lofts have also assisted in the game.  The golf shafts today are so much better than just 10 yrs ago.  The golf ball certainly flies further today, but you still have to make proper contact.  The guys on tour are killing it, however for them it's a combination of physical fitness, great equipment and the golf ball design, have made the pro's unbelievably good players. For us amateurs, I believe the equipment technology has helped we amateurs more.   

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

9 hours ago, chisag said:

... Good to see when MB's or Balata balls are mentioned you are still like a dog with a bone Ed! 🤣  I know better than to debate these issues with you. 👍

LOL Sam 

The irony, we're probably a lot closer on MBs than it might seem on the surface.  If the Eye2+ were just a little different in a couple areas, I might still be playing them.

You might find it funny that I've been checking 2nd Swing in recent weeks for used i200 and i210 sets.  😲

Edited by NRJyzr
autocorrect! It's not just for breakfast anymore...