Jump to content

Custom Fitting


Recommended Posts

Hi everyone I am new to the community and I am in the market for a new set of irons. I was wondering what kind of experiences people have had with custom fitting.

Where did you have it done?

Did they try to push high end clubs and parts?

Anyone go with generic iron heads?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I have done fittings at brick and mortar golf shops,  demo days, online websites, club champion, and self experimentation.   

You should have a say in cost.   If you provide no criteria, places like club champion will ignore cost in their fitting.  You may be fit into lower end or higher end.   The  driver shaft I was fit into at club champion was a $95 shaft.  Iron shafts were KBS Tours.   

What do you mean by generic iron heads?   Are you referring to clubs like Wishon, KZG, Ben Hogan, Sub 70, Next LEvel, Hireko, or Diamond Tour?  I wouldn't consider them generic,  but non mainstream OEM brands.   There are not the same as the clone clubs from years ago.

Why are you buying new clubs and what do you want to achieve?

  

 

  • Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment

 

10 hours ago, cnosil said:

I have done fittings at brick and mortar golf shops,  demo days, online websites, club champion, and self experimentation.   

You should have a say in cost.   If you provide no criteria, places like club champion will ignore cost in their fitting.  You may be fit into lower end or higher end.   The  driver shaft I was fit into at club champion was a $95 shaft.  Iron shafts were KBS Tours.   

What do you mean by generic iron heads?   Are you referring to clubs like Wishon, KZG, Ben Hogan, Sub 70, Next LEvel, Hireko, or Diamond Tour?  I wouldn't consider them generic,  but non mainstream OEM brands.   There are not the same as the clone clubs from years ago.

Why are you buying new clubs and what do you want to achieve?

  

 

Thank you for your reply! I did mean OEM I couldn't remember it earlier. I want to buy new clubs because the set that I have is about 6 years old and they are game improvement irons and I am looking at going with blades or muscle backs. Also I have never been fitted for clubs they have also been off the shelf.

Link to comment
36 minutes ago, Tykoonce said:

 

Thank you for your reply! I did mean OEM I couldn't remember it earlier. I want to buy new clubs because the set that I have is about 6 years old and they are game improvement irons and I am looking at going with blades or muscle backs. Also I have never been fitted for clubs they have also been off the shelf.

Ideally you want to get fit to find out what works best for you.   You should compare your current clubs to anything new you try on a launch monitor since not all launch monitors read the same and some places change the settings.    all of the major brands and DTC will provide you with high quality equipment.   

  • Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment

I did a fitting last year for my irons. Great experience, and love my clubs. I did take a break from them mid year to do a iron trial for MGS.

Sent from my SM-A102U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

  • Like 1

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

 :cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

                        

Link to comment
3 hours ago, kardboard.kid said:

I did a fitting last year for my irons. Great experience, and love my clubs. I did take a break from them mid year to do a iron trial for MGS.

Sent from my SM-A102U using MyGolfSpy mobile app
 

If you don't mind me asking where did you go for your fitting?

Link to comment

I did a iron fitting earlier this year at TrueSpec and found it to be a really good experience.  I'd recommend them.  I also did a putter fitting a year or so ago at Club Champion and it was great.  

 

  • Like 1

SIM2 autoflex 505

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T100S 6-gap

Vokey SM8  54

Sub70 JB low bounce 58 or SM8 58*

PXG Operator H 

Link to comment
56 minutes ago, Larryd3 said:

I did a iron fitting earlier this year at TrueSpec and found it to be a really good experience.  I'd recommend them.  I also did a putter fitting a year or so ago at Club Champion and it was great.  

 

That is good to know. I don't think that there is a TrueSpec near me. I live in Minnesota. I am leaning toward Club Champion. It seems like a lot of people really like them.

Link to comment

HI and welcome.

I was forced to go through this process a few years ago when I had to go to Graphite Shafts. I have to admit it was quite enjoyable as it was the first time I had had clubs fitted in this way.

I went to Callaway, Ping, Mizuno, and Cobra Performance Centres. These are all manufacturer run centres who then send the recommendation to your Pro shop.

They asked lots of questions, feed the answers in to a computer which then recommended a range of clubs and shafts. In my case  they had to add some important criteria - could not be forged, must have graphite shafts (due to an illness). This of course changed everything.

So in answer to your question, they were only interested in finding the best clubs that suited my needs. I was the one that asked to try for example the Epic Irons, did not like them at all.

At the end of the day it is not only about the fitting process, it is about you finding the club that feels best. If you can try every iron in the range because it may be the cheapest or the most expensive you like. The more you try the better.

  • Like 2

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway Clubs

Callaway Big Bertha Putter - Preferred

Preferred ball - Seed 001

Link to comment
On 5/5/2020 at 3:34 PM, Tykoonce said:

That is good to know. I don't think that there is a TrueSpec near me. I live in Minnesota. I am leaning toward Club Champion. It seems like a lot of people really like them.

Club Champion will be great.  I'd have used them for the iron fitting but TrueSpec had just opened up a new location closer to my home so I gave them a try.  I don't think you'll be disappointed at either place.  

  • Like 1

SIM2 autoflex 505

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T100S 6-gap

Vokey SM8  54

Sub70 JB low bounce 58 or SM8 58*

PXG Operator H 

Link to comment

If stores are closed still. ping and callaway are offering distance fitting. A Callaway fitter will actually call you and discuss your needs. Ping is also offering an online fitting.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 1

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

Link to comment

Over the years I have been fit at the Ping factory (twice), Titleist fitting Thursday and at our local Golf USA several time.  Only one time did I have a problem when I was fit for a set of iron outside with a factory rep.  He did not have a launch monitor and suggested a stiff shaft when I should have had a regular.    

Ping G400 Max driver | Ping G410 3 & 5 fairway woods | Titleist 818 H1 4 & 5 hybrids | Titleist 718 AP1 irons | Titleist SM8 52F & 56S wedges | Bettinardi BB45 putter | Bushnell NEO Ghost GPS | Snell MTB-X yellow / Titleist Pro V1 yellow ball | GHIN hcp floats between 10 & 14

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

Link to comment
10 hours ago, Jbmullin said:

If stores are closed still. ping and callaway are offering distance fitting. A Callaway fitter will actually call you and discuss your needs. Ping is also offering an online fitting.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Good to know. If I just can't wait anymore it is good to know that I have options.

Link to comment

Pretty sure Club Champion and TrueSpec are open, at least they are in Florida.  Maybe check their websites and give them a call.

 

  • Like 1

SIM2 autoflex 505

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T100S 6-gap

Vokey SM8  54

Sub70 JB low bounce 58 or SM8 58*

PXG Operator H 

Link to comment
Good to know. If I just can't wait anymore it is good to know that I have options.

I actually tried it today to talk shafts in my new mavrik irons. After doing some research I felt like I might not have had the right shafts in them, turns out I got a great fitting from my local shop. Makes me happy to know.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

Link to comment

I did a fitting with a Titleist rep at my local club for a 3 wood and a hybrid and then did hours at Puetz in Seattle for my irons.  I was surprised at how fast the Titleist rep narrowed the recommendations for those clubs. He looked at the trackman data and tried about 2-3 setups and that was it. That day I was consistent and they still work great when I hit them.   

The Puetz experience was different because I was able to play around a lot over more than one day. Plus I worked with more than one fitter at two different locations. One guy was great, very patient and listened to what I had to say.  The other was a salesman who, while knowledgable, pushed the flashiness.  The clear example of the salesman (besides being stuck on selling the "look" of the club) was when I got good distance with one brand - but had absolutely no consistency.  Sure I hit one 7 iron 190, but the next went 165, and the one after that 176.  He pushed those sticks because I crushed the one.  I had no confidence in that person.

The other guy took the time to work with me and give me space to really try things out.  He told me about the pro's and con's of different brands (e.g. Some brands include various shafts in their price, others don't) and seemed to try to find something that really fit my swing - based on what the numbers said, but also what he was seeing. The clubs he sold me I consistently hit within a 5 yard range.  Not as far, but consistent.  

The short version of this is I am a believer in fittings. But just as with everything the people you work with make a difference.  I want to get a new driver and look at putters, but I hesitate to just buy something off the shelf because I have seen what a difference the right shaft can make.  Best of luck to you.

  • Like 2

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5; Aldila Rouge White 130 MSI 60S

:titelist-small: TS2 15 Deg; Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 70g 

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19 deg; Atmos HB TS 8S

:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-gap; C-Taper lite 110S

:vokey-small: SM 8 56 08M and 60 12D

:Snell: MTB Black

Costco KS1

Bushnell Pro XE

Link to comment
16 hours ago, Gatorbob said:

The short version of this is I am a believer in fittings. But just as with everything the people you work with make a difference.  I want to get a new driver and look at putters, but I hesitate to just buy something off the shelf because I have seen what a difference the right shaft can make.  Best of luck to you.

