TESTERS WANTED! ×

Current handicaps

revkev

During this strange time Golf Courses that are open have made modifications to the rules for obvious safety reasons. The most notable change has been the pool noodle in the cup. The rule at most clubs is, if it hits the noodle it’s deemed holed regardless if it goes in or not.

According to the Florida Golf Association we are to continue posting scores but we should add a strike to our score on a hole if in our estimation the ball would not have gone in.

I hit one “in” from 125 yards a month ago. How in the world am I supposed to judge if that would have gone down or not? It’s often tough to tell on a 15 foot putt, did it have too much pace, would it have caught the lip on the low side?

I have a buddy whose handicap index has dropped from over 11 to 7.4 at this time. I will grant that he’s playing every day and hitting the ball much better than I’ve ever seen him.

But also, he’s an attorney, he would argue that his ball would have hit the noodle if a gust of wind hadn’t of come up and removed particles from it so he’s counting it as holed. He’s had several “eagles” the past month. Most of the guys that he plays with can’t see the ball from 150 yards away (myself included at times) much less tell if it hit the hole or not.

I think it’s a mistake to allow scores to be posted under these conditions unless the mitigations are put in place for the entire season. Way too much judgment involved here.

Thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

4 minutes ago, revkev said:

During this strange time Golf Courses that are open have made modifications to the rules for obvious safety reasons. The most notable change has been the pool noodle in the cup. The rule at most clubs is, if it hits the noodle it’s deemed holed regardless if it goes in or not.

According to the Florida Golf Association we are to continue posting scores but we should add a strike to our score on a hole if in our estimation the ball would not have gone in.

I hit one “in” from 125 yards a month ago. How in the world am I supposed to judge if that would have gone down or not? It’s often tough to tell on a 15 foot putt, did it have too much pace, would it have caught the lip on the low side?

I have a buddy whose handicap index has dropped from over 11 to 7.4 at this time. I will grant that he’s playing every day and hitting the ball much better than I’ve ever seen him.

But also, he’s an attorney, he would argue that his ball would have hit the noodle if a gust of wind hadn’t of come up and removed particles from it so he’s counting it as holed. He’s had several “eagles” the past month. Most of the guys that he plays with can’t see the ball from 150 yards away (myself included at times) much less tell if it hit the hole or not.

I think it’s a mistake to allow scores to be posted under these conditions unless the mitigations are put in place for the entire season. Way too much judgment involved here.

Thoughts

Not sure about the 'noodles' and posting there since I assume they (noodles) probably take up most of the hole. At our Club, they inverted the cups, so they're just below the green. You can definitely tell if it went in or not. So we're posting those. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I carry a 5 in GHIN but that number is a little stale. Throughout the year I range between a 3-5. I don't record all my rounds anymore. Sometimes I'll get a new score posted when someone I've played with turns it in and I get recorded as well. I used to be obsessed with lowering my hcp - ie... chasing a number; and I'd never let a round go unrecorded. Then I quit mostly. Another reason is I might only play the Senior City Championship and/or Club Championship each year. I'll be in the championship flight regardless whether I have a 3 or a 5 on the books. I know this isn't ideal but it's what I do. Also, when I play games/matches we never play with a handicap. It's all heads-up.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Coming down. I can’t close-out my rounds! So close to being in the 70s each round. I just need to hit more GIR.

IMG_1517.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

We are not posting scores at my club until the pool noodles go away. Had one cost me an ace today, nice 8 iron over the flag that sucked back hit the stick and bounced up off the noodle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

2 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

We are not posting scores at my club until the pool noodles go away. Had one cost me an ace today, nice 8 iron over the flag that sucked back hit the stick and bounced up off the noodle.

Has your club indicated why they are choosing to disregard the USGA recommendation?  Is this possibly a decision made by the regional Association for all of its member clubs?  I'm not sure there's a real right or wrong here, but I'm curious.

At my club, we're using pool noodles maybe an inch below the green surface.  In my opinion, its really rare that these will "reject" a putt that otherwise would be holed, so to me its perfectly appropriate to post the scores.  If you can be close enough to be reasonably certain that a putt was rejected by the noodle, by all means count it as made.  If I'm an 8-iron away, I'm not sure I can see well enough to be certain that it wasn't simply rejected by the pin, or was moving too fast to be holed, but that's just me

Its a difficult time, even for those of us who are allowed to play golf.  I'm really looking forward to the days when we can resume tournament play as a step towards normalcy, and allowing (requiring) scores to be posted for handicap is a reasonable step to making those competitions fair when they can begin.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Has your club indicated why they are choosing to disregard the USGA recommendation?  Is this possibly a decision made by the regional Association for all of its member clubs?  I'm not sure there's a real right or wrong here, but I'm curious.
At my club, we're using pool noodles maybe an inch below the green surface.  In my opinion, its really rare that these will "reject" a putt that otherwise would be holed, so to me its perfectly appropriate to post the scores.  If you can be close enough to be reasonably certain that a putt was rejected by the noodle, by all means count it as made.  If I'm an 8-iron away, I'm not sure I can see well enough to be certain that it wasn't simply rejected by the pin, or was moving too fast to be holed, but that's just me
Its a difficult time, even for those of us who are allowed to play golf.  I'm really looking forward to the days when we can resume tournament play as a step towards normalcy, and allowing (requiring) scores to be posted for handicap is a reasonable step to making those competitions fair when they can begin.

