Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Srixon Z Star 5 vs Z Star 6

Hey everyone! I’m gonna give Srixon a try this season and wanted to get some input from the community! I currently game Chrome Soft Xs. Just wanted to know is there really that much difference between last season and the new Z Star? Also since I do tend to have a fade on poorly hit shots should I stay away from Z Star XV? Driver swing speed ranges from 100-103 mph. Thanks everyone! Appreciate any input!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Titleist TSr3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x D1/Neutral setting (RH)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr2 16.5 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

7 Wood: Titleist TSr2 21 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

5 Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 24 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 8x B2 setting (RH)

Irons: 2023 Titleist Black T100 5-PW AMT White S300 Onyx (RH)

Wedges: 2023 Titleist Black T100 50 AMT White S300 Onyx, Titleist SM9 Premium Jet Black 54D/12 bounce, 58M/8 bounce BGT ZNE 130 wedge shafts (RH)

Putter: Bettinardi Wizard Inovai 8.0 Custom with Stability Shaft Tour Black

Ball: 2022 Titleist ProV1x (yellow)

I’ve been playing both the z star and xv since generation 4. I prefer the z star overall but the xv is great off the tee and in the wind. The only real difference from 5-6 is that the z Star is a little firmer and the xv a little softer.  But the xv is definitely on the firm side. I use a milled putter so the softer z star feels better to me. For reference I swing the driver 105-108 but I only swing my 7 iron around 85 and I have no problem getting either ball to check on approaches or chips. Buy a sleeve of both and try them out. Best overall ball for the money imho. I will add I really prefer the Srixon yellow. 

Thanks for the response! I decided to try the XV 6 and played a round with them after the first 5 holes the cover had a big gash in it. And these were all fairway shots. I definitely see what your saying that XV is firm. Would you say the gen 5 XV would be better to play since you say it’s softer? I also went yellow! Game changing! Hahah I really want this ball to workout for me. Just makes me question durability. Have you experienced anything similar?

Driver: Titleist TSr3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x D1/Neutral setting (RH)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr2 16.5 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

7 Wood: Titleist TSr2 21 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

5 Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 24 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 8x B2 setting (RH)

Wedges: 2023 Titleist Black T100 50 AMT White S300 Onyx, Titleist SM9 Premium Jet Black 54D/12 bounce, 58M/8 bounce BGT ZNE 130 wedge shafts (RH)

The gen 6 is supposed to be softer than the 5 in the xv and the opposite for the regular z star. I haven’t had any problems with gouging but it is known that after some play you will start to notice the seam on both balls. It doesn’t seem to hinder performance but it doesn’t look very good if that kinda thing bothers you. It’s pretty well known with Srixon and I’ve even reached out to them and their response was that their covers are the thinnest of the premium balls and it’s not a defect of any kind. It’s more noticeable with the white than yellow. Their yellow for me has been great durability wise. You can get 6 packs of the gen 5 right now from golf discount for $10 which is an awesome deal and honesty aren’t much different than the gen 6 imho. 

Between the Chrome Soft X and Z Star XV which is the most durable between the two? I’ve played both they feel and spin bout the same just going for value and durability at this point. Thanks!

• 7 months later...

Just a few notes. I'm a 7 HC & I've been playing the Z Star XV for years and I have tried them all. If your driver swing speed is at least around 105 and up - then you will want to use this ball - period. It does not scuff up like the ProVX and it is a much better wind ball. Besides - it goes further. The following info is from a Srixon factory rep and the 2017 XV is a XV 5 generation ball. The compression is 105. In 2019 the compression was reduced to 102 and is that same compression today. The ProVx is only a 98 compression ball and (to me) it scuffs up a lot faster than the Z Star XV. But some other notes that you have wrong is that the regular Z Star(90) is a softer ball than the Z Star XV as it is only a compression ball much like the regular Pro V(88). I hit the Z Star XV much further than the ProVx. The advantage of the Z Star XV is that it is much cheaper and longer and lasts a lot longer and a much better wind ball.

The only thing I don’t like about the 19 version Is the balls have seams and sometimes the seam show even though the ball is not fully worn out. Srixon says it’s cosmetic but don’t like that it shows up. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

I’ve been jumping between tp5 and XV since they are both 40 per box. Still trying to decide hahah