TESTERS WANTED! ×

Hacker's Hideout

GolfSpy Dave

Wow... what a weekend. Played Friday and shot a 91. Played Sat and recorded my best score since returning to the game. 87!! YESSSSS.... finally broke into the 80s! Then came Sunday and a return to reality... 94. ;) *SIGH* The golf gods hate me. LOL!

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeay! A place for me!

Started playing March 2010 and shooting low 100's at the moment.

Like I mentioned on my "introduction post" I think video games do help a big deal with putting. When you have to calculate bullet drop and velocity hitting moving targets, it makes putting a slow ball into a static hole so simple :D

I think my iron game is OK, still dig a big chunk of fairway every now and then.

My biggest problem is slicing my woods (especially driver). There is also a thread about this in the Golf University section, so if I get to shoot some range balls on Friday, I'll record myself and would love to hear your suggestions and tips. I'm so sure I can shave 10+ strokes once I stop going OB or to the wrong fairway.

Max temperatures right now are around 45* Fahrenheit, so I guess golfing season is over :lol:

I do have one tip for those who struggle with chipping though:

The chipping technique I learned was the typical feet shoulder-wide, hands forward and all-shoulder movement.

I realized I would hit it thin most of the time, so an experienced golfer I met in a tournament taught me another way:

If you are good at putting, then this chipping method is right for you. You basically use 7, 8 or 9 irons for this (depending on how high the ball needs to fly or how much it needs to roll).

Use your putting grip, don't let your hands go forward, hold them in the middle just like when you are putting and do the pendulum stroke you use for putting (no wrists).

Unless you hit it fat or thin while putting, this technique should help you strike the ball on the sweet spot almost every time.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Steven.. I understand completely your feeling about the OB/wrong fairway/deep rough drives and how fixing those will drop 10 strokes. It will definitely help.

But, don't be too disappointed if you still have some of those. The PGA tour average for driving accuracy is only 6 out of 10 fairways hit and those are the best players in the world!

I had a string going where I hit a LOT of fairways after having my driver cut down to 44" and I made the mistake of talking about it. Then Justin jinxed me and I'm back to my normal 50-60%. :lol:

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

LOL cheymike

In that case, I do feel a lot better :lol: Thanks!

With the winter coming, I sure hope to forget all about my golf swing and start fresh next spring... since I got more bad habits than good ones, not remembering how to swing a club could be a positive thing!

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

After the way I played today, I'm glad this thread was bumped. Golf swing 2.0 still has lots of bugs and I was hitting massive hooks or blocks/shanks all day. I had a stretch of 5-6 holes in the middle of the round where I played passable golf, but then it was back to being a mess. What made it worse was the pace of play...it was a long, slow death. And then what happens on the last hole? Birdie. Stupid f***ing game.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I had a string going where I hit a LOT of fairways after having my driver cut down to 44" and I made the mistake of talking about it. Then Justin jinxed me and I'm back to my normal 50-60%. :)

I will gladly man up and take full responsibility for that Mike :P . In my defense, though, you showcased perfectly the positives of a proper fitting (say that three times fast... it's a LOT easier to type). As Grif from Red v. Blue says: "One day, and I don't know when, I'm gonna learn to keep my mouth shut" LOL.

Steven, I agree with you when it comes to the video game/golf connection. I actually learned alot about course management playing the Tiger Woods golf games. I just made a character as honestly as I possibly could that resembled myself (I made him better looking, though...) and just played. Learning things like clubbing up to elevated greens, clubbing down when the wind's at your back... all kinds of stuff.

I also read an article in Golf Illustrated (a very good, venerable and underrated magazine in my opinion) a while back that describes the golf swing like the kicking-power meters in the Madden and NCAA football games. When you hit the "x" button, the meter starts up slowly. When it gets to the top, you hit "x" againto make it pause just a bit and start back down. Here's where the one difference lies: as the meter starts back down, it accelerates. Instead of hitting the "x" button to make it stop, you just let it fly through the "hit zone". That's how I view my swing: slow to the top, a little pause once I'm there, then a gradual acceleration through impact, with (hopefully) the fastest part of the swing being just past the ball (the "hitting zone"). It sounds a little dorky to me, but it has for sure enhanced my tempo and timing.

Justin,

I don't think it's dorky at all. It's actually a pretty good way to visualize the golf swing.

I used to play a lot of tennis games on my PS1, PS2, etc. and I imagine the club face is my tennis racquet so I can impart top spin or back spin as I desire (analogue to hooking or slicing).

And then you have First Person Shooters, those are the biggest aid for putting. Just imagine the hole is someone's head running from left to right and you just aim the bullet a few feet ahead of his path. Kind of the same situation when reading green breaks.

LOL and I thought I was the only geek combining video games with golf :)

Justin,

I don't think it's dorky at all. It's actually a pretty good way to visualize the golf swing.

I used to play a lot of tennis games on my PS1, PS2, etc. and I imagine the club face is my tennis racquet so I can impart top spin or back spin as I desire (analogue to hooking or slicing).

And then you have First Person Shooters, those are the biggest aid for putting. Just imagine the hole is someone's head running from left to right and you just aim the bullet a few feet ahead of his path. Kind of the same situation when reading green breaks.

LOL and I thought I was the only geek combining video games with golf ;)

No, sir. You are not alone in geekiness- not while I'm around!

• 1 year later...
  • SPY VIP

So I had to dig out the hideout after going to the range today. Why is it that I can hit everything fairly well now except driver? Scores have been good recently, but that's because my irons and putting have been solid. Anyone else live through this hell?

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

So I had to dig out the hideout after going to the range today. Why is it that I can hit everything fairly well now except driver? Scores have been good recently, but that's because my irons and putting have been solid. Anyone else live through this hell?

My personal hell for me is the 3 wood and hybrids. I can hit a driver really well, same with irons. I think it's mental as much as anything else, on the range I can hit beauties with these clubs.

I am. Drives are all being pulled or sliced. Irons and putting are saving my scores.

I may not be allowed to comment on this thread. ;) I have the Callaway Razr Fit and a Talamonti PD 80. Everything about it should make it a permenant fixture in the bag, it feels great, and is long, great sound, awesome looks, but I do not hit it in the fairway as often as I would like. I put a GD Tour ADDI in an old Titleist 905R and hit 40 of 40 fairways with it this weekend. Maybe not as long as the Callaway, but not more than a few yards if any. I still need a bit higher trajectory but I am nitpicking now.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

After my Sunday round, I want to hide out! Going well through 6, but the wheels feel off at 7. Normally reliable 3-wood off the tee went sideways...driver wasn't all that bad, but irons and hybrids -- normally more reliable - decided to hate me.

Played with a guy who was gaming a MacGregor MacTec driver. Gave it a whack on one hole and hit my best drive of the day by FAR. Could it be?.......

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

My current personal hell are my hybrids. Supposed to be some of the easiest clubs in the bag to hit- go figure. It's an over-swinging, over-the-top move that I can feel as it's happening, but feel powerless to correct. Maybe they need to live in the closet for a few rounds.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

i can't believe i only discovered this thread now.

look forward to posting some complaints about my high scores soon ;-)

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

• SPY VIP

So golf may be stupid. Tweaked a bit on the range and scored low round for the summer (40) on the quick after work nine. I even added a new item to my golf resume, the three putt par. 487 par 5-Driver, 5i, putt-putt-putt. Totally bricked the "ohmyitsaneagleputt" from 30 feet. ended up 12' short :( followed in Rory's footsteps and balanced the next putt on the edge of the cup. Putt 3 was 1/8th of an inch in length. Made that one B)

That's right, tout pro putting for this kid!

Driver was a long drawing machine. I think it knew I was driver shopping in the pro shop. Anser driver is very pretty, btw.

Let's see what type of production it has today and Friday on the course...

Volvo Intorqueo

Okay, so it's still really wet over here in New Zealand (6th day of spring and all) but honestly, short par-3 GW 10-feet right of the green MAX in the rough. I was pretty pissed anyway, but could it be found... no! I positive it must've plugged 3-ft deep and the hole closed up around it, because all four of us spent an age trying to find it... really didn't need that. Topped off the round with a 'Schwartzel-esque' four-putt from five feet.

The silver lining ... my next round is bound to get better...

Okay, so it's still really wet over here in New Zealand (6th day of spring and all) but honestly, short par-3 GW 10-feet right of the green MAX in the rough. I was pretty pissed anyway, but could it be found... no! I positive it must've plugged 3-ft deep and the hole closed up around it, because all four of us spent an age trying to find it... really didn't need that. Topped off the round with a 'Schwartzel-esque' four-putt from five feet.

The silver lining ... my next round is bound to get better...

Losing my ball this way is probably my biggest pet peeve about golf. You know where it went, you know where it should be and yet no one can find it.

Losing my ball this way is probably my biggest pet peeve about golf. You know where it went, you know where it should be and yet no one can find it.

...especially when where it landed was the closest any of our foursome got to the green... not ideal, but I guess that the challenge of this game is a big part of why we love it. If everything was consistent and predictable then there'd be a whole lot fewer stories to tell on the 19th... and to be fair, that's why a lot of people I know play the first 18 holes...

• 2 weeks later...

so i played (or should i say hacked...) my way to a score of 109 over the weekend. front 9 i shot 59, which is my worst score tied over 9 holes.

back 9 was much better, and i shot 50. still not good enough, but at least i managed to hit some good shots. also sank some crucial putts.

was down by 5 strokes with 8 holes left, and managed to pull them all back with 3 holes remaining. i was helped by a ridiculous hole location on a par. my putt was straight up hill to a cup on a severe slope, whereas my opponent had to putt across the slope. he eventually gave up trying to get the ball in the hole. with myself getting a par, i got back 3 strokes.

i was really struggling with my tee shots, and that was the biggest culprit on the day. only hit driver twice (knew i should left it at home), and had two penalties.

rest of the holes i couldn't really get either my 3H or 4H going. having to play the 2nd shot from neighbouring fairways, or less than 100yds from the tee box, really hurt me.

irons were pretty good from 165yds and in.

i did duff a few chips though. still want to make some time practising my chipping with a hybrid. reckon this could be a life saver for me.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

• 3 weeks later...

Last year my goal was to work on my putting, and I think it helped a lot... I shaved about 3-4 strokes off my scores, but I also realized that I was leaving myself WAY to far from the hole. So my goals for this year:

1. Work on my chipping so I don't have to make as many long putts.

2. Work on my alignment with my irons (keep the ball in the fairway)

Working on your putting is the key. When I was playing good and competitive I did not hit a lot of greens or fairways but I had a great short game and could get out of trouble Seve was my hero My dad who was a pro could not absolutely stand my game he was all about fairways and GIR but I learned to adapt to my weaknesses by being creative and getting out of trouble and putting and chipping well Back in the day when I was at my best I missed a crapload of fairways but could get out of trouble and score I play what is called ugly golf but there are not any pictures on a scorecard Work on your weaknesses certainly but dont dwell on them and play to your strengths

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I played a round yesterday, and shot 111 over 18. It was frustrating.

It felt like i played some really good shots.

My 3H wasn't working off the tee, I have now developed a hook with it, that I just couldn't control. Previously I was slicing the hybrid quite badly, so I suppose the hook is better. it means my over the top move isn't as bad anymore, right?

My tee shots again cost me, as I only found the short grass a couple of times. Had to punch out a couple of times, and also took some penalties. I must add that the course I played, has some tight tee shots, and has quite a few lateral hazards.

I had a tee shot with the 3H, that was a really bad pull which struck a tree, and then deflected all the way over the fairway to the right, bounced once on a cart path, just to end up in the water. that kind of summed up my day.

Had some nice shots from the fairway, and managed to stick most of my 60m t0 80m pitches on the green. Had one or two on the fringe, but I'll count those as greens hit.

It felt like I was playing some really good 2nd and 3rd shots, but was making some silly mental errors. Over clubbed once, to hit into a hazard behind the green, for another penalty.

Another time, when punching out from the rough, I ended up in a bunker because of poor alignment, and not fully committing to the shot.

Had a short PW out of the rough, playing a lay up, and managed to hit it about the right distance, but still in the rough.

Little things like that cost me. At least I had a few one putts, as I had a few good chip shots with the PW and the hybrid.

But it was a frustrating day.

I really need to sort out my play from the tee box. If I can keep it in the short stuff, even if it is only 200yds out, it'll really help my scores. I feel like my 6i-PW game is very good for my handicap level, just need to make better decisions, and fully commit to them.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

You'll have those days. Just take a 7-8I & work on the "L" & "Y" drills till ya groove a nice , smooth move then work through your bag. If ya have to dtay with the 7-8I for a coupla of buckets or even a couple of sessions, so be it, cuz if you can't put 7-8/10 on target downrange, you're not going to have a consistent swing on the course.

Just a thought.

The Best.

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Thanks, Richard. I'll give it a shot.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

So golf may be stupid. Tweaked a bit on the range and scored low round for the summer (40) on the quick after work nine. I even added a new item to my golf resume, the three putt par. 487 par 5-Driver, 5i, putt-putt-putt. Totally bricked the "ohmyitsaneagleputt" from 30 feet. ended up 12' short :( followed in Rory's footsteps and balanced the next putt on the edge of the cup. Putt 3 was 1/8th of an inch in length. Made that one B)

It could be worse, I drove a par 4 once and had a four putt bogey.:angry:

I was only 12 feet from the hole for eagle. I missed the 3 foot birdie so badly I thought I had Tourette Syndrome, and when the par putt failed to even touch the hole I thought I was going to explode. My playing partner ran over and picked up my ball and told me to go sit down before I hurt myself.

It was the 10th hole and this was the day I shot 35-54. From 1 under to 17 over in 9 holes and that includes a birdie on 18 to break 90.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

• 1 month later...

Hacker's Hideout?? I have most certainly found a place I belong!!

As of late I seem to be playing awful on the front 9 and then coming back with a little better back 9. This past weekend I shot a 55 on the front 9 (If that ain't hacking I don't know what is!) but then I came back and shot 47 on the back. Why can I not seem to put a good 18 hole round in??? Anyway I see that no one has posted here since October, hope there are still some fellow hackers out there!

Today, I will do what others will not so that...

Tomorrow, I will do what others can not

• SPY VIP

Hacker's Hideout?? I have most certainly found a place I belong!!

As of late I seem to be playing awful on the front 9 and then coming back with a little better back 9. This past weekend I shot a 55 on the front 9 (If that ain't hacking I don't know what is!) but then I came back and shot 47 on the back. Why can I not seem to put a good 18 hole round in??? Anyway I see that no one has posted here since October, hope there are still some fellow hackers out there!

I'm still here :)

Shot two separate nines of 39 and 37 last week and today I feel like I have never played this game before. I am sure that I have just tweaked something simple on accident, but for the life of me I don't know what changed.

Back to the impact bag...

Volvo Intorqueo

If it makes you feel any better, I'm also a golfer of two halves. Terrible on the front 9 and generally rather good on the back 9. Most of the time, it's because I haven't had enough time to stretch/warm up. The more I set in a office chair during the week, the longer it takes for me to get going out of it. That and most of the guys I go out with are the type that just want to walk from the car to the 1st tee and go.

Thus some of the things I do that smooth things out a bit

1: Go through whatever warmup you need. If that's none, great. If it's 10 iron shots, or a 45 minute routine of putting/chipping/range shots, then do that. Until that's consistent, you won't be ready for the 1st tee

2: Bring and drink lots of water and/or Gatorade type sustance. I see lots of players out there who are just zonked from the exercise, mental attention or sun and they wonder why they are playing poorly. Beer is ok to an extent, but it dehydrates you. It can't be the only thing you drink if you want to play well.

For the record, I go through at least 3-4 litres on a standard day walking and in the summer, probably double.

3: While we're on the subject of drinking, lets talk eating. Going through a round without fueling up on high energy food stuffs isn't going to help. Nor will skipping your lunch if it's an afternoon round. Whatever you choose, remember to have it. I favor Cliff bars and trail mix myself.

4: Shot routine. Get a routine for each type of shot you're going to take and stick to it. The more rthymic you get about it, the more likely results will be consistent.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Archived