No clue. Pro sent the membership and email that we are not posting scores at this time. As a general rule though tend to ignore most of the things that the USGA recommends.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

Yes we now have the noodles where they are below the cup level every where I play so the judgment factor has been greatly reduced - thank goodness - but it wasn’t that way at first and I know of people who are taking advantage of the situation to claim balls are holed or what have been holed when there’s no way.

Oh well I suppose it will be better for me when we can play again and my handicap index remains legit

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

This is tough. I personally wouldn’t be posting rounds rifgt now regardless. To much judgment involved. Hopefully we can all hear that sweet sound of the bottom of the cup soon

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Coming down. I can’t close-out my rounds! So close to being in the 70s each round. I just need to hit more GIR.
IMG_1517.thumb.PNG.3416c8e253c7856cd3a209160334a5b6.PNG

I'm loving the new GHIN app with the stats.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

But if you play you should post  - do I occasionally miss posting a round = yes - but I try not to - I'm playing better and might consider playing in some tournaments this year - those all come in October in Florida so I'll have lots of rounds between now and then - these will probably be off the card by then - I'm also only a year away from becoming a super senior where I will be much more competitive - I'm in that Senior Category of 55-64 - I was very competitive at 55 - at 63, not so much.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

13 hours ago, Lacassem said:

This is tough. I personally wouldn’t be posting rounds rifgt now regardless. To much judgment involved. Hopefully we can all hear that sweet sound of the bottom of the cup soon

@revkev is right, if posting is active in your region, at your club, it isn't a matter of choice, you're required to post your scores.  The system works when everyone follows the rules, it breaks down if each one of us exercises our own (widely varying) judgement.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

@revkev is right, if posting is active in your region, at your club, it isn't a matter of choice, you're required to post your scores.  The system works when everyone follows the rules, it breaks down if each one of us exercises our own (widely varying) judgement.

One of the interesting "things" about the new GHIN app is that you can enter other players (called Partners) and see if they are posting current rounds. Both my wife and I are getting annoyed because we know those players are out (men and women) and are not posting scores. i figure they're not posting because they didn't play well - which of course works against them for handicap purposes. Both of us are pretty diligent posting all of our scores. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

True good point. Let’s lower those handicaps boys!!!!

i still currently am not able to play but sounds like MA is putting out openings on Tuesday from what I hear

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

It confuses me as to why a state says don’t post... Yeah, if the cups are kept up and out of the hole, that would not be good, but if you still have to sink a putt, I don’t get it. It’s not like this virus makes everyone super human so they can hit drives 400 yards, or deadly accurate! Golf is still GOLF. Maybe they don’t want to “encourage” golf??? Who knows, but if one is playing, they ought to be putting in their scores.

Id agree that everyone's handicap is probably artificially low right now because of the cup situations.  I know that Im currently routinely shooting in the mid 80s, even on days where I feel like Im not hitting the ball all that well and I feel its largely because of the raised cups and because Im giving myself gimmies on anything within 5 feet.

Normally, I would be making myself hole out on every hole and I know that I would be missing some of those short putts.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Id agree that everyone's handicap is probably artificially low right now because of the cup situations.  I know that Im currently routinely shooting in the mid 80s, even on days where I feel like Im not hitting the ball all that well and I feel its largely because of the raised cups and because Im giving myself gimmies on anything within 5 feet.
Normally, I would be making myself hole out on every hole and I know that I would be missing some of those short putts.

Yes this was my point exactly - that’s not your fault BTW. Over the last two weeks everyone has gone to the pool noodles imbedded enough so that you can hole out. The instruction from the Florida Golf Association is that if the ball strikes the noodle and comes out and you think it would have been holed, you should count it as holed. (Paraphrase)

I think we’re good on the greens now, but from distance, guys are counting anything approaching the hole as eagle. I was uncomfortable counting the one I had that we could all see hit the noodle (week 1) but it was in a money game and won the hole.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Our holes have inverted cups and as of yesterday the flag sticks are in. It's pretty easy to tell if your ball went it. If it didn't and you're counting it - you're just fooling yourself. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Similar things today. My course had 2 inch pvc pipe cut and placed down in the hole. A putt would fall in with the ball being 80% below the cup. I had 4 or 5 lip outs today.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Yes this was my point exactly - that’s not your fault BTW. Over the last two weeks everyone has gone to the pool noodles imbedded enough so that you can hole out. The instruction from the Florida Golf Association is that if the ball strikes the noodle and comes out and you think it would have been holed, you should count it as holed. (Paraphrase)

I think we’re good on the greens now, but from distance, guys are counting anything approaching the hole as eagle. I was uncomfortable counting the one I had that we could all see hit the noodle (week 1) but it was in a money game and won the hole.

I'm fine it really. At the start of the season when my ball would hit the green I would add 2 strokes and move to the next hole. Now I at least try to putt it because who knows, I may just, "hole it" with 1 putt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

IMO it's a matter of being honest with yourself (something far too many golfers just aren't good at). It also may depend on conditions. I played a course 2 weeks ago that removed all flagsticks from the course and was using some sort of metal spike looking contraption in the cups. I noticed on some holes that the "bottom" of the cup was lower below the surface than some other holes (we're talking as much as 1/2" minimum). In fact I think it was the first or second hole that I had basically a tap-in that went in and bounced out the other side because bottom was raised so high. 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

50 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

IMO it's a matter of being honest with yourself (something far too many golfers just aren't good at). It also may depend on conditions. I played a course 2 weeks ago that removed all flagsticks from the course and was using some sort of metal spike looking contraption in the cups. I noticed on some holes that the "bottom" of the cup was lower below the surface than some other holes (we're talking as much as 1/2" minimum). In fact I think it was the first or second hole that I had basically a tap-in that went in and bounced out the other side because bottom was raised so high. 

Amen.  I feel like with all the rain we've gotten in Ohio recently, what I gain in strokes from not having to putt out I probably lose in how little roll your ball gets.  When I played on Friday the course was so soggy that your ball would stop within a few feet of where it landed, even with the driver.  Id be that I was losing probably 20 yards of roll off the tee.

Integrity of the golfer (as always) comes into play when determining what score to write down and what score to actually post when there is a disagreement within the group as to whether the ball was holed or not.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

VSGA posted this on their Handicap website, I understand the 5ft guidelines, generous gimme. But more then 20 feet is a little absurd.

COVID-19-Posting-with-Modified-Holes.jpg

:ping-small: G410 9* Evenflow Black 75 6.0

:ping-small: G410 3W Evenflow Black 85 6.0

:ping-small: G410 5W, 4H Evenflow Black 85 6.0

:callaway-small: Mavrik Pro 5-AW TT Elevate 95 S

:vokey-small: SM9 54F, 58D

:scotty-cameron-1: 2020 Special Select Newport 2

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:wilson-small: Triad

VSGA posted this on their Handicap website, I understand the 5ft guidelines, generous gimme. But more then 20 feet is a little absurd.
COVID-19-Posting-with-Modified-Holes.thumb.jpg.9aa84e75bf554bf857fad3ec8617647e.jpg

Makes me think of the Michelob Ultra commercial: “That’s good,” is the tag line, and the distance from the hole when it’s said gets progressively further as the commercial goes on!

COVID-19-Posting-with-Modified-Holes.thumb.jpg.9aa84e75bf554bf857fad3ec8617647e.jpg

[mention]DaveP043 [/mention] is a Virginia guy and pretty sharp with the rules. Have you seen this? Thoughts?
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

11 hours ago, Fieldrj said:

COVID-19-Posting-with-Modified-Holes.jpg

I’ll look or Dave will know but isn’t this their match play guidelines for posting?

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

This is included in the current Handicap Rules.  Previously, the rules simply said to post your most likely score if you didn't finish a hole, but really didn't tell you how to figure it out.  In the new WHS Rules, as issued by the USGA, they've provided this guidance as to how you should calculate Most Likely Score.  Notice that its guidance, not an exact definition.  The USGA added some information about how to deal with things like raised cups when posting for handicap, again going back to the concept of Most Likely Score.

For those of us who don't live in the USGA areas, places where match play and fourball scores aren't acceptable for handicap posting, this is a foreign concept, there's no need for Most Likely Score when posting only stroke play scores.

22 hours ago, Fieldrj said:

I see something about over 20 yards, nothing that mentions 20 FEET.  Did you maybe misread this?

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I talked to our head pro yesterday and the reason we are not posting is that not all clubs in the section are open for play at this point. Public golf just opened last week in NY and not all clubs are back online yet. I believe that our section also covers parts of CT and NJ where clubs just opened last weekend with limited play. Other issue he mentioned was with walking only about half our members can’t or won’t play until we can utilize carts.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond