TESTERS WANTED! ×

Hacker's Hideout

GolfSpy Dave

Ok....for my acceptance into this group, I played my first 9 holes yesterday. Shot a smooth 50 (index of 10.7), including the three ESC holes, lol.

I was rusty to say the least. At least the hosel-rocket issue from my first range session was no where in sight....instead I had a funky over the top move going strong.

Always another day's challenge, lol.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did laugh though now that the knock down 7 iron for 180 yards is now in the bag.

Stupid game...

You don't already have the knockdown 7 from 180 into the fan??

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

Ok....for my acceptance into this group, I played my first 9 holes yesterday. Shot a smooth 50 (index of 10.7), including the three ESC holes, lol.

I was rusty to say the least. At least the hosel-rocket issue from my first range session was no where in sight....instead I had a funky over the top move going strong.

Always another day's challenge, lol.

Anyone swinging OTT is welcome in the hideout. :D

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

No offense...but I don't intend to be doing that long. Of all the mistakes to make, that is one I can't stand.

Me either, and yet it is the one that seems to linger the longest...

Volvo Intorqueo

Me either, and yet it is the one that seems to linger the longest...

standing at the bottom of the pool....... bottom of the pool....

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• 2 weeks later...

I just shot the second worst nine of my life, 69. I should have stayed home and punched myself in the face for an hour and a half. It would have been a lot cheaper. The only good thing about my round was going eight holes without losing a ball. One of the worst was losing four balls in a row on the ninth.

Striving For Mediocrity

P4P, sorry to hear about the 69. The first thing I saw when I looked at your post was 69 and I thought, "GET OUT OF THE HIDEOUT!" and then I saw the rest of it.

I had my first range session post-disaster and felt pretty good. It seems that during my disaster round, there wasn't any one thing out of place or anything that needs to be fixed with a lesson - it was more of an "everything goes wrong at once" thing. Got back to fundamentals today, good set up, balance, tempo, and I was hitting the ball nicely. Hopefully I can get out one more time before Wednesday as I'm planning to play Cog Hill then.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 4 weeks later...
  • SPY VIP

So I shelled out the big bux for some lessons. Sucking was starting to influence wether or not I wanted to even play...

Had the first one, and low and behold, I am too fast from the top. I hear you Nic...

Plus, I am shifting my weight too far to the right on the backswing and thus having to go OTT to even get to the ball.

ugh

Anyway... The lesson really left me with some solid drills to work on my mess. 500 balls later this week and I was out to play 18 on Thursday. Made it through 7 and my phone rang that my seven year old had a 102 fever. Had to bail the course, of course. Daughter was nice enough to drop the fever so I could get in 9 the next day. What a good girl. :)

So the play. My iron play was vastly improved. Not many GIR still, but the flight was way closer to target than a week ago. Driver was about 50/50, but I had not hit it all week on the range. Putting average, chipping average to poor, pitching, total mess. Why is it so fricking hard to hit a ball in the air for 30 feet? Needles to say, this is the topic for this week's lesson. Overall a success though. Even with the pitch to chip type progression on most holes, I still shot 46 for nine yesterday. Nothing but 2 putts too. Encouraging. I know that I can break 90 this summer if I can just learn to pitch/chip better.

I also need to pick a putter and stick with it. My Byron count doubled to 4 this week, along with a Sizemore that I picked up a week or so ago. All good, but nothing feels great at this point. Maybe the new Spider. :rolleyes:

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

What kind of things are you doing to prevent swaying back?

Rolled towel under the right foot and just starting with a little more weight left at address. Made a huge difference, as long as I keep tempo.

As soon as I get quick again, it all still falls apart though

Volvo Intorqueo

• 1 month later...
  • SPY VIP

Been away from the hide out for a month. 3 lessons down. Feel much better with the wedges. Pitching and the occasional flop are vastly improved. Driver is a dirty, dirty wild animal. Irons OK as long as I keep tempo in the ballpark.

Driver fitting this week, maybe Thursday if the heat dials down a bit.

Volvo Intorqueo

Just a little story to give you guys hope:

I started golfing probably 15 years ago. I had a buddy who was an avid golfer, and he got me into it, and we played some. Then I met another friend and he got me REALLY into playing. We'd play a couple times a week, more if we could. Did that for 10 years, just going out and hitting the ball, usually badly, and I didn't really mind, I'd never had a lesson, never really thought of taking it. I'd have people comment on how my fundamentals were all off, but I'd see them hit bad shots too and figured my way seemed as good as thiers. Then I somehow started playing with a guy who was to me then actually a "good golfer". He was probably a 10-12 HC. I don't know how that guy stood to play with us, we were terrible, but he did and we all had a great time and he'd shoot 78 and I'd shoot 98. For some reason, one time he pulled me aside and said: "look, I play with you once a week, and you play more than that. you're athletic, in good shape, you have the physical ability to do better than what you're doing, but whenever anyone tries to help you, your reaction ranges from disinterest to almost hostile. If you don't want help that is cool, but I think in 15 minutes I can show you a better way to putt. Will you let me try?" And he did, and I still putt the way he showed me, and my putting is now a strong part of my game.

After that, my whole mentality toward the game changed. I don't know if I just didn't believe I could get better or what, but that next year, I got a handicap for the first time and took 5 lessons from our course pro. He took me from a 22 to a 12 in one summer. I was shooting regularly in the 80s, whereas before I was THRILLED with a 95. It was like a revelation! The next year I took a set of lessons from another guy that teaches out of our course. Took me from a 12 to an 8! It took me all summer, but I still remember FINALLY breaking 80! Two years ago, I shot par for the first (and only) time, my goal now for the past two years has been to shoot under par. The way I look at the game and enjoy it has changed completely for me. Before, it was all about hanging out and having some beers and being outside with friends. Now it is STILL that, but its also about PLAYING the game of golf as well as I can.

I agree with Ben Hogan who says in Five Lessons: "I see no reason, truly, why the average golfer, if he goes about it intelligently, shouldn't play in the 70's - and I mean by playing the types of shots a fine golfer plays." I believe he is absolutely correct. I see and play with guys all the time that are exactly like I was, guys that play more than me, and can't break 90. And while I know that not that long ago I was one of them, they now perplex me. Because imo the true joy of golf is in the game itself. All the other things that come with the game, the cameraderie, the beauty of the course, the fresh air and the sun, all of that is inherent in the game, but the the game itself is to me about learning how to bring your mind and body together and hit a beautiful shot, and ANYONE can do that!

Anyhow, as a former hack, I salute all of you, and yet still hope that you will all have a time like I did when my friend pulled me aside and said basically, "you CAN do this, please LET me show you!"

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

What kind of things are you doing to prevent swaying back?

At address, move your right knee in to a line under your right armpit. If you move it too deep it will hurt on your backswing so experiment a bit. Do it just right and it should prevent swaying back.

Shambles

• SPY VIP

Just a little story to give you guys hope:

I started golfing probably 15 years ago. I had a buddy who was an avid golfer, and he got me into it, and we played some. Then I met another friend and he got me REALLY into playing. We'd play a couple times a week, more if we could. Did that for 10 years, just going out and hitting the ball, usually badly, and I didn't really mind, I'd never had a lesson, never really thought of taking it. I'd have people comment on how my fundamentals were all off, but I'd see them hit bad shots too and figured my way seemed as good as thiers. Then I somehow started playing with a guy who was to me then actually a "good golfer". He was probably a 10-12 HC. I don't know how that guy stood to play with us, we were terrible, but he did and we all had a great time and he'd shoot 78 and I'd shoot 98. For some reason, one time he pulled me aside and said: "look, I play with you once a week, and you play more than that. you're athletic, in good shape, you have the physical ability to do better than what you're doing, but whenever anyone tries to help you, your reaction ranges from disinterest to almost hostile. If you don't want help that is cool, but I think in 15 minutes I can show you a better way to putt. Will you let me try?" And he did, and I still putt the way he showed me, and my putting is now a strong part of my game.

After that, my whole mentality toward the game changed. I don't know if I just didn't believe I could get better or what, but that next year, I got a handicap for the first time and took 5 lessons from our course pro. He took me from a 22 to a 12 in one summer. I was shooting regularly in the 80s, whereas before I was THRILLED with a 95. It was like a revelation! The next year I took a set of lessons from another guy that teaches out of our course. Took me from a 12 to an 8! It took me all summer, but I still remember FINALLY breaking 80! Two years ago, I shot par for the first (and only) time, my goal now for the past two years has been to shoot under par. The way I look at the game and enjoy it has changed completely for me. Before, it was all about hanging out and having some beers and being outside with friends. Now it is STILL that, but its also about PLAYING the game of golf as well as I can.

I agree with Ben Hogan who says in Five Lessons: "I see no reason, truly, why the average golfer, if he goes about it intelligently, shouldn't play in the 70's - and I mean by playing the types of shots a fine golfer plays." I believe he is absolutely correct. I see and play with guys all the time that are exactly like I was, guys that play more than me, and can't break 90. And while I know that not that long ago I was one of them, they now perplex me. Because imo the true joy of golf is in the game itself. All the other things that come with the game, the cameraderie, the beauty of the course, the fresh air and the sun, all of that is inherent in the game, but the the game itself is to me about learning how to bring your mind and body together and hit a beautiful shot, and ANYONE can do that!

Anyhow, as a former hack, I salute all of you, and yet still hope that you will all have a time like I did when my friend pulled me aside and said basically, "you CAN do this, please LET me show you!"

Thanks for the pep talk. Another lesson this weekend to put the water back in the bathtub, lol.

I suppose that slow improvement is still improvement at this point.

Volvo Intorqueo

So, the last time I played golf I decided to play from the red tees and to use my five iron off the tee on all of the par 4's and 5's. It's fun. Now I know what it's like to be able to hit greens in regulation and what it's like to not have to hit 3 wood for every second shot. Golf is good. Now all I have to do if figure out how to hit my driver further than 140 yards and without a 20 yard slice.

Striving For Mediocrity

My instructor told me something that helped me alot, he said "you know, you really are not 'hitting' the ball, you are swinging a club in a circle, having already placed a ball in its path". I don't know why that helps me put the golf swing in perspective, but it does.

So, the last time I played golf I decided to play from the red tees and to use my five iron off the tee on all of the par 4's and 5's. It's fun. Now I know what it's like to be able to hit greens in regulation and what it's like to not have to hit 3 wood for every second shot. Golf is good. Now all I have to do if figure out how to hit my driver further than 140 yards and without a 20 yard slice.

When I had an unlimited play pass, I used to do this, except I would still hit driver. Now that I pay per round, I feel obliged to play "real golf" (not sure why). Playing up is a lot of fun and it shows you some things about your game: mainly the importance of playing well inside 100 yards.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

When I had an unlimited play pass, I used to do this, except I would still hit driver. Now that I pay per round, I feel obliged to play "real golf" (not sure why). Playing up is a lot of fun and it shows you some things about your game: mainly the importance of playing well inside 100 yards.

I do this occasionally just because it is good practice for attacking pins and getting a lot of birdie putts. And it's just plain more fun.

In high school I was a tow year captain and fired mid to high 70's for the most part 85 was dreadful. After I decided not to play at a smaller school in college and go to ohio state I left the game lost the love for it I suppose, but then my brother picked the game up and after a year off a three years after firing a 71 at the arizona junior am, I traded my my x-18's and bought some ap-1's. I shot low nineties and high eighties and have broke 85 twice since starting back up in late april. On vacation I hit shot a 78 and felt i was back...

But then today I shot a 99, and i cannot stop thinking about what went wrong, I love the game again but knowing what I used to be able to do and what I do now makes me almost insane. I feel so uncomfortable when I address the ball to the point where I waggle for a good 45 to a minute over the ball. Than i know my shoulder dips but it all comes down to me not mentally being strong enough, I feel like I cannot do anything right on the course to the point where all the things i am imagining I will do wrong actually happen and then I know what i did, I have had a few melt downs on the course which are rather entertaining for my playing group and once these blow ups happen I feel like I have nothing to loose and I play incredible. Any tips on how to feel comfortable on the course? I know routines are a big part but I can seem to find a good one, and any tips on how u keep composure? I know i am supposed to be having fun and 75% of the time I do, but today was not one of those days so I am venting on here lol

Callaway FT-3/ Vodoo

Callaway Fusion/ Vodoo

Nickent 4dx hybrid 17 degree

Titleist AP2 4-pw/ project x

Callaway forged 56 degre

Rife island series "abaco"

Wow... can't believe it took me this long to see this thread!

My story... I started playing golf in 1975 in Okinawa, Japan while stationed at Naha Air Base with the US Air Force. I was bascially trying to find something to do while the wife was at work, as we worked different shifts.

I was introduced to an "old man" (well dammit, he was at THAT time... now I think I'm him) who was retired from the USAF and played the course at Naha every day that didn't include a typhoon or snow.

The guy took me under his wing and showed me the ropes. He straightened out my slice, taught me that I didn't have to try and kill the ball on every shot, and taught me a little about course management. Naha was a 9 hole course with water or sand on EVERY hole and course management and trouble avoidance was very important.

I played about 300 days a year for the next 2.5 years and got pretty good. I was a 4 handicap on the Naha course and had a few below par rounds. When I got on some of the "bigger" courses, I could really kick butt. It wasn't because of my length, as I've never been a long ball player, but damn... I could hit it straight!

Anyway... I left Naha and to make a long story short (I know.. its already long :P ) I quit playing golf for any of a dozen not very good reasons.

My wife and I are trying to lose weight and get back in some kind of shape, so we started playing again last year, after a 30+ year break. OH MY GAWD... First time out... 121. Second time 117. Third time 120. ACK... WHAT HAPPENED?

I couldn't even shoot my age on 9... (56). I got so mad that I about threw the clubs away, but I held my temper long enough to sign up for some lessons. I was reminded of a lot of things that old guy at Naha taught me. But it seemed that my body just didn't work the way it did back then. Hmm... wonder why THAT might be?? ;)

After a week of lessons, I was at least back under 110. My goal for the year became to break 100. I finally did that a few times toward the end of our season (I'm in Wyoming and we are about done by Oct) and actually shot a 92 one day. I gave myself a celebratory gift and bought some half decent clubs to start the new year with.

This year, I started off back over 100... ugh. Oh well, I blame rust. I haven't been back under 100 yet after 7 or 8 rounds... been in the low 100s though.

I'm taking next week off work and am going to play about 7 out of 9 days and I'm hoping I'll be back in the 90s by the time the week is out.

THEN... my goal will be to break 90 for the year. If I do it... heh heh... look out checkbook... it'll be time for some even better clubs. *grin*

Now I'll stop rambling. Thanks for this hangout. Its nice to be reminded there are others out there who struggle too, and don't rip every drive straight down the middle at 300+ yards. :P

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

Welcome back to the game cheymike! A 30 year layoff?! First: shame on you! You should know better! 2nd: That's alot of rust! Some of the muscles you used to swing with might not even be there anymore!

Hope you're buyin' new sticks soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the week off was awesome. Yep, got back into the mid 90s by mid week. I was pretty happy about that. Now shooting for breaking 90. I'll say one thing though.. .that 30 years of rust... heh... some of it is still around. About 1/2 way thru round number 7 for the week, my body told me YOU HAVE HAD ENOUGH!! LOL!

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

• 2 months later...
  • SPY VIP

Playing much better, but the OTT with the driver is making me crazy. On the edge of breaking 90 for the first time ever if I can just hit the fairway more or miss it closer...

Found this simple drill on youtube:

Seems goofy, but after hitting practice balls in the back yard, I know that I have a better feeling for what my right hand/arm should be doing.

Off to the range in an hour. I'll report back.

Volvo Intorqueo

Archived