Hacker's Hideout

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

Sactown, this is a great thread, and I think it will be helpful to lots of people. I think a lot of people are "afraid" to talk about their game on a forum when there's so much boasting/bs-ing about 300+ yard drives and breaking 70, and hopefully this thread will be a good place for people to talk about the game they actually play. I started playing seriously about 6 years ago and have gone from shooting 120's to being consistently in the mid to low 80's, with a couple of heartbreaking 80's last summer. I know I still have a lot to learn and there's a lot of room to improve, so I'm definitely eager to get any tips that I can. What I'm most eager for is to play golf, enough snow!

Thanks for the +1. I have posted and lurked a other boards (starts with a G ends with an X) and it always seemed like when someone asks an honest question about getting better, or looked for others who shared the struggle, the replies were quick and quite acidic. Having someone say "go get al lesson noob" is surprisingly not all that helpful. I don't think that we need to form a circle and hold hands, but knowing that someone else also snatched defeat from the jaws of victory is helpful.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

Just got home, today was a beating. Driver, putter and I are still buddies, but my GD irons will be the death of me. Hole 1 driver OK. 6i 45* rt. Looked like a ride at the fair. Walk over calmly address with 8i. Same ball flight and miss. Walked over with 50*, same thing. finally chip on, 2 putt and sulk to the next hole. Hit 2H into 220. Miss tiny bit left. Ball below feet. 45* chip miss. Chip on, 1 putt. bogey. Got better later, probably as the old muscles warmed up, but what a let down.

Friday at the range, my iron swing felt so good. It felt like I turned a corner. Then to triple the first par 4. Frustrating.

Driver was big and straight though. Putter was money. Irons are killing me!

Volvo Intorqueo

Sactown, this is a great thread, and I think it will be helpful to lots of people. I think a lot of people are "afraid" to talk about their game on a forum when there's so much boasting/bs-ing about 300+ yard drives and breaking 70, and hopefully this thread will be a good place for people to talk about the game they actually play. I started playing seriously about 6 years ago and have gone from shooting 120's to being consistently in the mid to low 80's, with a couple of heartbreaking 80's last summer. I know I still have a lot to learn and there's a lot of room to improve, so I'm definitely eager to get any tips that I can. What I'm most eager for is to play golf, enough snow!

Well said sir.

All I can say is you guys need to drink more beer! My pants target would be 74 (40 X 34). Hell, I'd have to go full mid-life crisis like Kevin Spacey in American Beauty - divorce my wife, give her full custody of the kids, and quit my job and play golf 7 days a week to get down to a 2.

I'm better off just hanging out here with you guys. :blink:

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Thanks for the +1. I have posted and lurked a other boards (starts with a G ends with an X) and it always seemed like when someone asks an honest question about getting better, or looked for others who shared the struggle, the replies were quick and quite acidic. Having someone say "go get al lesson noob" is surprisingly not all that helpful. I don't think that we need to form a circle and hold hands, but knowing that someone else also snatched defeat from the jaws of victory is helpful.

I've had identical experiences on that same board and I've been a member over there since 06'.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

I've had identical experiences on that same board and I've been a member over there since 06'.

Let's just say that I would not post about today's mess over there.

Volvo Intorqueo

Let's just say that I would not post about today's mess over there.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. That would be U-G-L-Y.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

It sure seems like everyone on the other board hit driver like 320, and wedge from 150, and carries a + index. I wonder why I never EVER see those guys on the course?? Sorry about the tough round today Sactown. It will return. I promise.

Driver - :taylormade-small:   Stealth 9° Graphite Design Tour AD XC Stiff
Fairway - Cannot find one worth a dang

Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7  Aerotech SteelFiber 110icw  4-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -  Ping PLD Anser (inbound)  Evnroll ER1V/Cameron Phantom 5x/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

It sure seems like everyone on the other board hit driver like 320, and wedge from 150, and carries a + index. I wonder why I never EVER see those guys on the course?? Sorry about the tough round today Sactown. It will return. I promise.

Driver - :taylormade-small:   Stealth 9° Graphite Design Tour AD XC Stiff
Fairway - Cannot find one worth a dang

Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7  Aerotech SteelFiber 110icw  4-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -  Ping PLD Anser (inbound)  Evnroll ER1V/Cameron Phantom 5x/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

Good Gosh, 36x30, I am done for also! I would never break 100, for the past 10 years, every now and then, close. Then, took four lessons 3 years ago, then 3 more last Spring, and I am going to do 3 more this Spring. Last year I broke into the 80s 3 times, first times ever. My point being, even a super casual golfer, a lesson or two will work wonders, especially seeing your swing on video!!!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

chevy_chase22.jpg

Good Gosh, 36x30, I am done for also! I would never break 100, for the past 10 years, every now and then, close. Then, took four lessons 3 years ago, then 3 more last Spring, and I am going to do 3 more this Spring. Last year I broke into the 80s 3 times, first times ever. My point being, even a super casual golfer, a lesson or two will work wonders, especially seeing your swing on video!!!

Wow, that's great progress. Congrats!

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

So we wear the same size pants...

If you need a model for the retro golf wear, let me know... :)

Volvo Intorqueo

I would need to suddenly get a whole lot taller, wider is not a problem!!

I just want to strike the ball well, and be consistant. those are my goals, not scores.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

chevy_chase22.jpg

• SPY VIP

I would need to suddenly get a whole lot taller, wider is not a problem!!

I just want to strike the ball well, and be consistant. those are my goals, not scores.

Good goals. I would like to hit the second good shot in a hole. Great drive and then make the approach. Too many good drives and topped second for 15 yards. Overall score would follow, I am sure.

Volvo Intorqueo

I sometimes have the "hit it and go find it, then repeat" mentality haha

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

• SPY VIP

Agreed. Small goals are good. All you can do is hit one shot at a time, so if you want to be all zen about it, that's really the only goal - one good shot.

I like that. Only the current shot matters. Except when you are trying to set up for an easier approach next, but you have to hit this shot first, then the next shot will be better, so hit this one well...

I sometimes have the "hit it and go find it, then repeat" mentality haha

My ball often gets very upset if we only explore the rough on one side of the fairway..

Volvo Intorqueo

I like that. Only the current shot matters. Except when you are trying to set up for an easier approach next, but you have to hit this shot first, then the next shot will be better, so hit this one well...

My ball often gets very upset if we only explore the rough on one side of the fairway..

AH... Army golf... Off topic, but do you guys talk to your balls right out of the sleeve? I do. I can't let the other balls tell them stories first...

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan