Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Hacker's Hideout

GolfSpy Dave

I'm still here :)

Shot two separate nines of 39 and 37 last week and today I feel like I have never played this game before. I am sure that I have just tweaked something simple on accident, but for the life of me I don't know what changed.

Back to the impact bag...

Dave, if I shot 37 on 9 holes everyone would have thought I won the lottery from the celebrating I would do!! Anyway, I certainly have those days where I wonder if people around me wonder if I have ever picked up a golf club before so I can sympathize!

Today, I will do what others will not so that...

Tomorrow, I will do what others can not

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it makes you feel any better, I'm also a golfer of two halves. Terrible on the front 9 and generally rather good on the back 9. Most of the time, it's because I haven't had enough time to stretch/warm up. The more I set in a office chair during the week, the longer it takes for me to get going out of it. That and most of the guys I go out with are the type that just want to walk from the car to the 1st tee and go.

Thus some of the things I do that smooth things out a bit

1: Go through whatever warmup you need. If that's none, great. If it's 10 iron shots, or a 45 minute routine of putting/chipping/range shots, then do that. Until that's consistent, you won't be ready for the 1st tee

2: Bring and drink lots of water and/or Gatorade type sustance. I see lots of players out there who are just zonked from the exercise, mental attention or sun and they wonder why they are playing poorly. Beer is ok to an extent, but it dehydrates you. It can't be the only thing you drink if you want to play well.

For the record, I go through at least 3-4 litres on a standard day walking and in the summer, probably double.

3: While we're on the subject of drinking, lets talk eating. Going through a round without fueling up on high energy food stuffs isn't going to help. Nor will skipping your lunch if it's an afternoon round. Whatever you choose, remember to have it. I favor Cliff bars and trail mix myself.

4: Shot routine. Get a routine for each type of shot you're going to take and stick to it. The more rthymic you get about it, the more likely results will be consistent.

ST, I do think a lot of my problem has to do with lack of a proper warm up. Like most everyone else my time is limited so I want to spend as much of it as possible on the course playing but I can finally see that it is effecting my game.

I also have been wondering about eating during a round, that is something I don't typically do.

I ususally do pretty well staying hydrated with water, gatorade etc. but I think I certainly do need to pay more attention to keeping some cliff bars or fruit or something handy to keep me fueled up.

Thanks for your input!

Man, I probably had the worst day golfing I've had in at least two years. It was truly a perfect s*** storm:

1) Woke up this morning, turned slightly and heard a lot pop, followed by a lot of back pain

2) The ground at the course was soggy = fat shots are infinitely worse

3) I actually ran out of balls.

With my back, my swing was totally shot. It doesn't help I already screwed up my swing when I went to the LM the other day too, but I was hitting every possible bad shot you can, fat, thin, shank, heel, toe. Occasionally I actually got it in the middle of the face. I opened up with a 45 and had to stop counting score on the back 9 when I lost three in a row. I lost my last two balls (only brought 6 for some reason) the following hole and went to the pond to fish a few more up. At that point I treated the day like practice because of the horribly slow twosome in front of me, but even then I could not hit anything because of my back. I probably lost 15-20 yards on all my shots.

I did manage a birdie after dropping my 8i 15ft from the hole. My putting at least has been good even if my driving has gone very far south :)

I really do think the LM was the root cause though and it made my swing much worse, I need to go back to the range and figure out where I went wrong...

Well, I played a couple of rounds over the Thanksgiving Holiday. The 1st round was not at my home course but still fairly local. I hit the driver sweet all day, nothing fantastically long but stayed in the middle. The problem I had during this round is that I could not get the feel for the speed of the greens and was either blowing by the hole or babying my stroke and coming up short. I shot a 107 on the day and think it could have easily been in the 90s if not for my putting. Highlight of the day is that I only missed driving the green on a short par 4 (300 yards) by about 5 yards!!

2nd round was at my home course, again hit the driver pretty well and putting improved enough that I shot a 96 which by my standards is a pretty decent round, not my best but not bad.

Good point on the beer Tuna. I don't drink on the course any more ( mostly because I play at 6am Sat) but a few month ago I went on a golf trip with my buddy's and had a few(or more)and shot 40 front and 74 back. I'm just not used to it any more so the rest of the trip I saved the beer until after the round and was mid 80s for the rest of the trip.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

I've been playing incredibly inconsistently - partly because I've been playing a bunch of different/new-to-me tracks, but that shouldn't be having as bad of an effect on me as it has been.

I'm mostly having a hard time focusing on EVERY shot, today, a bunch of pars, but then a bunch of double+ bogies... blah.

Oh, and my three putts are TERRIBLE right now - it's like I've given up on even trying with putting (I kinda have)

I sympathize with your struggles, Tim. I shaved 3+ strokes off of my hcp during the first 8 months of the year, but since have been very inconsistent. Putting has been OK, but nothing else has. Some days the clubs feel very foreign in my hands. Ugh.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

• 2 weeks later...

I already posted this on one of the other threads but decided to include it here also, Shot a round of 96 this past weekend but I was really encouraged with my game because through 18 holes I had no triple bogies or penalty strokes!! This is big deal for me and makes me feel like I am making some progress, just like Golfspy Tim mentioned about his game I also had several 3-putts, if not for that I think I may have had my best score to date. Hoping the lack of triples and penalty strokes is the beginning of a trend and not an isolated incident, now if I can eliminate those 3-putts maybe I can start having some lower scores!!

Archived