Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Hybrid or Third Wedge

Easton Radcliff

Depends on your game, your courses, and your preferences? A few questions I have, what the distance gap between your longest iron and shortest wood? How often do you have that distance? How comfortable are you with partial wedge shots?

I recently made the choice to remove my 5 wood and add a 60* to the bag. I rarely am at my 5 wood distance and the gap isn't that far from my driving iron. I may even shift my 3wood to a 4 wood to bring that gap a little closer.

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

• 2 months later...

I also have several questions. Is the Hybrid replacing an iron? Secondly, how confident are you hitting wedge shots, can you open the blade and still make perfect contact etc. My set is 1-3 Wood, 18* Hybrid, 4-9, PW 45* AW 50* SW 54* wedges. The reason I have the Hybrid is that the course I play is really tight and has a number of dog legs that when playing off Blue I need to extra distance the Hybrid provides.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

I took my 3 wood out of play to add a 52* wedge and narrow my gap to 48/52/56/60 ... Been playing without the 3 wood for 3 weeks now and not really missing it.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

On 7/26/2020 at 7:20 PM, CarlH said:

I took my 3 wood out of play to add a 52* wedge and narrow my gap to 48/52/56/60 ... Been playing without the 3 wood for 3 weeks now and not really missing it.  

Sounds like you made a correct move. Goal is to cover yardage gaps. Like the wedge setup you list. 

Fit your gaps. Most people find full swings easier than partial shots with wedges, so I’d start there. Also, short game options and creativity drop your score faster than almost anything else. So without any insight into your game, I’d fill gap with a wedge. If you have good gaps with your wedge setup now, or you really don’t have the length to get to a lot of par 4s, go with the hybrid. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

I use to carry 52, 56 and 60' wedges until last year and ended up removing the 60' and replaced it with a 2nd hybrid. My distances for the 4H is 195,  3H is about 205 and my 3w  is about 225. On start back after lockdown my chipping has been letting me down especially when I tried to open the face of the 56' yesterday dropped the 3H and put back in the 60'. Pretty happy used it 3 or 4 times and got up and down, so it's staying it the bag. It does give me a little more versatility I have a half shot with my wedges that cover 50, 60 and 70 yds and full shots 90, 100 and 110. 

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag