Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Choosing putters - stroke lab 7s & bettinardi studio stock 8

jaybeemaestro

I have an Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s and I'm about to get a 2nd hand bettinardi studio stock 8. Anyone have any experience with the Bettinardi? 

I swore I would not have more than one putter in the house but that only lasted around a year or so. I have a funny feeling there are similar-minded people on the MGS forum.

I can be a streaky putter but putting well enough with the Odyssey. Never had a putter fitting but I'd say it's closer to straight back straight through than a slight arc.

It was as much a curiosity thing to get the Bettinardi, such a good reputation for quality. 

Please share your thoughts/experiences, all welcome and appreciated.

2 minutes ago, jaybeemaestro said:

I have an Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s and I'm about to get a 2nd hand bettinardi studio stock 8. Anyone have any experience with the Bettinardi? 

I swore I would not have more than one putter in the house but that only lasted around a year or so. I have a funny feeling there are similar-minded people on the MGS forum.

I can be a streaky putter but putting well enough with the Odyssey. Never had a putter fitting but I'd say it's closer to straight back straight through than a slight arc.

It was as much a curiosity thing to get the Bettinardi, such a good reputation for quality. 

Please share your thoughts/experiences, all welcome and appreciated.

I have every putter I have ever bought, but I haven’t bought a new one in 12 years.  Found one I like and I don’t want mess with a good thing. 

28 minutes ago, RRD said:

I have every putter I have ever bought, but I haven’t bought a new one in 12 years.  Found one I like and I don’t want mess with a good thing. 

Any experience with Bettinardi? What did you settle on in the end?

Ive played Mizuno Bettinardi putters in the past and theyre wonderfully well-crafted putters.  Ive heard great things about the stroke lab putters too, so its all really what you like.  IMO, you cant really go wrong either way.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I’ve used the studio stock 8 the last 2 seasons. I’ve done well with it. But, I’m stupid and evidently incapable of being satisfied with a putter so during quarantine I’ve had a run with a Queen B 9 (didn’t work out) and now I’ve got a Queen B 5 on the way...

Driver: Titleist TS3 - TBD

3 wood: Titleist TS3 Hzrdus Smoke 70s 

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H2 @  18 and 23 Atmos 80ts

Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19, 5-pw w/ Elevate Tour s

Wedges: Vokey SM7, 50f and 54s  W/DG wedge. Ping glide 3.0 TS W/ DG TI S400

Putter: Bettinardi Queen B 9

19 hours ago, WooPig5154 said:

I’ve used the studio stock 8 the last 2 seasons. I’ve done well with it. But, I’m stupid and evidently incapable of being satisfied with a putter so during quarantine I’ve had a run with a Queen B 9 (didn’t work out) and now I’ve got a Queen B 5 on the way...

I was at that for a while but then I got really disciplined. One of the first was a Yes! Callow (34in). Nice, but I was getting a bad back so decided all Nik putters thereafter should be 35in. Then a Cleveland Classic #3, it looked really nice like the old Ping Zing. I just found I couldn't dial in distance putting and the feel was off. As soon as I lost confidence in it, it was time to move on. Next up was the Nike method (anser style), black and red. Same story as the Cleveland. Then Odyssey 1W. Then came a short run, TM Ardmore (copper fang) no good, Seemore (FPG? the big one) until I settled on the Odyssey strike lab 7s. At this point all previous putters were sold.

I was curious to see a Bettinardi on sale 2nd hand so pulled the trigger. I have to say, it's really nice (but carpet putting is the height of it at the moment). I'm trying to change my putting stroke a bit, longer back swing with a shorter thrust stroke that's held in position. A cleaner roll but distance control needs work, probably even more so from 4ft to 10ft. The harder milled face takes a bit of getting used to but the feedback from the face is good. So happy to have a putt out during lockdown.

But enough of my jibber-jabber, what made you move away from the SS8? 

The perfect storm of too much time to browse the internet, not making enough putts, and, as I mentioned before, stupidity. I got the Queen B 9 with store credit and stole the Queen B 5 on the bay but still have the SS8 to fall back on. So I guess the answer to your question is that I haven’t gone away from it yet, but rather, seeing if anything can beat it. 

Driver: Titleist TS3 - TBD

3 wood: Titleist TS3 Hzrdus Smoke 70s 

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H2 @  18 and 23 Atmos 80ts

Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19, 5-pw w/ Elevate Tour s

Wedges: Vokey SM7, 50f and 54s  W/DG wedge. Ping glide 3.0 TS W/ DG TI S400

Putter: Bettinardi Queen B 9