TESTERS WANTED! ×

Twilight vs Morning Golf

I'm curious, how many of you enjoy playing in the morning vs at twilight? And Why do you like playing at either of those times?

I love playing in the morning, but don't get me wrong something about twilight as the sun is setting is just so peaceful. I just played twilight last night with my fiance and it was windless and was able to capture some cool photos. It's just so cool as we chase around this little white ball to take it all in now and again.... especially during these tough times.

IMG_3096.jpg.846bc773df79b2fff1337b06c8cf7b68.jpg IMG_3092.jpg.c2084c01d47f99ca350f69282ceb46d8.jpgIMG_3097.jpg.6fb9f27bb593398386742228710b73ef.jpg

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

I’d rather twilight. I’m usually able to be more “loose” at the end of the day, and courses are less crowded. I LOVE a good twilight rate, and when I’m on the road, I get to play after the work day, and I really enjoy playing until the sun goes down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I'm a morning golfer. The course has just been conditioned , sand traps have been groomed, no ball marks on the green. If there is still some dew left on the greens you can see your ball trace track left from putting. This helps your green reading for the future.

But I don't mind twilight, just prefer mornings. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I go for mid to late morning. I'm a early riser for sure but I prefer to ease into my day. And the biggest reason for morning golf is the greens. It's all about the greens to me. I do like playing twilight at times but usually the greens are pretty stomped with divots galore. In the summer late; they're also baked.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I am usually dawn patrol, but those twilight nights are fun.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I prefer late afternoons. The typical round for me is 9 holes after work/school with my son. I prefer to play on week days too and save the weekends for things my wife enjoys doing as she’s not a golfer. 

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I enjoy morning rounds... the earlier, the better.  Twilight is beautiful,  but I'm invigorated by morning golf.  Early tee times afford me the luxury of playing an additional 9-18.  After having lunch on the porch and watching the approach shots at the turn,  we are usually motivated to go back out.  

Love twilight golf in the summer as the temps cool and a small breeze picks up. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

I prefer mornings but I wouldn’t turn down a twilight round either. I’m usually one of the first ones on the course between 6-7 am. It’s better than a cup of coffee and the grounds crew get to laugh at me when I put a ball in the deep rough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° SW & 58° LW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

I love twilight rounds after work. You have to get the timing right so the setting sun isn't an issue tracking the ball, but that's only an issue later in the summer/early fall. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I love morning golf. As in first tracks in the dew and seeing the sun rise and the day come alive. 

My schedule has me up at 430am for work so that makes me a twilight golfer. I love having the course mostly to myself and finishing io on 18 almost in the dark. Itdoes get windy and the greens get bumpy, but I can live with that. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Morning for me.  I like getting out before the courses get crowded and then getting done with my round before noon and having the whole rest of the day to get done whatever else I need to get done.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I’ve always been a morning guy. It’s nice to still have the entire day ahead of you. BUT, if SWMBO wants to do an evening 9 or do a couples thing that cool also.
Before I retired I did very early tee time on weekends. Played almost every Thursday afternoon.
I had a yearly pass at local golf course and if no one was around just did what I wanted to. Played one hole or as many as I could get in. I was able to walk and carry bag then and was a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I prefer playing in the mornings before the courses fill up with players there for a “drunken good time”. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I have always enjoyed morning rounds more than twilight rounds. I think the thing about it for me is I really enjoy being able to get up in the morning early when there's dew on the ground and just breathe in the fresh morning air. And then you can watch the sun comes up warming the day as I warm up in my golf game.

I like to play at a decent pace, so depends a lot on public or private.

when public I love to be early in the morning because of avoiding crazy 6 hrs round (yes in NY we got that)

when I was member of a private course, I loved twilight because I was able to have quick rounds.

aside of this pace related issues, both are fascinating..

the morning mist is incredible and the sunset (maybe on a links course near the ocean) mind blowing

:ping-small: G400 9.0 Alta CB 55g stiff

:ping-small: G400 3W Alta CB 65g stiff

:Sub70: Fairway Pro 5W Ust Mamiya V2 black stiff

:Sub70: 839X 4h Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: 639cb 5-PW Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: Forged Wedge  50.7 Kbs TGI80

:callaway-small: MD4 56.8, 60.12

PXG Bat Attack

:Snell: MTB-X

I play more in the evening.  My course is very busy in the early mornings but then dies down from noon on. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

... If I had to play morning golf I would probably just give up the game. I really HATE playing early. My back is stiff, it is cold and wet and I am a night person so my brain just doesn't function well in the morning. My last big outing was a Myrtle Beach trip with 8 rounds Thursday thru Sunday. By Saturday my pards were complaining about being paired up with me because I averaged 86 in the morning rounds and 73 in the afternoon rounds and my 1 index at the time was killing the morning teams. That was my last outing trip. 

... I LOVE twilite golf and it is pretty much all I play. Sometimes I get out a little earlier, especially on vacation or wintering in Phoenix, but never before noon.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

... If I had to play m morning golf I m ay just give up the game. I really HATE playing early. My back is stiff, it is cold and wet and I am a night person so my brain just doesn't function well in the morning. My last big outing was a Myrtle Beach trip with 8 rounds Thursday thru Sunday. By Saturday my pards were complaining about being paired up with me because I averaged 86 in the morning rounds and 73 in the afternoon rounds and my 1 index at the time was killing the morning teams. That was my last outing trip. 

... I LOVE twilite golf and it is pretty much all I play. I get out earlier, especially on vacation or wintering in Phoenix, but never before noon.  

I know a couple guys just like you, can’t play mornings and that’s OK. A 13 shot difference (86-73) is a huge difference

Rick

Left Hand, 

It's wierd, I enjoy twlight more, but I generally  have better scores in the mroning rounds.  I play in a afternoon league on Wed night and a mroning league on Thursday AM.  it's crazy I can leave on some Wednesday nights after the round, looking like I'm a rank beginner, then on Thursday AM I'll put a round up better than anything I have in a whille  And it's not just the scores, its the way I feel and even my swing.    Wierd stuff!   

I guess some of it is on the Wed night league,  I go litteraly from sitting in my office to the first tee in less than 20 minutes some times. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

1 minute ago, Rickp said:

I know a couple guys just like you, can’t play mornings and that’s OK. A 13 shot difference (86-73) is a huge difference emoji33.png

... Friday morning at Myrtle we were the first group off at 6am. I usually wake up around 8:30 - 9am LOL. It was so cold and wet and I was insanely stiff. I took an 11 on the opening par 5 without a penalty. Played better by the back 9 when the sun came out and I loosened up and it got warmer but those front 9's were just brutal. After lunch and in the afternoon I was completely ready to play but those 6 am morning tee times are no bueno for me. 🤣

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I much Rather morning. The earlier the better. Saturday’s are 2nd tee time on the course for me and I love it. I enjoy getting up early having a coffee and banana and getting to the course with the heated seat on. Rounds are fairly quick and finish up just in time for an early lunch and don’t take up the whole day. Can still get stuff done around the house. League play during th week though is obviously twilight and is great also but prefer the early morning dew! 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

On 5/2/2020 at 8:55 AM, cciciora13 said:

I'm curious, how many of you enjoy playing in the morning vs at twilight? And Why do you like playing at either of those times?

I love playing in the morning, but don't get me wrong something about twilight as the sun is setting is just so peaceful. I just played twilight last night with my fiance and it was windless and was able to capture some cool photos. It's just so cool as we chase around this little white ball to take it all in now and again.... especially during these tough times.

I prefer morning over any other time of day. If I can get the first tee time of the day, I'm pretty happy. Unfortunately, I've yet to acquire any playing partners that are willing to get up so early on the weekends. It's nice to be able to get out and enjoy a round without having the pace of play issues that often plague other times of the day. I also like that you can slow it down if desired because you aren't trying to race against time. That said, I have played and enjoyed many twilight rounds. That would probably be my second favorite time of day for golf.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

First group off the tee for me. I love finishing a round before they are serving lunch! If I play later in the day all I do is think about my round and get nothing done. 

Driver-:ping-small: G400

3W, 5W-:ping-small: G400

Hybrid-:ping-small: 22 

irons- PW-5-:ping-small: G30

Wedges - :callaway-small: Mack Daddy- 52,54,60

Putter- :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro

I’ve been getting out of bed @ 5:00am for 40 years so early morning is fine w me. I sleep in until 5:30 after retiring.

Rick

Left Hand,