Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The Most Strategic Hole on Your Home Course

So here's the way I want to frame the question: "Which hole on your home course makes you think about how you're going to play it that day?"

We all have some holes on our home course that require zero strategy: here's a vanilla par 4, no major trouble, hit driver, hit approach, move along. Or even if there is trouble, there's only a single way to deal with it. The only question a vanilla hole asks is, "Can you hit the shot?" A vanilla hole only tests execution, not strategy.

A strategic hole is one where you're considering your options: which club? Which shape? Which of the targets should I aim for, and why? It's the kind of hole that taps into the devious psychology of golf: you've got a good round going, so maybe you feel emboldened to pull driver where you ordinarily wouldn't. It's a hole that sows doubt in your mind, which is the enemy of the confident swing.

For my entry, I'm offering Hole 4 at Gogebic Country Club. It's a fairly short par 5 at 482 yards, but it's narrow and littered with obstacles that make you think about every single stupid shot.

Hole-4.jpg

From the back tees, you start by hitting down a chute, with woods on either side. The shot is asking for a slight draw, assuming the plan is to lay up short of the gully that separates the first section of fairway from the second. The gully is playable, but your lie is very unpredictable; you'll likely be hitting off a slope. Overdraw your tee shot, and you bring the pond into play.

Bit hitters, I suppose, could try to fade a driver off the tee, hoping for a fairway but being willing to end up in the rough past the woods on the right. That's not a shot in my bag.

But the second section of fairway confronts you with a sequence of trees; first on the left, then the right, and then another guarding the green on the left again. There is also a drainage ditch about 100 yards before the hole; balls hit there most often require a drop.

The conservative play on this whole is a layup off the tee, another layup into the second fairway, wedge to the green, and move along. Even that route is demanding; a shot that goes offline often ends up in the woods or blocked out by one of the sinister trees.

I've seen @Erik-M, twice in one season, go driving iron off the tee, 260-yard 3W threaded between the trees on the green, make the eagle putt. It's not my game, but it's fun to watch (and to have a league teammate).

How about you? Which hole on your course makes you re-think your strategy each time around?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

There are two (barely) drivable par 4’s on my regular course IF I hit a perfect drive, naming the course isn’t important.

Par 4 #16 is protected with traps all around but the fairway is a mile wide if you layup off the tee. As tempting as it is to go for the green off the tee, the odds are poor. It’s fun to see how people attack it in league, many just can’t resist going for it - I’ve seen one person (not me) drive the green once in 30 rounds. If I’m having a good round of I’m struggling with my driver that day I layup, if I’m having a bad round I go for it just for fun.

Par 4 #11 is even tougher because though it’s driveable, the whole fairway is narrow and a miss left if probably a lost ball. But the layup is still the smart play. I always layup here with a 4 or 5 iron.

In addition I can reach par 5 #7, #13 & #18 in 2, but laying up is far smarter on #7 & #18 because of narrow fairways and well placed traps. #13 green is wide open so going for it is low risk.

Its nice to have a few “easy” holes mixed in with thinking holes and a few really challenging ones. All easy is boring, all difficult is more than I can handle.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Love this topic. So let me preface this with I did not have a picture of the hole I am referencing. The course did not have a layout online and the scorecard was a full scorecard not individual holes. I took a Google Earth shot so do not mind my not so great editing ability. I pointed out 5 things (1-5) I will reference below of points of description for this course. 

The course is Highfields Golf Course in Grafton, MA. My favorite course in the area (I sound redundant on how many times I have referenced this course on the forum) but I love it, its a long course and difficult from the tips (I.E. tips this par 5 is 622) if you are ever in the area I HIGHLY RECOMMEND PLAYING IT. Its as close as you get to a resort/private style course without being private or costly like a resort.

So this is hole 9 and is justifiably noted as #1 handicap on the course. I typically play the gold or black depending on who I am out with (usually black with the group I go out with on Saturdays). This hole is TIGHT!

