Easton Radcliff

Hybrid or Third Wedge

Our Sponsors

Currently I am deciding between playing with a hybrid or adding a third wedge. Curious to what you all use and what you would suggest! Thanks!!

• Like 1

Depends on your game, your courses, and your preferences? A few questions I have, what the distance gap between your longest iron and shortest wood? How often do you have that distance? How comfortable are you with partial wedge shots?

I recently made the choice to remove my 5 wood and add a 60* to the bag. I rarely am at my 5 wood distance and the gap isn't that far from my driving iron. I may even shift my 3wood to a 4 wood to bring that gap a little closer.

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
3W:  Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 2
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50º: Maltby TSW

56º:  Cleveland RTX-2 
60º: Maltby Tour Grind MG
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot RX 2-ball

Ball: Snell MTB X
Other: Game Golf Live
Handicap: 5.9  -  Best Score: 73 (1 over) Bryan Park - Players Course, Greensboro NC -2020

2020 MGS Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

I also have several questions. Is the Hybrid replacing an iron? Secondly, how confident are you hitting wedge shots, can you open the blade and still make perfect contact etc. My set is 1-3 Wood, 18* Hybrid, 4-9, PW 45* AW 50* SW 54* wedges. The reason I have the Hybrid is that the course I play is really tight and has a number of dog legs that when playing off Blue I need to extra distance the Hybrid provides.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 48 and 54 Degree Wedges Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway Clubs

Callaway Big Bertha Putter - for when it is wet

La Jolla Putter with Flat Car Grip.

Preferred ball - Currently Costco Kirkland Performance 3 Piece but Seed 001 is preferred.

I took my 3 wood out of play to add a 52* wedge and narrow my gap to 48/52/56/60 ... Been playing without the 3 wood for 3 weeks now and not really missing it.  

• Like 1

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

On 7/26/2020 at 7:20 PM, CarlH said:

I took my 3 wood out of play to add a 52* wedge and narrow my gap to 48/52/56/60 ... Been playing without the 3 wood for 3 weeks now and not really missing it.  

Sounds like you made a correct move. Goal is to cover yardage gaps. Like the wedge setup you list. 

I've adjusted recently to create better gapping and am currently using a PW (46), Gap (50), Sand (54) and Lob (58). Have not played a round yet but I think this will fill a lot of holes for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Fit your gaps. Most people find full swings easier than partial shots with wedges, so I’d start there. Also, short game options and creativity drop your score faster than almost anything else. So without any insight into your game, I’d fill gap with a wedge. If you have good gaps with your wedge setup now, or you really don’t have the length to get to a lot of par 4s, go with the hybrid. 

• Like 1

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 106mph

Driver: Ping i25, S-flex PWR 65 shaft
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3i: FOURTEEN FH-1000, DG X100
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

I use to carry 52, 56 and 60' wedges until last year and ended up removing the 60' and replaced it with a 2nd hybrid. My distances for the 4H is 195,  3H is about 205 and my 3w  is about 225. On start back after lockdown my chipping has been letting me down especially when I tried to open the face of the 56' yesterday dropped the 3H and put back in the 60'. Pretty happy used it 3 or 4 times and got up and down, so it's staying it the bag. It does give me a little more versatility I have a half shot with my wedges that cover 50, 60 and 70 yds and full shots 90, 100 and 110. 

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag