Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

I'm ready to upgrade and get fit but not quite sure where to start

Hi all, I'm JD and in in the next 6 to 12 months I'd like to upgrade my golf clubs. I played in high school though that was almost 10 years ago. As evidenced below, I have clubs that are significantly older so an upgrade would do me well. The only thing is that I'm left handed so sometimes club selection isn't the best. That said it's much better now than years ago. My handicap isn't tracked but if I were to guess I shoot in the 90's usually, really happy to shoot 90. Also I'm based in Chicago for reference.

Currently I'm playing the following:

Driver Ping G5 with Alda 60 gram shaft, R flext, 43 inches (2005) 

Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue Mid 4H (2002)

Irons: Callaway Big Bertha Irons (2004) 4 iron to PW (this set also has a 10 iron so not sure what the lofts are on the 10 and PW)

Wedges Titleist older wedges in rough shape, beat up, and very heavy

Putter Oddesey White Hot XG Marxman (2008)

Last year I was able to go visit TXG and get fit for a putter. They spec'd me for a Evnroll ER7. Pretty pumped for it though wish they had the black finish but that's only in right handed unfortunately. 

I guess I have several questions: 

• Do I do a full bag fitting or do I decide to do it piece by piece?
  • I've never been fit for a golf ball but am really interested in doing so, should I get fit for a ball before getting fit for clubs?
  • Do I buy used, buy new and order directly from the manufacture, or oder from the club fitter?
  • How do I budget for a full bag?  

Any other thoughts, advice, or questions would be greatly appreciated. 

I'm in the Chicago area as well. I've been fit by Club Champion in Deerfield twice (4 yr span), but the guy that fit me has moved to Texas. But I had great experiences both times. I take advantage of their winter offer. Both times I did a full bag fitting, but split the irons and woods over two days as it's a lot of work. I also took my specs, sources my own components, and had another builder put together the clubs for me. Far cheaper for me doing it that way.

True Spec is supposed to be a good location, although I've never been there... Just driven past.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

I would highly suggest splitting up your fittings due to the amount of swings needed to get good data. I feel like a full bag fitting at one time is just too much for anyone. As a lefty I feel your pain with club availability, that’s why I went with a big company like club champion. I would definitely verify before booking anything to see what they have available in lefty, terrible feeling when you get there and they don’t have the club you’re dying to try. I have done individual fittings every few months so I’m not dumping a few grand at one time.

Through club champion once you spend $1000 over a 12 month period you get discounts on fittings and use of the hitting bays among other perks. If you do it right you can save money. You have to be honest about your budget at the beginning so you don’t get fit for something you won’t buy. I got fit for my Epic Flash driver with stock available upgrade shafts so I didn’t pay a dime over MSRP. I just bought my irons through them as well and actually paid less than I would have directly from mizuno. All assuming you’re planning on buying new current model equipment. Going used you can save a ton of money but it’s harder to get fit and find what you’re looking for.

I can see myself going back for a hybrid/wood fitting but wedges I’d like something outside in real conditions, on course. Hopefully in my ramblings here is something that helps you. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, dhartmann34 said:

I'm in the Chicago area as well. I've been fit by Club Champion in Deerfield twice (4 yr span), but the guy that fit me has moved to Texas. But I had great experiences both times. I take advantage of their winter offer. Both times I did a full bag fitting, but split the irons and woods over two days as it's a lot of work. I also took my specs, sources my own components, and had another builder put together the clubs for me. Far cheaper for me doing it that way.

True Spec is supposed to be a good location, although I've never been there... Just driven past.

Good idea about getting it done during the winter. I would totally get cost savings for sure. That said I'm wondering given I live in the midwest that the winter is when my season doesn't happen anymore. I'm a little weary of getting fit when I'm out of practice come winter instead of say middle of summer. Great idea of splitting it up into 2 days, I'd imagine whichever one I choose that as long as I ask they've probably be able to schedule it that way. As far as finding a builder, how'd you go about that? I'm intrigued about the possibility. 

Good idea about getting it done during the winter. I would totally get cost savings for sure. That said I'm wondering given I live in the midwest that the winter is when my season doesn't happen anymore. I'm a little weary of getting fit when I'm out of practice come winter instead of say middle of summer. Great idea of splitting it up into 2 days, I'd imagine whichever one I choose that as long as I ask they've probably be able to schedule it that way. As far as finding a builder, how'd you go about that? I'm intrigued about the possibility. 

Yeah I've figured out with how many swings you take in the fitting, your true seeing comes out... Middle of winter or not.

The fitter I found from a friend. He's a respected guy out of the Carolinas. Does great work and makes sure your clubs are exactly as the specs say. And his cost is far less expensive than CC. I can give you his info if you decide to go that way.

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

4 hours ago, LeftyRM7 said:

I would highly suggest splitting up your fittings due to the amount of swings needed to get good data. I feel like a full bag fitting at one time is just too much for anyone. As a lefty I feel your pain with club availability, that’s why I went with a big company like club champion. I would definitely verify before booking anything to see what they have available in lefty, terrible feeling when you get there and they don’t have the club you’re dying to try. I have done individual fittings every few months so I’m not dumping a few grand at one time.

Through club champion once you spend $1000 over a 12 month period you get discounts on fittings and use of the hitting bays among other perks. If you do it right you can save money. You have to be honest about your budget at the beginning so you don’t get fit for something you won’t buy. I got fit for my Epic Flash driver with stock available upgrade shafts so I didn’t pay a dime over MSRP. I just bought my irons through them as well and actually paid less than I would have directly from mizuno. All assuming you’re planning on buying new current model equipment. Going used you can save a ton of money but it’s harder to get fit and find what you’re looking for.

I can see myself going back for a hybrid/wood fitting but wedges I’d like something outside in real conditions, on course. Hopefully in my ramblings here is something that helps you. Good luck!

Great plan about fitting in two sessions like @dhartmann34 suggested, also I wish there was a decked out fitting company or setting that only had Lefty options. When I got fit at TXG for a putter, the fitter mentioned it was glad I was getting fit then as they had a better lefty selection that week but depends on supply and what players come in. Also it can take a while for them to get orders in too I guess. So when I do get fit I'll for for sure ask around or inquire with the shop/company I choose about lefty selection. 

Interesting about Club Champion and the spending over the time period. I'd have to see about if they offer something or not when I choose to spend a good chunk of money through them. Also wondering if I'd still be fine getting fit indoors instead of a location that has an indoor outside facility. How do you like your irons and other clubs you've gotten from being fitted?

Great plan about fitting in two sessions like [mention=67453]dhartmann34[/mention] suggested, also I wish there was a decked out fitting company or setting that only had Lefty options. When I got fit at TXG for a putter, the fitter mentioned it was glad I was getting fit then as they had a better lefty selection that week but depends on supply and what players come in. Also it can take a while for them to get orders in too I guess. So when I do get fit I'll for for sure ask around or inquire with the shop/company I choose about lefty selection. 
Interesting about Club Champion and the spending over the time period. I'd have to see about if they offer something or not when I choose to spend a good chunk of money through them. Also wondering if I'd still be fine getting fit indoors instead of a location that has an indoor outside facility. How do you like your irons and other clubs you've gotten from being fitted?

I think one thing to think about is stopping by the locations to check it out, all questions and get a feel for each facility.

My first set was great. I actually kept the irons I had, but had the shafts changed and specs updated to what we figured out during the fitting. Same with my woods. Updates the shafts and had the swing weights adjusted and I was good to go. Loved that the guy didn't sell me on anything. Just said keep your current clubs, upgrade to these shafts/specs and you'll be good to go. .

My current set I got fit into because I started taking lessons and my swing changed. This time I saw a big change from new irons and shafts and specs. Kept my wedges, but changed shafts and specs. Woods stayed the same. There wasn't much that could give me improvement enough to spend money on upgrading. I see myself with these for the foreseeable future. I'm not one to get distracted by new, shiny things... Thankfully! I believe it's the indian and not the arrow

20 hours ago, jd1993 said:
  • I've never been fit for a golf ball but am really interested in doing so, should I get fit for a ball before getting fit for clubs?
  • Do I buy used, buy new and order directly from the manufacture, or oder from the club fitter?

Fellow Lefty here so I feel your pain.  I've done some different fittings over the years.  Club Champion in January of 2019 to take advantage of pricing.  I felt like my swing was a bit off and wish it could have been in peak season, but not sure I'd have spent the additional money.  My issue was that I felt like I didn't get the best experience in terms of trying out all clubs/shaft combos or at least been given the reasons why clubs were ruled out versus others.  I do feel as though we ended up with a driver that I was hitting much more consistently than my previous gamer at that time, so I suppose the end result got me there.   I ended up buying slightly used (Mint or Excellent Condition) versions of the club and purchasing the shaft separately from places like Global Golf/2nd Swing for substantially cheaper.

I've also done iron fittings at a local shop in Indiana that has a trackman and fitting cart, and I know enough about the numbers I'm looking for to know what is working best.  That is what I preferred even though they didn't have some of the shafts that Club Champion did.  The fitting with club champion confirmed that these iron specs still performed better for me than anything else.

I think I would want to do a fitting one or two items at a time personally.  Take a step back and ask yourself what is the weakest part of your game and the strongest.  A new driver may get you 10 more yards, but if you already hit 8 fairways a round, it may not get much more accurate.  If it were me, I'd do an iron fitting and wedge fitting first and get those taken care of.  Next do the driver and then lastly wood and hybrid fitting.  

I tend to buy pre owned most of the time from actual trusted retailers and then I will have an item spec'ed to my needs usually with significant savings.  However, I did buy my irons from the local shop I mentioned as they do not have a mark up like typical box stores.  Example Purchased new mizuno irons that were 1100 in all stores and got them for 850.  

Lastly about your Evnroll putter - you can have them custom blacked out from several putter refinishers.  Sure the price will be high but you will have the exact look you want.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Great plan about fitting in two sessions like [mention=67453]dhartmann34[/mention] suggested, also I wish there was a decked out fitting company or setting that only had Lefty options. When I got fit at TXG for a putter, the fitter mentioned it was glad I was getting fit then as they had a better lefty selection that week but depends on supply and what players come in. Also it can take a while for them to get orders in too I guess. So when I do get fit I'll for for sure ask around or inquire with the shop/company I choose about lefty selection. 

I got my driver about a year ago, I love it. I was a terrible driver of the ball, I played many rounds without a driver. Still have bad days but much more manageable. I also did a putter fitting and found out I had a good putter for my stroke, he just made length, loft, lie adjustments and added a weight to the end of the shaft. I noticed a difference right away on course as I was rolling the ball much better. As for my irons...I’m still waiting on them. I got fit the week before NC went on lockdown, by time I ordered them mizuno was shut down. No real time frame on when I’ll get them. They did take 10% off for me because of the situation so that was nice.

I’m still not crazy about indoor only fitting but for me this was somewhere to start.

On 5/3/2020 at 6:11 AM, dhartmann34 said:

I think one thing to think about is stopping by the locations to check it out, all questions and get a feel for each facility.

My first set was great. I actually kept the irons I had, but had the shafts changed and specs updated to what we figured out during the fitting. Same with my woods. Updates the shafts and had the swing weights adjusted and I was good to go. Loved that the guy didn't sell me on anything. Just said keep your current clubs, upgrade to these shafts/specs and you'll be good to go. .

My current set I got fit into because I started taking lessons and my swing changed. This time I saw a big change from new irons and shafts and specs. Kept my wedges, but changed shafts and specs. Woods stayed the same. There wasn't much that could give me improvement enough to spend money on upgrading. I see myself with these for the foreseeable future. I'm not one to get distracted by new, shiny things... Thankfully! I believe it's the indian and not the arrow emoji846.png

@dhartmann34That's an interesting thought, if my irons were a bit newer I'd consider just getting a shaft adjustment. Maybe a stupid question but how did you determine you needed to get your shafts changed following your swing changes? 

On 5/3/2020 at 7:18 AM, juspoole said:

Fellow Lefty here so I feel your pain.  I've done some different fittings over the years.  Club Champion in January of 2019 to take advantage of pricing.  I felt like my swing was a bit off and wish it could have been in peak season, but not sure I'd have spent the additional money.  My issue was that I felt like I didn't get the best experience in terms of trying out all clubs/shaft combos or at least been given the reasons why clubs were ruled out versus others.  I do feel as though we ended up with a driver that I was hitting much more consistently than my previous gamer at that time, so I suppose the end result got me there.   I ended up buying slightly used (Mint or Excellent Condition) versions of the club and purchasing the shaft separately from places like Global Golf/2nd Swing for substantially cheaper.

I've also done iron fittings at a local shop in Indiana that has a trackman and fitting cart, and I know enough about the numbers I'm looking for to know what is working best.  That is what I preferred even though they didn't have some of the shafts that Club Champion did.  The fitting with club champion confirmed that these iron specs still performed better for me than anything else.

I think I would want to do a fitting one or two items at a time personally.  Take a step back and ask yourself what is the weakest part of your game and the strongest.  A new driver may get you 10 more yards, but if you already hit 8 fairways a round, it may not get much more accurate.  If it were me, I'd do an iron fitting and wedge fitting first and get those taken care of.  Next do the driver and then lastly wood and hybrid fitting.  

I tend to buy pre owned most of the time from actual trusted retailers and then I will have an item spec'ed to my needs usually with significant savings.  However, I did buy my irons from the local shop I mentioned as they do not have a mark up like typical box stores.  Example Purchased new mizuno irons that were 1100 in all stores and got them for 850.  

Lastly about your Evnroll putter - you can have them custom blacked out from several putter refinishers.  Sure the price will be high but you will have the exact look you want.

@juspooleThanks for being a lefty, we should commiserate in pain together! When you bought the driver and shaft, did you have someone locally instal them together? Still feel good about them? Yeah the way I see things, being confident about my irons, wedges, and putter would be priority. Maybe irons, wedges, and a hybrid/wood. Driver can wait if needed. Great thought about submitting the Evnroll putter into a putter refinisher. Good idea! I'll look into that and see if they'd take it.

On 5/3/2020 at 8:29 AM, LeftyRM7 said:

I got my driver about a year ago, I love it. I was a terrible driver of the ball, I played many rounds without a driver. Still have bad days but much more manageable. I also did a putter fitting and found out I had a good putter for my stroke, he just made length, loft, lie adjustments and added a weight to the end of the shaft. I noticed a difference right away on course as I was rolling the ball much better. As for my irons...I’m still waiting on them. I got fit the week before NC went on lockdown, by time I ordered them mizuno was shut down. No real time frame on when I’ll get them. They did take 10% off for me because of the situation so that was nice.

I’m still not crazy about indoor only fitting but for me this was somewhere to start.

Yeah I remember when I got fit and I have the email exchange that the guy adjusted things on my current putter and said I could totally buy some weights at the hardware store and achieve a similar effect to buying a new putter. Maybe I just wait on getting a new putter and focus on my irons and wedges instead as I'd save a lot of shots with approaches to the green. 

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 5/2/2020 at 8:36 AM, jd1993 said:

Hi all, I'm JD and in in the next 6 to 12 months I'd like to upgrade my golf clubs. I played in high school though that was almost 10 years ago. As evidenced below, I have clubs that are significantly older so an upgrade would do me well. The only thing is that I'm left handed so sometimes club selection isn't the best. That said it's much better now than years ago. My handicap isn't tracked but if I were to guess I shoot in the 90's usually, really happy to shoot 90. Also I'm based in Chicago for reference.

