Twilight vs Morning Golf

... If I had to play morning golf I would probably just give up the game. I really HATE playing early. My back is stiff, it is cold and wet and I am a night person so my brain just doesn't function well in the morning. My last big outing was a Myrtle Beach trip with 8 rounds Thursday thru Sunday. By Saturday my pards were complaining about being paired up with me because I averaged 86 in the morning rounds and 73 in the afternoon rounds and my 1 index at the time was killing the morning teams. That was my last outing trip. 

... I LOVE twilite golf and it is pretty much all I play. Sometimes I get out a little earlier, especially on vacation or wintering in Phoenix, but never before noon.  

• Like 4

Driver:     :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 10.5* ... AD-IZ 6SR
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

... If I had to play m morning golf I m ay just give up the game. I really HATE playing early. My back is stiff, it is cold and wet and I am a night person so my brain just doesn't function well in the morning. My last big outing was a Myrtle Beach trip with 8 rounds Thursday thru Sunday. By Saturday my pards were complaining about being paired up with me because I averaged 86 in the morning rounds and 73 in the afternoon rounds and my 1 index at the time was killing the morning teams. That was my last outing trip. 

... I LOVE twilite golf and it is pretty much all I play. I get out earlier, especially on vacation or wintering in Phoenix, but never before noon.  

I know a couple guys just like you, can’t play mornings and that’s OK. A 13 shot difference (86-73) is a huge difference

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr   
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

It's wierd, I enjoy twlight more, but I generally  have better scores in the mroning rounds.  I play in a afternoon league on Wed night and a mroning league on Thursday AM.  it's crazy I can leave on some Wednesday nights after the round, looking like I'm a rank beginner, then on Thursday AM I'll put a round up better than anything I have in a whille  And it's not just the scores, its the way I feel and even my swing.    Wierd stuff!   

I guess some of it is on the Wed night league,  I go litteraly from sitting in my office to the first tee in less than 20 minutes some times. 

• Like 3

:titelist-small: TSR2 10.0 HZRDUS Red CB 6.0 

:titelist-small: TSiR2 10.0  Tensei Blue X ink 55g 

:titelist-small: TSR2 16.5 PX Evenflow 5.5 60 g 

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T200 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

1 minute ago, Rickp said:

I know a couple guys just like you, can’t play mornings and that’s OK. A 13 shot difference (86-73) is a huge difference emoji33.png

... Friday morning at Myrtle we were the first group off at 6am. I usually wake up around 8:30 - 9am LOL. It was so cold and wet and I was insanely stiff. I took an 11 on the opening par 5 without a penalty. Played better by the back 9 when the sun came out and I loosened up and it got warmer but those front 9's were just brutal. After lunch and in the afternoon I was completely ready to play but those 6 am morning tee times are no bueno for me. 🤣

• Like 2

I much Rather morning. The earlier the better. Saturday’s are 2nd tee time on the course for me and I love it. I enjoy getting up early having a coffee and banana and getting to the course with the heated seat on. Rounds are fairly quick and finish up just in time for an early lunch and don’t take up the whole day. Can still get stuff done around the house. League play during th week though is obviously twilight and is great also but prefer the early morning dew! 

• Like 2

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

On 5/2/2020 at 8:55 AM, cciciora13 said:

I'm curious, how many of you enjoy playing in the morning vs at twilight? And Why do you like playing at either of those times?

I love playing in the morning, but don't get me wrong something about twilight as the sun is setting is just so peaceful. I just played twilight last night with my fiance and it was windless and was able to capture some cool photos. It's just so cool as we chase around this little white ball to take it all in now and again.... especially during these tough times.

I prefer morning over any other time of day. If I can get the first tee time of the day, I'm pretty happy. Unfortunately, I've yet to acquire any playing partners that are willing to get up so early on the weekends. It's nice to be able to get out and enjoy a round without having the pace of play issues that often plague other times of the day. I also like that you can slow it down if desired because you aren't trying to race against time. That said, I have played and enjoyed many twilight rounds. That would probably be my second favorite time of day for golf.

• Like 3

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: Mizuno CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 54* & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

First group off the tee for me. I love finishing a round before they are serving lunch! If I play later in the day all I do is think about my round and get nothing done. 

Driver-:ping-small: G400

3W, 5W-:ping-small: G400

Hybrid-:ping-small: 22 

irons- PW-5-:ping-small: G30

Wedges - :callaway-small: Mack Daddy- 52,54,60

Putter- :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro

I’ve been getting out of bed @ 5:00am for 40 years so early morning is fine w me. I sleep in until 5:30 after retiring.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr   
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I’m a morning/before lunch guy. Doesn’t take long for me to warm up the muscles. I like getting my round done before lunch/at lunch. Pace of play is big to me. Usually I get held up in twilight rounds and mess up my mindset/rhythm. 

• Like 1

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

4 minutes ago, Erik-M said:

if I play later in the day all I think about all day is golf and I'm a little aloof the whole day. 

... You just described every day of my adult life. 🤣

• Like 4

First tee time of the day. Nobody in front. Everything is waking up. Dew lines to the hole. Home before my wife wakes up. 

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410, 9°, Tensei Orange 70-S
:adams-small: Tight Lies, 16°, Bassara 55-S
:adams-small: Idea Tech Boxer a40S 4 hybrid, Tour AD 65-R
:callaway-small:  X-20 Tour 4I-PW, Project X 5.5
:mizuno-small: MP-T4 50°, True Temper
:cleveland-small: 588 56°, stock
:nike-small: SV 60°, stock
:scotty-small: Newport 2 Notchback, Flat Cat grip
vice.png.4b217c198888a58207ae8084550b589d.pngPro balls

I prefer early mornings, in my general areas a lot of the courses have twilight deals and are usually packed in the end of the day.

Not a lot people want to be out at 6 am, so I get a lot alone time.

• Like 1

My Reviews:

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60 shaft. :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, with UST  Mamiya Recoil 65 DART F3 Graphite shafts. Wedges  :vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, PutterTommy Armour 2019 Impact 3 TA 2021 Impact 2. Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.:SuperSpeed: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

Morning golf for me. Something about the day starting new, not worn out from the days activities, the sun coming up...Memorable round was at Buffalo Hill in Kalispell, MT. My dad and I were the first to play that day. Dew still on the course and we were the first to make tracks on the fairways and greens. Must have been on off day for maintenance because I don't remember seeing any mower tracks in the dew. Probably never have that experience again. 

• Like 1

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro Apex 4

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S

:bettinardi-small: Ben Hogan BHB5/:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

... What a good topic and interesting thread. When I was a DJ and did a morning show from 6am - 10am I hated waking up so early so much I gave my notice every morning and by the end of my shift my boss would always say "see you tomorrow?" and I would laugh and say yea, I'll be here. Still I only lasted 6 months before going to another station to do the afternoon drive shift and was much happier. Many acting jobs either start with a 5-6am call time to be on set for hair and make up or a late night shoot and I really hate those morning call times. So clearly I am not a morning person and that would most definitely include golf.

... To nobody's surprise, many have said they are morning people and love getting out early and my experience has always been afternoon tee times are easier to get than morning tee times. Why I didn't expect is only one responded with either and it seems everyone has a preference and often a very strong preference at that. I would have expected a few more "Doesn't matter to me, I love both". 

• Like 2

Morning golf for me right now. If I can tee off and be done by 10, I still get a day with my wife and daughter. As much as I love to play, I love spending time with my family that much more. As she enters pre-school and elementary, I’ll still choose AM rounds once she gets on the bus.

• Like 2
  • Titleist TSI3 LAGolf DJ 65 5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Mizuno Pro 223 4-P Nippon Modus 3 115X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ.1 LAGolf P135 
  • Srixon Z-Star XV Divide

Western, NY - Go Bills!

5.1 Index

11 hours ago, Eric D. said:

First tee time of the day. Nobody in front. Everything is waking up. Dew lines to the hole. Home before my wife wakes up. 

That is a big thing for me to. Nobody in front. Love to play at my own pace (usually quicker than an avg pace) and then you still have a lot of the day to finish your list your wife gave you last night. 

• Like 3

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama