Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Package sets

Hi everyone!

I’m in Canada right now during all of this coronavirus madness, but I’m itching to get out on the course. My clubs are in LA, so I’m looking to buy a package set rather than getting fit for a whole new set. I was debating between the Wilson Profile SGI Teen vs the Wilson Profile SGI men’s sets. I’m only looking at the teen because I’m fairy short, but worried about how it handles faster swing speeds. I’m no tony finau, but my driver swing speed can push 105, so I just want to make sure these won’t break on me. Anyone have experience with either?

Driver: :taylormade-small: M4 D-Type

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 2 Max 3HL

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Rogue X 18*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21*

Irons: :callaway-small: Rogue 5-AW

Wedges:  :titelist-small: SM7 54*08M, 60*04L

Putter: Wilson Infinite West Loop

:Arccos:

• Guests
Guest Delete

The problem with those package sets is being too soft a flex as it looks like you will use stiff flex. Plus, if you are short then either playing standard length with a flat lie angle or shortening the clubs would be better. Below are some products you can customize to your build specs and get a custom set for you. The costs are very reasonable. 

Irons $230 https://www.golfworks.com/paks/c/10015/

Driver $140 https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-stw2-driver-pak/p/pma0314/

Sand wedge $40 https://www.golfworks.com/paks/c/10015/filter/100000000159eq100000000317and100000000181eq100000000186/

Putter $100 https://www.golfworks.com/paks/c/10015/

Total is $510 for new custom equipment built the way you want. 

Another way would be used equipment on eBay, OfferUp, or Craigslist.

I would recommend getting stiff flex which isn't going to work in a boxed set.

Edited by Delete
Adding info

I’m curious as well because I am looking at box sets and am short as well. I imagine that my swing speed is in the 85-95 mph range, so I wonder if teen would work for me, though I would prefer adult for my ego.

On 5/2/2020 at 9:16 PM, birdiehole said:

I’m in Canada right now during all of this coronavirus madness, but I’m itching to get out on the course. My clubs are in LA, so I’m looking to buy a package set rather than getting fit for a whole new set. I was debating between the Wilson Profile SGI Teen vs the Wilson Profile SGI men’s sets. I’m only looking at the teen because I’m fairy short, but worried about how it handles faster swing speeds. I’m no tony finau, but my driver swing speed can push 105, so I just want to make sure these won’t break on me. Anyone have experience with either?

Edited by joshuac3

Driver: :wilson-small: Profile SGI 10.5*

Hybrid (4H): :tour-edge: Hot Launch 4 22*

Hybrid (5H): :wilson-small: Profile SGI

Irons (6-PW, SW): :wilson-small: Profile SGI

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot XG #1

22 hours ago, TimoTe said:

The problem with those package sets is being too soft a flex as it looks like you will use stiff flex. Plus, if you are short then either playing standard length with a flat lie angle or shortening the clubs would be better. Below are some products you can customize to your build specs and get a custom set for you. The costs are very reasonable. 

Irons $230 https://www.golfworks.com/paks/c/10015/

Driver $140 https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-stw2-driver-pak/p/pma0314/

Sand wedge $40 https://www.golfworks.com/paks/c/10015/filter/100000000159eq100000000317and100000000181eq100000000186/

Putter $100 https://www.golfworks.com/paks/c/10015/

Total is $510 for new custom equipment built the way you want. 

Another way would be used equipment on eBay, OfferUp, or Craigslist.

I would recommend getting stiff flex which isn't going to work in a boxed set.

Great info. Appreicate the feedback. In more normal set I use a regular flex, but I got fitted for my clubs in late 2018 just as I was getting into the game. I was between regular and stiff and my fitter recommended sticking with regular. I'm going to look at the options at that golfworks site. Thanks!

My main concern with the box set is durability. I don't want anything snapping on me mid swing and potentially injuring someone. Or breaking if I somehow hit the ground with the driver lol. I've seen a couple of videos of clubheads coming off at impact from a shank, but I don't know if those were box set clubs or custom-built or off the rack. I'm really looking at this as just a last resort option to get some golf in while I'm in Canada.

Edited by birdiehole
Add more detail

• Guests
Guest Delete
2 hours ago, birdiehole said:

Great info. Appreicate the feedback. In more normal set I use a regular flex, but I got fitted for my clubs in late 2018 just as I was getting into the game. I was between regular and stiff and my fitter recommended sticking with regular. I'm going to look at the options at that golfworks site. Thanks!

My main concern with the box set is durability. I don't want anything snapping on me mid swing and potentially injuring someone. Or breaking if I somehow hit the ground with the driver lol. I've seen a couple of videos of clubheads coming off at impact from a shank, but I don't know if those were box set clubs or custom-built or off the rack. I'm really looking at this as just a last resort option to get some golf in while I'm in Canada.

I wouldn't worry about them breaking. I would be concerned it is a waste of money.

Boxed sets are closer to Reg flex. 

Hey there

I wholeheartedly second the suggestion for Golfworks/Maltby. Compared to a box set of any brand, there is really not going to be any comparison. Spend $500 on a set of Maltbys and you're getting the equivalent of a $1500 set of ANY brand. If you know your specs, you can have the clubs custom built for you. Also, you're getting real deal shafts, grips, etc that aren't made for the company with possible lower production standards.

As for durability, not an issue whatsoever. I'm on my 4th year with my Maltby DBMs and they're in outstanding condition. Just look around the site for Maltby clubs and you'll find a strong support group ranging from scratch to mid-high handicaps.the patience of waiting 1-2 weeks to have the clubs built and shipped will be well rewarded.

Good luck!

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 5/6/2020 at 4:25 PM, birdiehole said:

+1 on Golfworks. I would also recommend taking a look at Gigagolf for a custom set on a budget. For a package set give Tour Edge a look, however you probably won't be able to customize them.

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

• 2 months later...

Quick update on my purchase. I decided to spend less money and go with the faster option by purchasing the box set. I purchased the Wilson Profile Teen set.

Length-wise, these clubs are perfect for my height. They sit nicely at address, and I think the lie angle is actually perfect for me. I produce some pretty straight shots with them. Not sure if it's a change in my technique or anything like that. I have a feeling that my irons back home might be a degree or two flatter than these as I tend to produce a more noticeable fade with my Callaway Rogues. I have to say, I'm pretty confident when I'm holding a six iron or lower into a green. Story isn't the same with my Rogues, but I've been practicing a lot more in quarantine, so I'm excited to go back and give them a go.

I have difficulty swinging the wedges (PW, SW) with full swings. They seem to launch higher than I want, and not as far. I did get the closest I've been to a hole-in-one by hitting a PW from 105 yards to 2 feet. However, I feel like I struggle launching them lower and with more zip. Pitching and chipping with the wedges is actually really good. My feel with the SW from 40 yards and in is pretty on point. I can get the ball to the green on the landing spot I want. 

One of the previous posters here mentioned that he thought that the flex would be too soft for my swing speed, and he was 100% correct regarding the driver and fairway wood. They have a significant amount of give when I swing, which makes timing my swing feel a bit awkward. Hopefully it doesn't mess my with my swing when I go back home and use my M4. I feel like I only carry the driver 180-210 depending on strike. Not sure how much to attribute to myself or the club. I do struggle hitting the center of the face. I mostly hit towards the heel and produce SWOOPING slice...ehm...power fade....

I absolutely hate hitting the fairway wood. Back home I use a 3-wood I got in a different box set, and that one I hit wonderfully. I actually took this fairway wood out of play. So my long options are Driver and five hybrid. The five hybrid can be hit or miss - usually a hit, but I can at times hit an awkward, spinny ball that launches but then just takes a dive straight down. I think I only hit it about 5 to 8 yards beyond my 6 iron carry. I usually stick to 6 iron when I can because I feel more consistent with it.

So far, nothing has broken, and I don't think anything will. The clubs feel very sturdy. The paint job on them is not the best. They actually look they were painted by hand by a 10-year-old because there are occasional spots where the paint bleeds over to another section of the club where it's not supposed to be. Doesn't really matter to me though, the clubs themselves work fine.

Overall, the box set has accomplished what I needed it to: I'm able to go out and play golf. No regrets thus far.

Edited by birdiehole
Grammar