Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Harrison Shotmaker?

Surprised these haven't been made illegal, they are all about winding back technology. What's the chance they will be outlawed in the future?

I was thinking about that this weekend. But, I think the line of thinking of the USGA is that it doesn't work on bad swings and it doesn't mean that even a pretty good swing that the ball will fly straight. It's basically stabilizing the tip end of the shaft. We get much more stable tips with steel, so theoretically it would be like putting a ban on steel shafts.

It's not allowing a crappy golfer to be a good golfer, it's more or less making the shaft more stable. I think since it doesn't make good shots out of bad swings...that's why it's basically been legalized.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Shotmaker does two things: it dampens impact shock (but not residual vibration), it significantly reduces or elminates shaft deformation. The part about dampening impact shock is easily understood. The part about interrupting shaft deformation is not.

Shaft deformation is inherent in every golf shaft. Below are a link to a high speed golf swing video of Tiger Wood available on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc9Wb9JKpTE

From the video, we can all see that the shaft deformation process is apparent and inherent throughout most of the swing. It is fair to assume that Tiger Wood's golf shaft was properly fitted to him, and the tip of his golf shaft was not too soft as to produce shaft deformation.

The shaft deformation process contributes to a significant increase in inaccuracy. Reducing shaft deformation has been the quest of shaft designer everywhere. But as long as there is only one shaft body, shaft deformation will always be there, and this Tiger Wood video is one example.

The Shotmaker interrupts the shaft deformation process because it is a foreign body sitting inside the golf shaft. It made it difficult for the shaft deformation to manifest itself during golf swing as to produce up to a 40% increase in accuracy and a 30% reduction in side spin.

What the Shotmaker does to reduce shock impact also contributes to a higher degree of accuracy. Human hands are not the hand of a robot. Human skin and flesh are soft. Lower impact shock has its benefits. That said, the Shotmaker does not dampen residual vibrations like Sensicore because it does not contain any soft elements on its exterior. Residual vibrations transmit feel, and I want them to pass through to the golfer.

The Shotmaker sits at least 6" away from the tip of the golf shaft and below the flex point. It is positioned to preseve the playing characteristics of the original golf shaft. The Shotmaker is locked at one point only. It allows the golf shaft to bend and twist around it.

It took Harrison 7 years to develop this product. Harrison has received 4 patents and has pending patent on the Shotmaker design.

Amazing results. When I lock in on my next driver, I think I will be installing one. The question for me will be figuring out where to get fit for one.

I just had one installed today by Tom at Playin' Thru Golf in Plainfield. It was well worth the drive. He spent an hour fitting me with the correct one. We tried two different ones. He had me hit before and after and the results are quite astounding. I hit everything straight, even when I hit it off the toe. The crazy thing is the distance I gained. In his "lab", and then later on the practice range, I was carrying it 15 yards longer. I know it's early, but it feels good to stand over the ball and know it's going down the middle (for the most part).

Quick plug for Playin Thru Golf: It's an awesome place, run by a guy who really loves golf. If you do stop by, let him know I sent you. This was the first time I stopped by and I'll be back.

Steve Baker

A quick announcement from Harrison:

If you have placed an order with us as of today, your order has been shipped. However, our Shotmaker inventory has been depleted. The next shipment will arrive on 8/30. We do apologize for the inconvenience.

We are going to be getting some of these for the shop. The claim is 30%-40% greater accuracy. Anyone??

Shotmaker

Thanks.

I have seen and tested this product and it does work on the shaft that I have which is a Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue. I recommend anyone buying this that they first get fitted professionally before buying this product. Consequently, this insert must be fitted based on your current fitting specs. Short of this in my opinion, the insert could have no effect or negative effect or you might get lucky and have a positive effect. The package comes with a telescopin antenna like screw driver to remove the insert. Harrison only has this for woods and it might not even fit some manufacturers. So its best to buy this from a reputable club fitter rather than online in the event it doesn't work for you. Does it work? Yes, I see that my shot dispersion is five yds tighter on fairways hit and 10 yds inbound for mishits which is significant for me as I tend to miss right. Bad shots remains bad. Hope this helps.

I really want to try one of these. I have always had problems with the accuracy of my driver. Don't know if it is the shaft or just me. Knowing golf its just me!! :lol: Also I do find 140 is a little to expensive for my blood, there is not a dealer anywhere close to me.

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

The insert itself costs only $ 99. If there is a reputable golf shop near you, please let us know its name and locality and we will get in touch with them right away to have them carry the Shotmaker for you. If there is a local dealer near you, there is no need to buy the tools.

I really want to try one of these. I have always had problems with the accuracy of my driver. Don't know if it is the shaft or just me. Knowing golf its just me!! :lol: Also I do find 140 is a little to expensive for my blood, there is not a dealer anywhere close to me.

An announcement from Harrison:

For golf shaft makers, if you are interested in making Shotmaker compatible shafts, we are happy to supply you with Shotmaker compatibility specifications so that you can make golf shafts that are fully comptible with it. Pleaes contact us at 818-834-7600 and ask for Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

If you live in the DFW area and would like to participate in a test of the Harrison Shotmaker call me at 817 247 3110. Test will be in front of a Flightscope X2 with target aiming camera and high speed Casio EX-F1 cameras. I hope to complete the testing from Sept 12 - 16.

You will hit a number of shots outdoors on a range with your driver as follows:

1. your driver

2. 2g lead tape on hosel (MOI match for the weight added by the Shotmaker)

3. harrison shotmaker

4. balance certified stablizer

At the end, your driver shaft will be pulled and EI profiled with and without the shaft inserts. It will be returned with the shaft aligned and regripped. If one of the products improved your dispersion or distance, you will be offered it at my cost.

Your swing will be videoed, reviewed and critiqued by a golf swing coach. A video release is required. The shape of your shaft and the presentation of the head to the ball prior to impact will be recorded with 600 fps video @ 1/20,000 shutter speed.

EI profiles of some OEM shafts can be seen at the facebook page for Fit2Score.

If members of this forum participate, the link to the results will be posted here.

Rusty

Golf Digest America's 100 Best ClubFitter

www.fit2score.com

817 247 3110

I've been very impressed with the Harrison ShotMaker insert. My swing speed is from 108-112 mph as measured on Trackman. I asked what ShotMaker I should get and was advised to get the 'F' insert. Mind you, I had every intent of returning it with thier 30-day money back guarantee if I felt like I did not make a noticeable benefit from it.

The installation is easy. I air compress my grips on, so I had no desire to use the grip lock since I could take the grip off, insert the Shotmaker, and put my grips on.

I put the ShotMaker first on an Adams 9064LS, 10.5* loft with an Aldila RIP Gamma stock shaft. The shaft is regular flex which is way too soft for me, but I wanted to fool around with the shaft and I tipped the shaft 1-1/8" to stiffen the shaft up. The first day I used it was without the ShotMaker. I hit about 50% of the drives well, but 50% of them went too high and spinny (which I presumed it would).

The next day I inserted the ShotMaker and saw a very noticeable lower spin rate and launch angle. Eventually I started hitting it well.

I got a new shaft for the Adams 9064LS driver (Talamonti) and was hitting it well enough.

I was struggling a bit with my 3-wood. I have an Adams Fast10 that I hit decent, but too high and off the tee...too spinny. I thought the ShotMaker would be perfect for this club.

The problem was I couldn't remove the ShotMaker from the Aldila shaft. However, after asking Harrison, they did get back to me immediately and with a little bit of epoxy, I removed the ShotMaker in 20 minutes.

I then installed it into the Fast 10.

I've found the same type of results and yes...I really like it.

The basics are this:

1. It does take some practice time to get used to. I believe that we get so used to the shafts being unstable that when they are stabilized by the ShotMaker, it takes about 30 minutes to get adjusted to them.

2. It does lower the launch and spin rate. No question about that.

3. I do believe from a D-Plane perspective it helps stabilize the face thru impact.

Yesterday was the 2nd day I hit it in the Adams Fast10 3-wood and I hit it much much better...and longer. I got up on the first hole and hit a 3-wood off the tee about 265 yards.

It certainly won't help a bad swing. But, those so-so swings it helps tremendously and on those pretty good swings it's pretty much automatic.

I plan on getting another one.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

Well, I just bought one with the tool and install kit. I'll try it and report back.

Reporting back:

I wasn't all that impressed. I hit the ball as straight as I did normally in my test session. I also hit intentional cuts and draws with it as well as intentionally slicing and hooking the ball, just to see how it'd perform in those instances. It didn't fade or draw as much as it normally does, but the slices and hooks were still easy to accomplish. I like to work the ball and this made it harder for me to do so, the slight fade or draw that is. It did nothing for the intentional poor swings I put on the ball. Pulled it out because the only thing I noticed was a slight uptick in the swingweight (I installed without using the grip cap, instead opting to blow the grip off, install it, and blow the grip back on). Now selling it.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 2 weeks later...

Harrison Announces Shotmaker Tour Plan

Golfers around the world are beginning to understand and experience Shotmaker's ability to notably improve scoring. One question that inevitably follows is whether Harrison Sports plans to launch the product on the tour. Up to this point, we have responded to this legitimate question individually, but we feel it is time to state publicly our position with clarity and certainty.

At the present time, we have no plans to offer the Shotmaker to any tour player until the majority of the tour players are well informed of the Shotmaker's intended purpose and capabilities and have an ample amount of time for testing and evaluation.

We strongly encourage all of our dealers to respect the present performance balance on tour and refrain from actively marketing the Shotmaker to any tour player. Harrison Sports is constantly monitoring the global impact of the Shotmaker and its performance results. Our tentative plan is to launch it on tour no earlier than the 2013 tour season.

First and foremost, as an equipment manufacturer, we must respect the spirit of the game. It is golf that we owe our existence to, and therefore, it is our duty to preserve and sustain it for generations to come.

Golfers everywhere have demanded more models to increase Shotmaker's compatibility. To address this issue, we offer to share freely Shotmaker's compatibility specifications with any interested golf shaft makers so that they have necessary information to make compatible golf shafts.

In addition, we are pleased to announce that Harrison plans to introduce two new insert models at the 2012 PGA Show. With these additions, more golfers will be able to experience the dramatic performance enhancement that the Shotmaker is known for.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I've been a lurker/reader here at MygolfSpy for quite some time now, and have finally signed up for the forums. I've actually tweeted a few times with MyGolfSpy and bought the Powerbilt AirFoil Tour Driver based on the reviews here and recommendations. I am active poster a couple of other places, and participated in some discussions about the Shotmaker. I posted my thoughts recently on those forums, and thought I would do so here as well. I'm looking forward to posting around here, I think this is a great site.

Well, I had the opportunity to test out a few Shotmakers at my local Edwin Watts a week or so ago, and then take one out to the course. As you will see, for me I found the Shotmaker to improve my performance, but the results were sensitive to the different flexes I tried.

For the experiment, I inserted a Stiff Flex Harrison Eclipse 65 into my driver. First I can say, with or without a Shotmaker, the Eclipse immediately became one of my favorite shafts (along with Graphite Design Pershing 65). I've hit them all (and own a bunch like Fubuki, Blueboard, etc) and I find the Eclipse to be smooth feeling but tight. It is a fun shaft to play.

Anyway, to do the test, I tried to make it as “blind” as possible. By this I mean I had the Edwin Watts salesperson install the various Shotmakers (D, E, and F) and not tell me which one was installed when I hit it. For every test I took 5 swings and I did not use the backweight in the grip. Thinking back, I wish I did use the backweight because now that I took the driver to the course, I like hitting with the backweight installed. Before documenting the baseline figures, I warmed up about 20 swings into the monitor, and did not look at any results.

Base numbers without the Shotmaker were:

147 mph ball speed, 99 swing speed, 13.3* launch angle, 2561 backspin, -852 side spin, 241 carry 258 total distance, 8 yards offline

F Flex (first one I hit)

150 mph ball speed, 101 swing speed, 12.3* launch angle, 2515 backspin, -450 side spin, 244 carry, 262 total distance, 3.5 yards offline

D Flex (second one I hit)

148 mph ball speed, 108 swing speed, 13.6* launch angle, 3240 backspin, -1034 side spin, 236 carry, 249 total distance, 11 yards offline

E Flex (last one I hit)

150 mph ball speed, 103 swing speed, 13* launch angle, 2720 backspin, -665 side spin, 247 carry, 260 total distance, 6.4 yards offline

When I hit these, my initial impressions were:

I liked the first Shotmaker, could not stand the second Shotmaker, and liked the third Shotmaker. I was surprised to learn the second one I really did not like was the D. I figured it would be the F. I initially did not notice any substantial change in feel among the three Shotmakers, but I do feel that having one installed tightened up the feel of the shaft compared to hitting without a Shotmaker installed.

The next day I took these out to the driving range, and there I felt that the F flex, while giving me good results, caused the shaft to feel too “stout”. So I went with the E flex and then took it to the course.

On the course, I hit 6 of 11 fairways with my driver, and 1 of them I missed simply because I drove it too far through the dogleg. Of the 4 I missed, 2 of them were bad swings which caused low snap hooks (trying to get fancy and hit low runners into the wind). A third was a push that just missed carrying the junk by 2 yards (it was smashed, just pushed too far right), and the 4th missed by a few feet. What I saw in my mind's eye on the well struck balls was a smoothing out of any draw or fade compared to what I expected to see when I looked up at the ball flight. For instance on a draw, the ball seems to start to draw and then just settle down and slightly tumble left after it hits its apex.

So what did I learn? I think the Shotmaker does improve accuracy, as long as it is fitted correctly to one's swing. The D flex for me was a bad fit, and the results show. And even though the F flex gave me the best results, I stepped back 1 flex to E due to my feeling of not needing to commit full swing speed/energy to get good results. Now, is it worth $99 or $149 with the tools? That is for the buyer to determine. For me, someone who likes to tinker, I say "Yes". Even with a fitted shaft I feel the Shotmaker will add the last bit of performance and help keep the ball in play on those not so great swings. It will not help the pull hook swings – those shots are going left of left no matter what! But on those so-so swings, I think you'll find yourself a few yards closer to the fairway than you would have otherwise.

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

• 2 weeks later...

That is good news - congrats.

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

• 2 weeks later...

Since Shotmaker's introduction, thousands of users have posted their reviews online. Most of them are descriptive in nature. The two launch monitor screen shots below were taken during a Shotmaker fitting by a user. During the fitting, Haydn compared three scenarios: without insert (STD - blue), F insert (F FIT - red) and G insert (G FIT - green). As can be seen from the screen shots, Haydn achieved the best results with the F insert. His accuracy increased by 60%, side spin decreased by 48%, and he picked up 17 more yards.

To view more user reviews supported by launch monitor data, please follow this link. My link

flightscope-950.jpg

flightscope-600.jpg

• 1 month later...

The Shotmaker took 7 years to develop, 5 of them were in the middle of the worst recession in the past 30 years. It has received 4 patents and has patent pending. The development costs for the Shotmaker were so high it nearly brought down the company. What end users see today is the result of many years of heartache and hard work.

The device is very simple because it has been perfected over a long period of time. The Shotmaker never existed before. Every part of it needs to be invented, from the red screw down to the dual-action torque wrench.

7 years is a very long time. Most people would have given up, but we stuck to it and was gratified that tens of thousands of golfers worldwide have picked it up. Across English language golf forums everywhere, the Shotmake has received nearly 2000 positive reviews. Many credited the Shotmaker for renewing their joy of golf. Some called it the game changer.

We are highly confident about what Shotmaker is capable of delivering so it comes with a 30 day money back guarantee. There is absolutely no risk in trying.

I tried it and sold it for a loss. Did nothing for me in terms of accuracy, as I already hit my driver well. It did throw the swingweight off and cause my club to be out of balance though. Nice placebo effect I suppose, but my trackman data from when I tested it some months back supported the position that I take, it did nothing for accuracy for me, nor reducing sidespin enough to be effective.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 3 weeks later...

Next Wednesday, Harrison will be presenting the new Model 17 and 18 Shotmaker inserts at the PGA Show Demo Day. It will be held at the Orange County National Golf Center in Orlando, FL. I want to invite all of you to drop by and try out the Shotmaker insert. We are located between Nike and TaylorMade golf on Tee # 4. We will have Flightscope launch monitor on-site to show you the results.

By the way, we have prepared plenty of goodies to give away.

If you plan to attend the Show, Harrison is located at the ICG Hall. We will be presenting the Shotmaker on Thursday 1:30 pm at the ICG Seminar.

Next Wednesday, Harrison will be presenting the new Model 17 and 18 Shotmaker inserts at the PGA Show Demo Day. It will be held at the Orange County National Golf Center in Orlando, FL. I want to invite all of you to drop by and try out the Shotmaker insert. We are located between Nike and TaylorMade golf on Tee # 4. We will have Flightscope launch monitor on-site to show you the results.

By the way, we have prepared plenty of goodies to give away.

If you plan to attend the Show, Harrison is located at the ICG Hall. We will be presenting the Shotmaker on Thursday 1:30 pm at the ICG Seminar.

I will be there! This is something I've wanted to try since I first heard about it, but haven't had the chance yet.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 2 weeks later...

The PGA Show Demo Day was very busy. We were overwhlemed by the crowd around our tent.

We started out with one hitting bay, but soon grew to 3 hitting bays. We had a FlightScope launch monitor in our tent to show paritcipants the difference in performace. People were just amazed by what they saw.

There were dealers from all over the world: Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, China, Korea, Singaore, Thailand, Japan, Mexico, Germany, Ireland, Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Spain, etc. They all wanted to carry the Shotmaker. Even the golf academy affiliated with the Old Course of St. Andrew decided to carry it.

We took some videos during the Show, and this is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZulGrc99K5g

Archived