TESTERS WANTED! ×

Hacker's Hideout

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

As a big number player, I just thought I would carve out a little bit of board space where players who can't "shoot their pants"* can hang out and post questions about what others are doing to get better, describe the small victories and setbacks of playing, and just basically vent/find support for that 12 you just carded for that par 3....

We love the game, kind of suck at it right now, but are working to improve.

Low number players can offer suggestions and help like "I used to do that too". Be helpful though. Ha Ha, you suck is not helpful.

*Shooting your pants is basically combining your waist and inseam measurements as your target score. 66 for me. No f-ing way. So far, the smallest pants I could wear and make it are about 45x46...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally, A place I belong...

lets see.. 32x32 = no chance...

maybe 32x32x32 = a feasible target for this year...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

Finally, A place I belong...

lets see.. 32x32 = no chance...

maybe 32x32x32 = a feasible target for this year...

You know, that is not bad. That makes my magic number 96 too. We get to count both legs...

Volvo Intorqueo

There you go... my original goal this year was to break 100 on a regular basis, but 96 sounds a lot better, and is still in the achievable range...

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

There you go... my original goal this year was to break 100 on a regular basis, but 96 sounds a lot better, and is still in the achievable range...

I am hoping that this is the year of high 80's. However, lots of 96s and very few 105 explosions would be just fine.

We should use this thread to discuss our rounds. What we scored, where we lost strokes, and etc.

Volvo Intorqueo

I think that's a great idea, even if I just use it to keep track for my own records and I can see where I keep making mistakes, and get some help from the other hackers...

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

I think that's a great idea, even if I just use it to keep track for my own records and I can see where I keep making mistakes, and get some help from the other hackers...

Maybe we should take the advice of the good players too. I do for see my usual "So I triple chipped my way to a double." coming out too often.

Volvo Intorqueo

Maybe we should take the advice of the good players too. I do for see my usual "So I triple chipped my way to a double." coming out too often.

Triple-chipping is one of the worst feelings ever, but I've found a lot of it is mental. It's kind of tricky to concentrate on that next shot after duffing a chip.

• SPY VIP

Triple-chipping is one of the worst feelings ever, but I've found a lot of it is mental. It's kind of tricky to concentrate on that next shot after duffing a chip.

The third one for me is usually quite good for that exact reason. Duff the first, pissed and nervous on the second, couldn't give a s**t on the third.

Whatever, it's just golf should be the new mantra.

Volvo Intorqueo

Does anyone notice that the putts you don't care about are the ones you make, or are closest to the hole? Or is that just me???

Oh yea... when I have a really long putt and I say to myself just put it close, there's no chance it's going in... BAM... in the hole...

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Shooting my pants.... 29-30. only on Tiger Woods 2005 for Xbox. I think that I must have the record for biggest range of scores between 2 consecutive 9's though...

front 9 49 +13

back 9 34 -2

Differential 15 shots

total score ..... my normal 83

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I have decided to set goals for myself this year because in years past I have just went out and played. My goals this year are:

1. Improve my tee shots...I tend to lose a lot of shots off the tee when I get lazy with my swing.

2. Improve ball striking...I leave a lot of shots short of greens and I need more GIR.

3. Instead of aiming at the pin every time I plan on going for the safest spot on the green.

4. Working on my lay up ranges. I feel that I try to milk all the distance I can out of every club, but I need to put myself in more favorable positions.

Hopefully, if I can work on these things and get better at those then I can lower my scores dramatically.

• SPY VIP

I have decided to set goals for myself this year because in years past I have just went out and played. My goals this year are:

1. Improve my tee shots...I tend to lose a lot of shots off the tee when I get lazy with my swing.

2. Improve ball striking...I leave a lot of shots short of greens and I need more GIR.

3. Instead of aiming at the pin every time I plan on going for the safest spot on the green.

4. Working on my lay up ranges. I feel that I try to milk all the distance I can out of every club, but I need to put myself in more favorable positions.

Hopefully, if I can work on these things and get better at those then I can lower my scores dramatically.

These are great. I have to stop at #2 though. I still just try to hit ANY part of the green in reg. Good Luck! :)

Volvo Intorqueo

Last year my goal was to work on my putting, and I think it helped a lot... I shaved about 3-4 strokes off my scores, but I also realized that I was leaving myself WAY to far from the hole. So my goals for this year:

1. Work on my chipping so I don't have to make as many long putts.

2. Work on my alignment with my irons (keep the ball in the fairway)

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

Putting is the one thing that I don't "work" on. When I try and make it by the rules, I start missing a ton. Aim past the hole when it is up hill and in front on down hill. No line. stand over it and feel where it should go. I do go to the practice green after work all the time and I have a 8ft Izzo green in the office...

Sounds kooky, but that is my strongest part of the game. Even on rough greens, three puts are not that common.

This is why the irons piss me off. If I could hit a GIR, my putting would help me go much lower. The extra shot after I miss kills me. Working on chipping to address this too.

Volvo Intorqueo

Thats my cue to post my 2 tee drills for you guys.

Here are some drills that I do when I practice putting and thought I would share them with you guys.

1. Consistently hitting the middle of the club face.

• Find a straight putt

• Set your putter down so it is 3-4 feet from the hole and square the face.

• Set 1 infront of the toe at address and 1 before the heel

• Make 25 in a row. If you miss, start again. After 25, keep trying to get 50.

•You can move back a foot and try this again.

This drill also gives me confidence on the knee knockers.

2. Making the putt in the heart of the cup.

• Place 2 tees in front of the hole just about an 1/8 of an inch larger than the Diameter of a ball.

• Try making 10 2 footers. and 10 3 footers

3. Laser like precision

• Find a breaking putt.

• Put 1 tee down where you are going to putt and another on your intended line.

• Try and hit the tee thats on the line and then putt back to your starting tee.

4. Agressive Lag

• Put 2 tees about 2 feet apart 18 inches behind a hole and try and lag it so that the ball either goes in the hole or stops before crossing the imaginary line the tees make.

5. Another Lag drill

•Place a tee 3 feet from the edge of the fringe and another 3 feet before the first.

•Try Lagging the first putt between the tees and then try lagging the second between the tee and the fringe

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

Another thing that I am trying to do is if I make bad shot, which happens more often than I would like, then I try to figure out a score that I will get on that hole. A good example is if I am on a par 4 and I hit a good tee shot and then hit a poor second shot then my goal is to go for par or no worse than bogey. I feel that if I still try to get it tight to have a chance to run it in for birdie then I put more pressure on myself.

I currently shoot in the mid to high 80s. But as a Soph. in HS, I shot in the 140s in tournys.

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

Sactown, this is a great thread, and I think it will be helpful to lots of people. I think a lot of people are "afraid" to talk about their game on a forum when there's so much boasting/bs-ing about 300+ yard drives and breaking 70, and hopefully this thread will be a good place for people to talk about the game they actually play. I started playing seriously about 6 years ago and have gone from shooting 120's to being consistently in the mid to low 80's, with a couple of heartbreaking 80's last summer. I know I still have a lot to learn and there's a lot of room to improve, so I'm definitely eager to get any tips that I can. What I'm most eager for is to play golf, enough snow!

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Sactown, this is a great thread, and I think it will be helpful to lots of people. I think a lot of people are "afraid" to talk about their game on a forum when there's so much boasting/bs-ing about 300+ yard drives and breaking 70, and hopefully this thread will be a good place for people to talk about the game they actually play. I started playing seriously about 6 years ago and have gone from shooting 120's to being consistently in the mid to low 80's, with a couple of heartbreaking 80's last summer. I know I still have a lot to learn and there's a lot of room to improve, so I'm definitely eager to get any tips that I can. What I'm most eager for is to play golf, enough snow!

Thanks for the +1. I have posted and lurked a other boards (starts with a G ends with an X) and it always seemed like when someone asks an honest question about getting better, or looked for others who shared the struggle, the replies were quick and quite acidic. Having someone say "go get al lesson noob" is surprisingly not all that helpful. I don't think that we need to form a circle and hold hands, but knowing that someone else also snatched defeat from the jaws of victory is helpful.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

Just got home, today was a beating. Driver, putter and I are still buddies, but my GD irons will be the death of me. Hole 1 driver OK. 6i 45* rt. Looked like a ride at the fair. Walk over calmly address with 8i. Same ball flight and miss. Walked over with 50*, same thing. finally chip on, 2 putt and sulk to the next hole. Hit 2H into 220. Miss tiny bit left. Ball below feet. 45* chip miss. Chip on, 1 putt. bogey. Got better later, probably as the old muscles warmed up, but what a let down.

Friday at the range, my iron swing felt so good. It felt like I turned a corner. Then to triple the first par 4. Frustrating.

Driver was big and straight though. Putter was money. Irons are killing me!

Volvo Intorqueo

Well said sir.

All I can say is you guys need to drink more beer! My pants target would be 74 (40 X 34). Hell, I'd have to go full mid-life crisis like Kevin Spacey in American Beauty - divorce my wife, give her full custody of the kids, and quit my job and play golf 7 days a week to get down to a 2.

I'm better off just hanging out here with you guys. :blink:

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Thanks for the +1. I have posted and lurked a other boards (starts with a G ends with an X) and it always seemed like when someone asks an honest question about getting better, or looked for others who shared the struggle, the replies were quick and quite acidic. Having someone say "go get al lesson noob" is surprisingly not all that helpful. I don't think that we need to form a circle and hold hands, but knowing that someone else also snatched defeat from the jaws of victory is helpful.

I've had identical experiences on that same board and I've been a member over there since 06'.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

I've had identical experiences on that same board and I've been a member over there since 06'.

Let's just say that I would not post about today's mess over there.

Volvo Intorqueo

Let's just say that I would not post about today's mess over there.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. That would be U-G-L-Y.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

It sure seems like everyone on the other board hit driver like 320, and wedge from 150, and carries a + index. I wonder why I never EVER see those guys on the course?? Sorry about the tough round today Sactown. It will return. I promise.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

It sure seems like everyone on the other board hit driver like 320, and wedge from 150, and carries a + index. I wonder why I never EVER see those guys on the course?? Sorry about the tough round today Sactown. It will return. I promise.

Good Gosh, 36x30, I am done for also! I would never break 100, for the past 10 years, every now and then, close. Then, took four lessons 3 years ago, then 3 more last Spring, and I am going to do 3 more this Spring. Last year I broke into the 80s 3 times, first times ever. My point being, even a super casual golfer, a lesson or two will work wonders, especially seeing your swing on video!!!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Archived