I just had an iron fitting yesterday at Mulligan's in the Richmond VA area.  I have been playing MP 57s for about 13-14 years.  I was looking at the new MP 20 lineup. We started with the Mizuno optimizer, which recommended a couple shafts over the one I am currently gaming.  We tried the MP 20 MMC first and then the MP 20.  After trying about a half dozen shafts, we were able to identify a shaft that had a nice tighter dispersion pattern that felt really good.  We were outside, so it was nice to see the flight on both good and poor strikes.  The ability to try different length shafts was cool, as we identified that my current shaft length caused a compensation that results in a pull shot miss. We repeated the process on my Hybrid.  As as result, I ordered a new set of MP 20s and a new Titleist hybrid.  It was an excellent experience and we even checked out a few tweaks on my driver setting and tested a few wedge options.  

I recommend finding a local green grass retail shop to support you local golf market.  🙂

  • Like 1

:ping-small:       Driver:  G410 LST 9 +1 Flat w/Tour AD DI 6X Orange

:taylormade-small:  3 Metal:   M2 13 degree w/Tour AD DJ 7X Orange

:titelist-small:          Hybrid:  818 21 

:mizuno-small:        4-PW:  MP 20  w/Dynamic Gold X100

:mizuno-small:        Wedges: 50-54-58: Mizuno MP T20 w/DG S400

:whitlam-golf-1:    Putter:  Joseph SS303 w/Super Stroke Fatso 5.0

:Snell:  Ball:  MTB Black

:1590477705_SunMountain: C130 S    🇺🇸    :skycaddie:

Link to comment
41 minutes ago, Gman24 said:

I just had an iron fitting yesterday at Mulligan's in the Richmond VA area.  I have been playing MP 57s for about 13-14 years.  I was looking at the new MP 20 lineup. We started with the Mizuno optimizer, which recommended a couple shafts over the one I am currently gaming.  We tried the MP 20 MMC first and then the MP 20.  After trying about a half dozen shafts, we were able to identify a shaft that had a nice tighter dispersion pattern that felt really good.  We were outside, so it was nice to see the flight on both good and poor strikes.  The ability to try different length shafts was cool, as we identified that my current shaft length caused a compensation that results in a pull shot miss. We repeated the process on my Hybrid.  As as result, I ordered a new set of MP 20s and a new Titleist hybrid.  It was an excellent experience and we even checked out a few tweaks on my driver setting and tested a few wedge options.  

I recommend finding a local green grass retail shop to support you local golf market.  🙂

Sounds like a very thorough session.  Congrats so you ended up with the MP20 blades?

  • Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to comment
1 minute ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Congrats so you ended up with the MP20 blades?

Yes.  I went there fully expecting to get the MP 20 MMCs, but I hit the MP 20s better.  The only problem is that I am eager to get them and am playing a Member Member this weekend with visions of the new MP 20s that will be a couple weeks or so arriving...LOL.  Mizuno just reopened last week, so they are catching up on orders.

  • Like 1

:ping-small:       Driver:  G410 LST 9 +1 Flat w/Tour AD DI 6X Orange

:taylormade-small:  3 Metal:   M2 13 degree w/Tour AD DJ 7X Orange

:titelist-small:          Hybrid:  818 21 

:mizuno-small:        4-PW:  MP 20  w/Dynamic Gold X100

:mizuno-small:        Wedges: 50-54-58: Mizuno MP T20 w/DG S400

:whitlam-golf-1:    Putter:  Joseph SS303 w/Super Stroke Fatso 5.0

:Snell:  Ball:  MTB Black

:1590477705_SunMountain: C130 S    🇺🇸    :skycaddie:

Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Gman24 said:

Yes.  I went there fully expecting to get the MP 20 MMCs, but I hit the MP 20s better.  The only problem is that I am eager to get them and am playing a Member Member this weekend with visions of the new MP 20s that will be a couple weeks or so arriving...LOL.  Mizuno just reopened last week, so they are catching up on orders.

Yep, our rep at Titleist says, "The longest wait any golfer has is the time from his order being placed, to the box showing up at the door"   He is so spot on!!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...