Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Those That Converted From Riders to Walkers: Your experiences...

As more and more courses start to open after being shutdown by the Corona Virus restrictions, many are doing so with cart restrictions or walking only. 

That's certainly understandable, and I wanted to get use this thread to get some overall thoughts from those that were exclsuviely riders in the past that will be walking upon golfs return, either on your own or due to the  restrictions. 

As somone who rides probably 99% of my rounds,  I'm very intriqued on how this will all shape out for my golf.  My 1% of walking is usually at a destination course with a caddy, such as a Pinehurst, Whistling Stratis, or Bandon.   I can't even recall the last time I walked and carried my bag for more than a 4 or 5 hole loop at my course. 

While I have walked those resort courses very recently and with no issues, it was on courss that are not terribly dififcult to walk.   My home course where I work and play is entirely different. ovre 95% of our play prior to the Pandemic was ridingn.  Before we were shutdown completely by the state Stay at Home Restrictions were were open for walking only for a few days, and we filled our tee sheets each day.   Partlyy I'm sure due to a very low rate we offered and beauutiful weather those few days.  

I've een lookng at push and electirc carts a lot the past few days, and have read all  the reviews and threads here and other plces and have pretty much settled on a few that I are at the top of my list.  Both push and electric.

However, before I were to make a large investment in an electric cart, I have to determine if walking our course, even with an electric or push cart is going to be physically feeasable fo rme.    One plus during this stay at home, I've lost 14  pounds and on top of 20 lost after a surgery in Novembe, I'm currently at the lightest I've been in over 15 years.   So that should help.    But I am worried about the layout of the course and the distance between some holes, it's not like walking a typical muni that has tees and greens located with a few yards of each  other.

So let's hear all your thoughts from  those who were riderss that have  or are planning on doing mostly walking and of course from the lng time walkers for any help or suggestions when you're playing a course that is not really walking friendly.   I  of course know to look for short cuts where you can leave your cart/bag and come back to it after putting out or teeing off.   

But hopefully we can get some good discussionns going here on the virtures and pitfalls of walking as things reopen.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I'm not a rider (except when only option at resorts) but I'm coming from the other direction. I (used to) love to walk and carry because of the simplicity but thanks to my Tiger-like spine issues I have moved to push carts and latterly to powered carts.

With the modern light weight materials there's a lot of choice when it comes to push carts and for the most part they fold up pretty small so you can't really go wrong. For me personally, as my condition got worse I found the slightly bent forward posture needed for the carts, especially on inclines, problematic. That's when I started looking at electric options. I bought a PowaKaddy FW5 and used that for about a year and loved it. Prompted by my enjoyment a couple of my playing partners then bought into the original eWheels launch.

Interestingly, I was at first a bit envious of the remote control capability but then I found it a distraction for both them and me as they were constantly fiddling with the remote control and overall it detracted from the social aspect of the round as well as some etiquette breaches. One guy has the habit of steering the cart way up the fairway and maneuvering while others are playing their shots. So there is a social as well as technical learning curve. The positives of the remote are that it does completely free you up to walk naturally and, when done correctly,  the ability to move cart to next tee etc can save time.

My experience watching them with their remotes got me thinking that surely it would be possible to get the cart to follow you. Of course, when I looked into this more I came across the Stewart X9 follow. I almost fell off my chair when I saw the price but found one on eBay for about $1500. I sold the PowaKaddy and took the plunge. Overall, I'm extremely happy with the X9. I use the follow function a lot during my rounds and it truly is a liberating experience being able to stride along the fairway with the bag dutifully following behind. There are a few negatives to the Stewart design but overall I can't see changing in the near future.

I was interested in the eWheels v2 which has follow, until I read that there is a physical wire tether. I thought it was a joke at first. I talked with the inventor and at some point they will have an upgrade which means this is not needed.

Hope this helps, happy to provide more detail on the X9 experience if anyone is interested.

6 minutes ago, mizuno said:

I'm not a rider (except when only option at resorts) but I'm coming from the other direction. I (used to) love to walk and carry because of the simplicity but thanks to my Tiger-like spine issues I have moved to push carts and latterly to powered carts.

With the modern light weight materials there's a lot of choice when it comes to push carts and for the most part they fold up pretty small so you can't really go wrong. For me personally, as my condition got worse I found the slightly bent forward posture needed for the carts, especially on inclines, problematic. That's when I started looking at electric options. I bought a PowaKaddy FW5 and used that for about a year and loved it. Prompted by my enjoyment a couple of my playing partners then bought into the original eWheels launch.

Interestingly, I was at first a bit envious of the remote control capability but then I found it a distraction for both them and me as they were constantly fiddling with the remote control and overall it detracted from the social aspect of the round as well as some etiquette breaches. One guy has the habit of steering the cart way up the fairway and maneuvering while others are playing their shots. So there is a social as well as technical learning curve. The positives of the remote are that it does completely free you up to walk naturally and, when done correctly,  the ability to move cart to next tee etc can save time.

My experience watching them with their remotes got me thinking that surely it would be possible to get the cart to follow you. Of course, when I looked into this more I came across the Stewart X9 follow. I almost fell off my chair when I saw the price but found one on eBay for about $1500. I sold the PowaKaddy and took the plunge. Overall, I'm extremely happy with the X9. I use the follow function a lot during my rounds and it truly is a liberating experience being able to stride along the fairway with the bag dutifully following behind. There are a few negatives to the Stewart design but overall I can't see changing in the near future.

I was interested in the eWheels v2 which has follow, until I read that there is a physical wire tether. I thought it was a joke at first. I talked with the inventor and at some point they will have an upgrade which means this is not needed.

Hope this helps, happy to provide more detail on the X9 experience if anyone is interested.

Great thanks very much.  I have read several other comments about the learning curve of the remote.   Interesting that you mention the social distraction, I've have seen that with other items such as cell phones, game tracking devices such as Arccos  and Game Golf and certain GPS devices that are used for that as well. 

I really like everything about the follow concept.  I could see myself however, always checking behind me to make sure it's there...LOL.    I  am wondering, it would be really neat if it could "follow" you in front of you.   You know staying within 10 yards or so of the device you are wearing on your belt, but just start out on a straight forward path.  

What do you say are the few negatives to the Stewart?

That's  hilarious about the tethered wire device..Ha

There is a brand that does the forward "follow" - can't remember what it was called - I'll see if I can find it.

I agree on the distractions, cell phones particularly. That really gets me wound up sometimes but that's for me deal with better. I do think though that the culprits are missing out on a lot of what golf is about. I manage the tournaments at my club and some of the members are asking for live scoring but I'm kind of resisting because that just means more cell phones :-).

The follow function is very reliable and yes, at first it takes a bit of getting used to and you will be looking over your shoulder but after a couple of rounds you'll be in full flow. It is very accurate and although not recommended I will let it follow me over more difficult areas (bridges) and terrain. Once in a while, the bluetooth will drop and then you have to go back and fetch it. This happens once every 4 rounds say and is usually caused by a pot hole or some other ground anomaly. 

X9 negatives, in order of importance:

- no cruise control / dynamic braking - they claim to have a downhill brake but this is misleading - this just means you can leave on a slope and it will stay put.
if the power is engaged the cart will run away and speed up on a steep slope. this means you either have to keep hold of the handle (not a big deal), use series of small turns to brake or engage the follow and trust it will not nail you in the calves like a shopping trolley 🙂.

- it's a little bulky for transport (i have a truck so not an issue for me)

- lack of a sturdy umbrella mount (they do have one but it looks like it would snap in any wind)

- lack of battery power indicator - the stock battery is fine for 1+ rounds so not a huge deal 

- cost - the prices have come down recently but I would not have paid full price

30 minutes ago, mizuno said:

There is a brand that does the forward "follow" - can't remember what it was called - I'll see if I can find it.

I agree on the distractions, cell phones particularly. That really gets me wound up sometimes but that's for me deal with better. I do think though that the culprits are missing out on a lot of what golf is about. I manage the tournaments at my club and some of the members are asking for live scoring but I'm kind of resisting because that just means more cell phones :-).

The follow function is very reliable and yes, at first it takes a bit of getting used to and you will be looking over your shoulder but after a couple of rounds you'll be in full flow. It is very accurate and although not recommended I will let it follow me over more difficult areas (bridges) and terrain. Once in a while, the bluetooth will drop and then you have to go back and fetch it. This happens once every 4 rounds say and is usually caused by a pot hole or some other ground anomaly. 

X9 negatives, in order of importance:

- no cruise control / dynamic braking - they claim to have a downhill brake but this is misleading - this just means you can leave on a slope and it will stay put.
if the power is engaged the cart will run away and speed up on a steep slope. this means you either have to keep hold of the handle (not a big deal), use series of small turns to brake or engage the follow and trust it will not nail you in the calves like a shopping trolley 🙂.

- it's a little bulky for transport (i have a truck so not an issue for me)

- lack of a sturdy umbrella mount (they do have one but it looks like it would snap in any wind)

- lack of battery power indicator - the stock battery is fine for 1+ rounds so not a huge deal 

- cost - the prices have come down recently but I would not have paid full price

Thanks this is all great info!  While i really like the concept of the follow, I'm not sure I want to spend that much right off the bat.   

My full time job is Tournament Director  at our two courses.  One of the big things we have been talking about is the post golf "banquet" for the large outings.  These may not happen in the near future, so one thing that has been discussed is it will be required for scoring to be done via our course App, which we've had in place for a few years.   But like you said, it will mean one person at least in each group will be updating their cell phone each  hole.    So it will be interesting to see how it all  shakes out n a lot of ways. 

13 minutes ago, mizuno said:

CaddyTrek R2 is the one that has a "marching mode" as they call it.

I'll take a look at it.  Thanks

1 minute ago, mizuno said:

Which app are you using for your tournaments if you don't mind me asking?

It's our course app,  CompassPointeGolf  but it's powered by Gallus. 

CG2, I'm also going to throw in an idea for an accessory that should be a must get for someone like you who's thinking it might be a change, and that's a seat that you can attach to whatever cart you get. A lot of the older guys I play with swear by them and considering you don't now how your body is going to react, especially with your recent weight loss, a good investment for sure.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

15 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

CG2, I'm also going to throw in an idea for an accessory that should be a must get for someone like you who's thinking it might be a change, and that's a seat that you can attach to whatever cart you get. A lot of the older guys I play with swear by them and considering you don't now how your body is going to react, especially with your recent weight loss, a good investment for sure.

Berg, thanks very much. That is definitely something I need to look at.  As our courses don't have benches out on any of the holes.  And while I can walk the 4 to 6 miles needed for most rounds, sometimes it's the idle standing that is most painful due to a back issue.   During my walking round at Whistling Straits last year, I was 100% fine when we were walking--with caddies--but a couple times we had an extended wait in the fairway waiting to hit.    I found myself having to pace around in order to keep my back from gettting tight. 

It seems that most of these don't have a seat.  when I get down to a final decision that will be one of the accessories I check  out.   Or see if I can get one of those foldable stadium seats that you see some carry at golf tournaments, maybe it could fit in next to the bag or something and then taken out if I need it.

I've played a fairly good variety of courses while walking - some tight, and some not so much, hills, flat, at elevation, you name it. While I certainly would be less exasperated after a round riding, I find that I'm much more focused and at the same time less in my own head when I walk. Walking just allows me to enjoy the course in an entirely different way that works well for me. I think most of the people who walk regularly would probably tell you something similar.

What makes walking truly difficult is that 1) your are expending more energy which means you need to stay hydrated and should probably pack a snack or two if you don't do these things currently. 2) when you walk, you are more exposed to the elements. If you live somewhere that gets particularly hot, you really should look at purchasing a cart with an umbrella attachment and use it to keep yourself from getting completely baked. Also worth consideration is a seat of some kind for when you have to wait on a group in front or something. I have yet to do that last one, but I regret it every time I find myself standing for minutes on end to hit each shot.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

I've played a fairly good variety of courses while walking - some tight, and some not so much, hills, flat, at elevation, you name it. While I certainly would be less exasperated after a round riding, I find that I'm much more focused and at the same time less in my own head when I walk. Walking just allows me to enjoy the course in an entirely different way that works well for me. I think most of the people who walk regularly would probably tell you something similar.

What makes walking truly difficult is that 1) your are expending more energy which means you need to stay hydrated and should probably pack a snack or two if you don't do these things currently. 2) when you walk, you are more exposed to the elements. If you live somewhere that gets particularly hot, you really should look at purchasing a cart with an umbrella attachment and use it to keep yourself from getting completely baked. Also worth consideration is a seat of some kind for when you have to wait on a group in front or something. I have yet to do that last one, but I regret it every time I find myself standing for minutes on end to hit each shot.

I think the umbrella holder and seat will be two absolute musts. 

I have a Clicgear 3.5+ cart which I want to add some accessories to, such as the umbrella extension to make for a better sun shade. I thought about the seat as well but heard mixed reviews.  I walk whenever possible depending on my troublesome ankle and I enjoy the game more to be honest. I will ride when I travel though. 

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:PXG: 0311 Black Ops 8° w/Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 60

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 4 w/Mitsubishi Tensei Blue

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

Just now, MWGomez said:

I have a Clicgear 3.5+ cart which I want to add some accessories to, such as the umbrella extension to make for a better sun shade. I thought about the seat as well but heard mixed reviews.  I walk whenever possible depending on my troublesome ankle and I enjoy the game more to be honest. I will ride when I travel though. 

great, thanks for the feedback, yeah, I've heard mixed thoughts on the seat.  But I'm thinking it's better to have it and not use/need it versus realizing after the fact, I should have gotten it, and then having to wait on it. 

• 1 month later...

This is the first year I am walking more then riding, I really like it, I use a tour trek that my parents had in their garage that I "borrowed" 😉. I now walk at least 9 every week and their are some courses in South Jersey that still using cart so those rounds I have to drive and while I am having fun I just feel like walking is better now. Pretty much going to stay walking from here on out 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

On 5/4/2020 at 1:12 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Great thanks very much.  I have read several other comments about the learning curve of the remote.   Interesting that you mention the social distraction, I've have seen that with other items such as cell phones, game tracking devices such as Arccos  and Game Golf and certain GPS devices that are used for that as well. 

I really like everything about the follow concept.  I could see myself however, always checking behind me to make sure it's there...LOL.    I  am wondering, it would be really neat if it could "follow" you in front of you.   You know staying within 10 yards or so of the device you are wearing on your belt, but just start out on a straight forward path.  

What do you say are the few negatives to the Stewart?

That's  hilarious about the tethered wire device..Ha

One neat thing about having a remote is you can leave the cart while looking for a ball ( yours or someone else’s) and not have to go get the cart - you just send it to you.  Use it like that a lot.

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x

I've walked primarily for my golfing life. I'll use a cart at the resort course that requires it, but walk all other rounds. Sun mountain, rovic and clicgear all make good cats for waking. I have a clicgear 3.5, I've used it for 5 years or so now. 

But with the new attachments that can turn one of these into a powered cart, I think the rovic has the advantage since it's front wheel isn't fixed and it allows the cart to turn much better with a motor. 

A different option, would be to go with the personal cart, I. E a golfboard or Finn Cycle. The Finn cycle is great, very easy to ride, lots of fun, and it has a built in seat for delays. 

I use a onewheel these days and carry my clubs on my back. it has been fantastic for my needs, but it isn't for everyone. 

But a big win for walking, you score better. I remember an article in golf digest moons ago that said walking with your own clubs was about 1.5 strokes a round better than riding in a cart. Having a caddie took off another stroke. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

I too have walked courses the vast majority of my golf life. I only use drive carts when the course requires them to be used or on courses that the terrain and/or distance between holes is too much.  Honestly, I find riding in carts (unless solo) distracting.  Walking to my ball allows me to completely focus on the upcoming shot and, in many cases because we play ready golf, move the group pace along better than going back and forth between ride partner shots.

I picked up a used Sun Mountain Speed Cart some years back and it works really well. It does have the pneumatic tires which have fallen victim to Goatheads in AZ.  I've contemplated buying the retrofit foam tires, but their more than I paid for the cart.  So, I've been reading the various threads on newer walking carts and now trying to decide whether having a motorized system is worth it.  At 59, I'm still in good shape but there have been a few holes at Madison Meadows (Ennis, MT), 5000 ft.,  where I wish it would drive itself 🤪.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Grew up learning to play only being able to walk. Over the years walking vs riding for me depended on which course I held a membership to. Mostly I was able to walk on the courses where I live/d and only rode at resort or course I was totally unfamiliar with (did that a few times to get to know the layout before walking). 

Learned early on to have plenty of water or a bottle that I could fill up from what is provided on the courses. Also walking you are expending more energy and the snacks are of importance. Snacks that don't spike blood sugar (healthy nuts/trail mix like). 

Weather related, a good umbrella and at least a rain jacket (never liked wearing rain pants). I recently added seat to pull cart to sit down on extreme hot rounds if waiting. And a good weather app on phone for receiving lightening in area, approaching storms, etc. Towels, good towels. Ones for clubs and ones for wiping sweat. 

Finally, I keep a training aid like the orange whip for stretching/warming up. Since I don't carry my bag too often, the extra weight is not really a concern and the golf bag I use has sufficient space without cluttering clubs to account for the trainer. 

What got me to switch to a push cart were three magic words: "Cart Path Only." I used to ride most of the time, but playing cart path only is probably my second least favorite thing in golf. (My least favorite thing is being unable to find a ball that was only a few yards offline.) When it's cart path only, you end up walking just as much as if you had no cart at all -- but only horizontally across the fairway -- and all that back-and-forth slows down play horribly.

My "home" course is built in a flood plain and thus doesn't drain very well, making CPO all too frequent, and I would rather carry my bag on my back than deal with CPO. I found that I enjoyed walking the course, so I switched to a push cart (Clicgear 3.5+) to get the bag off my back and haven't looked back. Now I'll walk even if the course is dry. Walking means I always have my entire bag with me if I change my mind on club selection, and it's easier to find a ball in the rough (or trees) when I can walk along the same line the ball flew.

Driver: Ping G410 LST 10.5°, Mitsubishi C6 ONYX 60 Stiff, 44.5"
Hybrids: Callaway Apex 19, 2H-4H, Fujikura Atmos TS Hybrid Blue 85 Stiff
Irons: Callaway Apex 19, 5i-AW, Aerotech SteelFiber 110 Stiff
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 Jet Black, 54-10S and 60-8M (bent to 58°), Aerotech SteelFiber 110 Stiff
Grips: Golf Pride MCC Plus-4 Align Midsize
Putter: Evnroll ER7, stock grip
Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Purchased my mother in law a clic gear 3.5+ and she loves it. Very easy to push. I myself prefer to carry. I purchased the ping hoofer bag 2020. The reviews on MGS did not lead me the wrong way. Although expensive I would say it is money well spent. The way it sits in your bag is ergonomic. Everything is planned for easy reaching and applicability 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

• 5 months later...

Grew up playing tennis, so running, sliding and sprinting was essential and required. It was very challenging to find 4.5/5.0 NTRP level regular games during the daytime in our area. I am very glad my caring loving wife suggested I give golf a try for my regular exercise. Started playing golf regularly 2 years ago by joining the club at a nearby resort after taking a break from tennis. We have an annual family cart plan but I seldom use it. Having a chance to walk the front 9 and enjoy one’s mobility, seeing the terrain and slope change after every other step gives you a different perspective on the game and life in general.

Just like baseball and tennis, I grew to enjoy the game because you get lost in the absence of time. Thankfully, Golf combined with the walking aspect was my therapy to cope with the stressful challenging year 2020. If I wanted to “ride”, I will go bring my kart/track car to the track, but that requires more work and can be a bigger production. Not an arrive and drive person, I work on my cars.

Walking really makes the golf game much more appealing to me. And the solitary nature during most of my rounds is tranquil and zen like. Plus the look on slooow players riding on carts when you pass and play thru them is so priceless specially on the uphill back 9. It’s like lapping back markers on the track. Maybe I should gift for the coming New Year our course marshals blue flags that they can wave and black flags for inconsiderate interlopers that take 15+ minutes to putt out . That should speed up pace of play...

For someone considering walking and a challenging game...try a 4 club round...it’s fun and you get to practice the 4 clubs of your choice. You will be pleasantly surprised with the results! Choose wisely

When I lived on Long Island I walked with a pull cart. Then Connecticut a pull cart. Once I moved to Tennessee I switched to a push cart. After a while it was affecting my golf game. I play mountain courses currently. So when you have to go up steep hills and have to wait to make your chip or putt because your heart is pounding and your out of breath it wasn't enjoyable.I'm in decent shape but the second hole has a nickname... "heart attack hill" Its more than a just a hill, its an adventure in stamina.

I take a cart these days due to the course. But if I was playing flatter courses I would walk with a push cart. I did look into an electric cart but they were to heavy to get in and out of the trunk with a bad back. I'm sure they are better these days. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I’ve always been a walker: I bought my wife a clicgear 4.0 this year so she could walk with me now that she’s good enough to do so. After seeing how nice hers was, I bought myself one. It’s the single best piece of golf equipment I ever purchased. I used to walk flat courses and ride others, now I walk with my golf stroller. I don’t find a correlation between my score or play walking vs riding, but I enjoy my round more when I walk and I get in some exercise as well.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

• GolfSpy MPR changed the title to Those That Converted From Riders to Walkers: Your experiences...

Definitely. I have an MGI Navigator battery operated cart with a seat. On slow days it’s sure nice to be able to sit down. I agree the remote can be distracting but you can also just walk behind it like a push cart without pushing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro