Hacker's Hideout

GolfSpy Dave

Okay, so it's still really wet over here in New Zealand (6th day of spring and all) but honestly, short par-3 GW 10-feet right of the green MAX in the rough. I was pretty pissed anyway, but could it be found... no! I positive it must've plugged 3-ft deep and the hole closed up around it, because all four of us spent an age trying to find it... really didn't need that. Topped off the round with a 'Schwartzel-esque' four-putt from five feet.

The silver lining ... my next round is bound to get better...

Losing my ball this way is probably my biggest pet peeve about golf. You know where it went, you know where it should be and yet no one can find it.

Losing my ball this way is probably my biggest pet peeve about golf. You know where it went, you know where it should be and yet no one can find it.

...especially when where it landed was the closest any of our foursome got to the green... not ideal, but I guess that the challenge of this game is a big part of why we love it. If everything was consistent and predictable then there'd be a whole lot fewer stories to tell on the 19th... and to be fair, that's why a lot of people I know play the first 18 holes...

• 2 weeks later...

so i played (or should i say hacked...) my way to a score of 109 over the weekend. front 9 i shot 59, which is my worst score tied over 9 holes.

back 9 was much better, and i shot 50. still not good enough, but at least i managed to hit some good shots. also sank some crucial putts.

was down by 5 strokes with 8 holes left, and managed to pull them all back with 3 holes remaining. i was helped by a ridiculous hole location on a par. my putt was straight up hill to a cup on a severe slope, whereas my opponent had to putt across the slope. he eventually gave up trying to get the ball in the hole. with myself getting a par, i got back 3 strokes.

i was really struggling with my tee shots, and that was the biggest culprit on the day. only hit driver twice (knew i should left it at home), and had two penalties.

rest of the holes i couldn't really get either my 3H or 4H going. having to play the 2nd shot from neighbouring fairways, or less than 100yds from the tee box, really hurt me.

irons were pretty good from 165yds and in.

i did duff a few chips though. still want to make some time practising my chipping with a hybrid. reckon this could be a life saver for me.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

• 3 weeks later...

Last year my goal was to work on my putting, and I think it helped a lot... I shaved about 3-4 strokes off my scores, but I also realized that I was leaving myself WAY to far from the hole. So my goals for this year:

1. Work on my chipping so I don't have to make as many long putts.

2. Work on my alignment with my irons (keep the ball in the fairway)

Working on your putting is the key. When I was playing good and competitive I did not hit a lot of greens or fairways but I had a great short game and could get out of trouble Seve was my hero My dad who was a pro could not absolutely stand my game he was all about fairways and GIR but I learned to adapt to my weaknesses by being creative and getting out of trouble and putting and chipping well Back in the day when I was at my best I missed a crapload of fairways but could get out of trouble and score I play what is called ugly golf but there are not any pictures on a scorecard Work on your weaknesses certainly but dont dwell on them and play to your strengths

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

I played a round yesterday, and shot 111 over 18. It was frustrating.

It felt like i played some really good shots.

My 3H wasn't working off the tee, I have now developed a hook with it, that I just couldn't control. Previously I was slicing the hybrid quite badly, so I suppose the hook is better. it means my over the top move isn't as bad anymore, right?

My tee shots again cost me, as I only found the short grass a couple of times. Had to punch out a couple of times, and also took some penalties. I must add that the course I played, has some tight tee shots, and has quite a few lateral hazards.

I had a tee shot with the 3H, that was a really bad pull which struck a tree, and then deflected all the way over the fairway to the right, bounced once on a cart path, just to end up in the water. that kind of summed up my day.

Had some nice shots from the fairway, and managed to stick most of my 60m t0 80m pitches on the green. Had one or two on the fringe, but I'll count those as greens hit.

It felt like I was playing some really good 2nd and 3rd shots, but was making some silly mental errors. Over clubbed once, to hit into a hazard behind the green, for another penalty.

Another time, when punching out from the rough, I ended up in a bunker because of poor alignment, and not fully committing to the shot.

Had a short PW out of the rough, playing a lay up, and managed to hit it about the right distance, but still in the rough.

Little things like that cost me. At least I had a few one putts, as I had a few good chip shots with the PW and the hybrid.

But it was a frustrating day.

I really need to sort out my play from the tee box. If I can keep it in the short stuff, even if it is only 200yds out, it'll really help my scores. I feel like my 6i-PW game is very good for my handicap level, just need to make better decisions, and fully commit to them.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

You'll have those days. Just take a 7-8I & work on the "L" & "Y" drills till ya groove a nice , smooth move then work through your bag. If ya have to dtay with the 7-8I for a coupla of buckets or even a couple of sessions, so be it, cuz if you can't put 7-8/10 on target downrange, you're not going to have a consistent swing on the course.

Just a thought.

The Best.

Fairways & Greens 4ever

Thanks, Richard. I'll give it a shot.

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Bridgestone E6

Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones

So golf may be stupid. Tweaked a bit on the range and scored low round for the summer (40) on the quick after work nine. I even added a new item to my golf resume, the three putt par. 487 par 5-Driver, 5i, putt-putt-putt. Totally bricked the "ohmyitsaneagleputt" from 30 feet. ended up 12' short :( followed in Rory's footsteps and balanced the next putt on the edge of the cup. Putt 3 was 1/8th of an inch in length. Made that one B)

It could be worse, I drove a par 4 once and had a four putt bogey.:angry:

I was only 12 feet from the hole for eagle. I missed the 3 foot birdie so badly I thought I had Tourette Syndrome, and when the par putt failed to even touch the hole I thought I was going to explode. My playing partner ran over and picked up my ball and told me to go sit down before I hurt myself.

It was the 10th hole and this was the day I shot 35-54. From 1 under to 17 over in 9 holes and that includes a birdie on 18 to break 90.

Driver:      :taylormade-small:   Stealth Plus 10.5° on Project X Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.0

Fairway:   :ping-small:  G425LST 3w on Adilia Rogue 80S

Hybrid:       :ping-small:  G425MAX 3H  on KBS Graphite

Utility:    :cobra-small:  KING Forged Utility Black  4    on   UST RECOIL SMACWRAP

Irons:     :cobra-small: KING Forged TEC Black 5-9 on KBS Tour Black Smoke 

Wedges: :cobra-small: KING MB Black P on KBS Tour Black Smoke

:mizuno-small: MP T5 Black 5 ES21 54° & 60° on KBS Hi Rev 2.0 

Putter:    :EVNROLL: ER5B

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1 :taylormade-small: TP5x 

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  

Range Finder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

• 1 month later...

Hacker's Hideout?? I have most certainly found a place I belong!!

As of late I seem to be playing awful on the front 9 and then coming back with a little better back 9. This past weekend I shot a 55 on the front 9 (If that ain't hacking I don't know what is!) but then I came back and shot 47 on the back. Why can I not seem to put a good 18 hole round in??? Anyway I see that no one has posted here since October, hope there are still some fellow hackers out there!

Today, I will do what others will not so that...

Tomorrow, I will do what others can not

• SPY VIP

Hacker's Hideout?? I have most certainly found a place I belong!!

As of late I seem to be playing awful on the front 9 and then coming back with a little better back 9. This past weekend I shot a 55 on the front 9 (If that ain't hacking I don't know what is!) but then I came back and shot 47 on the back. Why can I not seem to put a good 18 hole round in??? Anyway I see that no one has posted here since October, hope there are still some fellow hackers out there!

I'm still here :)

Shot two separate nines of 39 and 37 last week and today I feel like I have never played this game before. I am sure that I have just tweaked something simple on accident, but for the life of me I don't know what changed.

Back to the impact bag...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

If it makes you feel any better, I'm also a golfer of two halves. Terrible on the front 9 and generally rather good on the back 9. Most of the time, it's because I haven't had enough time to stretch/warm up. The more I set in a office chair during the week, the longer it takes for me to get going out of it. That and most of the guys I go out with are the type that just want to walk from the car to the 1st tee and go.

Thus some of the things I do that smooth things out a bit

1: Go through whatever warmup you need. If that's none, great. If it's 10 iron shots, or a 45 minute routine of putting/chipping/range shots, then do that. Until that's consistent, you won't be ready for the 1st tee

2: Bring and drink lots of water and/or Gatorade type sustance. I see lots of players out there who are just zonked from the exercise, mental attention or sun and they wonder why they are playing poorly. Beer is ok to an extent, but it dehydrates you. It can't be the only thing you drink if you want to play well.

For the record, I go through at least 3-4 litres on a standard day walking and in the summer, probably double.

3: While we're on the subject of drinking, lets talk eating. Going through a round without fueling up on high energy food stuffs isn't going to help. Nor will skipping your lunch if it's an afternoon round. Whatever you choose, remember to have it. I favor Cliff bars and trail mix myself.

4: Shot routine. Get a routine for each type of shot you're going to take and stick to it. The more rthymic you get about it, the more likely results will be consistent.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I'm still here :)

Shot two separate nines of 39 and 37 last week and today I feel like I have never played this game before. I am sure that I have just tweaked something simple on accident, but for the life of me I don't know what changed.

Back to the impact bag...

Dave, if I shot 37 on 9 holes everyone would have thought I won the lottery from the celebrating I would do!! Anyway, I certainly have those days where I wonder if people around me wonder if I have ever picked up a golf club before so I can sympathize!

If it makes you feel any better, I'm also a golfer of two halves. Terrible on the front 9 and generally rather good on the back 9. Most of the time, it's because I haven't had enough time to stretch/warm up. The more I set in a office chair during the week, the longer it takes for me to get going out of it. That and most of the guys I go out with are the type that just want to walk from the car to the 1st tee and go.

Thus some of the things I do that smooth things out a bit

1: Go through whatever warmup you need. If that's none, great. If it's 10 iron shots, or a 45 minute routine of putting/chipping/range shots, then do that. Until that's consistent, you won't be ready for the 1st tee

2: Bring and drink lots of water and/or Gatorade type sustance. I see lots of players out there who are just zonked from the exercise, mental attention or sun and they wonder why they are playing poorly. Beer is ok to an extent, but it dehydrates you. It can't be the only thing you drink if you want to play well.

For the record, I go through at least 3-4 litres on a standard day walking and in the summer, probably double.

3: While we're on the subject of drinking, lets talk eating. Going through a round without fueling up on high energy food stuffs isn't going to help. Nor will skipping your lunch if it's an afternoon round. Whatever you choose, remember to have it. I favor Cliff bars and trail mix myself.

4: Shot routine. Get a routine for each type of shot you're going to take and stick to it. The more rthymic you get about it, the more likely results will be consistent.

ST, I do think a lot of my problem has to do with lack of a proper warm up. Like most everyone else my time is limited so I want to spend as much of it as possible on the course playing but I can finally see that it is effecting my game.

I also have been wondering about eating during a round, that is something I don't typically do.

I ususally do pretty well staying hydrated with water, gatorade etc. but I think I certainly do need to pay more attention to keeping some cliff bars or fruit or something handy to keep me fueled up.

Thanks for your input!

Man, I probably had the worst day golfing I've had in at least two years. It was truly a perfect s*** storm:

1) Woke up this morning, turned slightly and heard a lot pop, followed by a lot of back pain

2) The ground at the course was soggy = fat shots are infinitely worse

3) I actually ran out of balls.

With my back, my swing was totally shot. It doesn't help I already screwed up my swing when I went to the LM the other day too, but I was hitting every possible bad shot you can, fat, thin, shank, heel, toe. Occasionally I actually got it in the middle of the face. I opened up with a 45 and had to stop counting score on the back 9 when I lost three in a row. I lost my last two balls (only brought 6 for some reason) the following hole and went to the pond to fish a few more up. At that point I treated the day like practice because of the horribly slow twosome in front of me, but even then I could not hit anything because of my back. I probably lost 15-20 yards on all my shots.

I did manage a birdie after dropping my 8i 15ft from the hole. My putting at least has been good even if my driving has gone very far south :)

I really do think the LM was the root cause though and it made my swing much worse, I need to go back to the range and figure out where I went wrong...

Well, I played a couple of rounds over the Thanksgiving Holiday. The 1st round was not at my home course but still fairly local. I hit the driver sweet all day, nothing fantastically long but stayed in the middle. The problem I had during this round is that I could not get the feel for the speed of the greens and was either blowing by the hole or babying my stroke and coming up short. I shot a 107 on the day and think it could have easily been in the 90s if not for my putting. Highlight of the day is that I only missed driving the green on a short par 4 (300 yards) by about 5 yards!!

2nd round was at my home course, again hit the driver pretty well and putting improved enough that I shot a 96 which by my standards is a pretty decent round, not my best but not bad.

Good point on the beer Tuna. I don't drink on the course any more ( mostly because I play at 6am Sat) but a few month ago I went on a golf trip with my buddy's and had a few(or more)and shot 40 front and 74 back. I'm just not used to it any more so the rest of the trip I saved the beer until after the round and was mid 80s for the rest of the trip.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

I've been playing incredibly inconsistently - partly because I've been playing a bunch of different/new-to-me tracks, but that shouldn't be having as bad of an effect on me as it has been.

I'm mostly having a hard time focusing on EVERY shot, today, a bunch of pars, but then a bunch of double+ bogies... blah.

Oh, and my three putts are TERRIBLE right now - it's like I've given up on even trying with putting (I kinda have)

I sympathize with your struggles, Tim. I shaved 3+ strokes off of my hcp during the first 8 months of the year, but since have been very inconsistent. Putting has been OK, but nothing else has. Some days the clubs feel very foreign in my hands. Ugh.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

• 2 weeks later...

I already posted this on one of the other threads but decided to include it here also, Shot a round of 96 this past weekend but I was really encouraged with my game because through 18 holes I had no triple bogies or penalty strokes!! This is big deal for me and makes me feel like I am making some progress, just like Golfspy Tim mentioned about his game I also had several 3-putts, if not for that I think I may have had my best score to date. Hoping the lack of triples and penalty strokes is the beginning of a trend and not an isolated incident, now if I can eliminate those 3-putts maybe I can start having some lower scores!!