1) This is the tee box, you can see the square which is the whites. black and gold are in the bottom of the circle. Teeing off you have to hit driver landing zones are 2 and 3 on the picture. 2 is about 260 from the tips 3 is 300+. Depending on the day I can get out to 3. If you land in 2 you are cut off from advancing anywhere near the green. If you land in 2 its worth hitting an 8 iron and landing in the area between 3 and 4.

2 & 3) both these landing areas  roll off to the right so you have to play along the left tree line, but watch out! Those trees will eat your ball up. Also need to be cautious to not lot the ball roll into the right edge tree line. If  you are on the right side your chances of advancing are much better.

4) If you get the ball out there you can advance to 4 which slopes down towards the green but also rolls right as well so watch out you will be down in those traps potentially (5)

5) The green is 2 tiered and if the pin is in the back you better have some good spin to stick the ball if you're going at it or so goodbye to your ball off the back. If that is the case you're chipping up about 30' onto the green and your ball will roll back to the front of the green. The traps are also brutal with the incline.

This hole is challenging on a good day, on a bad day just take your lumps. I have had my days where I see a possible birdie go bye bye because I was not able to stick the green. It is LONG and you have to place your shorts perfectly to score. You can easily cut yourself off with a bad tee shot and if that is the case you're not getting on the green in 4.

Again I love this course and their are many challenging holes but this is BY FAR one of the most challenging around.

image.png

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

3 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

So here's the way I want to frame the question: "Which hole on your home course makes you think about how you're going to play it that day?"

We all have some holes on our home course that require zero strategy: here's a vanilla par 4, no major trouble, hit driver, hit approach, move along. Or even if there is trouble, there's only a single way to deal with it. The only question a vanilla hole asks is, "Can you hit the shot?" A vanilla hole only tests execution, not strategy.

A strategic hole is one where you're considering your options: which club? Which shape? Which of the targets should I aim for, and why? It's the kind of hole that taps into the devious psychology of golf: you've got a good round going, so maybe you feel emboldened to pull driver where you ordinarily wouldn't. It's a hole that sows doubt in your mind, which is the enemy of the confident swing.

For my entry, I'm offering Hole 4 at Gogebic Country Club. It's a fairly short par 5 at 482 yards, but it's narrow and littered with obstacles that make you think about every single stupid shot.

Hole-4.jpg

From the back tees, you start by hitting down a chute, with woods on either side. The shot is asking for a slight draw, assuming the plan is to lay up short of the gully that separates the first section of fairway from the second. The gully is playable, but your lie is very unpredictable; you'll likely be hitting off a slope. Overdraw your tee shot, and you bring the pond into play.

Bit hitters, I suppose, could try to fade a driver off the tee, hoping for a fairway but being willing to end up in the rough past the woods on the right. That's not a shot in my bag.

But the second section of fairway confronts you with a sequence of trees; first on the left, then the right, and then another guarding the green on the left again. There is also a drainage ditch about 100 yards before the hole; balls hit there most often require a drop.

The conservative play on this whole is a layup off the tee, another layup into the second fairway, wedge to the green, and move along. Even that route is demanding; a shot that goes offline often ends up in the woods or blocked out by one of the sinister trees.

I've seen @Erik-M, twice in one season, go driving iron off the tee, 260-yard 3W threaded between the trees on the green, make the eagle putt. It's not my game, but it's fun to watch (and to have a league teammate).

How about you? Which hole on your course makes you re-think your strategy each time around?

I fully agree with you on this hole, that's how I should play the hole everytime, however golf makes people stupid. If I play the hole with people who use driver I feel like I need to in order to keep up, however I don't need to.   Or if I'm hitting driver good I will use it the problem is it brings the wind in to play which is always a cross wind. The hardest part from my point of view is if you wanna reach the hole you bring all the trees to the right of the green into play, as well as on the left. If you layup on your second you can be blocked out by the tree in the fairway, plus the front of the greens is always wet so you have to land the perfect spot to hold near the hole. 

My nemesis hole is #18 at my course Columbia Point GC.  It's not a long hole; a 515y par 5 dogleg left that typically plays into a slight R to L wind usually 10-20 mph.

Here is an aerial overhead of the course and #18 is outlined by the square.  At the dogleg is a big f....ng tree shown in the red circle.  

1736552429_ColumbiaPointAerialLR18.jpg.651f0b3b34b77b5efc84237041671445.jpg

Big hitters can easily get past the tree if they drive the ball straight, but the fairway runs out to water or sand.  Then it's a 175-200 yard shot over sand and water to the green to get there in two.  I don't have that shot! LOL.  My problem is that I can't drive the ball far enough to get a good look around the tree.  Here is a closeup view of the hole from Google Earth with 100, 150 and 200 yards from the green shown in red..  Sorry for the poor resolution.  It is very narrow at 150 yards!!!

1348337896_18.jpeg.2a2523dbe23101f6cec463182cda15d7.jpeg

Right of the fairway is No Good; in grass mounds on a downslope.  If I'm in the fairway, I'm about even with the first fairway bunker.  The angle for my second shot is not good to get the ball in the fairway.  I can either go over, under or draw the ball around the tree.  I've tried them all.  😁 Any shot that leaks to the right will be in the 150y long fairway bunker... or worse!  The fairway also slopes a little L to R, so if my ball lands in the fairway and has any cut spin, it has a chance to roll into the bunker.  Here is a view of my usual second shot; anything to the right of the branches is definitely in the bunker.  Hit the branches and it's probably in the sand with a high lip to the green.

IMG_0361.jpeg.999c4ffc4354f565c7bf62adfa95920f.jpeg

This is a difficult hole for me.  I don't hit draws very consistently, and I don't hit high shots very well either.  Depending on where I am in relation to that tree, I can get a mid-iron over the tree.  I can also hit a low punch shot under the overhanging branches with some success.  As an alternative if I hit a poor tee shot of if the wind is particularly strong, I have laid up short of the water and long bunker which leaves a 160-170y shot to the green.  That approach works because when I get to the dogleg, the shot is mostly downwind.  However, I seem to always end up short of the green in the bunker.  This is probably the only hole on the course where moving up to the "senior" tees makes a difference for me.  I still can't hit the ball far enough for a chance at the green in two, but I would have a straight shot down the fairway.  A good second shot could get me far enough that I don't have to go over sand for my third shot.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

10 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

My nemesis hole is #18 at my course Columbia Point GC.  It's not a long hole; a 515y par 5 dogleg left that typically plays into a slight R to L wind usually 10-20 mph.

Here is an aerial overhead of the course and #18 is outlined by the square.  At the dogleg is a big f....ng tree shown in the red circle.  

1736552429_ColumbiaPointAerialLR18.jpg.651f0b3b34b77b5efc84237041671445.jpg

Big hitters can easily get past the tree if they drive the ball straight, but the fairway runs out to water or sand.  Then it's a 175-200 yard shot over sand and water to the green to get there in two.  I don't have that shot! LOL.  My problem is that I can't drive the ball far enough to get a good look around the tree.  Here is a closeup view of the hole from Google Earth with 100, 150 and 200 yards from the green shown in red..  Sorry for the poor resolution.  It is very narrow at 150 yards!!!

1348337896_18.jpeg.2a2523dbe23101f6cec463182cda15d7.jpeg

Right of the fairway is No Good; in grass mounds on a downslope.  If I'm in the fairway, I'm about even with the first fairway bunker.  The angle for my second shot is not good to get the ball in the fairway.  I can either go over, under or draw the ball around the tree.  I've tried them all.  😁 Any shot that leaks to the right will be in the 150y long fairway bunker... or worse!  The fairway also slopes a little L to R, so if my ball lands in the fairway and has any cut spin, it has a chance to roll into the bunker.  Here is a view of my usual second shot; anything to the right of the branches is definitely in the bunker.  Hit the branches and it's probably in the sand with a high lip to the green.

IMG_0361.jpeg.999c4ffc4354f565c7bf62adfa95920f.jpeg

This is a difficult hole for me.  I don't hit draws very consistently, and I don't hit high shots very well either.  Depending on where I am in relation to that tree, I can get a mid-iron over the tree.  I can also hit a low punch shot under the overhanging branches with some success.  As an alternative if I hit a poor tee shot of if the wind is particularly strong, I have laid up short of the water and long bunker which leaves a 160-170y shot to the green.  That approach works because when I get to the dogleg, the shot is mostly downwind.  However, I seem to always end up short of the green in the bunker.  This is probably the only hole on the course where moving up to the "senior" tees makes a difference for me.  I still can't hit the ball far enough for a chance at the green in two, but I would have a straight shot down the fairway.  A good second shot could get me far enough that I don't have to go over sand for my third shot.

That looks like a beautiful hole!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

2 hours ago, Lacassem said:

That looks like a beautiful hole!

It is a fun hole, IF I hit 3 good shots in a row... just like I had planned them.  My scores on this hole range from an almost pitch-in eagle to double par!!  If you just miss the green short in the sand, it is the hardest short bunker shot on the course... for me.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Our 3rd hole is a short par 4 that offers a lot of options. It only plays 340 yards from the back tees, and quite often plays downwind. The trickiest part is the green slopes front to back. Out of bounds left, bunkers both sides, and anything that leaks right feeds down a steep slope. 270 and right will almost certainly end up in 8" rough.

Normal strategy is 5 wood then whatever wedge is appropriate. I only take driver if the wind is the perfect angle, and the pin isn't at the front. I much prefer a full shot in, partial shots either don't grip or pitch short and stop. Mike Clayton, course architect who codesigned Barbougle Dunes with Tom Doak, rates it as the best short par 4 in Australia that no one knows about. I played in a Pro-Am with the former long term pro from Royal Melbourne, we started on this hole and he said it was as good a hole as any on his home track.

In 16 years I've only driven the green a handful of times.

https://curlewisgolf.com.au/pages/third

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

For me it is hole #4 at my club. Short par 4 that offers endless options from distance standpoint at 295 yards from the whites. Very narrow alley from the tees to the fairway so starting line is crucial. Favors a left to right ball flight but depends on what club and where you want to land for your approach. Short left in the fairway is the best flat landing area, just left of the cart path is a good miss. Fairway slopes left to right and their is a tree short right of the green that can cause issues if you miss right. Then on the approach, you have a deep bunker short and a green with a false front, sloping left to right. I love this hole because it really makes you think about so many things. My current strategy is draw a 5i off the tee. At worst I block it and end up in the left rough with a 9i into the green. Usually have GW from the fairway. For a while I played 3w off the tee to over by the cart path left, leaving a nice little pitch and taking the bunker somewhat out of play. Not much room for error there though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_4182.jpg

11 minutes ago, LeftyRM7 said:

For me it is hole #4 at my club. Short par 4 that offers endless options from distance standpoint at 295 yards from the whites. Very narrow alley from the tees to the fairway so starting line is crucial. Favors a left to right ball flight but depends on what club and where you want to land for your approach. Short left in the fairway is the best flat landing area, just left of the cart path is a good miss. Fairway slopes left to right and their is a tree short right of the green that can cause issues if you miss right. Then on the approach, you have a deep bunker short and a green with a false front, sloping left to right. I love this hole because it really makes you think about so many things. My current strategy is draw a 5i off the tee. At worst I block it and end up in the left rough with a 9i into the green. Usually have GW from the fairway. For a while I played 3w off the tee to over by the cart path left, leaving a nice little pitch and taking the bunker somewhat out of play. Not much room for error there though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_4182.jpg

Wow that looks tight. The shadows are not helping either but regardless talk about thread the needle.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

58 minutes ago, LeftyRM7 said:

Here is the view from the tee...

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_4187.jpg

Yup that takes some serious placement 

Check out my reviews:

WITB: