TESTERS WANTED! ×

Where Do You Stand?

1 hour ago, PlaidJacket said:

There's a much bigger price to pay by doing business with your sworn enemy too. Further - for those companies that want to continue making their goods in China; and thereby hurting America -  each product will have to be labeled, Made in Communist China. Not just China. Let's not sugar coat facts and reality.

While that might be a possibility there’s lots of consumers that don’t care that much and prefer lower costs. It will be interesting to see how things play out but is don’t see any major changes in any industry coming anytime soon. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 4 weeks later...

I can honestly say that I don't care in the slightest whether my clubs are made here or not. It's never occurred to me to think about it before, so it seems like a very strange thing to take into account during club selection. But to each their own. 

Driver: Ping G10

3w: Ping G10

4H: Callaway FTiz

Irons: Titleist DCI Oversize+ Gold 4-L

Putter: Odyssey O-works 7s

Definitely looking to replace all but the putter 😄

Tom Wishon wrote about how all manufacturers have switched to using overseas foundries for their major product lines (including his custom fit components business). He discussed the quality being there from overseas foundries and the US foundries at the time not keeping up in quality, innovation, or price. I don't know if there are any foundries in the us making cast or forged iron heads, but there are a few Asian countries (not just China) that produce good parts.

I think Cobra's MiM wedges are an exception, I believe those heads are produced here. I know there are boutique putter and wedge companies who mill heads from solid billet that are made here and not vastly more expensive than the Japanese forgings (Epon, Miura, etc).

You'll never see it in a most wanted, but Bell Putters is a cool underdog/mom and pop type company that mills putters from billet in the US and sells at a price cheaper than cast putters imported from Asia by other brands.

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

I’d love to buy equipment made here in the USA and I’d pay a few dollars more to do it. In fact when I bought solar panels for my house I did just that, searching out panels made in Georgia for just a few dollars more to purchase made in the USA.

Unfortunately, we as a society decided the fate of USA club manufacturing. The Cornell Foundry in Chicago was forging all of Wilson’s stuff from the 1930’s up through the 1990’s. Same with Macgregor before they moved from Ohio to Georgia and had their clubs forged by Hoffman in Tennessee.

By the late 1990’s/early 2000’s the Tiger Boom lead to more players looking for cheaper, more forgiving clubs, ie, investment cast. The days of buying a custom ground set of forged irons that you were going to play for 10-15 years was over. Now it was a throwaway society, every two years we needed new clubs. The old guard couldn’t survive in that climate and cheap labor won out.

We can look back fondly on the days of USA made goods but unless we want to spend $4000 for a set of irons so factory workers in the USA can make a good wage, I don’t see club manufacturing coming back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

There are two reasons club heads are made in China: labor costs & no EPA. People saying they would be willing to pay a "little more" for clubs made in the US are disillusioned that it would only be a few dollars more. The costs would be substantially more! I'm not saying it's right or wrong it's just a fact. The last Callaway wedge I purchased had a label that stated where the club was made, where the shaft was made and where the club was assembled and none of those places were the US.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I think a lot of people also lose sight of the fact that the raw materials to actually make products on home turf probably come from abroad. The steel used for "made in USA' may not actually be 'sourced in the USA'. Imports are rife in any form of raw material for millions of products - not just golf clubs or their component parts. 

But if you ask the consumer to take a stance between environmentally and ethically sourced materials and their wallets, the wallet usually wins out every time. Personally, I'd like a company to use more recycled materials and use them more effectively to make products that eliminate global imports. 

34 minutes ago, jaskanski said:

I think a lot of people also lose sight of the fact that the raw materials to actually make products on home turf probably come from abroad. The steel used for "made in USA' may not actually be 'sourced in the USA'. Imports are rife in any form of raw material for millions of products - not just golf clubs or their component parts. 

But if you ask the consumer to take a stance between environmentally and ethically sourced materials and their wallets, the wallet usually wins out every time. Personally, I'd like a company to use more recycled materials and use them more effectively to make products that eliminate global imports. 

I like True Linkswear golf shoes.  They have recently introduced their True Eco Knit.  The upper part is 100% recycled plastic.  

tropic-blue-hero.jpeg.3c1be0bf7cd180e0ecbe5fd676267774.jpeg

Since the True shoes I have are made in China, I'm sure these are too, especially since they are $99.  So, we are now being sold recycled Chinese plastic!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Here in the USA, we are addicted to cheap goods.  I would go so far as to say that the health of our economy is predicated on the volume selling of cheap goods.  It would take someone much smarter than me to figure out a way to manufacture cheap goods in the USA while maintaining high wages.  We are sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

On 6/3/2020 at 7:13 AM, Headhammer said:

There are two reasons club heads are made in China: labor costs & no EPA. People saying they would be willing to pay a "little more" for clubs made in the US are disillusioned that it would only be a few dollars more. The costs would be substantially more! I'm not saying it's right or wrong it's just a fact. The last Callaway wedge I purchased had a label that stated where the club was made, where the shaft was made and where the club was assembled and none of those places were the US.

Yup. People complain about $500 drivers, $250 hybrids and lets not forget all the heat pxg gets for their prices. We would be looking at $800+ for drivers, the current Miura price would probably be the norm for iron sets.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 5/5/2020 at 7:42 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Unlike titleist, bridgestone, Srixon and Callaway they don’t own the entire process. They get their cores made by somebody else. They then assemble them 

TaylorMade urethane model core/mantle assemblies are made by Nassau (South Korea) and Foremost (Taiwan). Then the cast thermoset urethane cover assembly, finishing, stamping, external QA, and packaging is all handled in the South Carolina factory. Their ionomer covered models are produced entirely in Asia.

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

I agree with this.

I wouldn’t exclusively buy made in America but do support and purchase things made here.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver- Cobra Speedzone 9° default_cobra-small.jpg.bf0039c0fa211a003217e70e184035fa.jpg

Woods- Sub70 Pro 5-Wood   08e84065c69a5a06ed8fec52d91a.jpg.08662cdc8041ba1124fe725b926a5e95.jpg  

Utility- Titleist 718 T-MB 4 Utility  default_titelist-small.jpg.d620943db19c6c6f477d78c3e6dcfb1b.jpg

Irons- Sub70 649 MB Tour 5-PW, 699 Pro 2U  08e84065c69a5a06ed8fec52d91a.jpg.08662cdc8041ba1124fe725b926a5e95.jpg

Wedges- Cleveland Zipcore RTX 52°,56°, 60°  default_cleveland-small.jpg.0615c53919b7f92c3524630e353b33bb.jpg

Putter- Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 default_cameron-small.gif.dd99234f0267bb38c40c23053034a445.gif

Ball- Titleist ProV1x default_titelist-small.jpg.d620943db19c6c6f477d78c3e6dcfb1b.jpg