TESTERS WANTED! ×

AVX vs PRO V1

Hubs

I am a PRO V1 player and have been for years but I did a Titleist ball fitting and they said I fit to a PRO V 1 or the AVX.  I tried the AVX, it was a little more penetrating, not much, and definitely softer.  Has anyone had the same experience?  Would you change to it?  

Does anyone see this as a ploy since it is their "new" ball or are they a ball that is a substitute for the PRO V1?  

Thank you, wondering what players think.  

That’s the general consensus on the avx vs prov1. The avx has less spin around the greens than Prov1.

its technically not a new ball it’s in its second full release now and prior to the 2018 release it was an offering in limited areas before that. The ball is designed to be a 3rd option in the tour lineup of balls. It’s for the person that needs or wants to drop the height of their ball flight and/or spin.

i have an aquaintance who is a low hdcp, high swing speed guy that do to mechanics generates a lot of spin. The original avx fit him well from the tee and with irons. His skill level allowed him to adjust to the lack of spin around the green. 

Since you fit between both I would take them both to the course and play them side by side to see which one works best for you from the green back to the tee

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• Guests
Guest Delete

I love the AVX. Gives me more distance on the woods due to lower spin. But, unlike most other people, I didn't notice less spin on approach shots. It held the greens for me just fine. 

My longest drives come from the AVX, ProV1X, and the TP5X. 

When I play I use whatever premium ball I have. I usually play a prov1, zstar or Tp5 for par 3s and short par 4s. And use the X balls for into the wind and longer holes. 

I know I hit them different yardages but it seems consistent that the X balls go a few extra yards. When I am in between clubs I can use the ball to make up the difference. The rules of golf allow it as long as I finish the hole with the ball from the tee. Tournaments might be more restrictive but I'm no pro.

I tried the AVX a couple of different times, and I found the ball to be jumpier that Pro v1 or Taylormade TP5. 
I think has a better flight  pattern and it cuts to thru the wind nicely. Trouble I had with it the different times was around the greens, not much spin and on the greens felt it was jumping of the putter face, it was harder to control distance with it. (could be need it more time with it since am accustom to the TaylorMade TP5 feel on the greens.)

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50  (secondary shaft HRDZ Black 6.0 Stiff)
3 -Wood:  Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag

I've played an AVX once or twice. I too thought it might be a little longer than some of my normal gamer balls. Last weekend I was playing a TM TP5x and I thought it was long off the driver and shorter with irons. Strange. 🤔

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

29 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

I've played an AVX once or twice. I too thought it might be a little longer than some of my normal gamer balls. Last weekend I was playing a TM TP5x and I thought it was long off the driver and shorter with irons. Strange. 🤔

TP5x is the longest tour ball I have tried with irons (around 6-7 yards longer than the rest)  but based on the AVX properties, it should be probably 8 yards longer than the TP5x and around 15 yards longer than the rest of urethane balls.

:taylormade-small: SIM Driver 9* | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero 3 Wood | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-20s SEL | Project X LZ 6.0

:callaway-small: Jaws MD5 - 50 Degrees | Dynamic Gold S200

:cleveland-small: RTX 4  56.10 | 60.9 | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

:cameron-small:    Special Select 2020 - Newport 2

:bridgestone-small: Tour Bx 2020

I won a dozen AVX's two years ago. I loved the penetrating flight and I didn't have much of an issue stopping them. If price were no object, I like them better than anything else I have played, but I lose too many balls to be playing a $4 golf balls. I currently play the Z-Star that I get a bunch of when they have their buy 2 get 1 sales.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I tend to see the lower trajectory with the avx and that's all I play either the pro v1 or the avx. One big difference I see with the pro v1 is around the greens, they are not as good as the avx. Another difference I see between the two is the feeling at impact on the club, the avx jumps off the face and pro v1 is a little clicky. Another reason I sing the praises of the avx whenever I can. It is a great ball from start to finish.  

1 hour ago, n8rsgonnan8 said:

I tried a sleeve of AVX within the first year they came out. Flight seemed a little lower, big thing I notice was the feel of the ball. It felt really soft, almost mushy. Personally I liked the really soft feel.

That's what I concluded too. I prefer a firmer 3-piece ball, but there's something for everyone.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

6 hours ago, Didos66 said:

I tend to see the lower trajectory with the avx and that's all I play either the pro v1 or the avx. One big difference I see with the pro v1 is around the greens, they are not as good as the avx. Another difference I see between the two is the feeling at impact on the club, the avx jumps off the face and pro v1 is a little clicky. Another reason I sing the praises of the avx whenever I can. It is a great ball from start to finish.  

You are the first person I can recall saying g the avx is better around the green than the Prov1.  What is better about the avx around the greens compared to the Prov1? 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Before the COVID-lockdown I had not long moved to the Titleist AVX ball in the cold winter months through in St Andrews, Scotland. Having been an avid Titleist ProV1X guy before I did not believe there would be much change but how wrong could I be...I believe there is quite a big difference when comes to performance in relation to temperature and wind factors. The AVX is a different performance breed in cold blustery conditions, better control, trajectory and my eyes better reactions within the firm conditions of links golf.

14 hours ago, Didos66 said:

100% I agree with you brother!!!!

• 1 month later...

I tried the AVX when they first were introduced last year. Like many here I think they were longer off the tee, but harder to stop when chipping. I switched to the Pro-V-1X and have been playing it all year. Recently I found a Pro-V-1, played a couple of rounds with it and I think I like it better. It's longer than the "X" off the tee and performs better than the AVX around the green. I have a couple of dozen of the "X" and hope Dick's will let me trade them for Pro-V-1s.

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

Watched a review comparing Pro v1, 1x and AVX and the main difference was spin across the board.

Pro v1x  = Higher Spin
Pro v1 = Average
AVX  = Low Spin

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

It's important to noted that the 2020 AVX does have higher greenside spin, at least for me. I would definitely check it out if you've only played the previous version!

:mizuno-small: ST 200 9.5°, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 S

:mizuno-small: ST 200 3w 15°, Diamana S+ 60 S

:srixon-small: Z H85 3h 19°, Project X Hzrdus Black Hybrid 6.0

:taylormade-small: P770 (2017) 4-PW, KBS Tour FLT 120 S

:vokey-small: SM8 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.08M, KBS Tour S

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Fetch 34"

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

I haven't tried the 2020 AVX as yet. If it spins more on and around the green better that the 2019 version maybe I should try a sleeve. I think the 2019 version of the AVX is the longest off the tee of the three for me. I just couldn't get used to how "jumpy" it was on chips and some putts.

Edited by Hoganman1

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

I played a sleeve of AVX late last year...ball flight was noticeably lower even on short irons. I didn’t really notice it being longer but it was a course I had never played so I didn’t really have a frame of reference.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I'm not a single ball type of guy so I tend to move around quite a bit. I go from TP5, to PV1, BXS, Tour Soft, Tour Response. I recently tried an 2020 AVX and really liked the performance especially my short game. I'm not one who skilled enough to suck a ball back a few feet, but the AVX does a very good job of one hop and stop with very little run-off. Plus it's soft enough which is my preferred feel.

:ping-small: G400 MAX  Ping Tour 65

:cobra-small: FW 15* King F-7 :Fuji: PRO-65

:ping-small: G400 Hybrid Alta CB-70

PXG 0211 5-SW Mitsubishi MMT Graphite

:titelist-small: AP1 52* SW TT XP-95

:taylormade-small: MG 58* TT DG Wedge

Scotty Cameron Custom welded LN 

Grips- GP MCC+4

I tried the previous version of the AVX and for a higher spin player it worked very well for the driver and irons. I found around the greens it truly lacked the control needed to hit the shots that I wanted. Switch to this year and I did try the new AVX and it was significantly improved over the original version around the greens. If they were slightly better priced I could play them.

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...

After reading the posts and threads a month ago, I decided to try the AVX ball again. Predominately use ProV1x & ProV1's (played a couple of rounds with TP5x and like that ball.  I had first tried the AVX ball back in October, used it once on 10-4-2019, first time on a Par 3, first swing and got a hole in one.  Had not played AVX again! Why ruin a good thing!  True story.  But read many of the posts in this thread and for last 3 weeks have been playing AVX and like the ball.  Like the ball flight and ball might go a bit further than ProV1x. Like jayjay in post above, notice the ball jumps a bit more off SW & LW when chipping around the greens. It seems to come off hotter when chipping vs a ProV1x. I like the 80 compression feel of the AVX.  

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

I won't purchase Titleist products on pure principle(long story) but I had a buddy that bought a couple of dozen of the AVX in 2018.   One of the rounds we played I noticed him over many more greens or a good bit past pin high than he was normally.  Finally he was frustrated and on our 16th hole where I had hit a good 8 iron (I play Srixon Zstar or XV depending upon firmness of the greens) he threw a AVX down to me and asked me to take a swing.   Of course I thinned the crap out of it, so he threw down another and I hit it as close as I can to the exact swing I had put on the first swing I made with the Srixon.

It came off the club higher, but then planed out more quickly.  It carried about 7 yards past my Srixon and didn't stop nearly as well.  On the 17th he asked me to hit one again, this time with a 7 iron( I am a high spin, somewhat medium-low trajectory player) and that 7 iron flew about 8 yards past my Srixon and rolled out 15 feet when it landed.

He said that his issue was the ball carried too far and since he is not a high spin player even his PW and GW were releasing, and with the low spin he noticed an even bigger problem hitting iron shots from the rough.  He took the last dozen he had back for a refund and went back to the Srixon.

I did not chip with them, but on the couple of strikes with the irons the ball felt not hard or soft, but they are not built for me.   YMMV

Clubs in great standing

• Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS - Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - UST Mamiya Black 79X
  • 5 Wood - Taylormade Sim Max - HZRDOUS smoke black 6.5
  • Irons - Srixon ZX5 5 iron, Srixon ZX7 (6-9)  - Recoil 110 F5
  • Wedges - Cleveland 46, 50*, 54*, & 60* Zipcore mid bounce - Recoil 110 F5
  • Putter -  Mannkrafted MA/66 - UST Frequency Filter, LAB MEZZ.1  - BGT Stability

Clubs in good standing(fighting for one spot)....

• 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named - UST Mamiya Black 79TX | Util - Callaway Apex X Forged UTIL 21* - AD-DI | Util - Srixon ZXU 18* -  Recoil 110 F5 | Util - Callaway UW 19* - HZRDOUS smoke black 6.5

Clubs that need a timeout/replacing