Currently I'm playing the following:

Driver Ping G5 with Alda 60 gram shaft, R flext, 43 inches (2005) 

Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue Mid 4H (2002)

Irons: Callaway Big Bertha Irons (2004) 4 iron to PW (this set also has a 10 iron so not sure what the lofts are on the 10 and PW)

Wedges Titleist older wedges in rough shape, beat up, and very heavy

Putter Oddesey White Hot XG Marxman (2008)

Last year I was able to go visit TXG and get fit for a putter. They spec'd me for a Evnroll ER7. Pretty pumped for it though wish they had the black finish but that's only in right handed unfortunately. 

I guess I have several questions: 

Any other thoughts, advice, or questions would be greatly appreciated. 

Focus on getting fit for the area you need to improve the most with=where you cost yourself the most strokes. 

A full bag fit spread over two to three days is possible or get fit for something you can afford to upgrade as you go. 

For instance, Driver, wedges, irons, gaping, ball could be one fit path spread over months or days. 

Looking at your bag it seems the two biggest gains would come from your driver and wedges. Driver tech is better in the last 15 years. And, you mentioned your wedges feel heavy so they may be costing you strokes due to mismatched weight and old grooves. 

I play wedges that are less than $60 each new from golfworks.com which are Maltby M+ wedges. 

My driver is a Callaway XR16 I got on Craigslist for $110. 

Newer equipment doesn't have to cost a lot. When you get fit you can ask for used gear recommendations with factory specs. eBay is a great resource for buying golf gear on a budget.

What are you trying to gain with a fitting?

I’d like to start by saying that new clubs rarely make much improvement to a players game, even if they are more forgiving or built to offset some weaknesses. Not to mention swings are always in a mild state of flux, so no build is perfect. However, I’ll wager you see a difference in two decades worth of club improvements. 

Lessons from a teacher that wants to help you understand your swing and how to score instead of changing you to a particular model will drop your score faster than anything else. Definitely the highest bang for your buck. 

As far as club fitting, I recommend doing it all at once bc your swing changes day-to-day. Plus the flaws really come out when you’re tired. I also think getting a driver that complements your irons is important and overlooked. I often see guys with great swings on their lightweight, counter-balanced, upright, xs-flex driver and then struggle with their high swing weight, standard lie, regular flex irons or vice versa. If you play on Tour and have 8 hours to practice all day, this probably isn’t an issue for you. 

If you can’t afford to do them all, then get fit based on your weaknesses. If you struggle keeping it in the fairway off the tee, a great set of irons won’t help you as much. In that case start with a driver. If you generally hit the fairway, start with your irons. 

Some fitters will give you a discount if you buy from them, so talk to them about your options. And don’t be afraid to ask them about some fitting theory and club preference to see if it aligns with your thoughts. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

So an update, I emailed True Spec some questions and they responded. Bolded are the questions I asked and below and answer I received.

If I decided to get a whole bag fitting, could I split up the sessions or get fit for irons, wedges, and a driver first and wait more than a month to get fit for hybrids/woods and putter?

We strongly advise for client who wish to break up an appointment into two sessions, that they do so by scheduling both appointments in closer proximity to one another. That said, if this is the only option that will work, we can do so.

I'm a lefty, how is your lefty suggestion? Aside from putters I'd imagine you'd have a good variety right or should I check closer to when I book the appointment? 

We have a wide selection for left handed players. If you are interested in a particular brand/model, please let us know in advance, so we can check the availability for you. Unfortunately, we have only 6 putter options for left handed players.

I don't really know my distances though I think I knew at least a while back I hit my 8 iron 125 or 128 yards. Is that ok I'm not quite sure about my distances?

You don’t have to know your exact distance to schedule an appointment.

Do you offer ball fittings? 

Unfortunately, we don’t offer a ball fitting.