TESTERS WANTED! ×

How to change own grips

Just got the wife driver, 3 wood, and 5 wood in Taylormade M6 with Senior Flex. We bought them stock because she's a brand new golfer and got fit into standard senior flex shafts for the M6 irons. Her irons have slightly smaller grips, and I was wondering on the basics of changing grips at home.

1. What tools do I need to do it properly?
  2. As a beginner, is it worth it to do on my own? Or would it be better to get it done professionally and practice on my own before tinkering with grips?

Two basic ways here, you can install the traditional way with grip tape and solvent.  Or you can just use regular 2" masking tape or painters tape and install with air.

Personally I install with air on all my grips, but it's really a personal preference.

As for tools I would recommend a vise and shaft clamp at a minimum for either method.  It's possible without that but you have to be good and know what you're doing.

Honestly, I would recommend just searching on youtube for either method.  It's one thing to read directions, but much easier to just watch someone do it.  

It can seem like a daunting task when you are just getting started, but it's probably one of the easiest club making skills to get the hang of.  Plus once you figure it out you will save a lot of money on install in the long run.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'm in the air camp. Here's a good thread on it if you're interested: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/18318-re-gripping-with-an-air-compressor/?tab=comments#comment-252236

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Certainly, you could tinker with simple things like changing grips on your golf clubs, that's one of the basic starting job for the apprentice in the shop. 

But for only 3 grips ?   You might find it saving time and money to have it done.  All of our local golf specialty stores offer free installation if you purchase the grip from them.  Since we'll pay tax and the shipping cost getting the grips online these days, you might as well take up on the free installation, locally.

In the future, you could consider getting grips in bulk and use air to install/remove grips.   I have many sets of golf clubs, but I rotate one or two sets of grips between them instead of new grips on each and every set, which might only see a few rounds of action each year.   Too bad you can't share the same size of golf grips between your wife and yourself, maybe get a few close friends together for bulk purchase when you're ready.

Edited by release

1 hour ago, MattF said:

I'm in the air camp. Here's a good thread on it if you're interested: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/18318-re-gripping-with-an-air-compressor/?tab=comments#comment-252236

Thanks for the pointer to another thread! My father-in-law has a big air compressor that I could borrow, so that helps with the basics. I'm assuming it can be throttled down to a safe PSI

1 hour ago, release said:

Certainly, you could tinker with simple things like changing grips on your golf clubs, that's one of the basic starting job for the apprentice in the shop. 

But for only 3 grips ?   You might find it saving time and money to have it done.  All of our local golf specialty stores offer free installation if you purchase the grip from them.  Since we'll pay tax and the shipping cost getting the grips online these days, you might as well take up on the free installation, locally.

In the future, you could consider getting grips in bulk and use air to install/remove grips.   I have many sets of golf clubs, but I rotate one or two sets of grips between them instead of new grips on each and every set, which might only see a few rounds of action each year.   Too bad you can't share the same size of golf grips between your wife and yourself, maybe get a free close friends together for bulk purchase when you're ready.

I think for my wife's clubs I'll do it at my local course. It'll be quicker and easier for just 3 clubs.

I want to tinker with my clubs a bit, and figured grips was the place to start. How many grips come in a bulk order typically?

19 hours ago, DuffDaddyKev said:

I think for my wife's clubs I'll do it at my local course. It'll be quicker and easier for just 3 clubs.

I want to tinker with my clubs a bit, and figured grips was the place to start. How many grips come in a bulk order typically?

Depending on what you need,

Typically it starts at a full set = 13 swing grips for a full bag ( minus te putter grip ),  A typical case comes in 250 grips.  Find someone to share the cost if you're not in business for yourself.

Grips usually won't go bad for years if you keep it out of the temperature change ( too cold/too hot ) and if you have leather wrap or very expensive grips try to keep it isolated from fresh air ( oxygen ages the grip just like it would to your skin ).  I kept the cases on the floor of my closet.  

If you shop, there might be odd lots online once in awhile ( 50? 80? ).  The all time favorite like the OEM std tour velvet wrap can't go too wrong, but pick one you like for you will have it for years to come if you buy bulk.   Ideally, get a few friends together to chip in for the case, so no one has to live with the extra grips for decades.  I always keep the odd numbers for extra few wedges, woods.  Usually save close to 40%-60% than full retail price.  Check the I.D. of your OEM grip they should b e .60" these days, get the correct size which will give you the same installed size and easier for the job.  If you put the .58 grip onto a .60 shaft.  It'll feel slightly thicker, for the wall of the grip would be thicker ( from the smaller I.D. with the same O.D. measurement), thus a little more work to try to slide on the shaft by hand.

If you don't already have a decent air compressor around the house, start with the basic method by using the double sided tape.  Find tutorial video online and watch as many as you could because a few of these videos are not very good.  Start with an old club for practice.  

All you'll need is a utility knife with Hooked blade ( hooked blade can be purchased at hardware  store ) ,   Hair drier or heat gun to help remove the old double sided tape.  New double sided grip tape and non-flammable solvent ( for beginner), we use anything from gasoline to lighter fluids when in a jam .  A steady workstation or some place to hold a vice  ( I can do this free hand, but not recommended for novice ).  Decades ago when I started changing grips I used the corner of an old heavy desk to secure a mini-vice.  Didn't have the rubber vice to hold the shaft in the vice, so I used a piece of rubber hose opened a 6" section and used that .   Hooked blade is a must because no matter how careful one is, accident might happen, nothing worse than a scratched up graphite shaft when you could have avoided it by using the right tool . And Oh, always point the tip of the hooked blade away from the graphite shaft ( slide the tip in and then turn sideway or up slightly when removing the old grip)  slide the blade away from your body toward the sole of the head ( just in case you slip which won't put a scratch on the head or the hosel ).  

Edited by release

18 hours ago, DuffDaddyKev said:

Thanks for the pointer to another thread! My father-in-law has a big air compressor that I could borrow, so that helps with the basics. I'm assuming it can be throttled down to a safe PSI

Yeah, most advice is to run it at 45psi but because I've done it for so long, I just leave mine at 90psi and haven't blown out a grip yet.

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

21 hours ago, DuffDaddyKev said:

Just got the wife driver, 3 wood, and 5 wood in Taylormade M6 with Senior Flex. We bought them stock because she's a brand new golfer and got fit into standard senior flex shafts for the M6 irons. Her irons have slightly smaller grips, and I was wondering on the basics of changing grips at home.

1. What tools do I need to do it properly?
  2. As a beginner, is it worth it to do on my own? Or would it be better to get it done professionally and practice on my own before tinkering with grips?

First, as a disclaimer, I don't have an air compressor or access to one so I use the 'wet' method. Replacing grips is a fun thing to do especially if the weather isn't conducive for golf. I'm also a big fan of using the alignment aid on the grips, especially since I use a strong grip. Doing the grips at home allows me to orient the alignment aid to my hand position for my strong grip.  My 'wet' setup is cheap and easy. I bought a small vise from Harbor Freight for $20. , a shaft clamp for 2.50 from Golfworks and the pan from Walmart for $2.00 to catch the grip solvent. Pictures below of the setup. Note you can get a 'grip supply kit' from Golfworks or Golf Galaxy for $8. that includes, solvent and tape to do 8 grips. I would assume that regardless of whether you do air or wet, you'll still need the vise and shaft clamp. BTW get a Golfworks catalog you'll find everything you need there plus a whole lot more. 

IMG_6818.JPG

IMG_6819.JPG

IMG_6820.JPG

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

10 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

First, as a disclaimer, I don't have an air compressor or access to one so I use the 'wet' method. Replacing grips is a fun thing to do especially if the weather isn't conducive for golf. I'm also a big fan of using the alignment aid on the grips, especially since I use a strong grip. Doing the grips at home allows me to orient the alignment aid to my hand position for my strong grip.  My 'wet' setup is cheap and easy. I bought a small vise from Harbor Freight for $20. , a shaft clamp for 2.50 from Golfworks and the pan from Walmart for $2.00 to catch the grip solvent. Pictures below of the setup. Note you can get a 'grip supply kit' from Golfworks or Golf Galaxy for $8. that includes, solvent and tape to do 8 grips. I would assume that regardless of whether you do air or wet, you'll still need the vise and shaft clamp. BTW get a Golfworks catalog you'll find everything you need there plus a whole lot more. 

IMG_6818.JPG

IMG_6819.JPG

IMG_6820.JPG

Just requested a catalog, that’ll be a huge help. I’ll have to look into both wet and air methods to see what works better for my situation! I do like the looks of your setup as a nice easy one to start with. 

I have never used the air compressor method, but the wet method is so easy for me that I haven't even thought about using the air method. I have been using Tour Velvet 360 grips lately, so there are no graphics to line up.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

23 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

I would assume that regardless of whether you do air or wet, you'll still need the vise and shaft clamp.

With air, only to take a wet method grip off. After that, when you replace them, you can just hold the club in your hand.

In the bag:

Bag: 

4 minutes ago, MattF said:

With air, only to take a wet method grip off. After that, when you replace them, you can just hold the club in your hand.

Matt, that's good info for those contemplating air method - thanks for posting - I stand corrected. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

13 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I have never used the air compressor method, but the wet method is so easy for me that I haven't even thought about using the air method. I have been using Tour Velvet 360 grips lately, so there are no graphics to line up.

Using air method vs traditional method, the difference is like using hosel adaptor vs. epoxied hosel.

One of the original reason why I turned to using air is the ability to remove the grip from one club and use it later.  whether be storing the grip in a ziploc over the winter season or installing it on another set of golf clubs.   I saved money and the turnaround time.    Still use the traditional way installing the grip with double sided grip tape when it was requested.  The air installed grips will slip or twist a little if the grip is not tightly fitted.  The adhesive glue on the grip tape will help a little more to prevent twisting.

I had only seen one case where the golfer managed to twist the grip no matter the grip was installed with the double sided tape or with air.  Even with the original OEM installed grips we could see the twisting mark. the lower hand and the upper hand position twisted to the opposite direction.  He only has a swing speed of 85-90 MPH with his driver, so there must had been something wrong of how he gripped the golf clubs.

• 2 weeks later...

I was nervous the first time I attempted a wet install... I bought cheap grips and some solvent from Golfsmith... I tried my hand on some old clubs so I wasn't afraid to make a mistake.  Now I've probably regripped 100 clubs and am looking forward to purchasing an air compressor so I can save grips when I decide that something doesn't work for me, especially since I use leather on my gamers.

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Taylor Made 300 Mini 11.5º w/ Fuji Ventus TR Red

Hybrids: Callaway Super Hybrid 17º w/ Tensei Orange

Titleist 816 H1 21º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil

Irons (6-43º): Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º SM8, 60º Tour Issued Hand Ground Vokey

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

Unless you already have access to a compressor or plan on using for other things, wet grips seem to be the way to go. Plus you can do it at 2 am when you cant sleep and don't have to worry about waking up the family or the neighbors!

Also, after a few times you definitely get the hang of it and goes quickly. Took me about 2-3 hours to do my first set now i can get done in about an hour maybe less. Helps to have a heat gun or blow dryer to get the old tape off if it is really stuck on but i change my grips every year (40-50 rounds per year in Southern California). I tend to buy the cheapo ones from Amazon (Karma velvet) so I can just replace them every year. Expensive grips to me are nice to have but not necessary IMO.

Edited by parkbrian1
adding additional info

Driver : :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 9* MC Kuro Kago Silver 60 Stiff

Woods : :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood 14* Mitsubish Tensei Blue 73g Regular

Hybrids: sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 949X Project X HZRDUS RDX Black 

Irons : sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 699 Pro Black 5-AW 1* flat KBS Tour V 90 Stiff Shafts 

Wedges : File:Kirkland Signature logo.svg - Wikimedia Commons 52, 56, 60 

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg lightweight cart bag | motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgDry Series Bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX (2019) | Screen-Shot-2017-07-20-at-7_24.05-AM-300x118.png.9f1c4cb1d62511ee40a05bd6d5795f97.png ProV1x (2021)

Rangefinder : 836d5c8b9e44880db86abcd3b735255d.w2480_h836.jpg.bcd4050c642957abbdca7453a6cb0469.jpg ULT-X

Pushcart : motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgM5 GPS DHC Electric Push Cart

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

I was nervous the first time I attempted a wet install... I bought cheap grips and some solvent from Golfsmith... I tried my hand on some old clubs so I wasn't afraid to make a mistake.  Now I've probably regripped 100 clubs and am looking forward to purchasing an air compressor so I can save grips when I decide that something doesn't work for me, especially since I use leather on my gamers.

You reminded me of one thing I neglected in my previous post. I also bought a couple of the cheapest grips available to try before I put the MCC+4 on. The one thing I did learn is that grip solvent is your friend especially if you have a pan under your grip station to catch and reuse. I also bought the grip stripping tool from golf works - makes the removal process really fast.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

• 3 weeks later...

Another vote for compressed air. I grabbed a $40 harbor freight compressor for my golf shop and their $12 hose kit that came with a "blow gun". The blow gun let's you adjust how much air you put in and how fast. My output is set at 35psi, but I just use small quick blasts. You can explode grips this way, Cobra lamkin arccos grips and lamkin grips in general can get a little bulgy. I had a few new decades bulge out too, but that's usually only if they are stretched or there is some tape residue under the grip or something.

I HATE the smell of grip solvent and getting it all over my hands and my shop. I also HATE removing grips that have been taped. Compressed air let's you shoot a grip on in seconds, adjust it whenever you want, and swap it out in seconds. It's clean and it works.

The vice clamps/soft jaws are a must. Golfworks sells a set of soft jaws that I must've used 3000 times and it's still in awesome shape. It sits on top of the carrier for the vice jaws so you don't have to fiddle with it. I highly recommend.

Edited by Grit Golf

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

I bought a grip saver/remover tool that is like a long thin tool that you use with solvent to break the tape seal. Works well, have removed some grips, no issues so far.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4