TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ace or not an Ace

Jmikecpa

So playing yesterday I get to our par three 14th hole which is a pretty little par 3 on the bay. Hole normally is a PW or 9 iron depending on where the pin is and the wind. Yesterday it was playing with the pin in the back with a right to left crosswind off the water. I decided to hit a little 8 iron and ride the wind a touch and control the flight. Hit is nice little shot that goes right over the top of the flag, hits, spins back off the flag and caught the pool noodle and didn’t stay in. The 15th tee is right behind the green and the group on the tee watched it and said it was in if there was nothing in the cup. I personally say it was a nice tap in bird from 6 inches and don’t count it as an ace. To me it is no different than a ball that flies in, hits the cup and doesn’t stay in (also has happened to me in the past).

Thoughts on how to count this one in this weird time we are living in?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I would give you an ace for that. Especially if some randoms saw and made that comment. Obviously wouldn't be able to count if the ball had hit the flagstick and bounced out but since the noodle was there and prevented the ball from staying in. 

I had a similar issue on a Par putt. Playing with 3 buddies and of course had to have the pin in and the noodle in. Hit the ball with some pace and we all watched as the ball entered the cup, ran over the noodle and went out the other side. All 3 fellow golfers immediately said if the noodle wasn't in that ball was in, needless to say I counted it!

Use :Arccos: for all clubs. Love the feedback and caddie options the app provides.

Driver: :ping-small: G400 with stock 55gram stiff flex. Just ordered a EvenFlow 75 gram stiff flex. Pumped!

3Wood: :callaway-logo-1: Epic Flash

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: 3 RBZ Rescue

Irons 5 thru A wedge: Sub70 699 irons. Project X Rifle shafts. XStiff

54° Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX4

60° Wedge: :callaway-logo-1: MD4

Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour: MyGolfSpy Most Wanted 2 years in a row!

Ball:  :srixon-small: ZStar. New believer 

If they said it hit the noodle square then I’d say yes.

I don’t see how it’d be any different than hitting a 3 footer and knocking it square against the noodle for a par.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Tough call, particularly on a shot of any distance.  It's one thing to make a judgement call on a putt, but even that's questionable if the pace is strong.  Personally, I'd opt for "nay".  Same thing just happened to Jordan Spieth.   He counted it for his total number of aces, but his playing partners made him take the double bogey (his ball careened off the green and into the water, I think).

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Tough call, particularly on a shot of any distance.  It's one thing to make a judgement call on a putt, but even that's questionable if the pace is strong.  Personally, I'd opt for "nay".  Same thing just happened to Jordan Spieth.   He counted it for his total number of aces, but his playing partners made him take the double bogey (his ball careened off the green and into the water, I think).

I tend to agree and not counting it. Main difference is mine was 6 inches from the cup when it finished up.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

5 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

So playing yesterday I get to our par three 14th hole which is a pretty little par 3 on the bay. Hole normally is a PW or 9 iron depending on where the pin is and the wind. Yesterday it was playing with the pin in the back with a right to left crosswind off the water. I decided to hit a little 8 iron and ride the wind a touch and control the flight. Hit is nice little shot that goes right over the top of the flag, hits, spins back off the flag and caught the pool noodle and didn’t stay in. The 15th tee is right behind the green and the group on the tee watched it and said it was in if there was nothing in the cup. I personally say it was a nice tap in bird from 6 inches and don’t count it as an ace. To me it is no different than a ball that flies in, hits the cup and doesn’t stay in (also has happened to me in the past).

Ace.    I''ll take a PBR long neck.

Played yesterday a local public golf the cups had like 3 door stoppers fixed around the flagstick so the ball still falls in the cup but doesn't go all the way to bottom.  

As long as Sergio isn't around to spit in the cup, should be safe.  I guess.  

If it was based only on what you saw from the tee, I'd say nice easy 2.  From that range, its impossible to tell why it stayed out.   If there were guys a lot closer who say it would have stayed in without the noodle in the hole, I'd have no problem calling it an ace.When done right, so the ball can drop close to an inch below the green surface, its pretty rare that a pool noodle will keep a ball out of the hole.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Not an ace. Sorry.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

We would give you the “COVID” Ace.
That’s been the Local designation for these types of occurrences last couple weeks.
This morning there were a couple putts in the group that grazed the PVC that had no chance of going in the hole without the pipe so putts were deemed COVID birds or Pars.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Have you ever had one before?

I mean if the randoms said it was in maybe its an Ace*. You know you can tell people what happened and all due to the current situations.  

Almost had the same thing happen yesterday and was wondering the same thing

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Have you ever had one before?
I mean if the randoms said it was in maybe its an Ace*. You know you can tell people what happened and all due to the current situations.  
Almost had the same thing happen yesterday and was wondering the same thing

Yes I have an ace only one but I have that box checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

• 5 weeks later...

Ace on my score card, specially with the unbiased opinion from the other group.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I feel like we may need some new terminology to properly document situations like @Jmikecpa experienced during this abnormal golf period.

MyGolfSpy HQ posed a similar question a few days ago.

Potential terms: 1. Less than whole, in one. 2. Lying two. 3. Cov-ace.

Do you guys have any other ideas?

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I’m in the camp of counting it. I had an eagle putt a few weeks ago go into the hole, bounce off the noodle and out. My buddies and I call it “getting noodled” (Which sounds kind of dirty I know). Such are the times we live in.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

21 minutes ago, downlowkey said:

I feel like we may need some new terminology to properly document situations like @Jmikecpa experienced during this abnormal golf period.

MyGolfSpy HQ posed a similar question a few days ago.

Potential terms: 1. Less than whole, in one. 2. Lying two. 3. Cov-ace.

Do you guys have any other ideas?

In the MyGolfSpy video, I have no idea whether that ball would have stayed in.  I've had short pitch shots fly directly into the hole, hit the bottom, and bounce back out.  For a full-length shot, ace or not, there's no way to be sure it would have stayed in.  Its a nice easy birdie in my book.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 5/4/2020 at 8:37 PM, SteddyGolf said:

Ace with an asterisk;)

Acegate? 

This is not the 2014 pats. 

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

Acegate? 
This is not the 2014 pats. 

For clarity I did not count it nor will I. My son had a lesson today and we went out and played three holes and well I holed a wedge off the tee from his tees on a hole I was not playing, guess what? Nice shot and not an ace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

To me, its not an ace. 

I feel differently about a putt that bounces out of the noodle. You are in a much better position to judge whether it would have gone it or not without the noodle. And likely have multiple sets of eyes that are on the green to confirm. A distance away, and it is just conjecture, and people on the other green have an inherit bias to give it you. Great shot. Might have been, probably would have been, an ace without the noodle, but since we can never know with the same absoluteness as pulling the ball out of the cup, its just a gimmie birdie.

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!