TESTERS WANTED! ×

Delete

Guest Delete

On 5/2/2020 at 10:40 AM, Tsmithjr9 said:

It's going to be tough being a good putter if your eyes aren't over the ball

Take Dead Aim

Yeah, Jack Nicklaus was a horrible putter.  He only won 18 majors, 72 tournaments and placed in the top 10 in majors a total of 73 times.   😉

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 5/3/2020 at 5:51 PM, chisag said:

... Actually quite a few great putters have their eyes inside the ball, especially those with a gate stroke. Putting is the strongest part of my game and the main reason I play to a + index and my eyes are about 2" inside the ball. I have a pretty heavy gate stroke so I cannot see the line with my eyes over the ball. Everyone is different of course and more will putt better with their eyes directly over the ball, but when I gave a free short game lesson with a 5 lesson package, I found about 25% putted better with their eyes inside the ball. And for those that do putt better with their eyes inside the ball it is a real eye opener, if you will excuse the bad pun. They instantly started putting better. Imo Feel Putters do better with their eyes inside and technical putters do better with their eyes one the ball. Obviously not a hard and fast rule but something I found to be more true than not. 

... I think the interesting part is every putt is a straight putt and every stroke should be the same no matter how straight or how much break, with the only variance being length of stroke. The only difference in a normal putting stroke is better putters will often hit the ball on the toe on very fast downhill putts. But so many poor putters will try and" putt the break" like pushing a right to left and pulling a left to right putt. So it isn't the stroke as much as it is the read, then trusting that read and your stroke. 

I love what you said. Definitely in the school of every putt is a straight putt.

I practiced the last couple of days with my eyes inside the ball about a ball. I did make better putts that way!!!

Seems the majority who responded are inside the ball. Thanks to all who responded.

57 minutes ago, TimoTe said:

I love what you said. Definitely in the school of every putt is a straight putt.

I practiced the last couple of days with my eyes inside the ball about a ball. I did make better putts that way!!!

Seems the majority who responded are inside the ball. Thanks to all who responded.

including Luke Donald, and he's ok at putting 😉

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried pretty much everything.  I'm not a bad putter, but love tinkering and trying new things.  If you really want to blow someone's mind who has "all the answers" about putting, start using a side-saddle putter and watch them struggle with that.  Eyes over the line or slightly inside works equally well for me.  Side saddle works really well too.  The only thing that I really can't handle is eyes outside the line.  Square or open stance (side saddle is really just putting from a VERY open stance) can be equally helpful.  A more upright and open stance allows more peripheral vision and a more complete view of the line toward the hole.  

Most of the putting gurus say that your eyes either need to be over the ball or inside the line. Outside the line is bad, but I am sure someone might be able to make it work.  A putting mirror does wonders to ensure a repeatable setup every time....shoulders and eye position. 

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

I'd say I'm right over the ball, maybe slightly inside of it.  Somewhere between over the middle and over the inside edge of the ball.  Interestingly I posted this in the Evnroll thread but my Newport and Evnroll are set up with the same specs for length and lie angle but the hosel designs result in the Evnroll sitting about 1/4 inch closer to me at address position vs the Newport.  This allows me to more naturally have my eyes over the ball where the Newport I'm slightly inside of it.  I also have more of an arc when I putt with the newport, which seems to make sense to me.

As far as aiming goes, I use my line on the ball and visualize the putt as I'm walking up to it and setting up, that way my aim line is based on the line or a spot on the green a few inches ahead of the ball and I look at the hole one last time just for a speed check.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

always over the ball before. Agree with the OP that when I set up this way I am more hunched, which doesnt feel as natural but it does my hands more pronated and leads to a less handsy/wristy stroke. Much better results this way.

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

• Guests
Guest Delete

Practicing with my Lazer line has helped me with my sight line from setup to the hole. Once I am over the ball with the correct sight picture I feel free to swing and it will be in the intended target line. It does seem easier to see the correct site picture being just inside the ball - eyes over the hosel.

Not sure if you are on Instagram or not, but Padraig Harrington has a golf instruction segment, he just did one on putting alignment.  He basically says, there is no perfect way.  He shows you how you will know your correct setup, eyes over ball, eyes inside ball or eyes outside the ball.  It was very interesting!

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

I used to think they were over the ball till I got a putting mirror and realized they were way ahead of the ball. Have worked on a consistent set-up to now get directly over the ball.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

On 5/28/2020 at 6:00 AM, Headhammer said:

I used to think they were over the ball till I got a putting mirror and realized they were way ahead of the ball. Have worked on a consistent set-up to now get directly over the ball.

For those that don't have a putting mirror, I've seen IG videos where golfers take their putting stance, put a ball up to space between their eyes and just drop it. That should tell you where your eyes are.

For myself, I think I am too over the ball. But it's also the only way I get a more straight through putting stroke that does not wiggle and waggle.

For myself, I think I am too over the ball. But it's also the only way I get a more straight through putting stroke that does not wiggle and waggle.

Why do you want to try and have a SBST stroke?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

12 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Why do you want to try and have a SBST stroke?

It's not so much SBST that I am looking for, but just a smoother stroke, whether it's arched to SBST. And I can only do that when I am more hunched over, and eyes outside the target line.

If I move my eyes directly on top, or inside the line, I have a harder time getting it to start back smoothly. The putter head bobbles and everything. Maybe weak wrist? I don't know.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a line on my ball. I line up the ball to the intended direction. I align the center line of my putter with the line on the ball. Eyes just inside the ball. Straight back and straight thru. Keep my head down until a second or two after impact. Look up to watch the ball to see that the line runs end over end on the ball as it travels toward the cup. If it does I know I made a good stroke.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag